• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Punting vs place kicking question

Started by YC, August 30, 2017, 11:27:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

YC

I need someone who knows the rules better than I to help me out on this.

Dardanelle has a great place kicker with a strong leg. It doesn't matter their position on the field, when they need to punt they use him instead of punting to actually place kick the ball instead of punting. He is able to pretty much kick the ball to a certain position on the field. I see no problem with that if that's what they want to do.

This is what I question... Last night they did that on numerous occasions. In one instance, it appeared (I use appeared because I don't know) to purposely kick the ball out of bounds at about the ten yard line. Isn't that considered as a field goal attempt? If so, should not the ball be placed at the twenty. The ball was placed at the point it went out of bounds. If it were considered as a punt wouldn't the ball be dead at the point the holder had his knee on the ground?

A field goal attempt is a scrimmage kick and treated like a punt.  Sounds like the officiating crew handled it correctly.

YC

Thank you for your answer.

WOW...Don't know why more people aren't doing this.

If faced with a situation where you have 4th and long near the opponents forty just send in the place kicker to kick out of bounds as near the goal as possible. I think that would probably be more successful than having punter try it or pooch kick. 

Rocket23

Quote from: YC on August 30, 2017, 11:27:45 am
I need someone who knows the rules better than I to help me out on this.

Dardanelle has a great place kicker with a strong leg. It doesn't matter their position on the field, when they need to punt they use him instead of punting to actually place kick the ball instead of punting. He is able to pretty much kick the ball to a certain position on the field. I see no problem with that if that's what they want to do.

This is what I question... Last night they did that on numerous occasions. In one instance, it appeared (I use appeared because I don't know) to purposely kick the ball out of bounds at about the ten yard line. Isn't that considered as a field goal attempt? If so, should not the ball be placed at the twenty. The ball was placed at the point it went out of bounds. If it were considered as a punt wouldn't the ball be dead at the point the holder had his knee on the ground?

For the ball to come out to the 20 on punt or fg attempt, it has to cross the goal line.  Otherwise it is placed where it went out of bounds.  Just like the old Ray Guy coffin corner punts.

Rulesman

A punt is a scrimmage kick. A FG attempt is a scrimmage kick that can score. There seems to be more and more teams adopting the FG philosophy. Based on what you described, it sounds like the crew got it right.

Maynard G Krebs

Good to know.  Learning things every day.

Redwolves8526

Marion has been doing this the past few years. Seems to work great.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas