• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Monday Scores for 4A

Started by Brian G, March 09, 2014, 11:08:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

~WPS~

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 10, 2014, 07:36:26 pm
Quote from: Ballplayer1 on March 10, 2014, 03:40:15 pm
Nashville's trying to make a run but the refs won't let them.

Refs didn't cost you the game? Then why make this comment? Follow that up by running down Lonoke by saying they wouldn't have made it out of the first round if there weren't playing at home was another classy statement. I see why you throw around the term "especially upset" so much, you know exactly what that feels like don't ya?  :D

Btw, excuses are for losers.
I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've ever said "especially upset". Go ahead and check and prove yourself wrong again. I would think Stuttgart folks are especially upset the most. Lost to Marianna in football, can't beat Nashville in basketball. :D

~WPS~

Quote from: arkiebass on March 10, 2014, 07:49:37 pm

Refs didn't cost you the game? Then why make this comment? Follow that up by running down Lonoke by saying they wouldn't have made it out of the first round if there weren't playing at home was another classy statement. I see why you throw around the term "especially upset" so much, you know exactly what that feels like don't ya?  :D

Hey Ballplayer1

Remember this>

Re: Region 4A-South @ Nashville
« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2014, 08:20:38 pm »

Quote from: Ballplayer1 on March 01, 2014, 08:20:38 pm

Absolutely! This Monticello team is not very good. Athletic but nothing more. When you play in a weak conference you tend to have a good record.

Fair warning to the rest of the state: CAC is for real.

and this one

Quote from: Ballplayer1 on March 02, 2014, 05:30:23 pm
Re: Region 4A-South @ Nashville
« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2014, 05:30:23 pm »
You all can say all you want about injuries, suspensions, whatever. But none of that matters. You may have been the best team in Arkansas a month ago or whenever it was before these injuries and suspensions, but right now, entering the state tournament Monticello is only as good as what they've got. I don't think they are the best in 4A. That's my opinion that I got from watching them play at the regional. They might win it all and prove that they are the best, and if that's the case, then I'll congratulate you at the end of it all.
What's your point? Monticello still isn't any better than I thought they were.

~WPS~

Quote from: arkiebass on March 10, 2014, 07:54:10 pm
Great season Scrappers... When we played you guys back in Dual State, I would have never believed you could mount a season such as this.  It proves your hard work and dedication can overcome any shortcomings.  You should be proud and look forward to next season... BTW... I don't think we want a rematch... lol
I agree. It's been a fun year in Nashville. Having success in basketball for the first time since the 60's has brought a breath of fresh air. Hopefully we can keep this going and build on this year's success. We've certainly got the coach to do it with.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: basketballfan3 on March 10, 2014, 07:15:43 pm
WOW! Bet that was a fun game to watch. This is an example of why we need a shot clock in high school.

Now wait a minute! People were on Coach Bielema and saying he was trying to change the rules of the game to suit his style of play. What was it they were saying? "Just shut up and play?" Wanting a shot clock in basketball to change the game is no different, just shut and play the game the way it is! LOL

BTW, I'm not against a shot clock, just felt like that point needed to be made. :)

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Ballplayer1 on March 10, 2014, 08:01:14 pm

I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've ever said "especially upset". Go ahead and check and prove yourself wrong again. I would think Stuttgart folks are especially upset the most. Lost to Marianna in football, can't beat Nashville in basketball. :D

Nashville should've beaten Stuttgart, the Ricebirds were barely over .500 this year. They just got hot toward tourney time and finished out the season well. And did I read that right, Nashville hasn't been good in basketball since the '60's??? Go ahead and crow then, you've waited long enough. LOL

~WPS~

March 10, 2014, 08:18:51 pm #55 Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:39:06 pm by Ballplayer1
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 10, 2014, 08:13:19 pm

Nashville should've beaten Stuttgart, the Ricebirds were barely over .500 this year. They just got hot toward tourney time and finished out the season well. And did I read that right, Nashville hasn't been good in basketball since the '60's??? Go ahead and crow then, you've waited long enough. LOL
Nashville finished 18-13, so not much better. And yeah I know it's been a while. Lol. First time since 1963 that Nashville has made the state tournament. Basketball has just been a way to keep in shape between football and track, until now.

TSW

No one here is especially upset or making excuses. We did not make the shots in paint that we should have .  Nashville was better that night , hats off for making it to final four . You should learn to enjoy the ride . blaming the refs ,unless you were perfect shooting and had zero turnovers I doubt the refs COST you the game .  A great run for a football school.

~WPS~

And I didn't say it COST us the game.

BoxNOne

That Brookland vs Monticello score is embarrassing for high school ball. Plus they played an extra four minutes.

~WPS~

Can someone who was at the game give some details on the score. Did one or both of the teams stall the whole game, could nobody make a shot, or was the defense that good?

Brian G

4AWhistler

Quote from: BoxNOne on March 10, 2014, 08:46:35 pm
That Brookland vs Monticello score is embarrassing for high school ball. Plus they played an extra four minutes.
Either there was an actual lid on the basket or they played keep away the whole game.  I wasn't there, and I'm thankful I wasn't, so this is just speculation. 

The TruthSayer

Sounds like Ballplayer1 is someone that follows a team that is in moth balls!!!!!!

BHS2014

Quote from: Ballplayer1 on March 10, 2014, 08:50:03 pm
Can someone who was at the game give some details on the score. Did one or both of the teams stall the whole game, could nobody make a shot, or was the defense that good?

Both teams fought to get a good look. Not a transition game. Neither team shot with a very high percentage,  but it was more of a slowed down game where every shot was earned and fought for. No open shots.

~WPS~

In that case it sounds like it was a very good game.

BoxNOne

Sure, I am certain it was a great game to watch LOL.

AirWarren

SHot clock. Needed. That is pathetic and cowardly of Brookland.

urban legend2

Quote from: BHS2014 on March 10, 2014, 09:02:15 pm
Quote from: Ballplayer1 on March 10, 2014, 08:50:03 pm

Both teams fought to get a good look. Not a transition game. Neither team shot with a very high percentage,  but it was more of a slowed down game where every shot was earned and fought for. No open shots.

For a 22-21 game, there was action on just about every possession. It wasn't a close of one team trying to slow the game down, it was more so what was said earlier. Both teams made the other earn it. The 3-2 zone made it hard for Monticello to throw it inside, and it forced them to take tough shots. On the flip side, Monticello's man defense give Brookland fits because of their length and athleticism. I'd never thought I'd see the day where a 22-21 game was fairly decent to watch.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: basketballfan3 on March 10, 2014, 07:15:43 pm
WOW! Bet that was a fun game to watch. This is an example of why we need a shot clock in high school.

Amen!!!!

~WPS~

I'm a defensive minded person, I believe that defense wins championships. Since I've been told that this wasn't a stall game and was actually a very good defensive battle, then this seems like a great game. Just like in baseball, I'd rather see a 1-0 game than a 12-11 game.

ezyout11

Cowardly of Brookland!!! Seriously!!!! And your posting soccer scores!! It was a fantastic basketball game, and you have obviously not been paying attention to any of Brooklands games..  I can guarantee that both teams were physically exhausted afterwards.  They have won 21 or 22 games in a row the last five or six have been because the other team chased them around and couldn't put their hands on the basketball.  After they beat Dollarway and Monticello those guys were so frustrated and exhausted they were laying on the floor.   Gross is a great coach and has brought this program to State Championship game, that is by no means cowardly. 

urban legend2

That game could have gone either direction and from my viewpoint, both were spent afterwards. Talked to Gross after the game and he said he'd never seen a game in his life where both played as hard as they could and left it all out there. I tip my hat to both of them because they really did play their butts off.

arfastpitch

Defense wins championships!! Why would you want to play a fast pace game when that's not what got you there. Play your game not your opponents game. Good job Brookland boys.

BoxNOne

I don't think anyone is calling for a fast paced game. Just something a little better than 18-18 after 32 minutes. It is pathetic for a state semifinal game.

Nip/Tusk

What I find pathetic is people coming on here and criticizing a team for winning. Monticello had earned their right to play in that game just as Brookland had. The higher-scoring teams had their chance in this tournament and couldn't come through for whatever reason.

Give Brookland its due. Congratulations to them and Lonoke. They earned it over the other 46 teams in their class, no matter what style they play. Winning is the only thing that matters at this point.

NeverQuit

Quote from: AirWarren on March 10, 2014, 09:15:06 pm

What the heck is wrong with you?  Cowardly?  Were you there or are you just making crazy statements for fun?  I was there. It was a very defensive game, and neither team was having a good shooting night - they were both having VERY off nights shooting. No cowards were out there in that game.

Basketballfan13

I would hate to be the pathetic low scoring team in the state championship...I would much rather have 5 starters avg double digits sitting at home talking about how many points they scored this year. I've seen people upset about a teams sportsmanship, but to call a team pathetic and embarrassing for playing amazing defense and being patient is pretty funny.

Basketballfan13

Forgot to add, congrats to coach gross and the bearcats, y'all's program has been improving every year and you definitely deserve to be in the big game.

Bearcatparent

Can someone show me one place in the rules of Basketball that you must score a certain number of points for you to be considered a good basketball team? I don't think anyone can. I think basketball is still about putting the ball in the basket more times than your opponent in any means necessary. If Monticello wanted a faster paced game then why didn't they press Brookland or try to speed up the tempo. Basketball games do not have to be high scoring to be fun to watch. What is fun is to see two good teams and two good coaches try to out play and coach the other and see just which team is the best. Guess Brookland was that team tonight. So if you where not at the game then maybe you need to get some game film and watch it before you get on here talking about how pathetic it is of two teams to be in a low scoring game. Send me your address and I will try to get you some. And besides that, what if Monticello had won. Would everyone still be on here blaming Brookland for the low scoring game? Congratulations to Brookland and to Monticello on good seasons and also to the other teams that had the pleasure of playing games past the regular season.

SUGARTOWN

There are ways to force the tempo is one team is trying to slow it down to a crawl. Either the Monticello coach didn't have the players to do it or he just didn't know how, or maybe Brookland was just too good. Congrats to Brookland for winning it their way.

I'm sure the game was exciting if you watched in person. It doesn't sound like Brookland was holding the ball on their hip and running the clock, I've seen that done before. Their game with Stuttgart was 50-31, so it looks like they can score some points if needed.

redfire75

Quote from: AirWarren on March 10, 2014, 09:15:06 pm
Sorry , but your an Idiot!!! I'm not in any way , shape or form in support of brookland. But they are going to the final dance the same way they have played all year and they play as a team. They didn't break and rules by the way they play. If you follow the rules put in front of you, and you win, How on earth is that pathetic and Cowardly?

ISU7

March 11, 2014, 12:34:38 pm #81 Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 12:45:22 pm by ISU7
I agree BoxNOne, our girls peewee teams score more than this combined, for a minute i thought this thread read "peewee basketball game scores....lol For such a low scoring game, this thread has more comments on it than these two teams had points...lol . How many points did the high scorer on each team end up with, was it something like 4pts a piece.lol..Unbelievable, and to think they went into overtime thats whats sad. Oh well good win for Brookland , goog luck vs Lonoke.....  ;D ;D 8)

HankWilliams4President

Brookland coach is one of the best coaches in the state, and he was one of the best college players i've seen at ASU.  He knows what he's doing and he knows exactly what it takes to win.  His team can score plenty, but they don't have to score lots of points to win.  I'm sure it wasn't the most exciting game to watch but at this point in the season you have to have that survive and win mentality. 

BHS2014

Quote from: ISU7 on March 11, 2014, 12:34:38 pm
I agree BoxNOne, our girls peewee teams score more than this combined, for a minute i thought this thread read "peewee basketball game scores....lol For such a low scoring game, this thread has more comments on it than these two teams had points...lol . How many points did the high scorer on each team end up with, was it something like 4pts a piece.lol..Unbelievable, and to think they went into overtime thats whats sad. Oh well good win for Brookland , goog luck vs Lonoke.....  ;D ;D 8)

Brookland has put up scores in the high 60s and low 70s multiple times this season. They've held every opponent to under 40 throughout the playoffs with the exception of Gosnell, who brookland beat 71 to 53. Defense wins championships. Brookland held dollarway to 33, while dollarway put up 70 something on Lonoke. Brookland and Monticello are two of very few teams who still play defense instead of NBA style games.

doober3

I think a lot of these folks complaining about the low score of the Brookland/Monticello game are playing Baseball now.  So maybe those two basketball teams know just a little more about how to win a basketball game than you do.

I saw Brookland play twice.  That is a GREAT TEAM.  I can't imagine a better coached or better disciplined team than that. 

Most teams get a little "antsy" after the 3rd pass and jack up an ill advised shot.  Brookland will pass it 37 times until they get the shot they want.  Not many HS kids have the fortitude to do that.  I was certainly impressed.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas