• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A East Scores

Started by Neers34, December 10, 2015, 09:13:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Neers34

Daily Scoring Thread. How's everyone started off this season?

Chief-Chickasaw

Blytheville played like crap over the weekend and lost to Marion and West Memphis.  Rebounded Tuesday versus Caruthersville and beat them by 20.  Chicks play a very good Bay team tonight at Bay.  This team seems to be a little streaky right now.  When they are on they are really good.  Best get them early cause when they finally gel they are gonna be really tough.

Silky Johnson

So is Blythville 1-3? I saw where they've lost to Sikeston, MO, Marion, and West Memphis and you say they beat Caruthersville, MO. They should have some good games with Nettleton, Valley View, and Forrest City in conf. Paragould will also surprise some people.

Chief-Chickasaw

I believe the Chicks are 2-3 now they beat Bay, which is surprisingly tough, last night 50-44.

MDXPHD

Batesville boys are 2-3 and the girls are now 7-0.

Grond

December 17, 2015, 08:03:55 pm #5 Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:43:04 pm by Grond
Paragould is 6-0. Our sophomores have stepped up well, and our junior post (Collin Kingston) has played well. And Clifford has improved his defense and assists.  :)

Paragould has beat both Dyersburg schools, and Ripley (Tennessee schools). But I am not sure they have played competition as tough as Blytheville's opponents.  :-\

On Friday, 12/18/15, Paragould goes to Little Rock to play JA Fair. That will be a better measure of Paragould's level of talent.  ;)

Chief-Chickasaw

Blytheville improves to 3-3 beating Osceola 83-64 at home last night.  They play in the Dyersburg tournament tonight.

Neers34

Batesville girls improve to 7-0
Boys improve to 4-3

MDXPHD

Quote from: Neers34 on December 19, 2015, 11:47:11 am
Batesville girls improve to 7-0
Boys improve to 4-3

Should be 8-0

Neers34

Correction girls are 8-0.

Chief-Chickasaw

Blytheville beats Dyersburg 61-56 tonight

Grond

Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on December 19, 2015, 06:21:43 pm
Blytheville beats Dyersburg 61-56 tonight

That was about the same margin as Paragould's win over Dyersburg.

Paragould lost to JA Fair.

proud_dad

Wynne Lady Jackets-15
Nettleton Lady Raiders-34
2nd 5:47

proud_dad

Wynne Lady Jackets-19
Nettleton Lady Raiders-58
HALFTIME!!!

proud_dad

Wynne Lady Jackets-21
Nettleton Lady Raiders-72
End of 3rd

proud_dad

Wynne Lady Jackets-30
Nettleton Lady Raiders-83
FINAL

NEA Razorback olfan

Boys
Valley View 67
Blytheville 58
Final

Alexander Gorton 41pts

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on January 08, 2016, 10:01:05 pm
Boys
Valley View 67
Blytheville 58
Final

Alexander Gorton 41pts

Gorton really impressed me.  I like Valley View as a team they have a good outside inside combination.  Gorton ran our guards to death.  1st kid I've seen to physically wear out Blytheville Guards.  Their big man played really well and stopped or altered a lot of shots in the lane.

Blytheville gets more of the same tonight at home against Paragould.  Really good shooter with a nice mixture of bigs.  I think Paragoulds shooter may be a better all around player then Gorton but I don't think Paragoulds team is as good as Valley View.  I think Blytheville should win is a close one at home.  Blytheville needs this win to stay in the hunt for the 4 playoff spots.

Grond

Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on January 12, 2016, 08:11:35 am
Boys
Valley View 67
Blytheville 58
Final

Alexander Gorton 41pts

Gorton really impressed me.  I like Valley View as a team they have a good outside inside combination.  Gorton ran our guards to death.  1st kid I've seen to physically wear out Blytheville Guards.  Their big man played really well and stopped or altered a lot of shots in the lane.

Blytheville gets more of the same tonight at home against Paragould.  Really good shooter with a nice mixture of bigs.  I think Paragoulds shooter may be a better all around player then Gorton but I don't think Paragoulds team is as good as Valley View.  I think Blytheville should win is a close one at home.  Blytheville needs this win to stay in the hunt for the 4 playoff spots.

Paragould - Blytheville
This game will be the first true test of how Paragould will compete in the 5A East. Recently, when opponents focused on Clifford, the other players have been able to step up.

But Paragould does not play the disciplined basketball that you get from Valley View. Consequently, Blytheville will be more competitive. Which ever team gets too emotional, and shuts down their brains, will lose.

And hopefully the home refs won't be too hard on Blytheville!  :P (Seems like the refs are harder on Blytheville at home than they are on the visitors.)

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: Grond on January 12, 2016, 12:32:48 pm
Boys
Valley View 67
Blytheville 58
Final

Alexander Gorton 41pts

Paragould - Blytheville
This game will be the first true test of how Paragould will compete in the 5A East. Recently, when opponents focused on Clifford, the other players have been able to step up.

But Paragould does not play the disciplined basketball that you get from Valley View. Consequently, Blytheville will be more competitive. Which ever team gets too emotional, and shuts down their brains, will lose.

And hopefully the home refs won't be too hard on Blytheville!  :P (Seems like the refs are harder on Blytheville at home than they are on the visitors.)
Funny you say that cause I have been thinking it for years.  The girls coach, Coach Young, usually gets the refs all PO'ed during the girls game that doesn't matter and then they take it out on the boys lol.  Just kidding kind of.  Refs usually don't let Blytheville play with any physicality at home.  I don't know why that is but they let visiting teams push the Chicks around.  Maybe they think we should out athlete people.  I wouldn't blame it on the fans they take it pretty easy on the Refs at home for the most part.  What are your thoughts GROND?

Grond

Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on January 12, 2016, 01:23:37 pm
Quote from: Grond on January 12, 2016, 12:32:48 pm
Boys
Valley View 67
Blytheville 58
Final

Alexander Gorton 41pts

Paragould - Blytheville

Funny you say that cause I have been thinking it for years.  The girls coach, Coach Young, usually gets the refs all PO'ed during the girls game that doesn't matter and then they take it out on the boys lol.  Just kidding kind of.  Refs usually don't let Blytheville play with any physicality at home.  I don't know why that is but they let visiting teams push the Chicks around.  Maybe they think we should out athlete people.  I wouldn't blame it on the fans they take it pretty easy on the Refs at home for the most part.  What are your thoughts GROND?

Over the years (5?) of watching Paragould/Blytheville basketball games at Blytheville, it seems the officials were more critical of the home team (Blytheville). In fact, I can't think of a bad experience for Paragould.

I have seen a number of calls that seemed to go against Blytheville. Saw the ball go off a Paragould player, then go out of bounds....and be given to Paragould. Blytheville coach freaks, leading to further problems.

But that is basketball. Frankly, I think the modern high school basketball game is extremely difficult to officiate. I'm not sure how it is done, because the rules are so ticky. Fouls are more difficult to choose, "walking" varies greatly in how it is called. It is tough.

And I think fans who get "out of hand" at the officials should be sentenced to go ref a 5th grade girls' basketball game! Talk about insanity!  :P

olemissjacket99

Chief-Chickasaw

Paragould Boys and Girls beat Blytheville. Boys game went about like me and Grond discussed earlier.  Stat of the game Paragould went 27 for 28 on free throws.  Player of the game #35 for Paragould, big guy who doesn't look overly athletic killed us from 3 point line and down low with post moves. I was very impressed.
Boys 71-59
Girls 55-35

Grond

Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on January 13, 2016, 08:02:56 am
Paragould Boys and Girls beat Blytheville. Boys game went about like me and Grond discussed earlier.  Stat of the game Paragould went 27 for 28 on free throws.  Player of the game #35 for Paragould, big guy who doesn't look overly athletic killed us from 3 point line and down low with post moves. I was very impressed.
Boys 71-59
Girls 55-35

#35 is Collin Kingston, a Junior. He is a very good outside shooter, and his paint, ball-handling, and defense have improved greatly. (If you have a young high school forward, get him tougher by having him practice against a D2 o-lineman!  :P )

Collin started last year. He has moved from 10 pts/game to 20 pts/game. With opposing defenses focusing on Brandon Clifford, it has presented opportunities for Collin; and to Collin's credit, he has been good enough to take advantage of the situation.

If Collin were 2 inches taller, he could possibly play small college basketball. (He is 6'-4".)

Danold Dump

Paragould boys are the team to beat.....dump out

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: Danold Dump on January 14, 2016, 08:18:04 am
I think it is Valley View those boys are good.  Forest City has the best Player but I think Valley View is the best team.

Grond

Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on January 15, 2016, 08:43:24 am
I think it is Valley View those boys are good.  Forest City has the best Player but I think Valley View is the best team.

Valley View does an excellent job of SCREENING AWAY FROM THE BALL. In turn, they do a good job of getting the ball to the open man.

For Paragould to compete with Valley View tonight [1/15/16], they must be much more effective at passing off the screen; something Paragould has not been good at. Against Blytheville, Brandon had a step on his defender several times, breaking to the basket; but the point guards could not get him the ball.

hogfan7

Quote from: Grond on January 15, 2016, 12:20:50 pm

Valley View does an excellent job of SCREENING AWAY FROM THE BALL. In turn, they do a good job of getting the ball to the open man.

For Paragould to compete with Valley View tonight [1/15/16], they must be much more effective at passing off the screen; something Paragould has not been good at. Against Blytheville, Brandon had a step on his defender several times, breaking to the basket; but the point guards could not get him the ball.
I predict that Valley View takes this one by 15+

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: hogfan7 on January 15, 2016, 01:50:52 pm
Quote from: Grond on January 15, 2016, 12:20:50 pm

I predict that Valley View takes this one by 15+
I won't go Valley View by 15+ I think the game goes closer to the Valley View/Blytheville game and VV wins by 7-10. I think the EAST is Valley View and Forest City then Paragould, Nettleton, Blytheville, and GCT are pretty even Wynne and Batesville bring up the rear but not that far behind.

Neers34

Boys
Batesville 67
Blytheville 61

Grond

Boys:
Paragould 71
Valley View 59

Boo-ya!

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Grond on January 15, 2016, 08:41:21 pm
Boys:
Paragould 71
Valley View 59

Boo-ya!

Congrats to the Rams!!

godeep

Danold Dump

Chief-Chickasaw ....seriously valley view? Lol a bunch of rich spoiled white boys lol Paragould dumped on em. Don't doubt the dump...the dump knows his game.

Danold Dump

Grond

Regarding the PARAGOULD / VALLEY VIEW Boys game: A Quick Analysis

Brandon Clifford: 30 pts
Clifford has been playing well, but he hasn't had a game where he was "ON"......until tonight (1/15/16). Don't know his stats, but my guess is he had around 30 pts. Valley View did not respect Clifford on defense.....and paid the price.

Shooting Fixes Everything
Collin Kingston (post) hit something like 5-for-5 three's in the second half! Deandre Cullins (point) was also ON, making moves to the basket.

Valley View: Suffering from TACTICAL ATTITUDE
The Blazers have a great team, and the best coaching staff in the 5A East. But I thought the VV coaching staff did a better job in 2015 (VV won both games back then). I got the feeling that the VV coaches had decided on a series of tactics to beat Paragould, but were too inflexible in making adjustments.

For example, I did not see Valley View try any ZONE DEFENSE, to deal with Clifford and Cullins driving into the lane. VV seemed content to let Paragould spread their defense out. Also, VV was not setting screens as well on offense; they seemed to have gotten into the habit of individual players making plays on offense.

Valley View seemed surprised by Paragould's quickness on defense, and the defensive play by Paragould (Kingston and Clifford) in the paint. VV was also determined to pressure Paragould out at half court; but they just weren't getting the results (i.e., turnovers).

Again, Shooting Fixes Everything
Having done this critical analysis of VV, when a team is shooting well (as Paragould was tonight), it is hard to stop them. Clifford seems to "rise to the moment" in Big Games.

When Paragould travels to Valley View, the Blazers will certainly have revenge on their mind.

godeep

I knew Captain Obvious had a nephew. I just figured out its Grond.

NEA Razorback olfan

Jonesboro Sun has Clifford with 31pts in win

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: Danold Dump on January 15, 2016, 10:50:24 pm
Chief-Chickasaw ....seriously valley view? Lol a bunch of rich spoiled white boys lol Paragould dumped on em. Don't doubt the dump...the dump knows his game.
I was defending Paragould someone else said VV by 15+ I said no way that VV beats Paragould by that much.  I said it would be a close game.  I was surprised by the final score though.  Good job Paragould.

Danold Dump

Sorry about that Chief Chickasaw!  The dump was just jacked for the Rams. 

Grond

Boys:
Paragould 57
GCT 49

Greene County Tech had a good strategy: zone defense, get shooters open, with some good post play.

Paragould hit a few shots late in the game, just when they needed to; and GCT missed a few shots, just when they needed to hit them. Also, GCT had several late turnovers (walking, and a charge) at just the wrong moment.

The game was much closer than the final score.

godeep

Neers34

Boys
Batesville 64
Wynne 53

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas