• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top 10 Arkansas High school Golfers of all time

Started by arksportsfan, January 12, 2013, 03:40:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arksportsfan

List the top ten Arkansas high school golfers of all-time based only on their high school career.

arksportsfan

1. Ron Whitiker
2. Petey King
3. Bryce Molder
4. Jay Fox
5. Jeremy Branch
6. Jon Whitiker
7. Beau Glover
8. John Daly

TTofGreenwood

Can you list Daly's high school numbers? I've always wondered how he was back then. Thanks.

arksportsfan

Daly actually went to high school in Jefferson City, Mo. Where he won the Missouri High School state championship and the Missouri State Amateur in 1983, as a junior. I threw him in anyway because what hog fan doesn't like John Daly.

TTofGreenwood

Jack O'keefe needs on the list and David White as well.

Rivercrest

If you don't have Alex carpenter on the list. The list is flawed. He will be the best player to ever come out of the state. He came from Arkansas baptist (3a). I've played with him 3 times. 2 in state championships and once at an ASGA event in maumelle. He shot 66, 68, 68. As solid as they come. Won the southern am. 2 state championships. If you don't know anything about him he is worth looking up!

edghog

January 21, 2013, 12:39:55 pm #6 Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:44:28 pm by edghog
David Lee has to be on this list. Hot Springs native and two time Razorback captain in the 60s. Brief career on the PGA tour before career ending injury. Founder of the Gravity Golf Teaching System and former Golf Magazine's Top 100 Teachers.
Resides in Greenville SC now.
www.gravitygolf.com
(Current students in Arkansas include Fort Smith's Addison Mitchell class of 2016 & Ozark's John Edgin class of 2015.)
David's high school career was good enough to land him on the Razorback golf team. I'm not sure of his HS accomplishments but he was & is a very good player.

Heat13

Daly also played in the '84 Arkansas High School Overall Championship....but believe he only finished 3rd or 4th...maybe even 5th....my memory not so good...do remember Chris Porter was the winner.....got to witness that as I was hacking it around....

edghog

Quote from: Rivercrest on January 20, 2013, 11:26:08 am
If you don't have Alex carpenter on the list. The list is flawed. He will be the best player to ever come out of the state. He came from Arkansas baptist (3a). I've played with him 3 times. 2 in state championships and once at an ASGA event in maumelle. He shot 66, 68, 68. As solid as they come. Won the southern am. 2 state championships. If you don't know anything about him he is worth looking up!
Pretty sure he was 4A State medalist last year at Blytheville's Thunder Bayou. But I could be mistaken. I know I've seen his name some in a few ASGAs. Good player.

TTofGreenwood

FWIW, I have a 5th and 2nd at overalls in '91 and '92. Guarantee the 1992 finish was the best that no one's heard about. Jon W. buried a 65 footer on 17 to tie me (my little chip from front edge lipped out) and then he rolled in 30 footer on 18 for the lead! And my 13 footer for the tie.....yep, lipped out.  It was an awesome duel!

He was a Soph at Catholic that year.

nike1029

Alex Carpenter bio:    High School: A four time Arkansas State Champion and four time All-State golfer at Arkansas Baptist High School. Included a runner up finish as a senior and a third place finish as a sophomore at the Arkansas State Golf Championships. As a junior golfer Carpenter earned two victories on the National circuit winning AJGA Texas/Oklahoma Junior Championship in Wichita Falls and the AJGA Medicus Post-Season Tournament. He recorded eight top 25 finishes, five of which were in the top 15 on the AJGA tour including an eighth place finish in Roswell, Georgia at AJGA Southeastern Open. As a member of the Texas Junior Golf Tour Carpenter recorded five top 10 finishes and two fourth place finishes. He was also a 9 time winner as a member of the Arkansas State Golf Association including a win at the U.S. Junior Golf Tour in Hot Springs, Arkansas.   He also had two top 5 finishes on the Amateur circuit in the summer of his senior year. Alex also played basketball and was a starting forward as a junior and senior.
Personal: Born 26 June 1990. 2

Rivercrest

Quote from: edghog on January 22, 2013, 01:45:15 pm
Pretty sure he was 4A State medalist last year at Blytheville's Thunder Bayou. But I could be mistaken. I know I've seen his name some in a few ASGAs. Good player.

His baby brother is who you are thinking of.

edghog

Quote from: Rivercrest on January 26, 2013, 04:57:41 am
Quote from: edghog on January 22, 2013, 01:45:15 pm
Yeah, I wasn't very sure. Thanks.

His baby brother is who you are thinking of.

nike1029

Luke Carpenter graduated the year before. Drake Merritt of Valley View won in 2011.

edghog

Quote from: nike1029 on January 29, 2013, 05:08:32 pm
Luke Carpenter graduated the year before. Drake Merritt of Valley View won in 2011.
Thx. Time flys and my memory aint what it used to be.
How about a prediction? Ozark's John Edgin in 13 or 14. Maybe both. He was Conference 1-4A medalist as a FR & SO. What makes that so special is that he was a true Freshman, one of the youngest kids in his class and Shiloh had 4 kids that year that could play. His SO year, Pea Ridge & Gentry both had a couple kids that could play. Both years, he had his worst round of the entire year at State and still almost made all state. He has a hole in one at an ASGA tournament, The Ben Mayo at Hardscrabble. He won the NWA region JR PGA and was state runner up in the Overall state JR PGA last year in his age group. He is a back to back winner at the Chuck Morton JR ASGA at Big Creek in Mtn Home also. He is a student of David Lee, Gravity Golf, (Greenville SC) and has been since he was 8. Check out his website at www.jwedgin.com. Feedback appreciated.

Bogey

Hard to narrow it down to (10), and quite a few have already been named.  However, a few others that deserve to be mentioned and considered include: Mitch Beaver (Lonoke), Russell Wrentz (Cabot), and didn't Ken Duke play high school golf?  I know he played at Henderson State in college, but I also think he played at Arkadelphia.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas