• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

06 Season Pitchers vs Hitters

Started by Dadof 24, February 14, 2006, 08:34:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dadof 24

I believe the game changes this year.  The advantage has gone to the pitchers for several years.  I think this year will see much more offense hitting power.  There is still quality pitching, probably the best ever, but I just believe this is the year of the power hitter.  Defenses have learned the short game and that further opens the lanes for a stroke.

Any thoughts?

wynneaholic©

could be very true with Wynne.  Their emphasis in pre-season has really been on hitting and proper techniques, not to mention they have McGuirt to practice against!! 

Purple Dog

Well, I definitely think the trend is headed in that direction, and Fayetteville's short game has never really impressed me anyway. For that matter most of the high schools, that I've watched, have lousy short games when compared to the better summer teams. Much like you folks down in Sheridan, Fayetteville also expects to have some decent hitters, so that should create some fun games to watch.

With that said, I'll always believe that great pitching always dominates great hitting. Here in Fayetteville, the difference between hitting batting practice off the coach and scrimmaging against live pitching is dramatic.   

SacBunt

Dadof24 wrote:

"Defenses have learned the short game and that further opens the lanes for a stroke."

High school coaches, for the most part, just don't seem to understand *how* to play the short game.  I've seen very few do it, and do it well.  Taking away the bunt in those circumstances isn't rocket surgery. ;)  Predictable batting takes as much away from the game as predictable pitching.

How many high school coaches effectively use the drag bunt?  How many have numerous players, not just a couple, who can bat from either side?  Train batters to be unpredictable to a point where even when they're showing bunt, you can't be sure they're not going to pull back and pop the ball over the infielders' heads?  Or sacrifice, for that matter? 

The number of coaches who teach those skills or are even willing to play the short game in a way that creates chaos and unpredictability are few.  That's a shame.  Frankly, the game is a lot more exciting played that way--at least to me.

Instead, all too often, you can depend on high school players always doing the same thing every time they're up to bat.  Maybe it's because the player isn't versatile.  Or maybe it's because the coach hasn't taught the skills, or doesn't know how to use them.  Always using the same batters as slappers or bunters or long ball hitters makes the defense's job a bit easier.  Take away that predictability, and you've got a *much* more interesting ballgame.

Just as a side note, since I'm avoiding work at the moment, I also find it frustrating to watch good games go down the tubes because coaches don't change their plan of attack by assessing the situation.  They play the game the same way, every inning, every game. 

The high school coaches who approach the game by embracing every single possibility, including the short game and changing how they play according to the situation, are the ones you will see coaching teams in Fayetteville after the rest have been eliminated.

If this is the year of the power hitter, it's only because coaches haven't explored all the options available for playing this game. 

Curveball

I thought the teams you see in Fayetteville when others aren't are the teams with the pitchers.  By the way what is the difference in a summer league coach and a high school coach?

wynneaholic©

Quote from: Curveball on February 16, 2006, 02:11:12 pm
I thought the teams you see in Fayetteville when others aren't are the teams with the pitchers. By the way what is the difference in a summer league coach and a high school coach?
One gets paid and the other one is a real coach!!!

LOL, just kidding!!

Purple Dog

Quote from: wynneaholic© My daughter can beat up your QB!! on February 16, 2006, 02:42:36 pm
Quote from: Curveball on February 16, 2006, 02:11:12 pm
I thought the teams you see in Fayetteville when others aren't are the teams with the pitchers. By the way what is the difference in a summer league coach and a high school coach?
One gets paid and the other one is a real coach!!!

LOL, just kidding!!

That's one of the best lines I've heard! I think I'll steal it and pretend that I came up with it! ;D

wynneaholic©

Curveball

Okay, thanks for clearing that up because, I thought a summer league coach is the guy who wanted to show off his daughter.

wynneaholic©

Quote from: Curveball on February 16, 2006, 04:58:50 pm
Okay, thanks for clearing that up because, I thought a summer league coach is the guy who wanted to show off his daughter.
I have definitely seen plenty of those, but there are still some coaches who do it for the pure love of softball.

Logchain20

I think at the midway point the 2006 Hitters vs. Pitchers is being won by the ones swinging the sticks.  In the games I have been to there have been a lot of home runs and line drives being hit.  I have seen very few 1-0 or 2-1 games.

momofcps

Quote from: SacBunt on February 16, 2006, 09:13:22 am
Dadof24 wrote:

"Defenses have learned the short game and that further opens the lanes for a stroke."

High school coaches, for the most part, just don't seem to understand *how* to play the short game. I've seen very few do it, and do it well. Taking away the bunt in those circumstances isn't rocket surgery. ;) Predictable batting takes as much away from the game as predictable pitching.

How many high school coaches effectively use the drag bunt? How many have numerous players, not just a couple, who can bat from either side? Train batters to be unpredictable to a point where even when they're showing bunt, you can't be sure they're not going to pull back and pop the ball over the infielders' heads? Or sacrifice, for that matter?

The number of coaches who teach those skills or are even willing to play the short game in a way that creates chaos and unpredictability are few. That's a shame. Frankly, the game is a lot more exciting played that way--at least to me.

Instead, all too often, you can depend on high school players always doing the same thing every time they're up to bat. Maybe it's because the player isn't versatile. Or maybe it's because the coach hasn't taught the skills, or doesn't know how to use them. Always using the same batters as slappers or bunters or long ball hitters makes the defense's job a bit easier. Take away that predictability, and you've got a *much* more interesting ballgame.

Just as a side note, since I'm avoiding work at the moment, I also find it frustrating to watch good games go down the tubes because coaches don't change their plan of attack by assessing the situation. They play the game the same way, every inning, every game.

The high school coaches who approach the game by embracing every single possibility, including the short game and changing how they play according to the situation, are the ones you will see coaching teams in Fayetteville after the rest have been eliminated.

If this is the year of the power hitter, it's only because coaches haven't explored all the options available for playing this game.
I havent seen alot of drag bunts and such lately in college ball. It appears to me that the hitting is getting better and the short game is used less and less .(my opinion only) And lets not lump all coaches in that uneducated/dedicated category please !

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas