• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"y'alls fans aren't high school fans, they are summer ball fans"

Started by Badger Cubs, April 05, 2006, 12:43:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Badger Cubs

This comment was made this past weekend to some of our fans.

I took it as a complement. ;D  At least most summer ball parents have a passion for the sport and a love for the game.  Why else would you spend all summer sitting in lawn chairs in 100 plus degree weather cheering for your team. 8)

We may be a little loud (ok, alot loud) and even redneckish at times, but it's all in fun and a true desire for our children to excel.

WillieLowman

Quote from: Badger Blast on April 05, 2006, 12:43:20 pm

that should go down on a thread:

Badger Cubs

momofcps

Badger Cubs

Quote from: momofcps on April 05, 2006, 01:50:52 pm
;) SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ????????????????????
Whats your point ????? ::)

I know that this was said as an insult to the fan involved.  I just thought it was kinda funny and thought I would share it along with my thoughts on the subject.  Sorry if I wasted your time reading it.

momofcps

No that's not what I meant. What I meant was what's wrong with being a travel ball fan !!!!
I LOVE travel ball . Kinda taking to school ball  (have to now)- it is a quite an adjustment !!!!

Badger Cubs

Quote from: momofcps on April 05, 2006, 03:36:50 pm
No that's not what I meant. What I meant was what's wrong with being a travel ball fan !!!!
I LOVE travel ball . Kinda taking to school ball (have to now)- it is a quite an adjustment !!!!

Would a "bright shinny quarter" mean anything to you.

momofcps

True Fan

High school is OK. I prefer a summer because there are more teams. ( more softball ) There are multiple games for your team. ( more softball ) and more coaches who care about the game. I may have upset some people with this, but it's true. There are a lot of coaches on the high school level just killing time until their sport comes in. (football or basketball) Every summer coach has a vested interest in their teams. Yea, you can talk about the overbearing Dads and Moms just pushing their kids. If they want their kids to look good, they have to improve the rest of the team. There are more people in summer who admit that they don't know everything and are trying to improve their team, themselves, and the game. All of the discussions about the pitchers and batters being better has very little to do with high school softball. The girls playing now have played fastpitch all of their life. The summer season has allowed them to become the great players we see today. It's like comparing apple's and elephant's; it ain't even close.

disclaimer: There are some Outstanding High School programs and coaches around. This does not apply to them. This is directed to anyone who agreed to do it for the stipend.

True Fan

Oh yeah, Magnet Cove is blessed to have a "football" coach who just happens to be a great coach. He never coached fastpitch before, only his daughter's slow pitch several years ago. He has really learned the game and teaches strong fundamentals. This team won only 3 games last season. Right now they look like a pretty solid team.
Thanks Coach Efird!!!!!!!

strike3

Quote from: Mc10 fan on April 05, 2006, 04:35:57 pm
High school is OK. I prefer a summer because there are more teams. ( more softball ) There are multiple games for your team. ( more softball ) and more coaches who care about the game. I may have upset some people with this, but it's true. There are a lot of coaches on the high school level just killing time until their sport comes in. (football or basketball) Every summer coach has a vested interest in their teams. Yea, you can talk about the overbearing Dads and Moms just pushing their kids. If they want their kids to look good, they have to improve the rest of the team. There are more people in summer who admit that they don't know everything and are trying to improve their team, themselves, and the game. All of the discussions about the pitchers and batters being better has very little to do with high school softball. The girls playing now have played fastpitch all of their life. The summer season has allowed them to become the great players we see today. It's like comparing apple's and elephant's; it ain't even close.

disclaimer: There are some Outstanding High School programs and coaches around. This does not apply to them. This is directed to anyone who agreed to do it for the stipend.

I agree with this.  My daughter is getting down with school ball because of all the errors and the lack of offense but I just keep telling her summer ball is coming up and just use school ball for practice.  The only bad thing about this is local colleges tend to watch school ball and either don't have it in their budget to travel out of state to watch her play in summer or they don't have the time.  Her school ball sure doesn't make her look good.  The larger school's are who watch the large out of state tournaments and she would like to stay a little closer to home.  This is where I really get mad at ASU in Jonesboro for not having softball. 

Badger Cubs

Quote from: strike3 on April 07, 2006, 12:23:02 pm
This is where I really get mad at ASU in Jonesboro for not having softball.

It was either softball or bowling and they chose bowling.  :'(

http://www.asuindians.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&KEY=&SPID=2800&SPSID=35559

Truth B. Told

QuoteIt was either softball or bowling and they chose bowling.

And it's that kind of astute decision making that has made the ASU athletic program what it is today......3rd rate!

bigunit

There seems to be a huge misconception that ALL High School coaches are just in it for the stipend. There are MANY , eventhough softball is their "SECOND" sport,
that work just as hard in softball as any other sport. Thats called being a competitor.
They want to win and put as good of a product on the field as possible. Many go to just as many clinics and learn as much about the game as possible and coach
fundamentals. Im not trying to say that one is better than the other, but many people on here seem to think that summer ball is much better. I dont know that its better, its just different. The play may be elevated a bit, but that goes with the territory.
The fact is, summer coaches can " choose " the players they want, High School coaches have to play with ones that go to their school. I think High School and summer can go hand in hand.  People need to quit bashing High School coaches or trying to put ALL of them under one umbrella, because there are some very good ones around this state that love the game and do a great job coaching it.

True Fan

bigunit,
Read my post before you go slapping me. The post which brought up stipends and the post right after it should show you that I know everyone is not in it for the money.
You are right. There are a lot of good coaches out there. But, you are living in a fantasy world if you think there are high school coaches who would even think about fastpitch if they weren't pushed by the a.d. or needed the money.

The fact that super teams are built by summer coaches could make it obvious that summer is better. When you say play is "elevated", do you mean better?
I didn't say either one was better. I stated what I prefer.

Read the disclaimer. Any coach who thinks I'm bashing has a guilty conscience. And if you are not trying to learn the game and do the job right, somebody needs to bash you.

bigunit

I disagree that there are more coaches in the summer that care. Maybe you have just been around the wrong coaches. I also dont believe all high school
coaches are in it for the right reasons, but neither are all summer coaches.
Some summer coaches do it so their kid can play and bat where they want to.
Many high school coaches are more objective than daddy.

True Fan

Your right. There are good and bad on both sides of the field. I just believe that even the dads' or moms' who only coach for their kids sake are forced to try to help the team improve to help their kid even more. No body likes to lose and all coaches will try to win.
Sometimes, the fact that the coach is more objective than daddy comes across as a lack of passion for the game. The players pick up on this and play with more composure and less excitement. Thats why people aren't at the h.s. games.

When all is said and done, I go to both and love every game I get to see.

bigunit

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas