• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PA/West Helena merged threads

Started by football_head00, July 15, 2008, 01:51:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Will the Bruins or Cougars win?

Cougars
16 (32.7%)
Bruins
33 (67.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

football_head00

those guys got all they could get last year from hwh. they were scared of hwh size and strenght. hwh beat them self the score at half were 7-0 thats playin ball go cougars

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Halftime score of 2007 game: 22-13
Halftime score of 2006 game: 42-7

I'm not sure which game you are thinking, but it wasn't PA.

ppop

Don't confuse him with the facts, Coach.  He's in a happy place!

football123

Quote from: football_head00 on July 15, 2008, 01:51:09 am
those guys got all they could get last year from hwh. they were scared of hwh size and strenght. hwh beat them self the score at half were 7-0 thats playin ball go cougars

west helena is going to get rolled up

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: football123 on July 15, 2008, 10:55:16 am
west helena is going to get rolled up
I wouldn't go that far, now.  West Helena is probably the fastest overall team in the state.  I expect them to be a very tough challenge.

This person has an opinion (as do you), and that is fine; however, he was spouting off false data, so I thought I would correct him.

Papa Billie™

RED MO 1

West Helena has to make it to the game first.

7AFBFAN

I have been through HWH and I guess my theory is proven with this thread, they don't sell crack in HWH, they give it away.

football_head00

u must have came and got some of the free crack? hwh wins by two touchdowns.....i was at tha game and  p.a. got man handle in tha trenches

football_head00

final hwh wins by two touchdowns

Father Guido

Just how close is West Helena to Marion?

football_head00

ppop

westhelena1

It should be a war.  We haven't forgotten about that run-up-the-score stunt at the end of the game on that half-a-million dollar turf.  The Bruins can expect a tough battle this time on the green grass of the Delta.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: football_head00 on July 15, 2008, 06:44:27 pm
u must have came and got some of the free crack? hwh wins by two touchdowns.....i was at tha game and  p.a. got man handle in tha trenches
i just hate to get man handle.

ppop

Quote from: Oldman on July 17, 2008, 08:45:12 am
i just hate to get man handle.
I've developed a couple of man handles since I turned 45!  :'(

Maynard G Krebs

July 17, 2008, 09:29:15 am #16 Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:33:29 am by Maynard G Krebs

The 2007 game was a closer game than the 2006 game.  I was also at both games, and I do not agree that PA "got man handle in tha trenches" (sic).  See the stats below:  HWH had 8 more yards rushing (6.1 yds/carry) vs PA (6.7 yds/carry).  PA's time of possession was greater by 5 minutes and they ran 31 more plays than HWH.  PA was 57% on 4th down conversions and 71% success in the red zone. Final score 40-25.  Am I looking in the wrong trenches?

HELENA       PA
FIRST DOWNS...................       14       29
RUSHES-YARDS (NET)............31-190   27-182
PASSING YDS (NET).............    176      339
Passes Att-Comp-Int...........  24-11-1  59-32-3
TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YARDS..   55-366   86-521
Fumble Returns-Yards..........      0-0      0-0
Punt Returns-Yards............      0-0     1-26
Kickoff Returns-Yards.........     1-13     3-49
Interception Returns-Yards....     3-15      1-0
Punts (Number-Avg)............   2-36.0    0-0.0
Fumbles-Lost..................      1-0      2-1
Penalties-Yards...............     6-48      1-5
Possession Time...............    21:19    26:29
Third-Down Conversions........  2 of 10  8 of 16
Fourth-Down Conversions.......   0 of 6   4 of 7
Red-Zone Scores-Chances.......      0-2      5-7
Sacks By: Number-Yards........      0-0     8-71

ppop

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on July 17, 2008, 09:29:15 am

The 2007 game was a closer game than the 2006 game.  I was also at both games, and I do not agree that PA "got man handle in tha trenches" (sic).  See the stats below:  HWH had 8 more yards rushing (6.1 yds/carry) vs PA (6.7 yds/carry).  PA's time of possession was greater by 5 minutes and they ran 31 more plays than HWH.  PA was 57% on 4th down conversions and 71% success in the red zone. Final score 40-25.  Am I looking in the wrong trenches?

HELENA       PA
FIRST DOWNS...................       14       29
RUSHES-YARDS (NET)............31-190   27-182
PASSING YDS (NET).............    176      339
Passes Att-Comp-Int...........  24-11-1  59-32-3
TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YARDS..   55-366   86-521
Fumble Returns-Yards..........      0-0      0-0
Punt Returns-Yards............      0-0     1-26
Kickoff Returns-Yards.........     1-13     3-49
Interception Returns-Yards....     3-15      1-0
Punts (Number-Avg)............   2-36.0    0-0.0
Fumbles-Lost..................      1-0      2-1
Penalties-Yards...............     6-48      1-5
Possession Time...............    21:19    26:29
Third-Down Conversions........  2 of 10  8 of 16
Fourth-Down Conversions.......   0 of 6   4 of 7
Red-Zone Scores-Chances.......      0-2      5-7
Sacks By: Number-Yards........      0-0     8-71

Some people don't let facts stand in the way of their opinions!

Coach Kelley, PA

Quote from: westhelena1 on July 16, 2008, 10:34:33 pm
It should be a war.  We haven't forgotten about that run-up-the-score stunt at the end of the game on that half-a-million dollar turf.  The Bruins can expect a tough battle this time on the green grass of the Delta.

This has been gone over with many times before.  Someone is obvioulsy looking for something to be angry about.  We were simply trying to get the 13 points for the tiebreaker rule.  If we were trying to run up the score (which we could not do against West Helena), we would have attempted to throw a Touchdown pass on the last play instead of kicking a field goal.  That is the only field goal we kicked all year.

I hate to even debate this again but the situation deserves some clarity.

Coach Smith has done a great job at West Helena as has been proven by their season and playoff win last year.  I doubt anyone will be able to "run up the score" on West Helena while he is coaching there.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Coach Kelley, PA on July 17, 2008, 10:59:32 am
Quote from: westhelena1 on July 16, 2008, 10:34:33 pm

This has been gone over with many times before.  Someone is obvioulsy looking for something to be angry about.  We were simply trying to get the 13 points for the tiebreaker rule.  If we were trying to run up the score (which we could not do against West Helena), we would have attempted to throw a Touchdown pass on the last play instead of kicking a field goal.  That is the only field goal we kicked all year.

I hate to even debate this again but the situation deserves some clarity.

Coach Smith has done a great job at West Helena as has been proven by their season and playoff win last year.  I doubt anyone will be able to "run up the score" on West Helena while he is coaching there.
Coach, some people just cannot understand or are not willing....................

westhelena1

Others simply rationalize their ends justify the means mentality. 

Coach Venny Slocombe

Let me explain why teams like Pulaski Academy and Greenwood will always beat teams like West Helena......................Discipline.......................I watched West Helena at the 7 on 7 at Mustang Mountain last year. Loaded with talent, no question about that. They spent the better part of the day argueing with each other and the coaches. That will never work..............................

Eaglemaniac

The one stat that sicks out most to me is the penalties. 1 for 5 for PA and 6 for 48 for WH. Thats discipline! Penalties have kept WH from being a legit contender in the past. Talent is always there.

J b coog

they call today trying to buy out helena so they can have the game in the rock, i think they knew helena was going to be a ok team, but i dont think they even imaging that the cougars were going to be this loaded when he agreed to come to helena and play them. its going to be a great game but the cougars will win this year

jorpar

July 24, 2008, 07:31:24 pm #24 Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 07:32:58 pm by jorpar
The Bruins did not, in fact, try to buy off West Helena to make them come to the Rock. All of the Bruins' games are being broadcasted by 102.9. This station purportedly tried to move the game to Little Rock by discussing terms with West Helena. Please get your facts correct before making any false accusations. Either way it should be a great game and maybe one of the best for the season.

Father Guido

This is nuts.  I don't see P.A. backing down from anybody.  Why should they?

J b coog

we take our radio show on the road why cant they

meatstick01

West Helena wins the football game this year!! Pa dont have the running game to back up the passing game and they will not pass all night on the highly talented cougars!!!

westhelena1

Some more information on this saga can be found at this blog:

http://abagley.blogspot.com

Uncle Ivan

Apparently internets access has finally reached Phillips County.

Manningfan

Quote from: Father Guido on July 24, 2008, 08:28:36 pm
This is nuts.  I don't see P.A. backing down from anybody.  Why should they?

You are'nt lying they can compete with anybody.....anybodyyyyyy

westhelena1

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 24, 2008, 10:39:53 pm
Apparently internets access has finally reached Phillips County.

Yeah.  We got the internet right after they pumped in sunshine!  Come down for the game and you will find we have a lot of great culture, history, and good restaurants.  Stay Friday night at one of the fine bed and breakfasts.

westhelena1

Since the game is shaping up to be one of the more intriguing nonconference matchups, what does everyone think?

Manningfan

Bruins bury the cougars in the 2nd half  ........I predict 6 to 7 td's passes

dragon1

If the game is in Helena at Cad Polk Stadium, the Cougars are good enough to beat them.  That's the number one reason they should keep that game down there regardless of how much money they are offered to move it.

bhsbear1

I have seen them at 7 on 7 this summer.  This isn't your vintage set of Cougars.  If PA is in Phillips County, Cougars by 6.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: westhelena1 on July 24, 2008, 11:19:38 pmYeah.  We got the internet right after they pumped in sunshine!  Come down for the game and you will find we have a lot of great culture, history, and good restaurants.  Stay Friday night at one of the fine bed and breakfasts.

I know.  My folks used to live there.

I may be down there to watch my alma mater beat Helena for the umpteenth time in a row.

bhsbear1

Expect an epic battle.  These Cougars are the best HWH has had in decades.  Cougars by six.

Coach Venny Slocombe

I don't believe for one minute that PA would back down, but what is interesting is why move the game. If the TV and Radio stations want to broadcast the game then do it from West Helena. The game was originally scheduled there, so play it there. I would like to hear from Coach Depriest on this one and get the facts.

J b coog

I KNOW THEY ARENT GOING TO BAG DOWN ,CAUSE THRY HAVE A GREAT TEAM, BUT WHEN COACH SMITH CALLED AND ASK FOR A GAME COACH COULDVE SAID I WILL PLAY YOU ,BUT YOU HAVE TO COME TO THE ROCK AND EVERYTHING WOULDVE BEEN COOL BUT LIKE I SAID EARLIER I GUESS HE DIDNT KNOW THAT THEY WERE THAT LOADED DOWN, AND FIGURED THIS WOULD BE THE SAME OLD COUGAR TEAM , BUT THIS JUST IN (THE COOGS ARE GOOD

7AFBFAN

Who in their right mind would want to go to West Helena. I happened through there one night long ago and to this day am convinced it could be called West heck. I made the mistake of stopping at a convenience store and swear they had just let out the local prison or something. There were delinquents and misfits all over the place.

FD4

Oh, so now we judge an entire community by the presence of just a few people you happen to meet.  Supose you come to Wynne and find the same thing here, you telling me everyone in Wynne is a thug.  Wynne could buy ten communities its size and still have a ton of million dollar folks here left over.  Go to West Helena, Play the game, get your PA butts whipped, go home and figure out what just happened.

7AFBFAN

I am from Fort Smith dude, I was making MY statement because the convenience store parking lot literally had 100 thugs on it with no less than 3 police cars patrolling a convenience store parking lot. RED FLAG!!! We have some pretty bad areas of Fort Smith and I don't think I have ever seen anything like it. Of course I am not judging the whole community but for me it will always be the place that had an extremely large amount of thugs in one place at one time. Since we are talking football I will put my money on PA and stand by the statement why would anyone in their right mind want to travel to West Helena to play a football game.

FD4

See, that is the good thing about a forum, we get to vent, voice, promote, brag, you name it.  As for HWH, I like it down there, you just have to know who you are and where you are, perhaps it was a Thug-A-Thon or something, and I will put my money on the Coug's, That team got ripped off last year in the playoffs, and this is a new season.  Last time I was in Fort Smith, all I can say is that it was HOT AS Heck as you put it, and Hot is the same everywhere, Dude.

FD4

Well, not say it would be dirty football, but if PA is going to bring that spread thing, better have a bus load of QB's.  The Cougs's have the hosses to shred PA's O Line.

CataClysm

I graduated from Greenwood this year. i was strong safety and not to say anything about PA's line this year, but last year they were awesome. in a town like greenwood u know everybody from k-12 and im tight with travis davis and john newman and they said that PA's o line was one of the top two lines we faced. i mean idk how many graduated really but if they got some left overs from last years team they will prolly protect pretty well. I was manned up with Cruz williams all night that night and im just telling yall that spencer keith can move! he will scramble around untill somebody gets open or just run for a 20 yd gain. sacks is one area i don''t think PA has to worry about being a weakness that much.

7AFBFAN

FD4, a thug-a-thon, now that would explain a lot. It did look like they were selling chances or something.

RD™

West Helena has about as much chance of beating Pulaski Academy as Wynne having a winning season this year.

None.

CataClysm

i gotta go with my bro RD here. maybe not as definate. but i think PA will win this one. of course there's no way to tell untill the game but we played them and then went to camden and i have to say that PA was the hardest game i played all year. and yes.... i did start. im not just drinkin the blue koolaid.lol

CataClysm

coach kelley, ok i have just started posting on here because i felt weird doing it when i was playing but i graduated this year from greenwood and you, sir, are a mastermind. i was the strong safety and me and coach poole and coach chick watched hours of film that week. i was manned up on Cruz and ur play calling was ridiculous!(good i mean) that was the hardest game ive ever played and ive played 14 games for three years straight. just had to let u know you do a great job and PA is an incredible team with hard workin kids. they were really classy too. we played some teams that could talk some trash man but they were pretty cool. i actually told Cruz at one point to slow down cuz he was killing me.lol he laughed. anyway just thought i would tell u you are doing a good job.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas