• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Other than the Benton game this is Bryant's

Started by Walter, September 30, 2014, 06:53:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter

first game that means anything. Catholic always plays us tough and since only 3 games mean anything we have to win this one. I have to pick Bryant because of our running and kicking game. Final score Bryant 24 Catholic 14.

Pr8hd

September 30, 2014, 09:32:23 pm #1 Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 06:33:10 pm by Pr8hd
Quote from: SardisHog on September 30, 2014, 06:53:56 pm
first game that means anything. Catholic always plays us tough and since only 3 games mean anything we have to win this one. I have to pick Bryant because of our running and kicking game. Final score Bryant 24 Catholic 14.

So since you think you beat Catholic, does that mean you think you beat Alma at home the following week?

Walter

I do but that game means nothing, win or lose. Only 7A conference games mean anything in playoff positioning to a 7A team. I do not care for this setup. I guess non 7A games mean something towards conference championships but I am not even sure of that. 

Don't misunderstand me, El Dorado and PB gave us all we could handle in the last conference alignment with us losing to them at times. 6A has some good teams. I can't believe Greenwood is our homecoming game.  I just don't think Alma is to that level yet.

AT

Hey Sardis, here's kind of a summary of what I saw from Catholic last Friday.

Offensively: Catholic doesn't really throw any wrinkles or trick plays at you. They just line up and hand it off or pass. The formations are rather simple. Their offensive line in terms of run blocking wasn't the most impressive. Alma's D-Line was in the backfield all night and held their big running back (#7) to 31 yards on 18 carries...less than 2 yards per carry.

Their passing game is a little more scary. I don't know if our D-Line just wasn't getting a good rush or if their O-Line is just that much better at pass blocking, but we didn't get to their QB, Sale, all night. Sale has a good arm and is a pretty good QB. After the first half, we kept their passing game in check.

But in the first half, they were hitting their 6' 5" receiver, Purifoy (#9) and that was who they hit on the touchdown pass that eventually won the game. They hit him for a couple of other big plays in the first half, but never cashed in on them. They have two other wide receivers that are kind of Wes Welker types. They run good routes and are speedy, not the biggest guys.

In general, if their offense is getting first downs, then expect a fast game because they like to milk the clock and win the game with their defense

Defensively: I don't know if Catholic's D Coordinator always does this but I was very impressed with his gameplan against Alma. Alma had a few big plays here and there, but other than that it seems Catholic knew what we were going to run a lot of the night and we couldn't execute against their defense. Just a very solid defense in my opinion last Friday, but we'll see how they do against Bryant.

Special teams: Nothing really sticks out. Their punting was having problems with Alma's punt block rush all night (even though a running into the kicker is what ended the game for the Airedales). Their kicker has the leg for about a 40 yarder, but he clanked a 41 yarder off the upright.

In general: I think Bryant is able to keep their offense on the field and make some big plays. I also think they keep Catholic's offense in check.

Pr8hd

October 01, 2014, 06:39:38 pm #4 Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:28:44 pm by Pr8hd
Quote from: SardisHog on October 01, 2014, 03:52:27 am
I do but that game means nothing, win or lose. Only 7A conference games mean anything in playoff positioning to a 7A team. I do not care for this setup. I guess non 7A games mean something towards conference championships but I am not even sure of that. 

Don't misunderstand me, El Dorado and PB gave us all we could handle in the last conference alignment with us losing to them at times. 6A has some good teams. I can't believe Greenwood is our homecoming game.  I just don't think Alma is to that level yet.

6A (Central and East) teams are in same boat only playing 3 meaningful games. I know ED and PB played you all tough while in conference, but y'all benefited by being the only 7A team there in the South for a few years.  I think you guys got a good draw in getting them and us at home even if the games mean nothing, both places can be tough to get wins. Alma really got it rough by drawing y'all and Conway in back to back weeks on the road. Look forward to visiting there. We have friends that moved here from Bryant and they raved about living there.

Walter

Bryant is a small community with a lot of growth, population of about 9,000. The size of the school is from the rural community it serves around Bryant, which is one of those areas I live in.

We have not never been the top team in our division but we have been a good, competitive team. One of these days I think we will be but who knows when. Fun to watch. Almatrackster thanks for the information. I will read it again before the game.

Lanny

Quote from: SardisHog on October 02, 2014, 07:03:20 am
Bryant is a small community with a lot of growth, population of about 9,000. The size of the school is from the rural community it serves around Bryant, which is one of those areas I live in.

We have not never been the top team in our division but we have been a good, competitive team. One of these days I think we will be but who knows when. Fun to watch. Almatrackster thanks for the information. I will read it again before the game.

When will Bryant make it past the 2nd round in playoffs?

Walter

Quote from: Lanny on October 02, 2014, 10:35:37 am

When we don't have to play a 7A west team in the second round. We are jinxed!!!!

NLR4Eva

Quote from: SardisHog on October 02, 2014, 10:37:29 am

When we don't have to play a 7A west team in the second round. We are jinxed!!!!

Last year didn't count then?

Walter

Quote from: NLR4Eva on October 02, 2014, 12:03:44 pm
Quote from: SardisHog on October 02, 2014, 10:37:29 am

Last year didn't count then?

Of course NOT!!!! LOL

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas