• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Best That Never Was

Started by Romeo, February 12, 2015, 10:55:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Romeo

I was re-watching the ESPN 30 for 30 on Marcus Dupree and was thinking about some of the best high school players in Arkansas that never really reached their full potential. I think obviously Basil Shabazz would be number one on that list. Then there's other players like Keniko Logan, Jayson Johnson of LR Fair, and Ron Johnson of Watson Chapel. Who do you think are some of the best players from your schools that didn't meet expectations? For Warren, it was definitely Robert Patton. Robert Patton was a 6-3 310 defensive tackle that was a freak of nature. He played during a time when Warren actually had huge linemen. He was listed as a USA Today all-USA honorable mention as a sophomore: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/sfhs96st.htm He was getting recruitment letters from pretty every school in the SEC and other conferences. He would have definitely been rated at least a four star player in today's recruiting system. Problem was he only played one season for Warren. I think most Stuttgart fans would also remember Keon Blood.

STUNNA

During my time in Arkansas the best that never made it would have to be Terrance Hampton from Warren... Originally signed to play for the Razorbacks but never made it...The best overall football player to play at warren since 2000... Can't speak on any Warren players before then...

cuckoobird

Jerry Pryor of the Barton Bears. He was a beast on offense and defense During the last years of their dominance. I think he was about 6'2" 220 and run a 4.4 forty. Went to the hill on scholarship but never developed into a college player. I guess it could have been grades but Idk

Burks

Stuttgart also had RB Keithdrick Smith. Rushed for over 2000 yards to help current PB coach Bobby Bolding win a State Championship with the Ricebirds in 2002. Never knew what happened to Smith after that season. Rashaud Walker 6'4 310 was a D1 prospect for Malvern Leopards in 2002, don't remember him playing his Senior season. Jonathan Butler from Pulaski Robinson in 1992, I thought would have played in the NFL.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Romeo on February 12, 2015, 10:55:34 pm
Keniko Logan

Man Romeo, that's a name I haven't heard in a LONG time.  That dude was one of the best running backs I've ever seen in person at the high school level.  He had so much ability, but unfortunately ran with the wrong crowd at Northside.  Went from being offered a schollie by Nebraska (when they were at the top of CFB) to ending up in prison.  Such a shame.

AirWarren

Dan Dawson was also on that list that Romeo posted a link to. Went on to play for the Seattle Seahawks by way of bauxite.

EagleForLife12

Ray-Charles Tucker from Crossett has to be near the top of this list

beach bum

February 13, 2015, 07:49:12 pm #7 Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 11:35:04 pm by beach bum
Up in small town NW Arkansas we have never had this problem  ;D .... look at the state titles for 2A through 4A. We don't exactly dominate the state through out history. Besides Fayetteville and Bentonville I don't think college recruiters and coaches would even know NWA existed.... I will always love my hometown in NWA though.

polksalet

wingman

Tony Lockhart, Beebe badgers in the late 90's

minerjack

Quote from: AirWarren on February 13, 2015, 01:14:01 pm
Dan Dawson was also on that list that Romeo posted a link to. Went on to play for the Seattle Seahawks by way of bauxite.
Drafted by the Arizona Cardinals.  Never played though because of basically a broken knee.

minerjack

He sure lived up to his hype, though.  Man, he could play.  Still holds one or two NCAA records.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas