• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 5A West...

Started by Go Postal, March 02, 2015, 11:51:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Go Postal

March 02, 2015, 11:51:07 pm Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 08:39:19 am by Go Postal
On the boys side:
I have no clue with the addition of LRCA, Maumelle and Vilonia.
Harrison has 6 State trophies, one State Runner-up and has been in all semifinals since we started playing in '02.
LRCA has upset Harrison in previous years, in conference and in other conference play when they weren't in this conference.
Greenbrier, has won the last two conference Championships, but have not moved beyond the semis or Quarterfinals in the last two years.
Vilonia, coming finally to the West as in other sports.  Two East consecutive Conference champs.  Only lost to West and South teams in the playoffs in the last two years.
Clarkville made it to the playoffs last year.
Morrilton, you never overlook, great team, but in the 5A West.
Maumelle, great team in the 4A, but still has a statement to make to make in this sport in this 5A conference.

On the girls side:
Looking at previous scores and records, forget about it, unless you are Harrison (with their 4 State trophies, two State Runner-ups and 9 semi appearances) or a private school or maybe Greenbrier.   ;)  Maumelle girls will be a good addition in this 5A conference.  But I could be wrong, other teams, prove it.

This should be an interesting year for boys/girls soccer.  May the best team win!

chaoslord

What is it with Wests and being stacked? There are two conferences I would absolutely want no part in, the 5A West and the 7A West. In my playing days we were in a conference with PA & LRCA clearly being 1 and 2 in any order, but the 3 and 4 spots were up for grabs for pretty much anyone else. In this? We would have found a way to finish 8th out of 7. Good night! Not that I think Harrison will ever miss the playoffs (that is borderline insane talk, I know) but I could see a year happening in my head where they finish fourth. And who, after winning their own conference, wants to be "rewarded" with a match against Harrison?

I'll let some games get played and try to travel around to watch some teams before I start putting real thoughts to paper (and if I can get paid for the trips all the better  ;D ), but if I had to predict today who I think would make it out of this murder's row of a conference, I'd say it would be Harrison, LRCA, Greenbrier, and Vilonia in no particular order.

mijally

Quote from: chaoslord on March 03, 2015, 07:32:37 am
What is it with Wests and being stacked? There are two conferences I would absolutely want no part in, the 5A West and the 7A West. In my playing days we were in a conference with PA & LRCA clearly being 1 and 2 in any order, but the 3 and 4 spots were up for grabs for pretty much anyone else. In this? We would have found a way to finish 8th out of 7. Good night! Not that I think Harrison will ever miss the playoffs (that is borderline insane talk, I know) but I could see a year happening in my head where they finish fourth. And who, after winning their own conference, wants to be "rewarded" with a match against Harrison?

I'll let some games get played and try to travel around to watch some teams before I start putting real thoughts to paper (and if I can get paid for the trips all the better  ;D ), but if I had to predict today who I think would make it out of this murder's row of a conference, I'd say it would be Harrison, LRCA, Greenbrier, and Vilonia in no particular order.
Weather permitting North Little Rock plays @ Maumelle tonight if you want to catch a game in Central AR.  I'm looking forward to this game since it will match up about 6-7 players from both teams who have been teammates ion their club team for about 5 years.

Go Postal

March 18, 2015, 09:53:54 pm #3 Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:58:39 pm by Go Postal
chaoslord, I totally agree with what you said.  But heck, makes the 5A West conference season that much better.  Every game could be an upset. 

In the Wild, Wild West, so far...

Boys:
Vtown 3 'Briar 0 - Vilonia 3 points.  Local rivalies.  Both are previous two year Conference Champs.  West and East.  Vtown newcomer in this sport for the West.

GOBS 2 Mtown 1 - Harrison 1 point.  Old West rivals.

MMelle 2 LRCA 1 - Maumelle 1 point. Both newcomers in the West, but the Warriors have given fits to GOBS and 'Briar in the past when they were in this conference.  Can the Hornets prove that they can get Conference Champs in 3 sports since they came into the 5A?

Games pending this week:
Mtown and 'Briar
MMelle and GOBS
LRCA and Cville.

Time for...
Mtown or 'Briar to step up.  Greenbrier has two consecutive West Championships, but Morrilton can put an upset at any time.
LRCA or Cville (1st game) to step up.  Both went to playoffs in their respectiveful conferences last year.
GOBS or MMelle to prove a 1st game point.  Harrison has the records, but Maumelle has been the surprise this year in two other sports, plus winning the 1st game against LRCA in this sport.

Girls:
LGOBS 7 LMtown 0 - Harrison 3 points.  Lady Goblins are the standing 5A Champs.
LBriar 3 LVtown 0 - Greenbrier 3 points.  Good conference rivalry with Lady GOBS.
LLRCA 2 LMMelle 0 - Little Rock Christian Lady Warriors have always been a trial for the Lady Goblins and Lady Panthers when they were in this conference previously.

Games pending this week:
Mtown and 'Briar
MMelle and GOBS
LRCA and Cville.

Time for...
Mtown, MMelle and Cville (1st game) Ladies to step up and beat one of these high powered teams.  You are in the West, put us in our place.

Sir Alex

Postal,

LR Christian has never been in the 5A West for soccer.  I believe they stayed down south last time they were in the 5A West for the other sports.

Go Postal

Quote from: Sir Alex on March 19, 2015, 09:02:16 pm
Postal,

LR Christian has never been in the 5A West for soccer.  I believe they stayed down south last time they were in the 5A West for the other sports.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember in the old field when the girl Warriors posed for pictures when they beat us on the middle of the field.  It was probably for football, when Dyer played for them.  My bad.  Thanks for clarifying my brain.  Though LRCA has always been a thorn in our side in boys/girls soccer playoffs. ;)

hogbert

ARSoccer25

I have only seen Maumelle and LRCA play this year. Unless some of the other teams have improved from last year; I would have to go
1. Maumelle 2. LRCA  3. Harrison 4. Vilonia   Should be some entertaining matchups this year in the 1st round of state with it being South vs West.

Go Postal

March 20, 2015, 09:42:18 pm #8 Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 09:45:21 pm by Go Postal
Quote from: ARSoccer25 on March 20, 2015, 10:50:08 am
I have only seen Maumelle and LRCA play this year. Unless some of the other teams have improved from last year; I would have to go
1. Maumelle 2. LRCA  3. Harrison 4. Vilonia   Should be some entertaining matchups this year in the 1st round of state with it being South vs West.
This is a great possibility.
In boys play:
Even though the West is very competitive and the South, also competitive has beaten the West in some years.  I wouldn't be surprised that one of the South teams beat DeQueen in conference play or someone other that Harrison beat them in the playoffs, It will be epic game on that, they are a great team.  But I would never underestimate the East or Central to pull an upset in conference or playoffs.
In girls play:
Harrison, LRCA or Greenbrier are the leaders, in any order for the conference.  other West teams need to prove us wrong.  In playoffs, West public or private school or any other conference private school.  Other public schools need to prove us wrong. ;)

Sir Alex

Yep Maumelle is a legitimate team.  They will give lots of teams fits this year.

Go Postal

Quote from: Sir Alex on March 20, 2015, 10:40:24 pm

Yep Maumelle is a legitimate team.  They will give lots of teams fits this year.
Dang them with the football, basketball West champs won, they are doing very well (so far) on this sport.  One good note is that the Golden Goblins beat them in a doubleheader in basebaall. ;)

Go Postal

Quote from: Sir Alex on March 20, 2015, 10:40:24 pm

From the local paper...
The Harrison Lady Goblins picked up a conference victory on Friday evening.
The Goblins were unable to do the same.
Hosting Maumelle on the field at F.S. Garrison Stadium, the Lady Goblins deeated Maumelle, 4-0, while the Goblins fell, 2-0.
Senior Girls
The Harrison Lady Goblins shutout Maumelle on their way to picking up a 4-0 win in a 5A-West matchup.
The Lady Goblins got on the board first as they converted on a cornerkick.
Senior Tasha Woodruff collected the cornerkick and put the ball into the back of the net to give Harrison a 1-0 lead.
Woodruff struck again as she beat the Maumelle keeper for her second goal and a 2-0 Harrison lead.
Before the end of the first half, Harrison had taken a 3-0 advantage as Lady Goblin senior Carlee Spears added a goal to the board.
Maumelle gave itself a scare with 8 minutes to play in the game. A Maumelle defender attempted to clear the ball out of their zone, but the attempt looked more like a shot as the ball hit the crossbar almost costing Maumelle another goal.
Harrison did manage to put a fourth goal on the board late in the game as Sabrina Berry broke free and beat the Maumelle keeper to seal the Lady Goblin win, 4-0.
Woodruff scored two goals in the game while Spears and Berry added one apiece. Spears also picked up two assists for the Lady Goblins.

Senior Boys
Harrison fell in a senior boys contest to Maumelle, 2-0.
Maumelle controlled the action from the start of the match and never let up.
The Goblins were constantly being pressured by Maumelle as the Hornets peppered Harrison keeper Michael Martin with shots during the first half.
Martin made nine saves in the first 20 minutes of the match to keep the game scoreless at 0-0.
With 16 minutes to play in the first half, Maumelle nearly converted a goal as Martin deflected a ball in the box that then bounced in front of the goal behind the Harrison keeper.
Harrison's Tobe Thomason rushed in to clear the ball away before Maumelle could put it in the net.
The Goblins had another close call as Maumelle put a shot off a post with 7 minutes remaining in the opening half.
At the half, Martin had saved 12 shots for the Goblins.
The Goblins got their offense going in the second as they began to threaten the Maumelle defense.
Just 3 minutes into the second half, Harrison's Sidney Bailey took a shot that beat the Maumelle keeper to the far side of the goal but hit a post and was cleared by Maumelle.
The first goal of the match went to Maumelle as the Hornets scored at the 23:33 mark for a 1-0 lead.
The Goblins continued to pressure and got a good opportunity to score with 8:45 to play.
A hand ball by Maumelle gave Harrison a free kick from 19 yards out. The kick from Jordan Reeves was blocked by a Maumelle player and went out of bounds.
The Goblins were awarded a cornerkick, but a header from Micah Ford was saved by the Maumelle keeper as Harrison couldn't get on the board.
Maumelle got an insurance goal late in the contest as the Hornets took a 2-0 lead with 3:30 to play in the game.

Go Postal

I believe these are right for the Goblins/Lady Goblins.  Correct me If I'm wrong.

Harrison vs...
7A Rogers Heritage (benefit game)
                Girls (W) 2-0
---------------------------------
7A Bentonville
                Girls (L) 2-1

5A Valley View (Harrison Tournament)
Boys (T) 0-0    Girls (W) 2-0

6A Russellville (Harrison Tournament)
Boys (T) 0-0    Girls (T) 0-0

7A Fayetteville
                Girls (L) 1-0

Morrilton (5A West conference)
Boys (W) 2-1    Girls (W) 7-0

Maumelle (5A West conference)
Boys (L) 2-0    Girls (W) 4-0

6A Mtn Home
Boys (L) 2-1    Girls (W) 2-0

Clarksville (5A West conference)
Boys (W) 3-0    Girls (W) 6-0

6A Siloam Springs
Boys (T) 1-1    Girls (W) 1-0

Ozark, Mo
                Girls (T) 2-2

4A Green Forest (Harrison Tournament)
Boys (W) 4-1

6A Siloam Springs (Harrison Tournament)
Boys (L) 5-3

4/7 Vilonia at Harrison
4/10 LRCA at Harrison
4/11 Harrison Boys/Girls Alumni weekend games
4/14 at Greenbrier
4/17 at Maumelle
4/21 Clarksville at Harrison
4/24-25 West Plains tournament girls only
4/29 at Vilonia
5/1 at LRCA
5/5 Greenbrier at Harrison
5/8 Morrilton at Harrison Senior Night
5/14-16 5A State Tournament at Hope
5/22 Finals

So far...
Boys 3-3-3 season, 2-1-0 conference
Girls 6-2-2 season, 3-0-0 conference

If anyone else from the West wants to put their team's seasonal record on this thread, feel free to do so.

Go Postal

Update on Harrison boys/girls soccer...

Harrison vs...
                Girls (W) 2-0
7A Bentonville
                Girls (L) 2-1

7A Fayetteville
                Girls (L) 1-0

6A Mtn Home

6A Siloam Springs

Ozark, Mo
                Girls (T) 2-2

Boys (W) 4-1

Boys (L) 5-3

Vilonia (5A West conference)
Boys (W) 2-1    Girls (W) 10-0

LRCA (5A West conference)
Boys (L) 3-0    Girls (L) 1-0

4/11 Harrison 2002-14 Boys/Girls Alumni weekend games

4/14 at Greenbrier
4/17 at Maumelle
4/29 at Vilonia
5/1 at LRCA
5/22 Finals

So far...
Boys 4-4-3 season, 3-2-0 conference
Girls 7-3-2 season, 4-1-0 conference

Moving in to mid conference play.  Questions that I have...
Boys:
Maumelle is 5-0 with 11 TB points.  LRCA is 5-1 with 9 TB points.  Harrison is 3rd with 3-2 and 5 TB points.  Will the Goblins get back one of their best strikers, that hasn't played due to injury in the 1st half of conference play, for the 2nd half of conference play with Clarksville knocking at the door at 2-3 for seeding?
Girls:
LRCA is 6-0 with 15 TB points.  Harrison is 4-1 with 12 TB points.  I saw in the last game (LRCA@Harrison) that one of our best players went down twice with a injury.  Will she will be able to compete in the 2nd half of conference play with Greenbrier and Maumelle knocking on the door at 3-2 for seeding?

Like I said earlier, this is only mid conference season.  Anything can happen from now to the playoffs.

hogbert

those are some questions for sure. Hope springs eternal.

HP14

Round two....Maumelle hosts Harrison Tomorrow. Should be two good games.

Go Postal

Harrison vs...
                Girls (W) 2-0
7A Bentonville
                Girls (L) 2-1

7A Fayetteville
                Girls (L) 1-0

6A Mtn Home

6A Siloam Springs

Ozark, Mo
                Girls (T) 2-2

Boys (W) 4-1

Boys (L) 5-3

Greenbrier (5A West Conference)
Boys (W) 1(4)-1(2) Girls (W) 6-0

4/17 at Maumelle
4/29 at Vilonia
5/1 at LRCA
5/22 Finals

So far...
Boys 5-4-3 season, 4-2-0 conference
Girls 8-3-2 season, 5-1-0 conference

Quote from: HP14 on April 16, 2015, 11:31:12 am
Round two....Maumelle hosts Harrison Tomorrow. Should be two good games.
Yes, it should, but looks like probably it will be a wet pitch.  Hopefully rain is the only thing that these 2 boys/girls teams will have to worry about.

Go Postal

Corrected and updated Goblin soccer.  This is what I have...
Harrison vs...
                Girls (W) 2-0
7A Bentonville
                Girls (L) 2-1

7A Fayetteville
                Girls (L) 1-0

6A Mtn Home

6A Siloam Springs
Boys (T) 1-1    Girls (L) 0-1

Ozark, Mo
                Girls (T) 2-2

Boys (W) 4-1

Boys (L) 5-3

Greenbrier (5A West Conference)
Boys (W) 1(4)-1(2) Girls (W) 6-0

4/17 at Maumelle (5A West conference)
Boys (L) 4-0     Girls (W) 4-2

Boys (L) 1-0     Girls (W) 6-0

6A Siloam Springs
Boys (L) 4-0

West Plains MO (West Plains MO Tournament)
Girls (W) 8-2

Waynesville MO (West Plains MO Tournament)
Girls (W) 6-1

6A Siloam Springs (West Plains MO Tournament)
Girls (L) 1(3) - 1(4)

4/29 at Vilonia
5/1 at LRCA
5/22 Finals

So far for Harrison playing 7A, 6A, 5A and border States teams...
Boys 5-7-3 season, 4-4-0 conference
Girls 11-5-2 season, 7-1-0 conference

Scots10

what are the seeding implications on the VG game for Friday between Harrison and LRCA

chaoslord

Quote from: Scots10 on April 29, 2015, 11:56:49 am
what are the seeding implications on the VG game for Friday between Harrison and LRCA

Assuming both teams win tonight for the sake of making this post as simple as possible, per the standings grid:

A LRCA win will lock in the 1 seed for them since they will finish, at worst 11-1.

A Harrison win will split the regular season at 1-1 so it would then go to the tiebreaker goals. Harrison are currently down 3 but they have a game in hand, meaning that if Harrison wins out they would likely get enough goals to take 1st place.

Winner probably takes first.

Scots10

Thanks,
So tiebreaker is goals scored?

chaoslord

I forgot a tiebreaker, so a slight change.

First tie breaker is head to head. LRCA has the lead there as of now, having won the first matchup.

Second is margin of victory (max 3) for the head to head. So, if Harrison wins, a 2 goal or better victory puts them in the drivers seat for the 1 spot because LRCA won 1-0 earlier this year.

If Harrison wins by only 1, THEN the tiebreaker goals will come into play. That is, "margin of victory in every conference win, max 3". Example, if Harrison won a game 8-0, won a game 5-4, and lost a game 4-0, they would have a tiebreaker of 4. Right now, LRCA has 23 to Harrison's 20, but LRCA has played an extra game.

Scots10

Go Postal

Quote from: chaoslord on April 29, 2015, 02:01:57 pm
I forgot a tiebreaker, so a slight change.

First tie breaker is head to head. LRCA has the lead there as of now, having won the first matchup.

Second is margin of victory (max 3) for the head to head. So, if Harrison wins, a 2 goal or better victory puts them in the drivers seat for the 1 spot because LRCA won 1-0 earlier this year.

If Harrison wins by only 1, THEN the tiebreaker goals will come into play. That is, "margin of victory in every conference win, max 3". Example, if Harrison won a game 8-0, won a game 5-4, and lost a game 4-0, they would have a tiebreaker of 4. Right now, LRCA has 23 to Harrison's 20, but LRCA has played an extra game.
Taking this scenario a bit further:  If LRCA and Harrison are both H2H (1-1) and both teams also ends with the same tiebreaker goals, the I believe that it goes to a coin flip to see who would be 1st and 2nd seeds.  Both would share the title of 5A West conference champs.
Both teams need to win by as many points on their remaining games for that 3 tiebreaker ppg.
But the Harrison@LRCA game will be huge for both teams.
LRCA needs to win to keep 1st seed.
Harrison needs to win by 2 or more to solidify 1st seed.
As stated above, if Harrison only wins by 1, then tiebreaker pts can decide it or as also stated above, if then still a tie, then coin flip.
These two teams are great 5A soccer teams.  Both of these teams have had some great soccer records over the previous years when the were in different conferences and met each other in the playoffs.  I'm glad that they are now both in the West conference.  This upcoming game should be a great game, but my only concern is that neither team gets any bad injuries from this game that might affect their playoff games.

Side note:  I just got a text from Veagles twitter that Harrison leads 7-0 at half as I was typing the above.

Scots10

how does a shootout go down for tie break points or record?

Scots10

I understand it could never happen... but it would be nice the Arkansas could set the top teams up no matter what A they are and have them play more.  Would help the kids get better and we wouldn't have to see so many 100-0 games.

chaoslord

Quote from: Scots10 on April 30, 2015, 12:24:52 am
how does a shootout go down for tie break points or record?

The winner of a shootout is considered to have won the game by 1 goal, so for example a 1-1 score turns into 2-1 regardless of the number of kicks made from the penalty mark.

Scots10

Thanks, I appreciate all the help

Go Postal

Quote from: Scots10 on April 30, 2015, 12:27:41 am
I understand it could never happen... but it would be nice the Arkansas could set the top teams up no matter what A they are and have them play more.  Would help the kids get better and we wouldn't have to see so many 100-0 games.
I believe that there is a All Star game after the season is over with players from each "A" conference to make the East and West boys/girls teams for the two games.  They are usually the best athletes selected from different teams from all conferences.  I'm not sure how they are selected, but someone with more knowledge about this selection can give more info.

One way for a team to get better is nonconference games.  Play bigger schools and conferences.  Learn from your mistakes.  In high school play, smaller school teams usually only plays during the soccer season because some of their athletes play multisports during the rest of the school season.  Large public schools and private schools have athletes that play soccer only.  Maybe year round.  That is a challenge to smaller schools, but the skill and knowledge learned is all that matters.

Another way for a athlete to get better is to join and play in a Club ball team year round.  A whole new experience than high school ball.  The experience alone for an athlete can really help out their high school team during the soccer season.

Side note:  It can't hurt if a team has a coach that has the knowledge and experience of soccer training, strategy and game play also.  For instance, "Okay, guys and gals, we need to run 5 miles to build up your stamina, then we will work on your strategy and game play".  Yea, I know that soccer has only been recognized as a sport in Arkansas since 1998, but schools are growing to include soccer as one of their sports over the years.  Hint to high school boards, hire a good soccer coach.  The athletes/fans will follow.

...off my soapbox for now. 

Scots10

I get that... but what I'm saying is that seeing all these terribly lopsided games isn't good for anyone.  The better teams would be learning more at practice and the poor teams just get crushed.

MDXPHD

LRCA girls won 2-0.

LRCA subs constantly and intentionally wastes time; more than any other team I've seen this season.  I'm not sure if that's just their style or if they only do it against Harrison. As an unbiased fan, Harrison looked better tonight.  Harrison allowed a second goal in the final couple minutes because they were playing all offense, knowing a win is what they needed.  Both teams are pretty even, but I believe it would be hard for LRCA to beat them a third time. LRCA now has the easiest path to the championship. I believe Valley View, PA, and Harrison girls are all on the same side, which is disappointing.

Go Postal

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 01, 2015, 07:40:21 pm
LRCA girls won 2-0.

LRCA subs constantly and intentionally wastes time; more than any other team I've seen this season.  I'm not sure if that's just their style or if they only do it against Harrison. As an unbiased fan, Harrison looked better tonight.  Harrison allowed a second goal in the final couple minutes because they were playing all offense, knowing a win is what they needed.  Both teams are pretty even, but I believe it would be hard for LRCA to beat them a third time. LRCA now has the easiest path to the championship. I believe Valley View, PA, and Harrison girls are all on the same side, which is disappointing.
I got a text about that 2nd goal near the end of the game.  Dang it, but when you go full pressure on offense, then that can happen.  I saw these two teams play in the 1st game, wish I could have seen this game also.  Congrats to the Lady Warriors.
I'm glad that LRCA is now in the West.  My favorite 3 girl's teams are the ones that are usually in the semis and/or final games in the past are Harrison, LRCA and PA.

Scots10

LRCA girls won 2-0.

When you have subs to be able to do that and know that all you have to do is keep the lead it's a pretty smart tactical decision. 

2 full games with out allowing a goal against Harrison is pretty impressive.

Go Postal

May 01, 2015, 08:59:31 pm #33 Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 09:03:06 pm by Go Postal
MDXPHD, on the subject of subbing, have you seen DeQueen boys play yet?  The first time I saw them was the first time they played in the 5A and in the playoffs.  They came in with a 4-peat 4A State Championship.  Undefeated in their 5A conference.  Semi game vs Harrison.  I believe that I counted around 45 athletes on their team.  Their 1st substitution was 7 players. then more of the same on the rest of their substitutions.  Now most teams with this many players could put in some of their lesser skilled players to give their skilled players a relief.  But what really got me was that their 2nd, 3rd, etc teams were as good as the 1st team. :o  Harrison won that game, but only because our stamina of our athletes.  Best most fast paced, physical and skilled game that I have ever seen between two teams.  In other words, "Run 5 miles, then we will practice on skill and strategy".

MDXPHD

Quote from: Scots10 on May 01, 2015, 08:53:13 pm
LRCA girls won 2-0.

When you have subs to be able to do that and know that all you have to do is keep the lead it's a pretty smart tactical decision. 

Some people may see it as a "tactical decision." Just like in high school basketball when teams hold the ball because there is no shot clock.  It's definitely "tactical" but that doesn't mean it's good for the game.  When Shiloh beat Harrison a couple of years ago, they played tactical soccer and stacked the box because they were overmatched.  It just takes away from what the game is suppose to be like; I guess the "spirt of the game." There needs to be a regulation, such as 3-4 subs per half.  Just like there should be a shot clock in basketball.

MDXPHD

May 01, 2015, 09:02:40 pm #35 Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 09:04:39 pm by MDXPHD
Quote from: Go Postal on May 01, 2015, 08:59:31 pm
MDXPHD, on the subject of subbing, have you seen DeQueen boys play yet?  The first time I saw them was the first time they played in the 5A and in the playoffs.  They came in with a 4-peat 4A State Championship.  Undefeated in their 5A conference.  Semi game vs Harrison.  I believe that I counted around 45 athletes on their team.  Their 1st substitution was 7 players. then more of the same on the rest of their substitutions.  Now most teams with this many players could put in some of their lesser skilled players to give their skilled players a relief.  But what really got me was that their 2nd, 3rd, etc teams were as good as the 1st team. :o  Harrison won that game, but only because our stamina of our athletes.  Best most fast pasted, physical and skilled game that I have ever seen between two teams.  In other words, "Run 5 miles, then we will practice on skill and strategy".

I have seen them play and how they sub.  The difference between them and LRCA (and plenty of other teams) is that DeQueen does it because they have that many players that can play.  They stay fresh that way and don't do it for the sake of doing it. They are fortunate enough to have that many quality players. It's insane that they have so many and plays into the Arkansas playoff setup nicely, because of how many games in just as many days. The other teams that I'm referencing are doing it simply to delay the game and waste time. 

hogbert

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 01, 2015, 09:00:53 pm
LRCA girls won 2-0.

Some people may see it as a "tactical decision." Just like in high school basketball when teams hold the ball because there is no shot clock.  It's definitely "tactical" but that doesn't mean it's good for the game.  When Shiloh beat Harrison a couple of years ago, they played tactical soccer and stacked the box because they were overmatched.  It just takes away from what the game is suppose to be like; I guess the "spirt of the game." There needs to be a regulation, such as 3-4 subs per half.  Just like there should be a shot clock in basketball.

oh good lord. When you broke out the "spirit of the game" quote i about snorted pepsi out my nose. Thanks for the "unbiased" look.

Scots10

Quote from: hogbert on May 01, 2015, 09:05:54 pm
LRCA girls won 2-0.

oh good lord. When you broke out the "spirit of the game" quote i about snorted pepsi out my nose. Thanks for the "unbiased" look.

Yeah, to be fair you have made it clear that your view is a bit biased MDXPHD

MDXPHD

Quote from: Scots10 on May 01, 2015, 09:12:05 pm
LRCA girls won 2-0.

Yeah, to be fair you have made it clear that your view is a bit biased MDXPHD

I don't guess I was clear when I made that statement. Going into the game I was unbiased (I actually live less than a mile from LRCA, so it would make more sense to go for them).  After the game, I guess I am for whoever LRCA is playing against. They are a very good team, don't get me wrong.  I enjoy watching them play, when they play.  The center forward and keeper are both great players.  It will be interesting to see if they beat PA/Harrison in the finals though.

Go Postal

Let me say now that MDXPHD is not a West fan, he appreciates great teams for soccer and other sportsl

MDXPHD

No problem, hogbert.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Go Postal on May 01, 2015, 09:25:44 pm
Let me say now that MDXPHD is not a West fan, he appreciates great teams for soccer and other sportsl

Haha, I'm glad you know me Postal.  I'm very far from a West fan in almost every sport lol.

Go Postal

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 01, 2015, 09:26:54 pm
Quote from: Go Postal on May 01, 2015, 09:25:44 pm

Haha, I'm glad you know me Postal.  I'm very far from a West fan in almost every sport lol.
;)  Keeping the 5A alive.

MDXPHD

Back to this discussion, LRCA boys play Maumelle next Friday for first place in the West, correct? So one of those two teams will also be the two seed, playing VV boys in the second round I think. LRCA girls are 1, Harrison 2.  Harrison will have a tough draw, playing VV, PA, then LRCA again if they want to win the championship.  LRCA will have a nice bracket to rest players if they want to.

Go Postal

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 01, 2015, 09:25:59 pm

No problem, hogbert.

I have done this many times during ALL sports games over the years, though it wasn't always pepsi.  Dang, it burns anyway. :)

Sir Alex

I don't think that any team can count on anything playing at Hope.  The beauty of the state tournament is that every game is elimination and anything can happen at anytime, Weather, officials, loss of key players etc etc...  Should be interesting to see how things unfold.  The predictions may be correct and on paper they probably are.  In the end you have to beat good teams to win a state title no matter what classification it is.

Go Postal

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 01, 2015, 09:35:23 pm
Back to this discussion, LRCA boys play Maumelle next Friday for first place in the West, correct? So one of those two teams will also be the two seed, playing VV boys in the second round I think. LRCA girls are 1, Harrison 2.  Harrison will have a tough draw, playing VV, PA, then LRCA again if they want to win the championship.  LRCA will have a nice bracket to rest players if they want to.
Yes, on the boys side, LRCA/Maumelle will be big.

on the girls side, Lady Goblins might have the bigger challenge.  Hope they will face LRCA in the finals.

Side note:  The Lady Goblins are the current 5A Champs, Lady Bruins are the current 5A State Runner-ups.  Did I mention on record that...
Lady Bruins have 6 State Championships and 3 State Runner-ups
Lady Goblins have 4 State Championships and 2 State Runner-ups
just throwing this in...
Lady Warriors have 2 State Championships and 5 State Runner-ups.

Go Postal

Quote from: Sir Alex on May 01, 2015, 09:51:53 pm
<I don't think that any team can count on anything playing at Hope.  The beauty of the state tournament is that every game is elimination and anything can happen at anytime, Weather, officials, loss of key players etc etc...  Should be interesting to see how things unfold.  The predictions may be correct and on paper they probably are.  In the end you have to beat good teams to win a state title no matter what classification it is.>
Great quote from a Goblin fan on 5A playoffs.  +1.

sevenof400

As an aside, it is within the referee's discretion to stop the clock if s/he believes substitutions are being made expressly for this purpose.  You don't often see it called but there is a rule to allow the referee this discretion.

sevenof400

Quote from: Sir Alex on May 01, 2015, 09:51:53 pm
I don't think that any team can count on anything playing at Hope.  The beauty of the state tournament is that every game is elimination and anything can happen at anytime, Weather, officials, loss of key players etc etc...  Should be interesting to see how things unfold.  The predictions may be correct and on paper they probably are.  In the end you have to beat good teams to win a state title no matter what classification it is.

See last year's state tournament, first round for example of this.
(W4) Morrilton 2, (E1) Nettleton 1

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas