• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Team camps

Started by redwolf99, July 18, 2016, 01:02:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redwolf99

How is everyone looking during team camps thus far?

I would assume Bay and GP are rolling for sure. Anyone know how Emerson is adjusting and looking during their camps since Nicks left?

I didn't get the opportunity to see Kirby boys play during state but I have heard they should have a pretty good group.

OwlFan4

Emerson is slowly adjusting to new coach Garret Southerland.  Heard they beat Taylor by 1 this week, after having lost to them by 20 several weeks ago after having only a couple of practices.  Lost to Junction City by 2 this week, Jefferson hit 11 3s that game I'm told.  Players have already asked Coach Southerland why he's working them so hard.  His reply, summer practices are nothing compared to what's coming during the season.  Jefferson's cousin, a sophomore point guard is also impressing this summer even with a severe cut on a finger on his shooting hand.  Southerland, himself a gym rat, lives next to the campus, so the gym is open often for shoot-arounds on nights the team isn't practicing.  They'll be ready once the season starts, although they'll miss Revel & the other big kid when it comes to rebounding.

redwolf99

I have always known Taylor to be a baseball school and don't guess I can say I have heard of them doing anything in basketball. I know it is just summer camp so these wins don't mean anything, it just gives you an idea of what to expect come season. If Southerland is living next to the campus then I would think the gym would be open everyday if he is a "gym rat". I remember being told by someone on this site that Nick's lived 80+ miles one way from Emerson and called practice everyday. Good luck to the Pirates.

rammer

August 01, 2016, 09:16:32 am #3 Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 02:24:11 pm by rammer
 I don't base too much on team camps because some coaches try to win them and some use them to develop players and see what combinations work and give players a chance that may not play much in the season. Just going by what players are coming back I think Bay has to be the favorite to win it all again. Guy Perkins will once again be good because they do have Ballard returning and he is a great scorer.  Emerson may be behind for now because their new coach just moved in a couple of weeks ago but they will be ready to go by the time season starts. Looking at their returning roster they may be hurting on the inside with lack of size, but they do have possibly the best returning point guard in all of 1A.

PuddlePirate12

Haven't met the new coach yet, but if he can get this team past regionals he will be doing good. Jeff is good but he can't carry a team all season. There are no true leaders left. They've all graduated the last 2 seasons. I hope I'm wrong but I predict this will be a long season for Emerson, compared to recent seasons

BasketballFan8680

I Believe Jefferson can do it. In the State Tournament he led Emerson in points almost every game & assist. Winning a championship might be a different thing but getting to the semifinals I can see it.

OwlFan4

Emerson should be in much better shape physically this year than in previous years.  They've already been running more in pre-season than ever before, just ask their players.  As I understand it, the last couple of years Emerson has jumped out to big 1st half leads, and had to hold on for dear life in the second half when they ran out of gas.  They are smaller this year than last, so they must beat teams with quickness and stamina.  They may not have as much depth either, so they must be in great shape so they can play more minutes.

NWA Hawg

Owlfan I don't know who told you that Emerson "jumped out to big 1st half leads, and had to hold on for dear life in the second half when they ran out of gas," but they were very mistaken. Something like 25 of Emerson's 35 wins last year were by double digits. Thats not just holding on for dear life. In probably 7 of the other 10 wins in which Emerson won by less than 10 they were either barely up or trailing at the half and came back for the win. At least 2 of the 3 wins vs Kirby, Emerson was down at half and fought back for a win. Same with both games vs Junction. They were down 12 to Nevada early in the 4th to come back and take the win this season. Or maybe the county line semifinal game where they was down 12 in the first half to come back and win by 9. Or the year before in the semifinals where they were down to Acorn by double digits in the 4th to come back and beat them in overtime without Revels. All while playing an all out trapping defense, all game long, and doing this with NO depth. 6 players played the whole game except in blow outs with only the big boys subbing in and out. So to say that Emerson conditioning led to them having to hold on to games is just asinine. While they may be running more now than in the past, let me remind you there are other ways for coaches to condition players besides running.  Ways that build skills while conditioning. I do know that the coach before Nix ran the players religiously everyday. The kids were in some of the best shape around. However the results were a 12 win season, a 9 win season, and even a season without a team. The kids under that coach could have won a cross country state championship but couldn't shoot a ball to save there life. While it helps to be in great condition, its not the solve all. On the other hand, good luck to Emerson's track team this year. Its sounds like yall will be getting them back to there glory days of old.

PuddlePirate12

Hold on for dear life. Lol

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas