• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas/LSU game

Started by Romeo, February 17, 2012, 10:38:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Baitshop

Playing LSU in Fayetteville is what is best for the Razorback football program....

A chance to have a nationally televised game on campus so that we can host recruits is reason enough to move the game to RRS....

The facts are that this will not be the only disappointment that the Central/South Arkansas fans will be exposed to over the next few years....for them, it will get worse instead of better....

Ain't saying that it is right or wrong....but it is the facts...

Brian G

I guess we could leave a mint on their pillow to ease the pain.

AirWarren

Who is "we"? We are one program and the last time I checked we root for the same team.

While I enjoy the WMS games and hate to see them go, I'll do what I have to do to keep supporting them. So, Fayetteville here I come!

pantherblue

Amen AW and for those who have never been to a game on the Hill you are in for a treat. 

zebradynasty

I am not messed up about moving the LSU game...I understand the rational and the Ole Miss game will be a pretty good substitute now that Nutt is no longer there. It's the spoiled rich brat attitude of, "We don't owe them crap" is what I am sideways about!

pantherblue

15 years from now people will be saying "when Arkansas used to play at WMS"....  LOL

mack

Quote from: AW on February 23, 2012, 12:52:20 am
Who is "we"? We are one program and the last time I checked we root for the same team.

While I enjoy the WMS games and hate to see them go, I'll do what I have to do to keep supporting them. So, Fayetteville here I come!

What you are experiencing is the typical NWA superiority complex.  They aren't really bad guys, they just can't help themselves.  In their minds, they are better Razorback fans since they live up there.  We'll just have to buck up and spend a little more to see the all the games up there soon.  The tradition of playing in Litlle Rock means nothing [arguably justified] to them.  Although baitshop should understand TRADITION [  ;D ] more than most.

mack

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 22, 2012, 03:41:18 pm
This kinda reminds me of the first and last time I raised my voice to my mother! She said, "Boy I wiped your butt when you didn't know what I was wiping! Don't you ever..... When Fayettville was nothing more than a hick town on the other side of nowhere Central and Southern Arkansas was there supporting the University. Risking life and limb going on a very dangerous highway to support the Razorbacks. The support was unconditional even to the detriment of other schools in the University system! Like UALR agreeing not to have football so as not to compete with the UA. The rest of the state also got behind and supported spending ALL that tax money to build the most expensive interstate in Arkansas history. Most of the best players that Arkansas produced came from the Central and Southern Arkansas and all were encouraged to go to the UA. I am not sure if there is another big school that is doing what UA is doing splitting home games but I am pretty sure no state as a whole has supported one college like the state of Arkansas has.

So now you got a little money...think you grown now! I wish the rest of the state could do NWA like my mother did me when I raised my voice and slap the L out of ya!

One of the best posts I've ever read on here.

If not for Walmart, they would still  be a sleepy little college hamlet with a bunch of hippies running around with bumper stickers saying " let's keep Fayetteville funky".   Oh wait, they still have those. 

Not sayin' that's all bad though.....  hippies are better than gangsters.

Brian G

C_A_Morris

Allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment...even though I'm not really advocating one way or the other.

Let's say a consortium forms to renovate War Memorial to 65,000 or 70,000 seats. A big doner comes along, a bond is issued, and private donations are raised. Fix whatever needs to be fixed, make upgrades, and turn the stadium into a first-class deal—with the idea of continuing to host Razorback games, getting a bowl game, hosting concerts, etc.

I ask because it seems as though there are two trains of thought in the people who want all games played in Fayetteville. One side wants it up there just because, and the other because War Memorial is seen as a second-class stadium.

Ceteris paribus, if you had another Reynolds Razorback Stadium in Little Rock, what would your opinion be on continuing to split games between the two sites?

AirWarren

Quote from: C_A_Morris on February 24, 2012, 01:00:37 am
Allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment...even though I'm not really advocating one way or the other.

Let's say a consortium forms to renovate War Memorial to 65,000 or 70,000 seats. A big doner comes along, a bond is issued, and private donations are raised. Fix whatever needs to be fixed, make upgrades, and turn the stadium into a first-class deal—with the idea of continuing to host Razorback games, getting a bowl game, hosting concerts, etc.

I ask because it seems as though there are two trains of thought in the people who want all games played in Fayetteville. One side wants it up there just because, and the other because War Memorial is seen as a second-class stadium.Ceteris paribus, if you had another Reynolds Razorback Stadium in Little Rock, what would your opinion be on continuing to split games between the two sites?
Excellent point. RRS is a beautiful stadium but if their were upgrades to WMS it wouldn't matter. The people up north can't take the NWA shades off for that long.

mack

Quote from: AW on February 24, 2012, 03:19:29 am

I ask because it seems as though there are two trains of thought in the people who want all games played in Fayetteville. One side wants it up there just because, and the other because War Memorial is seen as a second-class stadium.Ceteris paribus, if you had another Reynolds Razorback Stadium in Little Rock, what would your opinion be on continuing to split games between the two sites?
Excellent point. RRS is a beautiful stadium but if their were upgrades to WMS it wouldn't matter. The people up north can't take the NWA shades off for that long.

Yeah, they're up there cackling like a bunch of hens, overjoyed that the direction has changed.  It would make no difference if WMS was upgraded. 

When they take all the games up to RRS, maybe the political pressure on the legislature will finally force the UA to play ASU,,, and do it in WMS.  That would be a heckuva comeuppance.  Trade one tradition for another.

Coach Venny Slocombe

As I posted earlier if they make the upgrades then I am all for it...

Peety

ASU has a great chance to expand their fan base in the next couple of years. Especially if they get a big time opponent in WMS like they say they are in 2013 and beat them

phdefense

February 24, 2012, 10:53:41 am #64 Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:05:08 am by phdefense
Just don't start crying when UAF starts losing future McFaddens. Just because there will not be an immediate impact does not mean that there will not be one. While there has been a strong case being made for the short term improvement on recruiting. I am not convinced that it will help in the long run. Fan bases can become disenfranchised even the Razorbacks.

mack

Quote from: Peety on February 24, 2012, 10:52:43 am
ASU has a great chance to expand their fan base in the next couple of years. Especially if they get a big time opponent in WMS like they say they are in 2013 and beat them

I'd buy a WMS ticket for ASU vs. OK State, Michigan, Auburn etc. , in a heartbeat.

pantherblue

Move all Hogs games to the Hill.  Especially conference games.  Don't care about OOC games. With no team but Catholuc High anyone would be nuts to throw money at WMS.  Even with 2 hog games a year it's still nuts.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: pantherblue on February 24, 2012, 02:25:55 pm
Move all Hogs games to the Hill.  Especially conference games.  Don't care about OOC games. With no team but Catholuc High anyone would be nuts to throw money at WMS.  Even with 2 hog games a year it's still nuts.
I disagree...I think that facility if re-built right could be a great place to watch football once again...but if they don't upgrade it, then they need to not only move all razorback games to Fayetteville, but all the state championship games as well...

pantherblue

But putting money in to upgrade it means what?  Sure it would be great to watch games there but who's going to play there? Is it worth investing millions for 2 hogs games that would be sell outs, 1 UAPB game that doesn't even half fill it up and 5 Catholuc High games that bring in 2000 at most??  How long would it take to get that investment back?? 

zebradynasty

Well it depends upon WHO plays at WM a  UAPB vs UCA 40,000+ ASU vs UCA 40,000 plus it would take some doing but scheduling the right opponents would help WM pay for some upgrades the rest in private donations. I can see ASU trying to work something out in order to expand their fan base.

Big Fan

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 24, 2012, 08:07:18 pm
Well it depends upon WHO plays at WM a  UAPB vs UCA 40,000+ ASU vs UCA 40,000 plus it would take some doing but scheduling the right opponents would help WM pay for some upgrades the rest in private donations. I can see ASU trying to work something out in order to expand their fan base.
With very poor home attendance, ASU needs to expand their fan base.  WM could provide that opportunity.  I'm a Hog fan and always will be, but I would go th LR to watch the Red Wolves play....it might even become habit forming.

Smithian

Again;

I thought Little Rock fans were the super fans.

I thought they'd sell out the game whoever the opponent was?

Smithian

I ask because it seems as though there are two trains of thought in the people who want all games played in Fayetteville. One side wants it up there just because, and the other because War Memorial is seen as a second-class stadium.

Ceteris paribus, if you had another Reynolds Razorback Stadium in Little Rock, what would your opinion be on continuing to split games between the two sites?
I'd want to play all games at whichever stadium was on campus. If LR would accept compromise I'd like to play one non-conference game a year at WMS assuming they waived the rental fee and gave all funds from concessions and other profit raising measures to the Razorbacks.

Baitshop

The fact that WMS is substandard to RRS is secondary to me.....the primary issue for me is that we cannot host recruits anywhere else but on our campus....that puts the Razorback football program at a distinct disadvantage to the Bama's and LSU's of the world....we have too many other issues beyond our control in recruiting against the big boys....this one we can control and should....

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 24, 2012, 08:07:18 pm

ZD, my friend, I don't know what you fella's are smoking down there in LA, but there is no way in hades that a UAPB vs. UCA or a ASU vs. UCA game in Little Rock will draw 40,000....

Now if Southside was playing any of those guys in WMS.....the sky's the limit.....

zebradynasty

Quote from: Smithian on February 24, 2012, 09:03:54 pm
Again;

Oooo K I didn't know that was an issue?

zebradynasty

Quote from: Baitshop on February 24, 2012, 10:25:32 pm

ZD, my friend, I don't know what you fella's are smoking down there in LA, but there is no way in hades that a UAPB vs. UCA or a ASU vs. UCA game in Little Rock will draw 40,000....

Now if Southside was playing any of those guys in WMS.....the sky's the limit.....

Bait I-40 does head east you should try it sometimes so you can see everything doesn't revolve around NWA! UCA and UAPB have already played in WMS in years past and the crowds were well over 30,000! Heck the crowds are over 30,000 when UAPB plays Grambling at WMS every year. Nearly 40,000 people watched UAPB play last year in St. Louis. UAPB has been kinda stuck in mediocre lately but trust me a UAPB vs UCA would draw 40,000 easy!

Smithian

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 25, 2012, 12:42:13 am
Again;

If the fans don't care who opponent is and unconditionally love the Razorbacks, why would this at all bother them?

zebradynasty

Well I don't think central and southern Arkansas needs to prove their support nor should our support be tested. Losing the LSU game hurts because of the support given to the Razorbacks when they played them here. An atmosphere toward an opponent that has yet to be match on the Hill no big named opponent is afraid to play up there or if they are the get over it pretty fast. Been awhile since we defeated a team of LSU's caliber up there! WMS might only hold 50K or so but there would be thousands outside the stadium. Ole Miss isn't that bad of substitute I just don't want to be were all we get is couple of non competitive games every year. If it comes to that then I say just move them all to hill.

pantherblue

You guys keep bringing up 40,000.  Why would they expand WMS if 40k is going to be the norm big fan size. 

Hoghead

Quote from: Mulerider on February 20, 2012, 09:02:49 pm
Seems pretty insane that the Hogs would play in LR anyway.  I can't imagine LSU being forced to play 2 or 3 games a year in the Indy Bowl in Shreveport or Alabama being forced to play a game or two in Mobile in the Go Daddy Bowl. 

All of this to keep fans in the south from having to drive to far?  Really?  Arkansas says they are a big time program now, well act like it and play in the big boy stadium on the campus!  No rational person can justify playing in Little Rock over Reynolds.
At one time, Ole Miss played home games in Jackson, Oxford and Memphis. They used to play the Hogs in old Crump Stadium in Memphis. In 95 they played a regular SEC game with the Hogs in the Liberty Bowl at Memphis.

Alabama once played on a home game rotation in Birmingham, Montgomery & Mobile at you guessed it, Ladd (Go Daddy Bowl) Stadium.

LSU and Arkansas have met in Shreveport in regular season match ups. The Hogs also played SWC games with SMU....IN SHREVEPORT !

But thats all in the past. Little Rock has helped the Hogs, and the Hogs have helped Little Rock. All good things unfortunatly come to a end. Frank Broyles always thought a game with ASU would split the fan base. Looks like no games in Little Rock will do it. The ASU folks will come into Little Rock and play games if the Hogs leave. The State will split some fans and the Fayetteville folks will care less !

The LSU game in Fayetteville will help us overall in the SEC though. Far less LSU folks will want to make that run up to the Ozarks. Little Rock is just a 200 + mile trip from anywhere in north Louisiana. So you'll cut off a lot of LSU fans with the move.
It's been a great time calling the Hogs in Little Rock. But 5 dollar a gallon gas can't keep me out of Fayetteville !! Go Hogs !!!!

mack

Quote from: Smithian on February 25, 2012, 10:02:29 am
Again;

If the fans don't care who opponent is and unconditionally love the Razorbacks, why would this at all bother them?

Get off your high horse stallion.  I doubt the bluebloods will fill up RRS when La Southern Tech Normal rolls into Fayetteville to play.

fastdrop

It does not matter to me where the Hogs play --- I take my money to the deer woods and the lake.... if the Hogs are on the tube I might catch up on them while I am channel surfing looking for fishing with Bill Dance.

Heck if the Hogs are good I can catch the best plays on espn high lights.... it takes a rare bird that wants to fight a bunch of drunken idiots for a little seat to watch a football game when you can enjoy your big boi lazy boy and turn the channel when things are not going your way.

Hoghead

Quote from: mack on February 27, 2012, 11:29:04 am
Again;

Get off your high horse stallion.  I doubt the bluebloods will fill up RRS when La Southern Tech Normal rolls into Fayetteville to play.
They don't fill up RRS for SEMO, Tennessee Tech or UTEP. Wasn't it former Hog Qb Bill Montgomery who called Fayetteville a "OUTPOST" ? Yea he did. The South & Central Arkansas folks will still come up and support the Hogs. But this new birth of ASU with WMS becoming open will split the State. It won't be odd in the future to have ASU fans in Stuttgart, Forrest City, Sheridan and Lake Village.

Smithian

All this "splitting the state" stuff is fun to discuss and seems reasonable until football season comes around and Arkansas State is trading slaps with Mid Tenn State infront of 25,000 people as Arkansas is in the national championship hunt trading body blows with SEC powers infront of massive 70-80,000 person crowds with millions more watching on ESPN stations.

Hoghead

I sure hope this Hog bunch can be in the National Championship hunt. BUT...... until we can win BIG TIME games we'll just be hunting and not holding the trophy. We had all the chances in the world the last two years and fell flat on our faces. LOST IN FAYETTEVILLE to BAMA in 2010 ! We had the LSU game this year set on a platter for us in the # 3 spot. All we had to do is win and we're in the BCS Championship game. Lost to a Jordan Jefferson led LSU team !

mack

Quote from: Hoghead on February 27, 2012, 11:55:11 pm
Quote from: mack on February 27, 2012, 11:29:04 am
Again;

They don't fill up RRS for SEMO, Tennessee Tech or UTEP. Wasn't it former Hog Qb Bill Montgomery who called Fayetteville a "OUTPOST" ? Yea he did. The South & Central Arkansas folks will still come up and support the Hogs. But this new birth of ASU with WMS becoming open will split the State. It won't be odd in the future to have ASU fans in Stuttgart, Forrest City, Sheridan and Lake Village.

My point exactly Hogs.  RRS does not overflow for those types of games either.  And it's true that real fans that can afford it will take the trek up the hill.

You also bring up a good point about the possibility of an ASU 'emergence'.  I'd like to see it.  I am and have always been a UA fan.  I sent one daughter there and have had season tickets for a long time.  Still, one of the biggest reasons I am a fan is that the UA is a successful Arkansas institution.  I think there is room for another one.  ASU could be our Boise state.  Would it not be mind blowing to see ASU vs. UA in a BCS bowl 10 years from now?

Brian G

Quote from: mack on February 28, 2012, 09:40:10 am
Would it not be mind blowing to see ASU vs. UA in a BCS bowl 10 years from now?

Don't hold your breath.  ASU has over reached.  Bigtime.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Folks...ASU will never be big time until they get in a different conference...end of story...

mack

Quote from: B.G. on February 28, 2012, 11:07:20 am

You may be right.  Still, who ever thought ten years ago Boise State would beat Georgia, Oklahoma and other big time programs?  I'm not sure Boise, Idaho is any more a draw to an athlete than Jonesboro, Arkansas.   Most Southern athletes would not want to deal with the cold up there, so Gus could have some success recruiting.

My biggest concern would be him leaving after a couple of successful seasons for an elite program.  If he has mad success, I can't see ASU coming up with the $ to keep him.

I'm saving this post and circling my Jan. 2022 for that UA/ASU matchup.  But I think I'll keep breathing,,,,,,

Hoghead

February 28, 2012, 04:36:54 pm #89 Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:41:39 pm by Hoghead
Quote from: B.G. on February 28, 2012, 11:07:20 am

Why not, we're on year 20 of holding our breath on the Hogs to win a SEC Title in football ?
1989 was the last time the UA has won a outright conference championship and we're still here.

Hoghead

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on February 28, 2012, 11:58:04 am
Folks...ASU will never be big time until they get in a different conference...end of story...
I agree. Maybe they can make a joint move with Memphis to the Big East !!!!!

fastdrop

Hoghead and Mack are keeping it real ...... I love it

Good old baitshop has forgotten his roots ....... come home bait  come home. The door is always open.

Peety

Quote from: Smithian on February 28, 2012, 12:47:03 am
All this "splitting the state" stuff is fun to discuss and seems reasonable until football season comes around and Arkansas State is trading slaps with Mid Tenn State infront of 25,000 people as Arkansas is in the national championship hunt trading body blows with SEC powers infront of massive 70-80,000 person crowds with millions more watching on ESPN stations.

And most of the time they get embarrassed.

38-14?
41-17?

Baitshop

Quote from: Peety on February 28, 2012, 09:04:19 pm
Quote from: Smithian on February 28, 2012, 12:47:03 am

And most of the time they get embarrassed.

38-14?
41-17?

...so you can just imagine how bad the scores would be if ASU played a big boy schedule...

TheHogHead

Don't be shocked if ASU gains tons of credibility, and tons of Central Arkansas' fanbase when they join the Big 12 and agree to play 2 games at WMS in the next couple of years.  Laugh now, but refer back to this post when it comes to be.

Baitshop

Quote from: TheHogHead on February 28, 2012, 11:00:26 pm
Don't be shocked if ASU gains tons of credibility, and tons of Central Arkansas' fanbase when they join the Big 12 and agree to play 2 games at WMS in the next couple of years.  Laugh now, but refer back to this post when it comes to be.

TheHogHead.....write my name down....the day that ASU is asked to join the Big12 I will come and pick you up on your front doorstep and drive you to Amarillo Texas and buy you the biggest steak in the country....

TheHogHead

We can stay right here in God's country and have a steak at the Back Porch Grill on Lake Hamilton.

Hoghead

Quote from: TheHogHead on February 28, 2012, 11:17:35 pm
We can stay right here in God's country and have a steak at the Back Porch Grill on Lake Hamilton.
Hmmmm.......

Uncle Ivan

This kinda reminds me of the first and last time I raised my voice to my mother! She said, "Boy I wiped your butt when you didn't know what I was wiping! Don't you ever..... When Fayettville was nothing more than a hick town on the other side of nowhere Central and Southern Arkansas was there supporting the University. Risking life and limb going on a very dangerous highway to support the Razorbacks. The support was unconditional even to the detriment of other schools in the University system! Like UALR agreeing not to have football so as not to compete with the UA. The rest of the state also got behind and supported spending ALL that tax money to build the most expensive interstate in Arkansas history. Most of the best players that Arkansas produced came from the Central and Southern Arkansas and all were encouraged to go to the UA. I am not sure if there is another big school that is doing what UA is doing splitting home games but I am pretty sure no state as a whole has supported one college like the state of Arkansas has.

So now you got a little money...think you grown now! I wish the rest of the state could do NWA like my mother did me when I raised my voice and slap the L out of ya!

Absolutely.  And, the chances of winning the LSU game just went down dramatically.

Also, Rutgers?  Seriously?  Can't say I saw that one coming.

mack

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on February 29, 2012, 09:58:25 am

Absolutely.  And, the chances of winning the LSU game just went down dramatically.

Also, Rutgers?  Seriously?  Can't say I saw that one coming.

All true.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas