• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stuttgart@Newport

Started by cuckoobird, October 05, 2015, 07:05:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cuckoobird

VP found out how to crank up the machine the past two games. I wonder if he can figure out how to put it in gear? Hounds and Birds have always played each other tough no matter who the favorite is. I see the same thing this year

phdefense

This is a big game for multiple reasons. First this is Newport's last year with us before they go down to the 3A. We do not need to let them get the last laugh like Marianna and Bald Knob did. Also this is the game where the wheels fell off the past two years. So it might be a big psychological hurdle for the Birds.

The Ref

Stuttgart is the better team but for some reason I feel like Newport pulls off the upset at home. Should be a great game.

bulldoghistorian

Big game for both teams. If Stuttgart wins, I would say they probably take control of the 2-4A. But if Newport wins, they both would be 2-1, with Newport holding the tiebreaker.

SUGARTOWN

Newport seems to have improved the past 2 weeks, but it's still hard to gauge their Lonoke game with all of the injuries they've had.

For the Ricebirds defense it's simple. Slow down Tuner and you have a great chance at a win. That's easier said than done though. Stuttgart has improved immensely since the first week especially on defense. They have 6 interceptions the past 2 weeks, the Sophomore safeties are playing great. With 4 TD's last week Darius Earvine now has 9 TD's in the 3 games since he returned from injury.

It's never easy for the Birds at Newport but I give them a slight edge here. It will be a good game, they always are against the Greyhounds.

cuckoobird

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 06, 2015, 10:46:39 am
Newport seems to have improved the past 2 weeks, but it's still hard to gauge their Lonoke game with all of the injuries they've had.

For the Ricebirds defense it's simple. Slow down Tuner and you have a great chance at a win. That's easier said than done though. Stuttgart has improved immensely since the first week especially on defense. They have 6 interceptions the past 2 weeks, the Sophomore safeties are playing great. With 4 TD's last week Darius Earvine now has 9 TD's in the 3 games since he returned from injury.

It's never easy for the Birds at Newport but I give them a slight edge here. It will be a good game, they always are against the Greyhounds.
I believe the game slowed down pretty quick for those young safeties. I'm looking forward to the rest of the year with more and more experience each week.

Oldhound56

I think the game will be close.  Newport has improved and looks to be getting back to form.  I do know that Lonoke had all their players back for the game and I also know Newport has had just as many injuries with two broken arms, a dislocated elbow, and a knee, and all of these were to starters.  Most will be back this week.  Good Luck and Go Hounds!

Lions84

Birds nip the Hounds this week .  If I was home I would make this game.

cuckoobird

SUGARTOWN

October 08, 2015, 07:38:33 pm #9 Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:41:29 pm by SUGARTOWN
New entry at Moseley Stadium:

WPWells

For the first time this season, my system is taking the Ricebirds. Finally corrected itself.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on October 08, 2015, 07:39:10 pm
For the first time this season, my system is taking the Ricebirds. Finally corrected itself.

If it didn't have the Birds over SS Batesville I'd suggest some tweaking to your formula...lol.

WPWells

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 08, 2015, 07:50:06 pm

If it didn't have the Birds over SS Batesville I'd suggest some tweaking to your formula...lol.

The close game against DeWitt hurt for a while

cuckoobird

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on October 08, 2015, 08:27:18 pm
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 08, 2015, 07:50:06 pm

The close game against DeWitt hurt for a while
So it won't pick dollarway to win for a couple games now?

WPWells

Likely not depending on the opponent

cuckoobird

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on October 09, 2015, 08:51:53 am
Likely not depending on the opponent
Well, SS is one of the worse teams in 4a so I'm still confused as to how it picked them over us. I bet you could count their wins against other 4a schools on one hand over the past 3 years

SUGARTOWN

Audio stream on www.country973.com or the Country 97.3 app...pre-game at 6:30, kickoff at 7:00.

phdefense

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 09, 2015, 12:38:05 pm
Audio stream on www.country973.com or the Country 97.3 app...pre-game at 6:30, kickoff at 7:00.
Coach's show at 5:30 right?

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: phdefense on October 09, 2015, 12:42:23 pm

The last 2 weeks they've played at it 5:00, so I would tune it then and check.

phdefense

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 09, 2015, 01:36:43 pm
Quote from: phdefense on October 09, 2015, 12:42:23 pm

The last 2 weeks they've played at it 5:00, so I would tune it then and check.
Thanks I wasn't sure.

phdefense

Heading out to Newport one last time. I look forward to seeing you all there.

cuckoobird

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 09, 2015, 07:36:33 pm
defense playing tough

Only 50 yards for Newport at half, 2 ints and 2 fumbles for the Greyhounds.

phdefense

The Birds need to finish.

BTW those Subway sandwiches looked good. ;)

cuckoobird

That's a nice way to send the hounds down to 3a, mercy me

Trojanbird

Finish they did.  These young birds are getting better each week.  See ya Newport.

phdefense

I am going to assume that Newport has never been mercy ruled at home and that is why the clock operator did not know what he was doing.

The_Pioneer

Poor Newport.  My sympathy for their plight is high.....

The Ref

So up 48-25 with 2mins left & the clock rolling on 1st down , Stuttgart puts in their 1st team to run a long TD vs Newports 2nd D?  You've already secured your 13 points needed for conference, I just can't wrap my head around that. 1 first down or even 4 kneels & the games over, just think if the RB would've injured himself stepping on one of those backups on defense, that would be hard to explain to the parents/ fans.

SUGARTOWN

October 10, 2015, 09:01:42 am #29 Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 09:38:00 am by SUGARTOWN
Quote from: The Ref on October 10, 2015, 08:47:36 am
So up 48-25 with 2mins left & the clock rolling on 1st down , Stuttgart puts in their 1st team to run a long TD vs Newports 2nd D?  You've already secured your 13 points needed for conference, I just can't wrap my head around that. 1 first down or even 4 kneels & the games over, just think if the RB would've injured himself stepping on one of those backups on defense, that would be hard to explain to the parents/ fans.

That's just it, the clock WASN'T rolling like it should have been, they were stopping it most of the 4th qtr.

Ricebirds were up by 35 with 3:30 left in the 3rd, and the clock ran as if it was a 1 point game. Finally it started running some in the 4th qtr, but there were still way to many stops. I've never seen anything like it. Combine that with the fact that Newport still had ALL of their starters in there and I don't blame Coach Perrin for putting a few starters back in for a couple of plays.

You say, "what if they get hurt?" Well, I say the same about Newport, what if one of their starters gets hurt late in a 30 point blowout? I feel sorry for the Greyhound subs, if they're not going to get to play late in a mercy rule game when are they going to play? Poor coaching IMO.

Jacketman65

I've seen Stuttgart do this many times in the past.  With the game firmly in hand, IMO it is just arrogance and stat padding as well as poor judgment by the coach himself.

The Ref

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 10, 2015, 09:01:42 am

That's just it, the clock WASN'T rolling like it should have been, they were stopping it most of the 4th qtr.

Ricebirds were up by 35 with 3:30 left in the 3rd, and the clock ran as if it was a 1 point game. Finally it started running some in the 4th qtr, but there were still way to many stops. I've never seen anything like it. Combine that with the fact that Newport still had ALL of their starters in there and I don't blame Coach Perrin for putting a few starters back in for a couple of plays.

You say, "what if they get hurt?" Well, I say the same about Newport, what if one of their starters gets hurt late in a 30 point blowout? I feel sorry for the Greyhound subs, if they're not going to get to play late in a mercy rule game when are they going to play?

You say, "what if they get hurt?" Well, I say the same about Newport, what if one of their starters gets hurt late in a 30 point blowout? I feel sorry for the Greyhound subs, if they're not going to get to play late in a mercy rule game when are they going to play? Poor coaching IMO.
Newport scored 2 TDs in the 4th qtr with their 2nd group. The clock was running after the last kickoff, realistically Stuttgart could've easily run the clock out. Either way, I would imagine people would've called for Perrin head if the stud RB would've gotten injured on that last possession. Risk/reward was not worth it. Stuttgart has a lot more to play for going forward.

phdefense

Quote from: The Ref on October 10, 2015, 01:32:31 pm

You say, "what if they get hurt?" Well, I say the same about Newport, what if one of their starters gets hurt late in a 30 point blowout? I feel sorry for the Greyhound subs, if they're not going to get to play late in a mercy rule game when are they going to play?

Newport scored 2 TDs in the 4th qtr with their 2nd group. The clock was running after the last kickoff, realistically Stuttgart could've easily run the clock out. Either way, I would imagine people would've called for Perrin head if the stud RB would've gotten injured on that last possession. Risk/reward was not worth it. Stuttgart has a lot more to play for going forward.
That wasn't their 2nd team. If Newport's clock operator does right this does not happen. They got busted by "The Ref" before half time as well.

SUGARTOWN

October 10, 2015, 02:39:05 pm #33 Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 02:59:05 pm by SUGARTOWN
The clock wasn't running after ANY kickoff, I promise you that. It was also stopped after change of possessions. Those TD's were scored by Friar (QB since 2nd qtr) and Neal...he'd been playing the whole game. Roddy and Crite were still playing as well.

The clock operation was just bizarre. I'm just thankful we don't have to go back there in the foreseeable future.

cuckoobird

Looks people are hatin on the machine we tried to warn them about

hawgfan15

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 10, 2015, 07:59:39 pm

Begging to be relevant again

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: hawgfan15 on October 10, 2015, 09:11:56 pm

Nah, we're just lucky to be fielding a team this year...

Jack1990

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on October 10, 2015, 09:15:04 pm
Quote from: hawgfan15 on October 10, 2015, 09:11:56 pm

Nah, we're just lucky to be fielding a team this year...

Ha!! I see what you did there!!

hawgfan15

In all seriousness, Stuttgart should be playing for a conference championship in week 10. That is a big improvement from 4 wins.

Infamous

Quote from: The Ref on October 05, 2015, 10:46:58 pm
Stuttgart is the better team but for some reason I feel like Newport pulls off the upset at home. Should be a great game.

LOL.

Infamous

Quote from: phdefense on October 09, 2015, 10:14:49 pm
I am going to assume that Newport has never been mercy ruled at home and that is why the clock operator did not know what he was doing.

For what it's worth, I believe Newport has a new clock operator this season.

phdefense

October 10, 2015, 11:41:45 pm #41 Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:28:45 am by phdefense
Quote from: Infamous on October 10, 2015, 11:30:46 pm
Quote from: phdefense on October 09, 2015, 10:14:49 pm

For what it's worth, I believe Newport has a new clock operator this season.
He knew what he was doing. I had a Bird's eye view of it before half time.

Lumberjackfan1978

looks like Stuttgart has really improved

cuckoobird

We were missing 4 starters when we played the jacks. You guys didn't know it because we don't make excuses

Lumberjackfan1978

Well we might play y'all again in the playoffs

cuckoobird

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on October 12, 2015, 08:19:19 am
Well we might play y'all again in the playoffs
I'm looking forward to it

Oldhound56

Newport played about as bad as they could possibly play.  Not taking anything away from Stuttgart, they are a very good team, but Newport had 5 turnovers and you won't beat anyone turning it over 5 times.  They also had about 5 or 6 bad snaps that turned into several drives starting 2nd and 15 or more.  Two of the interceptions were not forced and the third was just waiting too long to throw to a receiver that had been open all the way across the field.  Had a drive late in first half down inside the Stuttgart 15 and fumbled on 1st down.  Also gave up a punt return and fumbled the Kickoff right after the punt return.  About as bad as they could play.  Hopefully, they will turn it around this week vs. Heber.  Good luck to the rest of the teams in the conference.

SUGARTOWN

I'll agree with you, that's about as bad as I've ever seen a Newport team play.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas