• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UA Kicker/Punter

Started by Busman, January 26, 2012, 11:26:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Busman

Drive Time Sports had a a discussion Tuesday regarding Zach Hocker succeeding Dylan Breeding as a punter and doing both jobs, thus no recruting of a kicker this year.  Rick Schaeffer couldn't recall someone that did both since  Steve Little.  Didn't Greg Horne and Bruce Lahay do both?  But maybe they didn't in the same year?  Seems like Horne placekicked for a year, missed some big kicks, and came back the next year as a punter.  And Lahay started as a punter, then switched to placekicker? The only other one that comes to mind would be Steve Cox, who punted and kicked off and MAYBE tried one or two 55+ yard field goals?

InYoGrill

Quote from: Busman on January 26, 2012, 11:26:01 am
Drive Time Sports had a a discussion Tuesday regarding Zach Hocker succeeding Dylan Breeding as a punter and doing both jobs, thus no recruting of a kicker this year.  Rick Schaeffer couldn't recall someone that did both since  Steve Little.  Didn't Greg Horne and Bruce Lahay do both?  But maybe they didn't in the same year?  Seems like Horne placekicked for a year, missed some big kicks, and came back the next year as a punter.  And Lahay started as a punter, then switched to placekicker? The only other one that comes to mind would be Steve Cox, who punted and kicked off and MAYBE tried one or two 55+ yard field goals?

If I remember right, Rick said at some point during the show said that Horne did both one year.

Hoghead

Quote from: InYoGrill on January 28, 2012, 02:49:41 pm
Quote from: Busman on January 26, 2012, 11:26:01 am

If I remember right, Rick said at some point during the show said that Horne did both one year.
Mike Kirkland was the Qb and punter for the Hogs in the mid 70's.

Busman

The questions was "since Steve Little".  In the 60's and 70's, a few people did double duty.  Little took over the jobs in 1974.  Kirkland was a little older. 

Hoghead

Quote from: Busman on January 30, 2012, 02:35:26 pm
The questions was "since Steve Little".  In the 60's and 70's, a few people did double duty.  Little took over the jobs in 1974.  Kirkland was a little older. 
Kirkland was the Kicker when Little showed up. Kirkland graduated in 1976 !

Busman

Correct.  Little was a year younger than me and Coach Broyles was recruiting me as a walk-on.  He said he wanted to wait a year before giving me a scholarship.  One of the players that was there told me the reason was he had an eye on this "all-purpose quarterback/punter/kicker" in Kansas they wanted to sign for the next season.  So I saw the handwriting on the wall. 

If you check the season of '73 stats, you will see they struggled somewhat in the kicking game that year.  In particular comes to mind the OSU game in Little Rock - shanked punts, missed PAT's/FG's.  Broyles was certainly correct in his assessment of Little.

Wahls

I love these old discussions.

Busman

Fromthe UA Media Guide:
Bruce Lahay "Lahay punted the ball 63 times for 2,436 yards, an average of
38.7 yards per try. When it came to splitting the uprights he was
no slouch either, making 19 of 24 field goals (.792).
145"

Valleysports

February 04, 2012, 10:42:55 am #8 Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:45:43 am by Valleysports
I'm should start a tour of past Russellville Kickers homes - this is where Jeff Horne grew up - this is where Zach is still growing up - haha.  Actually Horne never grew up!  :-X

Hoghead

That 1975 Hog team was loaded. Tommy Cheney #16 was a punter from FS Northside on that team. Notable names on that SWC & Cotton Bowl Championship team.
Steve Little
Mike Kirkland
Scott Bull
Ron Calgani
Ike Forte
Jerry Eckwood
Roland Fusch
Brison Manor
Charles Clay
Ben Cowins
Jimmy Walker
Gerald Skinner
Bo Busby
Vaughn Lusby
Howard Sampson
Muskie Harris
Freddie Douglas
How they lost to TEXAS and Okie St. that year I'll never know. Frank had a full house that year !!!

PressBox-81

Quote from: Valleysports on February 04, 2012, 10:42:55 am
I'm should start a tour of past Russellville Kickers homes - this is where Jeff Horne grew up - this is where Zach is still growing up - haha.  Actually Horne never grew up!  :-X

Come on Valley at least try and be correct....His name was Greg Horn and moved to Russellville in 8th grade after growing up in Searcy.  He is still out there and doing fine despite your belief he never grew up.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas