• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lincoln open?

Started by beach bum, April 01, 2015, 10:26:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

Can anyone confirm that their HC is already leaving after just one season? If so me and others from that area could have told the administration this is what was going to happen.

IPROFB

Quote from: beach bum on April 01, 2015, 10:26:01 am
Can anyone confirm that their HC is already leaving after just one season? If so me and others from that area could have told the administration this is what was going to happen.

Yes.

beach bum

April 01, 2015, 10:40:51 am #2 Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:49:49 am by beach bum
It cracks me up. The AD stated last year... "we just made a home run hire". A home run hire would have been hiring Craig Laird, the DC at Prairie Grove because Laird would have stayed for the long haul and has a proven track record. He has even been an assistant at Nashville and the HC of West Fork years ago. And he has been with PG for over 10 years now. He has the experience. Instead, because they are Lincoln they didn't even give the most qualified applicant an interview  ::)

Tigerdad2

He was a HC at the age of 27 at West Fork and then a HC at Palestine Wheatley

hillbilly

Tigerdad2

whippersnapper

Could be a gold mine of a job with the right hire. I know they went with an assistant last time so do they look for HC experience now?

beach bum

I just think its funny the administration at Lincoln thought an ex-Razorback was there to stay and build a program, they probably were just "star struck" and made the hire.... he probably didn't know that the 11-2 season was because of the best class in school history and Coach Harris's son. That kid is an incredible player(see his stats playing WR this year at Benton). He probably thought he was stepping into a foundation but quickly realized it was still Lincoln. I don't think it particularly matters if the new coach has experience as a head coach or not. Just hire someone who will stay through the tough times. If I was Laird I wouldn't apply again after being passed over that bad. Again, he was the most qualified applicant this time last year.

TIGER101

I don't even know where to begin on this one........   ???

beach bum

I don't think Lincoln could ever be PG or Farmington, but they could at least get to the point of beating them 2 or 3 times out of 10. The talent gap isn't that severe. It is the culture of the town and football program.

whippersnapper

This is some of what was posted about the job on the aaa website.
" We need a self motivated, good public relations person to motivate kids & sell the Lincoln Wolves Football Program to our school & our community. We are looking for a person that is not afraid of a challenge & wants to build a program to compete year in & year out with hard work and a positive attitude"
This is what they had with Harris but maybe not with Davenport.

Tigerdad2

Quote from: beach bum on April 01, 2015, 03:26:54 pm
I just think its funny the administration at Lincoln thought an ex-Razorback was there to stay and build a program, they probably were just "star struck" and made the hire.... he probably didn't know that the 11-2 season was because of the best class in school history and Coach Harris's son. That kid is an incredible player(see his stats playing WR this year at Benton). He probably thought he was stepping into a foundation but quickly realized it was still Lincoln. I don't think it particularly matters if the new coach has experience as a head coach or not. Just hire someone who will stay through the tough times. If I was Laird I wouldn't apply again after being passed over that bad. Again, he was the most qualified applicant this time last year.
Their is a huge difference between playing D1 football and coaching 7a football as an assistant and coaching at Lincoln, I don't think he knew what he was getting into.

4AWhistler

I don't think this was his choice.

beach bum

Quote from: 4AWhistler on April 02, 2015, 08:29:19 pm

That can't be good lol. It takes skill to burn that many bridges in one year if thats the case.

TIGER101

If this was not his choice then who is taking the blame for his hiring, and are they being questioned about why he was hired? 

beach bum

Quote from: TIGER101 on April 03, 2015, 10:11:57 am

If this was not his choice then who is taking the blame for his hiring, and are they being questioned about why he was hired?

The AD I remembered telling 5 News that he made a home run hire last year.

IPROFB

Quote from: beach bum on April 03, 2015, 12:12:06 pm

I wonder if he had issues with existing staff

TIGER101

Quote from: IPROFB on April 03, 2015, 01:39:14 pm
Quote from: beach bum on April 03, 2015, 12:12:06 pm

I wonder if he had issues with existing staff

Wasn't he the head coach?  He accepted the job knowing who the existing staff was......

4AWhistler

From what I've heard around town the whole year, people felt Davenport just didn't fit in.  He didn't try to become part of the community.  He didn't move out this way, didn't go into town any further than the school and field, never attended any community events in town, and just didn't get to know people.  All the farmers that gather every morning to drink coffee and shoot the bull would've been thrilled to see him put in an appearance once in a while.  Small things like that go a long way.  When I first met him and tried to engage him in conversation, I came away with the impression that he didn't want to visit or become friendly.  Now he could very well have been overwhelmed after just having his first meet and greet, but I wasn't impressed.

I guess I may have an outdated notion that in a small town, people wanna see a coach move into town, put his kids in school there, let his kids play tball with yours, be seen out and about, and put down roots so he has a vested interest in the community.  Now I know high school coaches don't put down deep roots since there's always the potential that things might not work out or that doing well would lead them to bigger and better things.

This is only my opinion, and wouldn't want anyone to assume that it's the opinion of everyone in Lincoln.  Just thought I'd give my perspective of the situation for what it's worth.

Wonderdog

Quote from: 4AWhistler on April 03, 2015, 07:10:05 pm
From what I've heard around town the whole year, people felt Davenport just didn't fit in.  He didn't try to become part of the community.  He didn't move out this way, didn't go into town any further than the school and field, never attended any community events in town, and just didn't get to know people.  All the farmers that gather every morning to drink coffee and shoot the bull would've been thrilled to see him put in an appearance once in a while.  Small things like that go a long way.  When I first met him and tried to engage him in conversation, I came away with the impression that he didn't want to visit or become friendly.  Now he could very well have been overwhelmed after just having his first meet and greet, but I wasn't impressed.

I guess I may have an outdated notion that in a small town, people wanna see a coach move into town, put his kids in school there, let his kids play tball with yours, be seen out and about, and put down roots so he has a vested interest in the community.  Now I know high school coaches don't put down deep roots since there's always the potential that things might not work out or that doing well would lead them to bigger and better things.

This is only my opinion, and wouldn't want anyone to assume that it's the opinion of everyone in Lincoln.  Just thought I'd give my perspective of the situation for what it's worth.

Makes sense. Some coaches have that special trait to be social, some don't.

gametime

Sounds like the AD has some explaining to do.  In the end it all comes down to his recommendation to the school board.  Looking like LHS needs a new AD.

beach bum

April 04, 2015, 12:12:06 pm #21 Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 12:16:28 pm by beach bum
I just hope Lincoln gets a semi-steady program one day... now that Farmington is 5A and not coming back I would like to see PG and Lincoln become more competitive on a yearly basis for a little bit of a conference rivalry right down the road. Even the tough seasons with Harris there you could tell they at least played hard for him and he had the number of kids coming out to play up. That is a huge thing for me assessing a coach as well. Does he keep most kids in the program from junior high to high school.... that is the problem at Gentry and Berryville. They have big numbers in junior high then the number of kids out for high school plummets.

4AWhistler

Harris entered the Lincoln program at the perfect moment, and it was a good marriage.  He had a part in building things up over that six years, and a big part of his success was getting everyone in town on board.  His family wasn't from Lincoln, but his family made it their home by doing all those things I wrote about in my previous post, and that goes a long way with a rural, sprawled out community like Lincoln.  It takes that kind of commitment from a head coach and his family to get kids and their parents to buy into what it takes to build a competitive program.  You've got families in this school district who live at the southern tip of Washington County and others at the northern boundary.

I'm hoping the ADMIN can find someone who is willing to do exactly that, whether it's a local pick or not.  I mean, who doesn't love running into the local coach at Harps and getting to visit while you're both waiting to pay for groceries or seeing them running the clock during basketball season when he doesn't even have to be in the gym?

Are those that hard to find?

beach bum

I used to take Hwy 59 home from college when I wanted some peace while driving.... I had forgotten Lincoln's district was so big until you see buses south of Evansville with Lincoln's name on them. Then you have the people living out Jackson Hwy all the way up to Hwy 16. Your assessment was spot on in everything you said as well. If you are going to be a head coach at a small town you should fit in.

IPROFB

Quote from: beach bum on April 04, 2015, 01:32:51 pm
I used to take Hwy 59 home from college when I wanted some peace while driving.... I had forgotten Lincoln's district was so big until you see buses south of Evansville with Lincoln's name on them. Then you have the people living out Jackson Hwy all the way up to Hwy 16. Your assessment was spot on in everything you said as well. If you are going to be a head coach at a small town you should fit in.

I heard they switched offense and defense half way thru the season. It sounds like they had some issues between the head coach, the AD and possible others. If you're going to hire a young first year head coach, you've got to give him 2-3 years to develop his program and to learn on the job.

beach bum

April 04, 2015, 04:58:01 pm #25 Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 05:02:36 pm by beach bum
I believe you are correct... I think they went Wing T late in the year. That doesn't make sense to switch to that particular offense midseason. I am a fan of the Wing T at the high school level too being that I am from PG. Actually, switching midseason makes no sense at all. I can see adding a new fornation as the season progresses but switching all together?

IPROFB

Quote from: beach bum on April 04, 2015, 04:58:01 pm
I believe you are correct... I think they went Wing T late in the year. That doesn't make sense to switch to that particular offense midseason. I am a fan of the Wing T at the high school level too being that I am from PG. Actually, switching midseason makes no sense at all. I can see adding a new fornation as the season progresses but switching all together?

The head coach became the defensive coordinator and Coach Myers became the offensive coach. Very hard to change everything in midseason but they did it.

TIGER101

Isn't it ironic that they switched to wing-t halfway through the season and never gave Laird even a courtesy interview?   

beach bum

Quote from: TIGER101 on April 04, 2015, 06:41:09 pm

Isn't it ironic that they switched to wing-t halfway through the season and never gave Laird even a courtesy interview?

I am wondering if he applies again? I doubt it. I also would think they are going to move the process pretty quickly to get a guy before the next board meeting. I would love to see a guy with PG ties get the nod of HC at Lincoln. It would make things interesting.

4AWhistler

Quote from: IPROFB on April 04, 2015, 05:32:46 pm

The head coach became the defensive coordinator and Coach Myers became the offensive coach. Very hard to change everything in midseason but they did it.
I don't know how, or who, the decision to change the offense a few games into the season came about, but that Friday, Lincoln did win it's first conference game of the season.  I think maybe Davenport wanted to keep last year's offense since that's what that group of kids had been running for 6 years, but the wing T was better suited to the personnel they had this year.  Myers ran the wing T at West Memphis when he coached there.

catinthehat

Quote from: 4AWhistler on April 04, 2015, 12:59:22 pm
Harris entered the Lincoln program at the perfect moment, and it was a good marriage.  He had a part in building things up over that six years, and a big part of his success was getting everyone in town on board.  His family wasn't from Lincoln, but his family made it their home by doing all those things I wrote about in my previous post, and that goes a long way with a rural, sprawled out community like Lincoln.  It takes that kind of commitment from a head coach and his family to get kids and their parents to buy into what it takes to build a competitive program.  You've got families in this school district who live at the southern tip of Washington County and others at the northern boundary.

I'm hoping the ADMIN can find someone who is willing to do exactly that, whether it's a local pick or not.  I mean, who doesn't love running into the local coach at Harps and getting to visit while you're both waiting to pay for groceries or seeing them running the clock during basketball season when he doesn't even have to be in the gym?

So tired of these lame comments. So what you are saying is that if Coach Davenport had lived outside of Lincoln and had gone 10 and 0 this year, he'd still be in the same boat because of where he lives??? No way. And a 2 and 8 season would have been acceptable had he only lived in Lincoln? Not likely. First, Coach Harris relocated from 4 hours away. Kind of a long commute. Davenport lives within driving distance and has kids already settled in a different school district. And didn't Harris's wife have some family in Lincoln? Comparing apples to oranges. Maybe it's a good thing that Davenport tested the water first. Otherwise, he'd been given the "boot" while being stuck in Lincoln...And who wants that????? The superintendent doesn't live in Lincoln either, and when she was the Lincoln High School principal, her daughter went to PG. And if I'm not mistaken, your current principal lives in PG. I just think there is too much emphasis on "stuff" that doesn't matter. It's not that uncommon for teachers and coaches to live in cities other than where they teach. It is more about getting someone qualified for the job. Stop trying to build a case against the guy. Stop trying to justify why he should get fired. You hired him. You should have supported him and given him a chance. By the way, how many people who live in Lincoln work outside of Lincoln? By your own standards, shouldn't they move? End of story.

beach bum

April 05, 2015, 06:38:04 am #31 Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 07:57:27 am by beach bum
Quote from: catinthehat on April 05, 2015, 12:37:40 am

So tired of these lame comments. So what you are saying is that if Coach Davenport had lived outside of Lincoln and had gone 10 and 0 this year, he'd still be in the same boat because of where he lives??? No way. And a 2 and 8 season would have been acceptable had he only lived in Lincoln? Not likely. First, Coach Harris relocated from 4 hours away. Kind of a long commute. Davenport lives within driving distance and has kids already settled in a different school district. And didn't Harris's wife have some family in Lincoln? Comparing apples to oranges. Maybe it's a good thing that Davenport tested the water first. Otherwise, he'd been given the "boot" while being stuck in Lincoln...And who wants that????? The superintendent doesn't live in Lincoln either, and when she was the Lincoln High School principal, her daughter went to PG. And if I'm not mistaken, your current principal lives in PG. I just think there is too much emphasis on "stuff" that doesn't matter. It's not that uncommon for teachers and coaches to live in cities other than where they teach. It is more about getting someone qualified for the job. Stop trying to build a case against the guy. Stop trying to justify why he should get fired. YOU HIRED HIM.. You should have supported him and given him a chance. By the way, how many people who live in Lincoln work outside of Lincoln? By your own standards, shouldn't they move? End of story.

I did not know fearless friday account holders hired coaches? That's new to me. Is this Coach Davenport's relative? You seem pretty personally distraught to verbally attack someone's opinion so harshly. Secondly, its not like Davenport got kicked to the curb to be homeless. He gets a raise to go back to Heritage.

4AWhistler

So tired of these lame comments. So what you are saying is that if Coach Davenport had lived outside of Lincoln and had gone 10 and 0 this year, he'd still be in the same boat because of where he lives??? No way. And a 2 and 8 season would have been acceptable had he only lived in Lincoln? Not likely. First, Coach Harris relocated from 4 hours away. Kind of a long commute. Davenport lives within driving distance and has kids already settled in a different school district. And didn't Harris's wife have some family in Lincoln? Comparing apples to oranges. Maybe it's a good thing that Davenport tested the water first. Otherwise, he'd been given the "boot" while being stuck in Lincoln...And who wants that????? The superintendent doesn't live in Lincoln either, and when she was the Lincoln High School principal, her daughter went to PG. And if I'm not mistaken, your current principal lives in PG. I just think there is too much emphasis on "stuff" that doesn't matter. It's not that uncommon for teachers and coaches to live in cities other than where they teach. It is more about getting someone qualified for the job. Stop trying to build a case against the guy. Stop trying to justify why he should get fired. You hired him. You should have supported him and given him a chance. By the way, how many people who live in Lincoln work outside of Lincoln? By your own standards, shouldn't they move? End of story.
Like I said, just my opinion, and at no time have I ever said he still shouldn't be the head coach at Lincoln. He had to have known that he was walking in to a challenging position with the the core of the team having graduated the year before which would  leave the program with a lot fewer kids.  Having a losing record your first season at a school should not constitute getting rid of a coach, so there must have been other considerations here.  That's just my opinion, too!

IPROFB

For what it's worth, I thought he deserved one more season

beach bum

I think a high school coach deserves a minimum of 4 years.... at some point then you should have a pretty decent class in there somewhere. Basically, no matter where you are at every 4 or 5 years there is going to be one class of decent athletes. 4 or 5 years in high school is needed to change the culture starting in junior high until they age to high school.

catinthehat

Quote from: beach bum on April 05, 2015, 06:38:04 am

So tired of these lame comments. So what you are saying is that if Coach Davenport had lived outside of Lincoln and had gone 10 and 0 this year, he'd still be in the same boat because of where he lives??? No way. And a 2 and 8 season would have been acceptable had he only lived in Lincoln? Not likely. First, Coach Harris relocated from 4 hours away. Kind of a long commute. Davenport lives within driving distance and has kids already settled in a different school district. And didn't Harris's wife have some family in Lincoln? Comparing apples to oranges. Maybe it's a good thing that Davenport tested the water first. Otherwise, he'd been given the "boot" while being stuck in Lincoln...And who wants that????? The superintendent doesn't live in Lincoln either, and when she was the Lincoln High School principal, her daughter went to PG. And if I'm not mistaken, your current principal lives in PG. I just think there is too much emphasis on "stuff" that doesn't matter. It's not that uncommon for teachers and coaches to live in cities other than where they teach. It is more about getting someone qualified for the job. Stop trying to build a case against the guy. Stop trying to justify why he should get fired. YOU HIRED HIM.. You should have supported him and given him a chance. By the way, how many people who live in Lincoln work outside of Lincoln? By your own standards, shouldn't they move? End of story.

I did not know fearless friday account holders hired coaches? That's new to me. Is this Coach Davenport's relative? You seem pretty personally distraught to verbally attack someone's opinion so harshly. Secondly, its not like Davenport got kicked to the curb to be homeless. He gets a raise to go back to Heritage.
Quote from: beach bum on April 05, 2015, 06:38:04 am

Nope. I'm not. But if I were, would that change the truth. There seem to be double standards in Lincoln. That is the truth. I think people should work where they want and live where they want. But I was addressing the fact that some thought he caused his own downfall because he didn't immediately move to Lincoln. Also, how do you know he's going back to Heritage? And if he's getting a raise, he must have taken a pay cut to come in the first place which means it might have been even harder for him to make a move. I agree that he should have been given more time. It isn't personal to me. I'm just sayin'...

beach bum

April 05, 2015, 08:38:17 pm #36 Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:43:34 pm by beach bum
Rogers school district pays substantially more than Lincoln... I would be utterly shocked if him being the HC combatted his drop from Rogers to Lincoln. That's why 7A assistants are reluctant to go down and be 3A or 4A head coaches. If you have a family then its hard to accept a pay cut. You have to really have that utmost burning desire to be a head coach to move down a 2 or 3 classifications and take a pay cut from your base salary at a 7A west school even as an assistant. The big 4 up in NWA pay.

Loyalfan1

DerekOxford

What are the hot names for this one?

Feel like they're going to promote an assistant, but who knows.

whippersnapper

I think they could get some pretty good candidates if they open it up.

Leroy88

I heard Laird from PG put in an application once again.

Pack_Mentality

Couldn't agree more cat. Got to really question the decision making abilities of the Lincoln Admin and their motives. Clearly they either have no clue what it takes to be successful in football or don't care. Not sure of the man's coaching abilities but obviously a bad fit for Lincoln. Usually when a program has success and replaces the outgoing coach they look within. Lots of examples at every level: high school, college, and NFL. Not sure why they did not, but I don't have a lot of faith that the same people will make a good decision this time around. The difference being at this level compared to others, more people would have been canned than just the Head Coach.

Tigerdad2

I would like to know who on staff is qualified?

IPROFB

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on April 07, 2015, 08:14:52 pm

Coach Myers

Pack_Mentality

Quote from: IPROFB on April 07, 2015, 08:34:41 pm

Coach Myers

All I know are names and ages. Myers is the oldest, probably his last stop. Lewis, Hammonds, and Bound are all young guys. Not sure if Myers has been a head coach before but has coached at West Memphis according to Whistler.

Tigerdad2

Coach Myers

The past 3 years he has given up 132 points to PG. From past posts , people were saying he was a Wing-T guy

beach bum

April 07, 2015, 09:03:08 pm #46 Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 09:05:11 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Tigerdad2 on April 07, 2015, 09:01:21 pm

Coach Myers

The past 3 years he has given up 132 points to PG. From past posts , people were saying he was a Wing-T guy

My guess is he gets the job... but he shouldn't.

Tigerdad2

I agree , but it sounds like he called the Defense then switched to the offense, so he had a chance to make a big impact, but didn't .

Pack_Mentality

Quote from: beach bum on April 07, 2015, 09:03:08 pm
Quote from: Tigerdad2 on April 07, 2015, 09:01:21 pm

Coach Myers

My guess is he gets the job... but he shouldn't.

I bet if the last three years y'all had Myers and we had your DC the results would be the same. Players make the coach. Anybody that says different is fooling themselves.

IPROFB

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on April 07, 2015, 09:11:37 pm
I agree , but it sounds like he called the Defense then switched to the offense, so he had a chance to make a big impact, but didn't .

You can't put in the Wing in one or two weeks.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas