• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beckham to commit to Mizzou...Tenpenny to Bama...

Started by Coach Venny Slocombe, January 30, 2012, 12:06:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach Venny Slocombe

sevenof400

It's understandable someone would commit to the National Champions so while losing Tenpenny isn't a shock, it does make one ask why Missouri would be preferred over Arkansas...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 30, 2012, 12:25:58 pm
It's understandable someone would commit to the National Champions so while losing Tenpenny isn't a shock, it does make one ask why Missouri would be preferred over Arkansas...
Blows my mind also. I guess being closer to home means alot to this kid.

Ridge Rat

Fayetteville is closer to Springfield than Columbia is.

theHammer

Venny, stop. DGB is not going to make or break this class. This class is solid. Top to bottom. Anyone that says otherwise is just fooling themselves. Keep in mind this will be Petrino's best class since he's been here EVEN WITHOUT DGB. Think about that.

His recruiting is not lousy. Not by a mile. Just because the classes aren't ranked high initially, doesn't mean he's a lousy recruiter. Allow Sports Illustrated to elaborate. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/02/08/2008-recruiting-classes/index.html

And, btw: Fayetteville is about an hour closer to Springdale than Columbia.

Also, your linked article isn't true. Just a Tulsa reporter trying to stir the pot.
http://eye-on-recruiting.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26895818/34626598

We won't know anything for sure until it comes out of his mouth on Wednesday morning. I'm still confident it's going to be the hogs.

B. Kirk

You link to SBNation and expect credibility? You, as well as everyone else on this board, will find out where DGB signs Wednesday at 9:15.

As for Tenpenny, I counter with Jamel James, one of the top running backs in the nation for the class of 2013. He's already committed to the Hogs.

Running around screaming that the sky is falling accomplishes nothing.

Romeo

January 30, 2012, 01:49:09 pm #6 Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 02:13:45 pm by Romeo
- Tenpenny to Alabama is true. Its the fourth straight year Arkansas has lost the state's number one prospect.

- The DGB debate is similar to the Mike Anderson dilemma last Spring. Some reporters are saying Arkansas, some are saying Missouri. Dudley Dawson hasn't yielded from saying that he's coming here until today We'll find out soon enough. But as of right now the tide is shifting toward Missouri. FWIW, DGB's father has denied the Tulsa report http://bryan-fischer.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26895818/34626598?source=rss_blogs_NCAAF&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

-

Romeo

Quote from: B. Kirk on January 30, 2012, 01:30:41 pm
You link to SBNation and expect credibility? You, as well as everyone else on this board, will find out where DGB signs Wednesday at 9:15.

As for Tenpenny, I counter with Jamel James, one of the top running backs in the nation for the class of 2013. He's already committed to the Hogs.

FWIW, that site is not announcing DGB to Missouri themselves. Their quoting from John Hoover of the TulsaWorld newspaper.

Wahls

Quote from: Romeo on January 30, 2012, 01:49:09 pm
- Tenpenny to Alabama is true. Its the fourth straight year Arkansas has lost the state's number one prospect.

Wasn't saying much this season. I don't think Brooks is better, or has more upside than Cobb or Ward.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: theHammer on January 30, 2012, 01:24:25 pm
Venny, stop. DGB is not going to make or break this class. This class is solid. Top to bottom. Anyone that says otherwise is just fooling themselves. Keep in mind this will be Petrino's best class since he's been here EVEN WITHOUT DGB. Think about that.

His recruiting is not lousy. Not by a mile. Just because the classes aren't ranked high initially, doesn't mean he's a lousy recruiter. Allow Sports Illustrated to elaborate. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/02/08/2008-recruiting-classes/index.html

And, btw: Fayetteville is about an hour closer to Springdale than Columbia.

Also, your linked article isn't true. Just a Tulsa reporter trying to stir the pot.
http://eye-on-recruiting.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26895818/34626598

We won't know anything for sure until it comes out of his mouth on Wednesday morning. I'm still confident it's going to be the hogs.
We will see. I love Petrino as a coach but seriously guys, We are not gonna get past the Bama's and Lsu's until we recruit better. You can't deny that. Either way I am still happy as heck to have Petrino.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: B. Kirk on January 30, 2012, 01:30:41 pm

Dude, I just provided a link with what was being said...calm down...but like Romeo said, it's not cool losing the state's top prospect again...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Ridge Rat on January 30, 2012, 01:21:28 pm
Fayetteville is closer to Springfield than Columbia is.
True, I read somewhere over the weekend that his mom wants him to stay in Mizzou...

Wahls

He said he would sign on signing day about two weeks ago. This leads me to believe he made his decision two weeks ago.

Back then, it was Oklahoma and Arkansas. Now it's allegedly between Arkansas and Missouri? I don't buy it.

Won't bother me either way. We're log jammed at WR right now.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Wahls on January 30, 2012, 03:40:41 pm
He said he would sign on signing day about two weeks ago. This leads me to believe he made his decision two weeks ago.

Back then, it was Oklahoma and Arkansas. Now it's allegedly between Arkansas and Missouri? I don't buy it.

We are log jammed at Wr now, but this kid is pretty special. He could end up being Joe Adams special and you never want to lose a kid like, especially to a team that is coming to the SEC.

Wahls

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 30, 2012, 03:42:54 pm
Quote from: Wahls on January 30, 2012, 03:40:41 pm

We are log jammed at Wr now, but this kid is pretty special. He could end up being Joe Adams special and you never want to lose a kid like, especially to a team that is coming to the SEC.

Too tall to be Joe Adams. I think he might be a taller, faster Greg Childs with worse hands.

If it were 5 years ago, it would matter to us. But it really doesn't matter that much in the grand scheme of things.

zebradynasty

Well the news might get worse the 4-star JUCO WR Courtney Gardner (supposedly a another Joe Adams but much bigger) that gave his verbal is now kinda shaky. OU has made a late push and now has him thinking. I am not saying the sky is falling but it certainly isn't as bright and sunny as I thought coming off back to back 10 win+ seasons!

RDâ„¢

Don't believe a word you hear on DGB.

OU fans stirring the pot.

RDâ„¢

- The DGB debate is similar to the Mike Anderson dilemma last Spring. Some reporters are saying Arkansas, some are saying Missouri. Dudley Dawson hasn't yielded from saying that he's coming here until today We'll find out soon enough. But as of right now the tide is shifting toward Missouri. FWIW, DGB's father has denied the Tulsa report http://bryan-fischer.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26895818/34626598?source=rss_blogs_NCAAF&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

-
Tenpeney, hasn't been rated the state's top prospect yet has he?

Ridge Rat

Did he even play this year? Seems like he was hurt, maybe it was last year.

sevenof400

He (Tenpenny) broke an ankle early on but came back past the mid way point of the season.   

Mulerider

January 30, 2012, 05:49:03 pm #20 Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:51:52 pm by Mulerider
If DGB wants to go to Missouri and finish .500 his entire career in the SEC then hats off to him.  I tell you this, I would much rather see him at Missouri than at a school that could actually make some noise and be a threat.

Alabama swooping in and taking the state's #1 is not news, they did the same thing to the #1 kid in Louisiana.  I mean really, any kid that visits Arkansas, LSU and Alabama, unless they have Hog blood running through their veins would put Arkansas 3rd on the list.  Arkansas is always going to struggle getting the kids that Bama or LSU offer that aren't born Hogs.

Romeo

Quote from: RD™ on January 30, 2012, 04:20:07 pm

-
Tenpeney, hasn't been rated the state's top prospect yet has he?

Not yet, but by all accounts he'll be rated a five star prospect when the new rankings come out. Many recruiting analysts are also considering him the top prospect for 2013.

Romeo

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 30, 2012, 03:49:53 pm
Well the news might get worse the 4-star JUCO WR Courtney Gardner (supposedly a another Joe Adams but much bigger) that gave his verbal is now kinda shaky. OU has made a late push and now has him thinking. I am not saying the sky is falling but it certainly isn't as bright and sunny as I thought coming off back to back 10 win+ seasons!

Grades are an issue with him. Right now he's not qualified for SEC standards. He is however qualified to play for Oklahoma due to lower academic standards for the Big 12. He''ll have a lot of work to pick up if he signs with Arkansas which is why he's weighing his options. Rumor is if DGB goes to Missouri he'll sign with Arkansas

trevster10

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 30, 2012, 05:02:41 pm
He (Tenpenny) broke an ankle early on but came back past the mid way point of the season.

He did not play in the regular season for sure. I heard a rumor that he may have played during the playoffs but never heard anything official. That would have been 2 games, tops.

CathywithaC

Quote from: trevster10 on January 30, 2012, 06:38:13 pm

He did not play in the regular season for sure. I heard a rumor that he may have played during the playoffs but never heard anything official. That would have been 2 games, tops.
did not play any after the injury

Eddie Goodson

A top five season with several "crappy" recruiting classes for CBP. I'll take it.

TTofGreenwood

I understand DGB is the number one rated player in America(according to most), but if only Arkansas and Mizzou are after you.......really?

trevster10

Quote from: TTofgreenwood on January 30, 2012, 07:44:38 pm
I understand DGB is the number one rated player in America(according to most), but if only Arkansas and Mizzou are after you.......really?

B. Kirk

Quote from: CathywithaC on January 30, 2012, 07:20:04 pm
Quote from: trevster10 on January 30, 2012, 06:38:13 pm

did not play any after the injury

He has yet to show on the field that he deserves to be ranked that high.

All the hype is based off a couple of combines.

AirWarren

I have been reading hogville some.

I'm a diehard hog fan but geez, some of those folks on there need to get a life. If they are that worried about where a teenager goes to play football they need more to do. It ain't that serious.

I hope he does become a hog though. But I'm not going to harass him on FB or Twitter. The kid can make his own decision. Heck I don't even have have those accounts to do it. Leave the kid alone, they may be doing more harm than good with the twitter hits to him.

Brian G

AirWarren

Not very good but oh well.

BP has proved he can win 10-11 games with 3 star talent. That is what matters. He molds them into good football players.

If anyone belly aches about 10-11 seasons, just start rehashing what we had with ole HDN and look at Oxford's situation. That will bring you back to reality.

Brian G

AirWarren

Smithian

What.

TTofGreenwood

AirWarren

Quote from: Smithian on January 30, 2012, 09:22:39 pm
What.
I was confused too.

Quote from: TTofgreenwood on January 30, 2012, 09:22:56 pm
He will be a HOG.  I know for sure.
I like this confidence! I'll get back with you after Wednesday!

TTofGreenwood

I'll be honest.  I just saw official offer list for this kid.  Makes me feel better.  However, if we miss out, it is definately not the end of the world. 

zebradynasty

Quote from: Romeo on January 30, 2012, 06:07:44 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on January 30, 2012, 03:49:53 pm

Grades are an issue with him. Right now he's not qualified for SEC standards. He is however qualified to play for Oklahoma due to lower academic standards for the Big 12. He''ll have a lot of work to pick up if he signs with Arkansas which is why he's weighing his options. Rumor is if DGB goes to Missouri he'll sign with Arkansas

I hope he get's the grade thing worked out and stays a hog because making the decision to go to OU as WR this year this late as a JUCO....insane! OU has 1 5star recruit, 4  4star recruits at WR and  1 4star TE! How many balls is he gonna catch in 2 years?

AirWarren

Some of those folks on Hogville are going to be on suicide watch if DGB doesn't come to Arkansas. It is rather comical how TOO devoted they are as a fan.

Bondfan4ever

LOL, I'll go one better on that one AW.  If DGB doesn't commit to Arkansas, how many of them lose bladder control, haha.  I agree with you, there are some DEVOTED fans on Hogville, that's for sure.

AirWarren

Romeo

I love how a recruit is the best thing since sliced bread until they commit somewhere else then their suddenly not really needed and overrated.

fastdrop

How can anybody ..... ANYBODY DOUBT PETRINO'S RESULTS????????????

I think we the State of Arkansas has 2 of the top 20 college head football coaches as I type this.

sevenof400

Quote from: fastdrop on January 31, 2012, 08:36:47 am

I think we the State of Arkansas has 2 of the top 20 college head football coaches as I type this.

The trend is certainly in the right direction - the challenge is to scale the mountain.
No reason to jump off the wagon now but one mark of progress will be Arkansas' ability to recruit the highest rated athletes. 

Mulerider

Quote from: fastdrop on January 31, 2012, 08:36:47 am

Head coaches are doubted every year, its a what have you done for me lately attitude.  Every head coach is two seasons away from being fired and most are one season away.

In my opinion, the key for Petrino will be how well he can recruit out of state with the big boys because it aint everyday that Arkansas has Wright, Adams, and Childs in one recruiting class.  Those guys were 5 star recruits if they played in just about any SEC state but Arkansas.  Arkansas' high school players are almost always rated low based on the overall play and image of the state level of high school football.

Smithian

Quote from: AW on January 31, 2012, 03:30:56 am
Some of those folks on Hogville are going to be on suicide watch if DGB doesn't come to Arkansas. It is rather comical how TOO devoted they are as a fan.
Hogville may be the worst forum on the internet. The level of dumbazzery is sad for humanity. There are a lot of really good posters, but there are hundreds of idiots for each one good poster.

The Nutt saga gave Hog fans a false sense of empowerment.

Wahls

Quote from: Mulerider on January 30, 2012, 05:49:03 pmI mean really, any kid that visits Arkansas, LSU and Alabama, unless they have Hog blood running through their veins would put Arkansas 3rd on the list.

And that's exactly the opposite of how it went with DGB. How funny.

mack

Quote from: Smithian on January 31, 2012, 10:10:55 am
Quote from: AW on January 31, 2012, 03:30:56 am
Hogville may be the worst forum on the internet. The level of dumbazzery is sad for humanity. There are a lot of really good posters, but there are hundreds of idiots for each one good poster.

The Nutt saga gave Hog fans a false sense of empowerment.

Agreed.  It's like being in 'Bizarro World' over there. 

The Nutt saga was impacted by the fans.  When the average guy takes his butt out of the seats, and major boosters threaten to withold $, coaches get gone pretty quickly.

Mulerider

Quote from: Wahls on January 31, 2012, 10:13:17 am
Quote from: Mulerider on January 30, 2012, 05:49:03 pmI mean really, any kid that visits Arkansas, LSU and Alabama, unless they have Hog blood running through their veins would put Arkansas 3rd on the list.

And that's exactly the opposite of how it went with DGB. How funny.

For sure!  Can you really take a kid seriously that would pick freaking Missouri in football when they have their choice of schools to go to?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas