• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bauxite

Started by Pick_DA_EAGLES, August 08, 2015, 05:27:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BM22

Quote from: LIKE IT IS on May 12, 2016, 07:57:03 pm
It's truly sad that Bauxite may not field a team next season due to low numbers. The school board/superintendent obviously made a bad decision by not keeping Coach Guthrie as HC. It would have been fun watching Guthrie's Diamond-T offense this past season (with 35+ players no doubt) - knowing he is a disciple of "The General" Coach Campbell from Wynne. Players are not stupid. When players cry at a board meeting because Coach Guthrie was not named HC, something is drastically wrong. Great players become uncommitted and non-dedicated and good players choose not to play and/or transfer. It has nothing to do with work ethic or off-season workout programs. The new HC's off-season workout is a joke compared to Coach Guthrie's.

It's easy to have "Watson's Miner Attitude" when you're playing Cutter Morning Star, Bismarck, Mt. Ida, Mt. Pine, Centerpoint, Sparkman, and Caddo Hills as opposed to NASHVILLE, ARKADELPHIA, MALVERN, ASHDOWN, MENA, and ROBINSON. It actually amazes me that Bauxite only won one state championship with that roster and opponents in the late '90s.

I feel sorry for Coach Prescott. I'm sure he is a good coach but he should have done a little more research before accepting the job. The school board not only set the Bauxite football program back extensively - but perhaps set Coach Prescott's career back as well. Until the school board/community/old timers realize it's 2016 - instead of 1996, they will continue to be unsuccessful.

+1. Well said. It's good to hear a "REALIST", like yourself, put things into perspective.

beach bum

I agree, I am not familiar with Bauxite but know enough about Guthrie that you don't let that guy get away.

LIKE IT IS

Not from around here either. Went to grade school in NE Arkansas. Graduated HS in Saline Co. though. I am close and friends with some "die hard" Bauxite people.  Hopefully they will turn it around soon. Interesting to see how Bryant and Harmony Grove do with new coaches.

Mr. Mercer

I don't have a dog in the fight. Just an outsider.  I get parents and players wanted Guthrie, but their reaction to not getting who they wanted is what set Bauxite back the most. They didn't even give Prescott a chance before many left. Guthrie had one season where he won 4 games. Most of that is because of Ben Madison. The only stud athlete that school has had in a long time. They've had some success in Jr High the past few years but apparently those kids are quitting or transferring. Can't build a program when your kids leave for greener pastures. Parents teaching kids that you can just quit on a program, town and their teammates. How about stay and change the culture.

Eagle20

Quote from: Oldman on May 03, 2016, 01:48:12 pm
so why are the kids not playing?
I know this.  When the new coach moved in many things were tried to force the kids into offseason football.  It backfired with many of the basketball/football players because they were basketball first kids but could have really helped the football program.  They wanted to be able to work on basketball in the offseason also.  Bottom line is, they need the dual sport kids but you have to be willing to split time in the offseason or many won't play.

Dayton Kitchens

I was wondering how much the attitude change at Bauxite is the culmination of changes in the surrounding area.   Kind of like how Frank Broyles used to actually sell U. of A. as having "no distractions" for incoming freshman because it was an isolated small town.

Bauxite used to be a pretty isolated, hard to get to small town.    Now not so much.   I can remember just a handful of years ago when Bryant for example didn't even have a Walmart.    Now its basically another wing of Little Rock.   In other words instead of a small town tucked into the woods,   Bauxite has all the features of a major city just a short hop up the road.

BM22

Quote from: Mr. Mercer on May 14, 2016, 07:22:52 pm
I don't have a dog in the fight. Just an outsider.  I get parents and players wanted Guthrie, but their reaction to not getting who they wanted is what set Bauxite back the most. They didn't even give Prescott a chance before many left. Guthrie had one season where he won 4 games. Most of that is because of Ben Madison. The only stud athlete that school has had in a long time. They've had some success in Jr High the past few years but apparently those kids are quitting or transferring. Can't build a program when your kids leave for greener pastures. Parents teaching kids that you can just quit on a program, town and their teammates. How about stay and change the culture.
Yeah, those 4 wins in the 2014 season were a direct result of Madison's athletic ability, a good jr and sr class, and Coach Guthrie leading the program. There was more positivity on that team than the  prevoius 4 seasons, when they only had 5 combined wins. Dont believe "parents are just teaching the kids to quit the program" or transfer to another school. More than enough players walking the hallways. Just need to get them to particpate and buy into the program. Turning a program around takes time and in Bauxites case, it could take several years. Prescott definately has his work cut out for him. It is gonna take  great coaching, alot of patience, positivity, and a great off season program. Having fun needs to replace the dreadfulness of being on the field. It really helps to have a "love for the game". If a kid doesn't get some kind of enjoyment from playing, the coaches aren't going to get the best effort out of the kid.

BHS1989

May 15, 2016, 08:31:09 pm #207 Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 08:36:01 pm by BHS1989
"Madison is 2nd best athlete. Dan Dawson was the best."

Quote from: AirWarren on August 10, 2015, 06:45:15 am
Correct.
And guess what, Dan Dawson transferred to Bauxite from BENTON! And he wasn't the best athlete to come thru Bauxite......................
Ask people who were born and raised there and they'll tell you (and it won't be Dan Dawson)

AirWarren

Why would he stay in Benton for football during that time? Bauxite was the winning program of that time in saline county.

BM22

Quote from: BHS1989 on May 15, 2016, 08:31:09 pm
"Madison is 2nd best athlete. Dan Dawson was the best."
And guess what, Dan Dawson transferred to Bauxite from BENTON! And he wasn't the best athlete to come thru Bauxite......................
Ask people who were born and raised there and they'll tell you (and it won't be Dan Dawson)
1. Leon "Muscles" Campbell
2. Dawson
3. Madison
Is it true, that when Muscles arrived on the U of A campus in the mid 40's, that he bent a railroad spike in half?

AirWarren

That is the tale about muscles Campbell.

BHS1989

Quote from: AirWarren on May 15, 2016, 10:20:38 pm
Why would he stay in Benton for football during that time? Bauxite was the winning program of that time in saline county.
He went to Bauxite because he couldn't start at Benton! Which is why most of the kids that leave Benton end up at Bauxite, Harmony Grove, & Glen Rose. At that time, the level of competition Benton (AAAA at that time) played was much better than that at any of the lower classifications

riccoar

Quote from: BHS1989 on May 16, 2016, 12:47:35 pm
He went to Bauxite because he couldn't start at Benton! Which is why most of the kids that leave Benton end up at Bauxite, Harmony Grove, & Glen Rose. At that time, the level of competition Benton (AAAA at that time) played was much better than that at any of the lower classifications
I highly doubt it was because he couldn't start.  1996 Bauxite was the best team in any classification in Saline County football.  Politics at every school, but much more then at Benton versus now.  heck, when Fite was the head coach, sophomore's were simply spectators that dressed out.

AirWarren

Quote from: BHS1989 on May 16, 2016, 12:47:35 pm

That's the most ignorant thing I've ever heard. Typical Benton mentality. The guy went on to play in the NFL. Believe it or not, Benton football is no household name in Arkansas. A couple of good years here in there doesn't make them "something to brag about". Dawson went where football was relevant in Saline county. And that isn't Benton Panther Football.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: AirWarren on May 16, 2016, 02:01:54 pm
That's the most ignorant thing I've ever heard. Typical Benton mentality. The guy went on to play in the NFL. Believe it or not, Benton football is no household name in Arkansas. A couple of good years here in there doesn't make them "something to brag about". Dawson went where football was relevant in Saline county. And that isn't Benton Panther Football.

Who did he play for in the NFL?

Jack1990

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 16, 2016, 02:20:01 pm
Who did he play for in the NFL?

Leon L. Campbell (July 1, 1927 – September 2, 2002) was an American football fullback who played five seasons in the National Football League (NFL) for the Baltimore Colts, the Chicago Bears, and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Campbell played college football at the University of Arkansas before being a 2nd round selection (15th overall pick) in the 1950 NFL Draft

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Jack1990 on May 16, 2016, 02:34:07 pm
Leon L. Campbell (July 1, 1927 – September 2, 2002) was an American football fullback who played five seasons in the National Football League (NFL) for the Baltimore Colts, the Chicago Bears, and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Campbell played college football at the University of Arkansas before being a 2nd round selection (15th overall pick) in the 1950 NFL Draft

We were talking about Dan Dawson.

AirWarren

Seattle Seahawks.

SUGARTOWN

BM22

Quote from: AirWarren on May 16, 2016, 03:04:14 pm
Seattle Seahawks.
Nope. The only thing I can find, as far as the NFL goes, is that he was in the Arizona Cardinals training camp in 2002. He is not on the All time Cardinals roster list, however. Dawson did make the roster of the now defunct AF2 Wichita Stealth in 2003. Can't find any info that he played in the NFL.

BM22

Quote from: AirWarren on May 16, 2016, 02:01:54 pm
Bashing the Benton Panthers again, I see.......lol
Just looked at the Razoback recruiting database. In just the past 50-55 years, there have been 22 FORMER PANTHERS sign with the Hogs, including  the Fulcher brothers,, B. Barrow, S. Long, D . White, and J. Moore. 22 dude!! Go back pre 1960 and I am sure there are many more.  Tell all those fellas that B Panther football is "no household name in Arkansas" or is not "relevant in Saline Co". Glad that Broyles, Holtz, Hatfield and other Hog coaches believed that Panther football was relevant. Been tons of talent come through Benton HS.
Curious to hear the next bit of garbage that you spew about Benton Football not meaning anything to Saline Co.

AirWarren

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 16, 2016, 03:14:16 pm
You sure about that?

http://history.seahawks.com/roster.asp

Yeah. I'm married to a miner and have heard their history. He was drafted to the Seahawks.

BHS1989

Quote from: AirWarren on May 16, 2016, 08:18:08 pm
Yeah. I'm married to a miner and have heard their history. He was drafted to the Seahawks.
Funny how he was drafted by Seattle but shows up nowhere on their all-time roster  ;D

BM22

Quote from: BHS1989 on May 16, 2016, 09:07:32 pm
Funny how he was drafted by Seattle but shows up nowhere on their all-time roster  ;D
Yeah, you can look up the Seattle Seahawk draft-reference, and It shows that Dawson was never drafted by Seattle. All I can find is that he made the roster of the defunct Wichita Stealth of the AF2.

minerjack

Quote from: AirWarren on May 16, 2016, 08:18:08 pm
Drafted to the Cardinals.

minerjack

Quote from: BM22 on May 16, 2016, 09:48:47 pm
Yeah, you can look up the Seattle Seahawk draft-reference, and It shows that Dawson was never drafted by Seattle. All I can find is that he made the roster of the defunct Wichita Stealth of the AF2.
Dan Dawson suffered two broken knees while with the Cardinals in the 2002 season and underwent many major surgeries.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: minerjack2212 on May 16, 2016, 11:04:50 pm
hard for aw to keep all this football stuff straight during soccer season.

Jack1990

Quote from: Oldman on May 17, 2016, 07:42:47 am
hard for aw to keep all this football stuff straight during soccer season.

You think he gets his football and his futbol mixed up???

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Jack1990 on May 17, 2016, 08:03:58 am
You think he gets his football and his futbol mixed up???
yup he thinks futbol is a sport.

AirWarren

Quote from: minerjack2212 on May 16, 2016, 11:04:50 pm

Regardless. He went to the NFL hahaha

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: AirWarren on May 17, 2016, 09:01:47 am
Regardless. He went to the NFL hahaha

Maybe he signed a free agent contract prior to "breaking both of his knees", because he wasn't drafted by the Cardinals and isn't listed on their roster at any time.

AirWarren

Maybe. But my point is, if he was good enough to get a free agency if that's what in fact he did, he would have been good enough to play at Benton High School. I think we can agree on that.

coachwinn33

Pretty Sure Dawson's dad was an administrator at Bauxite

AirWarren

So did they cancel the season or not? It was a discussion over Sunday lunch this past weekend and no one knew as of yet.

minerjack

I havent seen anything on social media from the normal people I get updates from.  So, I'm guessing there has been no cancellation of the season.

AirWarren

Thanks for the update. Maybe there will be an update on their situation soon.

BM22

The only thing cancelled was the spring game. Maybe they can talk to the student body and get some of the boys that played back in jr high to come back out. Need to get those numbers up. From what I have heard, no returning starters, about 6 boys that have high school experience and majority of the team are incoming 10th graders. Gonna be a very long season with that schedule. Hopefully, the coaches can keep the moral up because I dont think they will have even 1 win this year. Hate that for them.

Beaver Fever

I heard all the coaches have jumped ship

quicksand

Sure is a shame.  A solid program until a few years ago.  Promoted someone from within that could only manage 5 wins in 4 years.  An interim coach that was one touchdown away from matching the win record in one year compared to the last four years but sadly was not allowed to continue.  Hired a coach that managed to dress out only 21 players and was a few plays away from going winless in the first year.  Now no one cares to even play. 

BM22

Quote from: quicksand on May 25, 2016, 07:49:05 pm
Sure is a shame.  A solid program until a few years ago.  Promoted someone from within that could only manage 5 wins in 4 years.  An interim coach that was one touchdown away from matching the win record in one year compared to the last four years but sadly was not allowed to continue.  Hired a coach that managed to dress out only 21 players and was a few plays away from going winless in the first year.  Now no one cares to even play.
That is it in a nutshell. This mess is going into its 7th year and unfortunately, no one seems to have an answer for the downward spiral Bauxite is in (although Guthrie gave them a ray of hope during the interim season).  I think they are getting ready to hit rock bottom, possibly going winless for 2-3 seasons. I hope i am wrong.

BM22

Quote from: Beaver Fever on May 25, 2016, 04:20:43 pm
I heard all the coaches have jumped ship
Lol..... No, just 1 high school and 1 junior high coach.

minerjack

No one seems to have an answer?  I've been telling you for six months.

minerjack

Seems like you're just in denial. If I'm wrong, tell me what the issue is. Please. I'm begging you. Enlighten me.

BM22

Quote from: minerjack2212 on May 25, 2016, 10:09:49 pm
Seems like you're just in denial. If I'm wrong, tell me what the issue is. Please. I'm begging you. Enlighten me.
C'mon man, surely you know the answer to that. You can not be that football illiterate, can you?
All you have to do is be observant and you'll answer your own question.

Beaver Fever

I think some more have left since you last checked.   looks like bauxite will have a new staff from top to bottom next year.  One more bad hire and it's over. 

BM22

Quote from: Beaver Fever on May 26, 2016, 07:32:35 am
I think some more have left since you last checked.   looks like bauxite will have a new staff from top to bottom next year.  One more bad hire and it's over.
Wow! Can it get any worse for the Miners?  I am gonna have to check in on that. How many coaches do they have left?

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: BM22 on May 26, 2016, 07:41:31 am
Wow! Can it get any worse for the Miners?  I am gonna have to check in on that. How many coaches do they have left?

One coach per player I think...

tmycjy

Quote from: LIKE IT IS on May 12, 2016, 07:57:03 pm
It's truly sad that Bauxite may not field a team next season due to low numbers. The school board/superintendent obviously made a bad decision by not keeping Coach Guthrie as HC. It would have been fun watching Guthrie's Diamond-T offense this past season (with 35+ players no doubt) - knowing he is a disciple of "The General" Coach Campbell from Wynne. Players are not stupid. When players cry at a board meeting because Coach Guthrie was not named HC, something is drastically wrong. Great players become uncommitted and non-dedicated and good players choose not to play and/or transfer. It has nothing to do with work ethic or off-season workout programs. The new HC's off-season workout is a joke compared to Coach Guthrie's.

It's easy to have "Watson's Miner Attitude" when you're playing Cutter Morning Star, Bismarck, Mt. Ida, Mt. Pine, Centerpoint, Sparkman, and Caddo Hills as opposed to NASHVILLE, ARKADELPHIA, MALVERN, ASHDOWN, MENA, and ROBINSON. It actually amazes me that Bauxite only won one state championship with that roster and opponents in the late '90s.

I feel sorry for Coach Prescott. I'm sure he is a good coach but he should have done a little more research before accepting the job. The school board not only set the Bauxite football program back extensively - but perhaps set Coach Prescott's career back as well. Until the school board/community/old timers realize it's 2016 - instead of 1996, they will continue to be unsuccessful.

Hey I had his class went he was coaching at Wynne it a shame they didn't make him head coach he would have been perfect for bauxite school districts

minerjack

Quote from: Beaver Fever on May 26, 2016, 07:32:35 am
And I wouldn't count on a quality hire after this. The state has seen what Prescott has gone through and not many larger names will want to touch it.

GuvHog

Quote from: minerjack2212 on May 26, 2016, 11:47:54 am
And I wouldn't count on a quality hire after this. The state has seen what Prescott has gone through and not many larger names will want to touch it.

Maybe it's time for the Bauxite district to hang it up and merge with either Benton or Bryant.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas