• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas/LSU game

Started by Romeo, February 17, 2012, 10:38:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Baitshop

BronxBomber

Breitontime

Can someone pass me a nice frosty mug of Haterade?

Uncle Ivan

March 01, 2012, 08:52:39 am #103 Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:54:46 am by Uncle Ivan
Gonna be conflicting among the convenience crowd when LSU starts collecting wins in Fayetteville, something that flat out wasn't going to happen in Little Rock.

But hey, you people get that big game closer to where you live up in our northwest corner, and that's the core of what really matters.  Nevermind that it's detrimental to the program in the long run.  Using logic and taking the long view never was a priority with that crowd.

Nonetheless, fire Jeff Long.  Today, preferably.

Coach Venny Slocombe

So Arkansas has a better chance of beating LSU in Little Rock than in Fayetteville? Really? ::)

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 01, 2012, 08:52:39 am
Gonna be conflicting among the convenience crowd when LSU starts collecting wins in Fayetteville, something that flat out wasn't going to happen in Little Rock.

But hey, you people get that big game closer to where you live up in our northwest corner, and that's the core of what really matters.  Nevermind that it's detrimental to the program in the long run.  Using logic and taking the long view never was a priority with that crowd.

What has Jeff long done...other than hire Bobby Petrino...Mike Anderson and lay the foundation for bigger and better athletic complexes in Fayetteville. Would you rather have Frank and Houston back?

zebradynasty

I think winning percentage wise LR vs. Fay are about the same. I think LR has a better record against ranked opponents but that's my observation.

sevenof400

Quote from: Breitontime on February 29, 2012, 12:58:32 pm
Can someone pass me a nice frosty mug of Haterade?

Make sure it comes with a cold, hard shot of reality.....

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: zebradynasty on March 01, 2012, 09:51:44 am
I think winning percentage wise LR vs. Fay are about the same. I think LR has a better record against ranked opponents but that's my observation.
Probably so. So let's say the LR folks are willing to drive to a bigger stadium and fill it to capacity then I see no problem. They should make it louder! Nobody can say that a bigger and nicer stadium is not better. It's all about if you really want to watch the Hogs and are dedicated...

zebradynasty

The question is Quality vs. Quantity! Fayettville has yet demonstrated that it is a definite home field advantage.

RD™

Quote from: zebradynasty on March 01, 2012, 12:03:35 pm
The question is Quality vs. Quantity! Fayettville has yet demonstrated that it is a definite home field advantage.
Alabama 2010 and I'll sit down and listen.

olddog79

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 01, 2012, 08:52:39 am

You are ridiculous.

mack

The crowds at WMS are more vocal. The atmosphere more electric for big games.

pantherblue

Sure was fun watching the Hogs play Venny and the Canes at WMS.  That home field advantage really showed up.   LOL

Baitshop

Quote from: mack on March 01, 2012, 02:58:35 pm

The crowds at WMS are more vocal. The atmosphere more electric for big games.

Beer is cheaper in Little Rock.....

Hoghead

March 02, 2012, 02:13:48 am #115 Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:24:32 am by Hoghead
Quote from: pantherblue on March 01, 2012, 07:43:41 pm
Sure was fun watching the Hogs play Venny and the Canes at WMS.  That home field advantage really showed up.   LOL
That 50 to 14 USC Hog Killing in Fayetteville in 2006 must've been nice for you PB.
How about losing to Ole Miss in 2009 30 -17 in Fayetteville ???? I love the stadium up there. But it's not a intimidating place to play. Once visiting people stop saying it's a nice stadium and say "THAT PLACE IS FRIGGING CRAZY", YOU DON'T WANT TO PLAY THERE !!!!!! Then we'll have something.

Hoghead

How many times did TEXAS come to Fayetteville and lose ? Not a lot !

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Hoghead on March 02, 2012, 02:26:29 am

I also watched Texas kick our tails in WMS...your point being?

Coach Venny Slocombe

There is nothing that anybody can say that can justify any big games being held in Little Rock. Nothing...you want your recruits to spend their time where they will be practicing and playing most of their games and where they will be going to classes. Money wise it's a no brainer, WMS holds 54 thousand and DWRRS holds 78 thousand. 24 thousand more fans is alot more money. If the so called crazy fans will make the drive then maybe they can make DWRRS louder than WMS...for the people arguing against the move it's all about the drive. If you love the hogs then you will make the drive...pretty simple... ;)

mack

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 02, 2012, 11:33:40 am
There is nothing that anybody can say that can justify any big games being held in Little Rock. Nothing...you want your recruits to spend their time where they will be practicing and playing most of their games and where they will be going to classes. Money wise it's a no brainer, WMS holds 54 thousand and DWRRS holds 78 thousand. 24 thousand more fans is alot more money. If the so called crazy fans will make the drive then maybe they can make DWRRS louder than WMS...for the people arguing against the move it's all about the drive. If you love the hogs then you will make the drive...pretty simple... ;)

Bro',,,, all things change.  I've been around long enough to know that.  And, I will make the drive and get flippin ripped off by the area hotels,,, but I don't have to like it.  Mr. Long knows I don't like it,,,if he read the letter. :-)

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: mack on March 02, 2012, 12:01:38 pm

Bro',,,, all things change.  I've been around long enough to know that.  And, I will make the drive and get flippin ripped off by the area hotels,,, but I don't have to like it.  Mr. Long knows I don't like it,,,if he read the letter. :-)
You are a good man...

Hoghead

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 02, 2012, 10:35:08 am
Quote from: Hoghead on March 02, 2012, 02:26:29 am

I also watched Texas kick our tails in WMS...your point being?
My point is neither is this massive home field advantage for the Hogs. Also taking in PB's account of the Miami game at WMS back in the mid 80's. The Hogs have lost to the likes of TCU in Fayetteville before. Follow my drift Venny ?

AirWarren

Quote from: Hoghead on March 02, 2012, 02:13:48 am
That 50 to 14 USC Hog Killing in Fayetteville in 2006 must've been nice for you PB.
How about losing to Ole Miss in 2009 30 -17 in Fayetteville ???? I love the stadium up there. But it's not a intimidating place to play. Once visiting people stop saying it's a nice stadium and say "THAT PLACE IS FRIGGING CRAZY", YOU DON'T WANT TO PLAY THERE !!!!!! Then we'll have something.

Yes, those loud RRS crowds really pulled us through those games.

pantherblue

The fact is the hogs should win or lose home games at home on the hill.

Hoghead

Quote from: pantherblue on March 02, 2012, 08:23:01 pm

I'd prefer they win wherever they play !!!!!!

Smithian

Quote from: TheHogHead on February 28, 2012, 11:00:26 pm
Don't be shocked if ASU gains tons of credibility, and tons of Central Arkansas' fanbase when they join the Big 12 and agree to play 2 games at WMS in the next couple of years.  Laugh now, but refer back to this post when it comes to be.

Uncle Ivan

The university should never have been established there in the first place.

I'd love to take a wrecking ball to that yankee-built eyesore Old Main.

olddog79

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 05, 2012, 08:19:49 am

Off your meds again I see....that's a shame.

pantherblue

It's absolutely beautiful up there...  I was accepted and had I not gotten the job I am still in 32 years later I would have went to school up there...  My son is a jr up there now and loving every minute of it and not missing out on anything... He's getting his math teaching degree and already attending School board meetings up there...  Love the mountains and the school....

Coach Venny Slocombe

Sooooo, where should it have been built? Little Rock? So it could get destroyed like everything else down there...Pine Bluff? Okayyyyyyy...Jonesboro...lol...Hot Springs? I mean let's face it, Fayetteville is the perfect setting for the U of A...if you have any other suggestions I would love to hear them...

Smithian

I'll say it again; if someone hates the University of Arkansas, don't support the Arkansas Razorbacks. Find a new team.

You certainly don't have to be an alumni of the University to be a supporter, but you can't really hate it and support the Razorbacks. The athletic departments serves as an instrument of the University, not vice versa.

There are plenty of other institutions here in our state. Go support one of those programs.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Smithian on March 05, 2012, 03:11:59 pm

I'll say it again; if someone hates the University of Arkansas, don't support the Arkansas Razorbacks. Find a new team.

You certainly don't have to be an alumni of the University to be a supporter, but you can't really hate it and support the Razorbacks. The athletic departments serves as an instrument of the University, not vice versa.

There are plenty of other institutions here in our state. Go support one of those programs.

I was supporting the program and the university when you were * your diapers.

Your attitude precisely proves the elitist mentality those from that area have: you think the college and the program belongs to you, and no other.

It's also that mentality and short-sided thinking that holds the program and university back. 

mack

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 06, 2012, 07:09:36 am

Your attitude precisely proves the elitist mentality those from that area have: you think the college and the program belongs to you, and no other.

It's also that mentality and short-sided thinking that holds the program and university back. 

Right or wrong, this is the perception of many of us who live south of Clarksville.  I'm curious if Warren Stephens will threaten to withdraw support if they take the remaining games?  It has been suggested before.

olddog79

Quote from: mack on March 06, 2012, 07:58:21 am
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 06, 2012, 07:09:36 am

Right or wrong, this is the perception of many of us who live south of Clarksville.  I'm curious if Warren Stephens will threaten to withdraw support if they take the remaining games?  It has been suggested before.
Stephens doesn't have the only check book in the state you know.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: olddog79 on March 06, 2012, 08:14:03 am
Stephens doesn't have the only check book in the state you know.

Neither does Wal Mart, JB Hunt, or Jim Lindsey.

Smithian

March 06, 2012, 08:46:54 am #135 Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:49:04 am by Smithian
Warren Stephens isn't the only major donor out there. It also needs to be remembered TV money, media rights, and other streams of SEC money are so much now that donations aren't as needed. Also remember if all the games move to Fayetteville, with the stadium expansion the income boost from just those two extra games in Fayetteville will be massive. The income boost will be in the millions of dollars.

Jeff Long isn't going to be held hostage by Little Rock boosters.

The University over these past 15 to 20 years has simply changed. Academically and athletically it has improved by leaps and bounds. Enrollment is booming. New facilities, both academic and athletic, are popping up all over campus. The work of so many is paying off. We may never have the nationally recognizable name of other Flagship Institutions such as Virginia, North Carolina, and Michigan, but it is a goal that must be pursued.  The school is simply to big to be trapped by boosters in Little Rock. Everything needs to take place on campus and if off campus games happens it needs to happen at elite stadiums like the new Cowboys Stadium.

People should support the University of Arkansas. Only UAMS can approach the UofA's ability to attract top flight researches, faculty, and researchers to state of Arkansas. The top flight athletic programs are only a bonus. People who wish badly of the University are just hoping for something that would hurt themselves. You may have gone to Arkansas Tech or UCA, but the University of Arkansas still represents your state and you want your state represented the best it possibly can be nationally. There are plenty of high quality instate alternatives for students who don't feel the best fit for them is in Fayetteville, but at the end of the day nationally the most recognizable school is the one in Fayetteville.

Increasing athletic department revenues and moving all games to campus is just another step in advancing the UofA's brand. If the price is upsetting Warren Stephens, well... That bridge has already been crossed many times. His interests seem to be self serving, not in the best interest of the school.

Uncle Ivan

March 06, 2012, 08:54:30 am #136 Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:56:09 am by Uncle Ivan
Quote from: Smithian on March 06, 2012, 08:46:54 am

Increasing athletic department revenues and moving all games to campus is just another step in advancing the UofA's brand.

Incorrect.  Moving all games to campus only will diminish the brand in far flung corners of the state.  Those of us who live here see the influence of other programs among citizens on a daily basis.

One thing people from NWA will never understand is that to be a statewide brand, the program has to have a statewide showing.  Retreating to the northwest corner, when you have areas of the state that are already closer to other SEC programs than from there to Fayetteville - is both short-sided and ultimately harmful to the program, in the long run.

From where I live, two SEC programs are already closer than Fayetteville.  It is a merely twenty mile difference from here to Fayetteville than from here to Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  Twenty miles.

For all the talk about stadium expansion, one thing that is rarely brought up is that the stadium right now doesn't sell out consistently.  You don't increase supply when the demand isn't there.  It's simple economics, really.

mack

Warren Stephens isn't the only major donor out there. It also needs to be remembered TV money, media rights, and other streams of SEC money are so much now that donations aren't as needed. Also remember if all the games move to Fayetteville, with the stadium expansion the income boost from just those two extra games in Fayetteville will be massive. The income boost will be in the millions of dollars.

Jeff Long isn't going to be held hostage by Little Rock boosters.

The University over these past 15 to 20 years has simply changed. Academically and athletically it has improved by leaps and bounds. Enrollment is booming. New facilities, both academic and athletic, are popping up all over campus. The work of so many is paying off. We may never have the nationally recognizable name of other Flagship Institutions such as Virginia, North Carolina, and Michigan, but it is a goal that must be pursued.  The school is simply to big to be trapped by boosters in Little Rock. Everything needs to take place on campus and if off campus games happens it needs to happen at elite stadiums like the new Cowboys Stadium.

People should support the University of Arkansas. Only UAMS can approach the UofA's ability to attract top flight researches, faculty, and researchers to state of Arkansas. The top flight athletic programs are only a bonus. People who wish badly of the University are just hoping for something that would hurt themselves. You may have gone to Arkansas Tech or UCA, but the University of Arkansas still represents your state and you want your state represented the best it possibly can be nationally. There are plenty of high quality instate alternatives for students who don't feel the best fit for them is in Fayetteville, but at the end of the day nationally the most recognizable school is the one in Fayetteville.

Increasing athletic department revenues and moving all games to campus is just another step in advancing the UofA's brand. If the price is upsetting Warren Stephens, well... That bridge has already been crossed many times. His interests seem to be self serving, not in the best interest of the school.

A lengthy, but well thought out dissertation my friend.  As usual your intelligence is put to good use.  I still prefer Baitshop's more succinct and to the point statement, " you can't host recruits at a WMS game ".  That to me is the only concrete, acceptable reason in my mind for the raping of Little Rock.  Still, I will not as some have suggested, lay back and enjoy it.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 06, 2012, 08:54:30 am

Increasing athletic department revenues and moving all games to campus is just another step in advancing the UofA's brand.

Incorrect.  Moving all games to campus only will diminish the brand in far flung corners of the state.  Those of us who live here see the influence of other programs among citizens on a daily basis.

One thing people from NWA will never understand is that to be a statewide brand, the program has to have a statewide showing.  Retreating to the northwest corner, when you have areas of the state that are already closer to other SEC programs than from there to Fayetteville - is both short-sided and ultimately harmful to the program, in the long run.

From where I live, two SEC programs are already closer than Fayetteville.  It is a merely twenty mile difference from here to Fayetteville than from here to Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  Twenty miles.

For all the talk about stadium expansion, one thing that is rarely brought up is that the stadium right now doesn't sell out consistently.  You don't increase supply when the demand isn't there.  It's simple economics, really.
Baton Rouge is not centrally located and LSU only plays their home games there. There are too many major universities to list that only play there home games at one stadium and are not centrally located. That is a weak argument. Bottom line is the Little Rock games in the grand scheme is holding the U of A back and Jeff Long realizes this...good for him...

mack

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 06, 2012, 09:48:47 am

Baton Rouge is not centrally located and LSU only plays their home games there. There are too many major universities to list that only play there home games at one stadium and are not centrally located. That is a weak argument. Bottom line is the Little Rock games in the grand scheme is holding the U of A back and Jeff Long realizes this...good for him...

Spoken like a true "northofclarksvillian"  ;)

Brian G

Wow the hurt just continues to grow.  This is a very simple issue.  The UA determines what's best for itself overall.  You support that or not.  That's a "you" issue.

sevenof400

Quote from: B.G. on March 06, 2012, 05:57:48 pm
Wow the hurt just continues to grow.  This is a very simple issue.  The UA determines what's best for itself overall.  You support that or not.  That's a "you" issue.

Take it or leave it can become a very lonely proposition.

pantherblue

Take it or leave is a great proposition. 

fastdrop

I am living proof of this - I grew up a huge Hog fan. Now not so much.

BTW - There is a new Billboard welcoming everybody into Arkansas from the Memphis Bridge ... Good old Gus inviting everybody to get on the bus. Pretty cool billboard if I have to say so myself.

pantherblue

New Gus / ASU billboard on I-30 bridge heading into LR too.   

Romeo

Biggest difference between Arkansas and Louisiana is that they have division I programs in each corner of the state. Its not a state that entirely supports one team. The only other program with a situation similar to ours is Nebraska and they don't a stadium debate because western Nebraska is virtually remote. Shutting out the central area will do more harm than good.

AirWarren

^ man. Warren people are smart. Excellent point man.

Brian G

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 06, 2012, 06:02:28 pm
Quote from: B.G. on March 06, 2012, 05:57:48 pm

Take it or leave it can become a very lonely proposition.
You're paraphrasing without making a true point.  Rock that boat all you want but I'll hold the company line.  The UA is making business decisions that serve it best.  All the crying and lawyer bootstrapping doesn't change that.

All the doomsdayers were wrong when the first GSD started and they are wrong now.  Emotion is a two way tool and best left out of greater good scenarios.

Even now, the murmur is almost unhearable as people know what is right.  They are just bothered it goes against their own agenda.

Brian G

Also, you have to acknowledge the way fat tv contracts have changed things.  It used to be the only way people saw games was to be there in person with a random shot at catching your team on tv.

Now that has changed.  Practically every game is on tv.  It's been the downfall of some schools that used to be the major players for national broadcasts.  But now with so many networks, travel has diminished for many fans.  You could make a case that even the loudest critics will admit to watching LR games on tv themselves.

All that leads me to this.  Having the nicest facilities to attract the best recruits and to sell the maximum number of seats is what makes the program grow.  Overall revenue and sustaining talent base are the true trump cards.

10,000 empty seats at DWR is still better than a sold out WM.

fastdrop

Quote from: pantherblue on March 06, 2012, 07:45:07 pm
New Gus / ASU billboard on I-30 bridge heading into LR too.   
It will be interesting to see if ASU/Gus can really make a run at this thing.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas