• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ummm...Gotta question

Started by HorseFeathers, October 13, 2014, 09:35:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HorseFeathers

October 13, 2014, 09:35:18 pm Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 05:57:44 pm by HF
I have a poll submitted in the top then...that I think I'll let stand. But I wanted to see somebody Defend it.

1. Hoxie
2. Booneville
3. Charleston

....And Go!

adaptedtigerfan

OLDSCHOOL82

I have no clue.  I have never seen Hoxie play and have no common opponents to go on.

Proud Buckaroo

Hoxie is a good team. No doubt. But their sloppy loss to Earle last season just shows they fold under pressure. Rich has them above Smackover and Prescott on his poll. I don't believe Hoxie could beat Charleston, Booneville, Prescott or Smackover.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on October 13, 2014, 09:39:50 pm
Looks good to me.   

You just want somebody to take the target off of Charleston

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on October 13, 2014, 09:40:02 pm
I have no clue.  I have never seen Hoxie play and have no common opponents to go on.

Yeah that's my problem too....Just found it interesting because no one else them above 3rd

Proud Buckaroo

They are a good team. I'm not knocking them at all. It's just hard to believe they are a top 4 team. With them going to be in the top of the bracket with Booneville, Prescott and Chuck-fi-la it's going to be hard for them to surpass that.

nastynice

No way, put Charleston ahead of Booneville. I know nothing about Hoxie.

YC

I say let it stand. Hoxie is undefeated and looking strong. I see no problem with someone voting them No.1

YC

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: IofthaTiger on October 13, 2014, 09:50:31 pm

I say let it stand. Hoxie is undefeated and looking strong. I see no problem with someone voting them No.1

YC

I'm pretty sure we know who voted them number. I'm not sure how many posters they have. All I know of is "MustangRampage." I agree to let a fan vote their team number one, but when you are making poll votes. You got to be understanding of other teams.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on October 13, 2014, 09:53:42 pm

YC

I'm pretty sure we know who voted them number. I'm not sure how many posters they have. All I know of is "MustangRampage." I agree to let a fan vote their team number one, but when you are making poll votes. You got to be understanding of other teams.

Beats the heck out of the guy that kept voting EPC in the 3A poll.. I kept counting it as Episcopal though...

MustangRampage

October 13, 2014, 11:20:26 pm #10 Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:12:13 am by MustangRampage

YC

I didn't vote us #1.  I left ole Chucktown up there.  That spot is theirs until someone takes it from them.  But to answer one of your points from a previous post, how does anything that happened last year have any bearing on the kids playing the games this year?  Most of the mistakes made in the Earle game that ultimately wound up costing us the game were made by seniors who are no longer here.  All I see when I look at this years team is a bunch of two and three year starters who have continuously gotten better year to year and game to game.

Do we have a crappy draw in the bracket?  You bet we do.  However, these kids aren't afraid of anyone.  We welcome a matchup with anyone and will give them a game from start to finish.  If this means our path takes us to Charleston, I know a quarterback who is itching to show he's just as good as anyone else you came to see.  There's a reason they say "That's why they play the games."

MustangRampage

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on October 13, 2014, 09:40:59 pm
Hoxie is a good team. No doubt. But their sloppy loss to Earle last season just shows they fold under pressure. Rich has them above Smackover and Prescott on his poll. I don't believe Hoxie could beat Charleston, Booneville, Prescott or Smackover.

Also, by this line of rationale, Prescott and Smackover can't deserve to be rated as high as they are.  Last time I checked, only Charleston won the last game of the season. A playoff loss is a playoff loss.  Last year has no bearing on this year.

BUCK FEVER

October 14, 2014, 12:07:22 am #12 Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 07:43:12 am by BUCK FEVER
Quote from: MustangRampage on October 13, 2014, 11:28:15 pm
Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on October 13, 2014, 09:40:59 pm

Also, by this line of rationale, Prescott and Smackover can't deserve to be rated as high as they are.  Last time I checked, only Charleston won the last game of the season. A playoff loss is a playoff loss.  Last year has no bearing on this year.

IN defense for smackovers rating, you must consider, they did play in the semi finals, was one of the final 4 and 95 % of that same team is back plus an additional 10 or 12  norphlet players, 2 or 3 of which are high quality and a great addition to an already proven team, plus a a very good def end pre season transfer from Quitman,  smackover has earned there ranking, at least untill they screw it up................................as far as Hoxie  being ranked high, it does not bother me, it will all come out in the wash.

Big Red

YC

C'mon man.  You might be the least objective person on this forum.  You vote more with your heart that with your head and you vote against teams the same way. 

Big Red

My response was to Proud Buck, just to be clear.

WPWells

PB, I voted y'all ahead of Hoxie (because the numbers said to) but your argument is invalid. Hoxie made the quarters last year. Yes, they did lose to Earle, but you're making it sound like a loss in the semis is a significantly better loss. Both teams lost to teams that were mercy ruled by Charleston the next round. At this point I see nothing wrong with someone voting Hoxie number 1

KOJACK

When you dirt roll your only legitimate competition in conference, you should be claiming #1 right

adaptedtigerfan

Yes..  Prescott n Hoxie are tied for 1st

KOJACK

Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on October 14, 2014, 08:10:59 am
Yes..  Prescott n Hoxie are tied for 1st
We haven't skull drug BHG...yet ;D

OLDSCHOOL82

Skull Drug is such a violent term. Just pitcure that for a second.

Jimbo Morphis

who in the top 10 wouldn't be undefeated playing hoxie's schedule?

nastynice

Quote from: Oldman on October 14, 2014, 09:33:30 am
Booneville's Junior High could go 8-2 and maybe even 10-0 against that schedule. ;D

OB11

Valid point.  Hoxie's conference is really not that strong.  If you go solely off name recognition in the 3-3A, Rivercrest and Osceola are both in that conference.  Hoxie beat Rivercrest convincingly and will do the same to Osceola this week.  With that being said, both of those schools are not quite as good as they have been in the past.  After Rivercrest and Osceola there is no one else in that conference that could even think about competing with Hoxie.  The conference as a whole is down and Hoxie happens to have the best team that has come through there in a while.  It's set up perfectly for Hoxie to dominate that conference.  Does that warrant a #1 ranking in the state?  Not so sure about that but it is an interesting thought to entertain.  I just don't know if they are on the same level as Charleston, Booneville, or Prescott.  It will be fun to watch come playoff time. 

MustangRampage

I'm still not saying we should be #1.  As I said before, that honor is Charleston's until someone comes and takes it from them.  I also know that the conference is weaker than it has been in the past.  However, that's not the kids fault.  All they can do is play who is front of them.  Considering we're a missed PAT away from being 6-0 with 6 mercy rules, I would say they have done that.

All that being said, I agree with a previous poster that it's all a moot point.  Everything will be settled in due time.

BUCK FEVER

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on October 14, 2014, 10:00:35 am

Valid point.  Hoxie's conference is really not that strong.  If you go solely off name recognition in the 3-3A, Rivercrest and Osceola are both in that conference.  Hoxie beat Rivercrest convincingly and will do the same to Osceola this week.  With that being said, both of those schools are not quite as good as they have been in the past.  After Rivercrest and Osceola there is no one else in that conference that could even think about competing with Hoxie.  The conference as a whole is down and Hoxie happens to have the best team that has come through there in a while.  It's set up perfectly for Hoxie to dominate that conference.  Does that warrant a #1 ranking in the state?  Not so sure about that but it is an interesting thought to entertain.  I just don't know if they are on the same level as Charleston, Booneville, or Prescott.  It will be fun to watch come playoff time.

or  Smackover.

HorseFeathers

a constructive conversation on fearless friday? I didnt know those still happened wow....guess ive been on the 2a board for to long...

KOJACK

I personally don't see how Hoxie could be more impressive than they have already this year. They have demolished every team they've played. With that said IMO they would struggle vs the 4 big dogs this year.

adaptedtigerfan

2 bad that 3 of the 4 will be on the same side of the bracket.

Proud Buckaroo

I see a few people mislead my post. I am not saying that Hoxie isn't a good team. I'm just saying that as of now. Their conference is pretty down this year. Their only teams that could have been a good challenge. They have already beat them. I'm also not saying the person that voted then #1 shouldn't have. Of course, you want to vote your team #1. Some times I want to vote Smackover number 1. I'm not saying Hoxie isn't a good team. They couldn't be any more impressive than they are. I was just stating an opinion is all. I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes.

Pastureboy21

Bald Knob...

Buck50

1. Charleston
2. Booneville
3. Prescott

Doesn't matter after that. These three will beat any other 3A in the state.

Proud Buckaroo

That's the thing. Those three will be in the top of the bracket. So there will only be one remaining.

BUCK FEVER

This thread has been taken over by wimps. ::)

Mr.Fridaynight11

Dont know a lot about Hoxie, But I know That Hoxie played booneville in 2005 in the playoffs At Booneville. And we beat them 35-0  ;D

MustangRampage

Quote from: Mr.Fridaynight11 on October 14, 2014, 02:07:19 pm
Dont know a lot about Hoxie, But I know That Hoxie played booneville in 2005 in the playoffs At Booneville. And we beat them 35-0  ;D

Well that most certainly is a valid predictor of present circumstances.  The seniors on that team are 27-28 years old now.

Mr.Fridaynight11

Quote from: MustangRampage on October 14, 2014, 05:02:23 pm
Quote from: Mr.Fridaynight11 on October 14, 2014, 02:07:19 pm

Well that most certainly is a valid predictor of present circumstances.  The seniors on that team are 27-28 years old now.
I was no trying to compare it to present circumstances.

snoopy22

I'm okay with a #1 vote for Hoxie.  They have been very impressive.  Rivercrest has a good team and they destroyed them.

MustangRampage

So, reading back through the posts, it seems the biggest knock on Hoxie is the strength of schedule.  I concede that point and can do nothing but wait for the playoffs.

However, after looking through the schedules of the so-called "Big Four," it's kind of hard to see how Smackover isn't looped into the same strength of schedule boat with Hoxie.  The one good team on the schedule, Junction City, resulted in a loss.  I may be wrong here.  It's hard to know how good teams are in other parts of the state because we can't exactly watch them on television.  I'm just curious as to what you guys think?

OB11

Quote from: MustangRampage on October 14, 2014, 05:44:24 pm

So, reading back through the posts, it seems the biggest knock on Hoxie is the strength of schedule.  I concede that point and can do nothing but wait for the playoffs.

However, after looking through the schedules of the so-called "Big Four," it's kind of hard to see how Smackover isn't looped into the same strength of schedule boat with Hoxie.  The one good team on the schedule, Junction City, resulted in a loss.  I may be wrong here.  It's hard to know how good teams are in other parts of the state because we can't exactly watch them on television.  I'm just curious as to what you guys think?

Therein lies the real problem with all this.  It's almost impossible to compare teams during the regular season from other parts of the state.  There are usually no common opponents in non-conference and if you steamroll through a weak conference schedule it doesn't give much to go of off when it comes to rankings.  I totally agree with the fact that a down conference is no fault at all to the players.  They've got no control over anyone but themselves.  The truth of the matter is, no one knows how good anyone else really is until playoff time.  Ask the 2013 Earle Bulldogs.  I know they aren't the typical case but it just goes to show how unpredictable rankings can be. 

501Arkansas

Hoxie? Hoxie going to what Osceola?  :o ??? ??? ???... Osceola beat hoxie last night. It was hoxie homecoming and them Seminoles are  in the driver sit in the 3-3a. Quit downing the Seminoles

HorseFeathers

Easy to talk smack after the game isn't it?

501Arkansas

And its easy to talk smack before the game isn't it?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: 501Arkansas on October 19, 2014, 09:44:59 pm
And its easy to talk smack before the game isn't it?

Might ought to work up on your reading skills...Nobody trash talked Osceola, at least not in this thread. They were listed as one of 2 teams in the conference that should be able to compete with Hoxie. Wouldn't you say Osceola beat Hoxie by 5 Is a competitive game?

501Arkansas

Okay man the game is over 1 point 2 points it doesn't matter lol. People were saying hoxie was going to do this and that and what happened?...Hoxie has a team full of seniors and Osceola has a team full of sophomore's and out played them. But  its suppose to be an blowout? C'mon man

OB11

All I was saying in my previous post was that Rivercrest and Osceola were the only teams in the 3-3A that could compete with Hoxie.  I did not think Osceola would beat them, but they did.  And I give all the credit in the world to them for doing so.  Makes this conference and the last regular season game between Rivercrest and Osceola very interesting.  Should be fun to watch. 

Jalkuranis

Someone is a little sensitive.

OLDSCHOOL82

To be honest its pretty easy to talk smack before, during, or after the game.  I mean its only key strokes!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas