• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State Football 2018-19

Started by Redwolves8526, August 27, 2018, 11:01:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwolves8526

Coming off a disappointing 2017 campaign, the Redwolves are looking to have a big year. With a few votes in the AP Preseason Top 25 (first time ever) and in Phil Steele's top 25, expectations are extremely high. With a schedule that features games at Alabama and Tulsa, a home game against UNLV, and most of the toughest conference opponents at home, there are plenty of opportunities for StAte to shine.  Justice Hanson is a 3rd year starter that is expected to be drafted and there are plenty of returning starters on both sides of the ball. I think we should dominate the Sun Belt, and maybe have a good non conference showing with the exception of Bama.

Renovations to the stadium are almost finished...with the waterfalls, new boxes, etc., this stadium should be a nice venue to visit. You should come check a game out if you have never been before.

PS., if any of you are trying to come to Jonesboro and watch a game this year, shoot me a pm, and I will be more than happy to invite you to our tailgate.

I'm excited to see what is in store this season as there are some intriguing games on the schedule! Thoughts?

Redwolves8526

A-State takes care of SEMO 48-21. Justice Hanson with 6 TD passes and 1 running TD. Sloppy first half, very dominant 2nd half.

Up next? #1 Alabama...Saturday at 2:30pm on ESPN2

OB11

The first half of the SEMO game looked like the same old same old. Stupid penalties and a big play or two given up on defense. Glad we picked it up the second half.

I think our offense has the potential to be prolific this season. The defense has potential to be good...just need to get the new guys in the system some time. Should be a really good year. I'm not really looking forward to playing Bama though.  :-\

Lumberjackfan1978

State has big game this week I hope they can pull the upset

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on September 04, 2018, 10:33:20 pm
State has big game this week I hope they can pull the upset

It is difficult to watch this game.  ASU looks terrible and already losing their composure and getting trash penalties.

AirWarren

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on September 08, 2018, 03:52:11 pm
It is difficult to watch this game.  ASU looks terrible and already losing their composure and getting trash penalties.

Wouldn't last one season in the SEC.

Hogman2018

Arkansas State you better stay in that tough league yall are in the Sun Belt!

HorseFeathers

And Arkansas probably won't play Bama any better.... Still gotta smack talk little brother though 🤷

AirWarren

Quote from: HorseFeathers on September 09, 2018, 08:28:37 pm
And Arkansas probably won't play Bama any better.... Still gotta smack talk little brother though 🤷

Arkansas should be relegated to playing UAM ETC.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: AirWarren on September 08, 2018, 06:25:33 pm
Wouldn't last one season in the SEC.

Doesn't look like U of A is going to either.

OB11

Like I said before, I wish we didn't have Bama on the schedule. I do think we will win the Sun Belt. All you can do is try to win your conference. Not much else you can do outside of that. I would like to see us beat Tulsa and UNLV though. ASU as a program has little to no out of conference success. Need to start beating people outside of our conference on a regular basis.

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on September 10, 2018, 07:53:06 am
Arkansas should be relegated to playing UAM ETC.

I may be the only one that gets this joke.... I honestly wish we played in the Big 12. I can't believe I am saying that.

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on September 10, 2018, 10:59:05 am
I may be the only one that gets this joke.... I honestly wish we played in the Big 12. I can't believe I am saying that.

Makes more sense geography wise and competition wise.

OB11

Quote from: AirWarren on September 10, 2018, 11:28:56 am
Makes more sense geography wise and competition wise.

Definitely made a lot of sense before the addition of Texas A&M.

I would personally like to see A-State get out of the SunBelt but have to start beating OOC opponents for that to be a possibility.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: OB11 on September 10, 2018, 12:29:50 pm
Definitely made a lot of sense before the addition of Texas A&M.

I would personally like to see A-State get out of the SunBelt but have to start beating OOC opponents for that to be a possibility.

Exactly.

We have no excuse not to beat Tulsa this weekend. If we want to be respected as one of the best G-5 programs, road wins against G-5 and non ranked Power 5 teams is a must

HorseFeathers

AW, wouldn't Arkansas be relegated to the Sunbelt or Southland first before dropping you d2? Lol

Redwolves8526

Good win for A-State over Tulsa tonight! Final 29-20. Finally a decent road win over a non-conference opponent

Redwolves8526

Another solid win for A-State over UNLV! The weather was absolutely terrible, as it was a torrential downpour the entire game. The Red Wolves came out on top 27-20, starting 3-1 for the first time in a long time. Next up, Georgia Southern next Saturday at 5pm on ESPN+. We will see if the Red Wolves can keep it going in their conference opener.

OB11

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on September 24, 2018, 10:48:45 am
Another solid win for A-State over UNLV! The weather was absolutely terrible, as it was a torrential downpour the entire game. The Red Wolves came out on top 27-20, starting 3-1 for the first time in a long time. Next up, Georgia Southern next Saturday at 5pm on ESPN+. We will see if the Red Wolves can keep it going in their conference opener.

Take away the rain on Saturday and I think we handle UNLV a lot easier than we did. Not good conditions for our offense to run effectively. I'm really surprised there were not more fumbles.

I just hope we don't have a let down game at some point during conference play.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: OB11 on September 24, 2018, 10:55:26 am
Take away the rain on Saturday and I think we handle UNLV a lot easier than we did. Not good conditions for our offense to run effectively. I'm really surprised there were not more fumbles.

I just hope we don't have a let down game at some point during conference play.

That's what I was thinking. Hansen still threw 3 TD passes in that mess. I think it would've been a 2 or 3 score game in good weather. I was still impressed with how well we've ran the ball up to this point as well.

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

From what little I've seen of them, it seems that their receiving core is probably the best in the Sun Belt and that Murray kid looks like a star in the making... Hansen seems more accurate this year and the defense hasn't gone down as much as expected. 11-1 is very possible as long as they don't have one of their hiccups

Redwolves8526

Quote from: PokeyRedskinStudentScout on September 25, 2018, 09:32:03 am
From what little I've seen of them, it seems that their receiving core is probably the best in the Sun Belt and that Murray kid looks like a star in the making... Hansen seems more accurate this year and the defense hasn't gone down as much as expected. 11-1 is very possible as long as they don't have one of their hiccups

I'm stoked about Murray over the next couple of years. He can go

OB11

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on September 26, 2018, 09:11:23 am
I'm stoked about Murray over the next couple of years. He can go

Very excited about having him the next few years. He is the mix of size and speed that we have not had in the backfield. Gives our offense another dimension. Everyone knows we are going to throw it all over the place...but now we have a back that can carry it too. Don't get me wrong, I think Wand and Weh-Weh are both great. They are just both undersized IMO.

dirtybird12

As a former player at ASU, it is incredibly disappointing to see the talent this staff has gathered, yet be unable to produce results. The coaching staff can not get out of its own way. TERRIBLE.

OB11

Quote from: dirtybird12 on October 10, 2018, 08:19:57 am
As a former player at ASU, it is incredibly disappointing to see the talent this staff has gathered, yet be unable to produce results. The coaching staff can not get out of its own way. TERRIBLE.

It is mind boggling that with the roster we have, we can't put the ball in the end zone. When is the last time ASU didn't score a TD in a game?

Redwolves8526

Quote from: OB11 on October 10, 2018, 08:53:24 am
It is mind boggling that with the roster we have, we can't put the ball in the end zone. When is the last time ASU didn't score a TD in a game?

That was absolutely awful. As a former player myself, I couldn't be more disgusted. This team has more talent than any team I have seen at ASU, yet we cannot produce. What in the world is going on? How can we look decent against Tulsa and UNLV but look so lethargic against our first two Sun Belt opponents? Anderson has some great recruiters on his staff (Trooper Taylor, specifically), but the dumb penalties, questionable play calling, predictability, and crappy team discipline is getting old. It is almost like Anderson cannot handle expectations.

I'd almost welcome Hugh Freeze back on a tight leash.

OB11

I hate second guessing coaches and coaching decisions, but some of the play calls last night were head scratchers. And our best back (Murray) is getting limited touches.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: OB11 on October 10, 2018, 09:36:00 am
I hate second guessing coaches and coaching decisions, but some of the play calls last night were head scratchers. And our best back (Murray) is getting limited touches.

I don't like second guessing coaches either. I know how that goes. But towards the end of the 1st half, the trips side runs a screen, and the backside WR runs a post right into two safeties along with the corner that was man on him. We could've come away with points before the half, but instead we threw a pick. That's the best we can come up with? It seems like dumb decisions like that have haunted the Anderson era.

Trojanbird

From what I have observed over the past few years is that Anderson is about Anderson!  That is it in a nutshell!  He blew his chance at using ASU as a stepping stone because now his true abilities/colors are showing!

dirtybird12

Quote from: Trojanbird on October 10, 2018, 11:59:26 pm
From what I have observed over the past few years is that Anderson is about Anderson!  That is it in a nutshell!  He blew his chance at using ASU as a stepping stone because now his true abilities/colors are showing!

Could not agree more. Was ready to jump ship for Baylor two years ago. The man seems to be lacking a bit in character. Has a very good defensive staff, notably Trooper and defensive line coach Brian Early. Offense has been horrid since losing Walt Bell. This team should be scoring 30+ a game with the roster. All primary receivers are 6'3 or taller and we are throwing them bubble screens. Great coaches adjust their philosophies to the skills of players.

Redwolves8526

ASU beats Georgia State last night 51-35. They took a 27 point lead into halftime, but defense let a few big plays get the better of them in the 2nd half. Offense definitely looked better, just wish we wouldn't have waited until we were on a 2 game losing streak to make some changes. Here is to hoping we win out.

dirtybird12

Stings to see another Sun Belt team in APP State ranked..

dirtybird12

Do not see how this staff survives without winning out.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: dirtybird12 on October 28, 2018, 08:51:19 pm
Do not see how this staff survives without winning out.

It is frustrating to watch. ULM couldn't stop us because they couldn't keep up with our speed. Their secondary was outmatched big time. We couldn't stop them because of stupid penalties, missed tackles, blown coverages, etc. I couldn't be more disappointed in this season.

dirtybird12

Seems like the ship has been righted. Still a sour taste in my mouth.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: dirtybird12 on November 18, 2018, 10:09:38 am
Seems like the ship has been righted. Still a sour taste in my mouth.

8-4 season. I can't complain too much. But it did feel like we were very inconsistent and underachieved with the talent we had on the field.

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

Arizona Bowl it is. Get a good matchup getting to play a Mountain West team

Maynard G Krebs

Game a  little boring to watch.  ASU kicker struggles and lots of injuries on both teams.

beach bum

Got back from New Mexico yesterday and noticed a lot of A State fans that were stopped at the hotel traveling out to Arizona while I was there..... Pretty nice place to be this time of year out in Arizona. Hope A State can pull this one out.

Maynard G Krebs

In late 3rd.  ASU fails to score for the 3rd time inside the 10.  Wow

Maynard G Krebs

Maynard G Krebs

Trojanbird

What the howl happened?
Lot's of questionable play calls!  Imo!

dirtybird12

I was off the fire Anderson train for their performance the last month of the season. Yet this bowl performance renewed it for me.

I saw a team that was three touchdowns better than Nevada give them the game. You knew Nevadas offense would break through. Unbelievable how an offensive minded coach is so anemic and boneheaded inside the 20.

8-5 is sickening with the talent we had.

OB11

That was one of the most frustrating games I have ever watched. 3 or 4 trips inside the 10 with NO points to show for it. That is just sad. I am not one to call for a coach's job ever. But 7-6/8-5 is the current staffs ceiling. We finally got over the non-conference hump and won some of those games this year then wet the bed in conference.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: OB11 on January 02, 2019, 10:34:39 am
That was one of the most frustrating games I have ever watched. 3 or 4 trips inside the 10 with NO points to show for it. That is just sad. I am not one to call for a coach's job ever. But 7-6/8-5 is the current staffs ceiling. We finally got over the non-conference hump and won some of those games this year then wet the bed in conference.

Anderson fired 3 offensive coaches. The OC, O-Line Coach, and Receivers coach. Good move for him in my opinion. Getting Coach Heck from UNC might save him. In his presser yesterday, he said he will no longer be involved in calling the plays on offense.

OB11

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on January 10, 2019, 09:18:35 am
Anderson fired 3 offensive coaches. The OC, O-Line Coach, and Receivers coach. Good move for him in my opinion. Getting Coach Heck from UNC might save him. In his presser yesterday, he said he will no longer be involved in calling the plays on offense.

Hiring Heck from UNC was big. I hate to see those guys lose their job, but something had to give.

boogercat

Lot of changes at A-State, with Ty Story seeking a transfer. Will A-State try to go after him?

Redwolves8526

Quote from: boogercat on January 10, 2019, 12:58:20 pm
Lot of changes at A-State, with Ty Story seeking a transfer. Will A-State try to go after him?

I doubt it. Everyone on campus seems to think that Bonner is the next guy. If you have ever been to a spring game or watched any open practices, it's evident he has a lot of arm talent. Probably has more zip on the ball than Hansen does and can make the first team D look silly at times.

I could be wrong and we could get a grad transfer. Remember Ross Trail? He is also on the squad after sitting out a year coming from Cincinatti, but I have no idea what he looks like now.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on January 10, 2019, 09:18:35 am
probably a good move by Anderson.Time will  tell

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas