• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ole Miss

Started by bdubyab60, May 27, 2016, 11:34:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bdubyab60

Just admitted they been cheating? Say what

beach bum

Were they paying players? If so good.... pay them all for any playing in revenue producing sports.

bdubyab60

Not just paying. Fixing test scores and so on. Self imposed some scholarships in football which had the more serious infractions and fired the women's basketball coach.

Missco

May 27, 2016, 12:57:16 pm #3 Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 05:47:50 pm by Missco
By now hasn't everybody figured out most colleges cheat. I doubt their is 1 single D-1 school that doesn't break atleast 1 NCAA rule every year. They all give recruits Money,  cars, etc.

beach bum

Changes peoples' grades is messed up as it does a disservice to all other students at a university....

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on May 27, 2016, 01:22:02 pm
Changes peoples' grades is messed up as it does a disservice to all other students at a university....

But but but. They are the "Harvard of the south".

ricepig

Quote from: Missco on May 27, 2016, 12:57:16 pm
By now hasn't everybody figured out most colleges cheat. I doubt their is 1 single D-1 school that doesn't break atleast 1 NCAA rule every year. They all give recruits Monet, cars, etc.

Dang, Monet's, those can be worth millions!

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on May 27, 2016, 01:41:07 pm
But but but. They are the "Harvard of the south".
Huh? Every academic list has them behind us, in the bottom 1/4 of the SEC schools.

AirWarren

And Arkansas has a graduation rate of 63%. Wouldn't say that is mind blowing!

Not saying they are Harvard of the south by any means. I hate Mississippi and their schools. But they think a lot of themselves in Oxford.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on May 27, 2016, 04:52:03 pm
And Arkansas has a graduation rate of 63%. Wouldn't say that is mind blowing!

Not saying they are Harvard of the south by any means. I hate Mississippi and their schools. But they think a lot of themselves in Oxford.

Nope, just saying OM and MSU are behind us. Thank God for Mississippi!

Missco

Lol, I was trying to write and make it down a muddy turn row. Checking rice on days like this stink

ricepig

Quote from: Missco on May 27, 2016, 05:49:23 pm
Lol, I was trying to write and make it down a muddy turn row. Checking rice on days like this stink

Well, when I wrote Monet, mine auto-corrected to money and I had to change it, lol. Also, you best not be driving down my turnrow when it rains, that's what a 4-wheeler or Mule is for!

Missco

Lol, I don't drive down any of my customers turn rows in the mud. Except for 1 and it's a long story on why. I am just glad most levies got up and gates in. All mine is flooded except 2000 acres at Victoria. It will now be a mess if it doesn't stop raining for atleast two weeks. All crops look good except the cotton.

ricepig

Quote from: Missco on May 27, 2016, 06:24:49 pm
Lol, I don't drive down any of my customers turn rows in the mud. Except for 1 and it's a long story on why. I am just glad most levies got up and gates in. All mine is flooded except 2000 acres at Victoria. It will now be a mess if it doesn't stop raining for atleast two weeks. All crops look good except the cotton.

You know the drill, it will rain on and off for the next two weeks, and then not again until a hurricane blows us up about 12" the first week of September, lol.

Missco

bdubyab60

Not saying everyone isn't doing some form of cheating. But being just straight up blatant about it like they have been. At least try to cover it up.

Missco

Lionheart88

Quote from: Missco on May 27, 2016, 12:57:16 pm
By now hasn't everybody figured out most colleges cheat. I doubt their is 1 single D-1 school that doesn't break atleast 1 NCAA rule every year. They all give recruits Money,  cars, etc.
And of course if everyone else is doing it, that makes it fine, right?

Missco

May 29, 2016, 10:56:48 am #18 Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 11:00:18 am by Missco
No it doesn't make it right. However, let's be real. Every D 1 athlete I know got offered things by every school that recruited them. It just amazes me that people don't get that NCAA athletics is big business. These kids make lots of money for these universities. Yeah, Yeah, they get college paid for.

ricepig

Quote from: Missco on May 29, 2016, 10:56:48 am
No it doesn't make it right. However, let's be real. Every D 1 athlete I know got offered things by every school that recruited them. It just amazes me that people don't get that NCAA athletics is big business. These kids make lots of money for these universities. Yeah, Yeah, they get college paid for.

And a stipend now, they get enough.

Lionheart88

For a lot of these kids, that free college diploma they're getting (that many couldn't possibly have gotten otherwise) will be a meal ticket for the rest of their lives.

fastdrop

Quote from: ricepig on May 29, 2016, 12:41:12 pm
And a stipend now, they get enough.
You like me are getting old RP. You should remember when enough was never enough...... =).

Lionheart88

Quote from: fastdrop on June 01, 2016, 02:57:02 pm
You like me are getting old RP. You should remember when enough was never enough...... =).
If you can't manage your money, nothing will ever be enough, and it'd be irresponsible of the Powers that Be to give you much at all.

fastdrop

Quote from: Lionheart88 on June 01, 2016, 03:00:33 pm
If you can't manage your money, nothing will ever be enough, and it'd be irresponsible of the Powers that Be to give you much at all.
HUH.... said the slave master to the slave.

Lionheart88

That's just good business.  If someone's just going to throw their money away, you don't give them more; you may as well be throwing booze at an alcoholic.  Gotta prove you can be trusted with a little before you're trusted with a lot.  That's why people don't get handed CEO jobs straight out of college.

AirWarren

Quote from: Lionheart88 on June 01, 2016, 03:15:54 pm
That's just good business.  If someone's just going to throw their money away, you don't give them more; you may as well be throwing booze at an alcoholic.  Gotta prove you can be trusted with a little before you're trusted with a lot.  That's why people don't get handed CEO jobs straight out of college.

Millienials believe they should be handed a 6 figure job right out of college with that bachelor in sociology degree. Morons.

Lionheart88

As one of those Millenials (28), I think that's a bit of an overgeneralization.  But only a bit.  I mean, personally I'd be happy with something in the $30-40k range, as long as it's no more than about 20hours/week.  :)

1-Adam-12

NCAA has added eight more allegations, some pretty serious including some shenanigans by Freeze, and Ole Miss has self imposed a one-season bowl ban.

AirWarren

Quote from: Lionheart88 on June 01, 2016, 03:23:29 pm
As one of those Millenials (28), I think that's a bit of an overgeneralization.  But only a bit.  I mean, personally I'd be happy with something in the $30-40k range, as long as it's no more than about 20hours/week.  :)

I'm 31.

Choosing a competitive field and obtaining a  good degree and hard work right out of college started me out at 45k$. First job as a new grad.

That of course wasn't a comfortable life. Shifts. Holidays. Nights. Some weekends. But it made me appreciate moving up in the world.

I don't feel sorry for millennials especially ones born after 1990 who can't get out from under mom and dad's wings.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: AirWarren on February 22, 2017, 07:14:41 pm
I'm 31.

Choosing a competitive field and obtaining a  good degree and hard work right out of college started me out at 45k$. First job as a new grad.

That of course wasn't a comfortable life. Shifts. Holidays. Nights. Some weekends. But it made me appreciate moving up in the world.

I don't feel sorry for millennials especially ones born after 1990 who can't get out from under mom and dad's wings.

In most cases the failure to launch syndrome is as much the parents fault as it is the kids...

AirWarren

Quote from: HorseFeathers on February 22, 2017, 07:18:40 pm
In most cases the failure to launch syndrome is as much the parents fault as it is the kids...

Agree with that too.

But like anything else. Life goes on. Can't blame everyone else your entire life for your career path, life choices or degree choice.

Valleysports

So y'all want to pay college athletes?  Stop the scholarship program - tuition, room, board, everything currently paid for now.  Pay them $20-30K? per year - let them take the money to the registration dept themselves, buy a refrigerator (food), and start paying apartment rent?  Might be a good idea, help them appreciate and focus on education better.  Teach them how to manage money?  Think that's what they'd spend the money on? 

I considered my scholarship the biggest blessing I could've had at the time, it was the most I'd ever been paid for doing anything.  And for playing a game that I would've done anything do play.  Good Lord not only were we playing football, they're giving us a 4 year salary.  Free College was AWESOME!  You've been around those Sniveling Whining Coloradian's too long, Beach Bum... 

beach bum

Quote from: Valleysports on March 02, 2017, 12:33:35 pm

I considered my scholarship the biggest blessing I could've had at the time, it was the most I'd ever been paid for doing anything.  And for playing a game that I would've done anything do play.  Good Lord not only were we playing football, they're giving us a 4 year salary.  Free College was AWESOME!  You've been around those Sniveling Whining Coloradian's too long, Beach Bum...

LOL, I get what you are saying Valley I really do. I really don't have a problem with the athletes not getting paid. It mostly doesn't seem right that all that money is being funneled to the guys wearing suits who make poor decisions all the time. Those guys probably have never sweat a day in their life like me and you have!

beach bum

Quote from: HorseFeathers on February 22, 2017, 07:18:40 pm

I agree with that for sure.... There is always going to be the goose(that one wild child) that strays from the group, but most of the time they will just follow a parents' work ethic good or bad for sure. It really is amazing how much kids just copy a lot of behavior. Also, they will follow how we deal with adversity as adults. You are right definitely.

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on March 02, 2017, 01:28:10 pm
LOL, I get what you are saying Valley I really do. I really don't have a problem with the athletes not getting paid. It mostly doesn't seem right that all that money is being funneled to the guys wearing suits who make poor decisions all the time. Those guys probably have never sweat a day in their life like me and you have!

How many of those guys in the suits didn't start out at some Jr high, or as a GA making less than minimum wage if you figured in the hours they put in?

bleudog

Kazimierz

The Patterson transfer would have been really bad if it wasn't for Ta'amu. The Throwin' Samoan actually fits the current offense better than Patterson and is a more determined runner. I hope Patterson fits well into the pro-style system at Michigan.

I wish Patterson nothing but the best... Freeze told him everything was fine. He signed to play under Freeze and Werner. Now Freeze is gone and Werner is at Alabama. And in their place, Ole Miss got a JUCO offensive coordinator, an unproven head coach, and a program with a 2 year bowl ban. I don't blame him for wanting to leave (especially with a possible QB battle in the spring against Ta'amu).

My biggest question about the Ole Miss investigation is whether the NCAA will investigate State or LSU. The State player that testified against Ole Miss (saying he received 10k) also admitted to receiving 10k from State. He also claimed that he knew players that went to LSU and received $$$.

If you believe him when he testifies against Ole Miss .... don't you also have to open up an investigation into State and LSU? Seems like you have to...

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ole-miss-football/shea-patterson-gone-jordan-taamu-better-not-fluke-ole-miss/

bdubyab60

His mom said LSU offered them $280k to come to LSU. By the way I heard it MSU will skate again as the money was giving from someone with a previous relationship or something to that nature. There was like a specific rule that was mentioned on that.

So MSU has skated on the Newton stuff and now this

Kazimierz

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 14, 2017, 02:21:35 pm
His mom said LSU offered them $280k to come to LSU. By the way I heard it MSU will skate again as the money was giving from someone with a previous relationship or something to that nature. There was like a specific rule that was mentioned on that.

So MSU has skated on the Newton stuff and now this

Yep... you're right on both accounts.

Still sketchy... one coach at a community college that has funneled athletes to MSU just happens to give 10K to an athlete during recruitment. I don't think he's making that much from the community college. Oh well... the bottom line is that Ole Miss was playing fast and loose and was letting boosters have too much control.

With all the stuff going on at Ole Miss it's a wonder that they won 3 SEC games and finished 6-6.

bdubyab60

But they beat Bama a couple times. You would figure if you are going to be that open about it it should have paid off a little better

Trojanbird

You think that maybe there was some plea bargaining going on!

bdubyab60

I believe the kid himself was offered immunity from any punishment. That was as long as the information he gave was deemed credible. They deemed him credible.

But let's face facts. Ole Miss continued to do these things even while the investigation was on going. There were several new charges after the investigation started and I they had to push back the filing at least twice.

Ole Miss was playing a game they didn't know how to play. Freeze basically skated in all this as they say he did promote a culture of compliance but failed to control his assistants. One year show cause and 2 game suspension.

Believe 13 boosters now have a disassociation clause. They can no longer be tied to anything going on with the football program. Rebel Rags which is like the largest seller of OM merchandise can no longer sell liscensed NCAA merchandise.

There was a lot going on at OM

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas