• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4A Top Ten Poll

Started by WPWells, January 04, 2014, 11:19:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WPWells

Here's the original 4A Boys Top 5 to give a feeler as to where people consider teams to be:
1. Dollarway
2. Subiaco Academy
3. Maumelle
4. (Tie) Monticello
4. (Tie) Brookland

Now the rest of this thread will be used to give opinions on both boys and girls top tens. I'll leave the voting opened for two weeks, so the deadline is next Saturday at midnight

NEA Razorback olfan

January 05, 2014, 09:12:06 pm #1 Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 09:13:39 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Girls 1-5-14
1 Malvern
2 CAC
3 Ozark
4 Star City
5 Brookland
6 Cave City
7 Valley View
8 Farmington
9 Prarie Grove
10 Robinson

NEA Razorback olfan

January 05, 2014, 09:39:45 pm #2 Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 09:48:45 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Boys 1-5-14
1 Dollarway
2 Subiaco
3 Maumelle
4 Monticello
5 Westside
6 Arkadelphia
7 Pottsville
8 Pocahontas
9 Brookland
10 Gravette

WPWells

January 08, 2014, 09:40:31 pm #3 Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 09:42:27 pm by 12th Man CHS
I'm ready to post a guys poll

1. Dollarway
2. Subiaco
3. Monticello
4. Arkadelphia
5. Maumelle
6. Brookland
7. JB Westside
8. Farmington
9. Lincoln
10. Gravette

I put all three of the 4A-1 teams in my poll. I'll let these fix themselves during the season

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on January 08, 2014, 09:40:31 pm

1. Dollarway
2. Subiaco
3. Monticello
4. Arkadelphia
5. Maumelle
6. Brookland
7. JB Westside
8. Farmington
9. Lincoln
10. Gravette

I put all three of the 4A-1 teams in my poll. I'll let these fix themselves during the season

Thanks 12th Man!

WPWells

I see a lot of people putting their girls polls in the other thread. I think I'll include those in the rankings as well

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on January 08, 2014, 09:48:10 pm
I see a lot of people putting their girls polls in the other thread. I think I'll include those in the rankings as well

sounds good

WPWells

I've decided that I'm finally comfortable with my girls poll

1. Malvern
2. CAC
3. Ozark
4. Brookland
5. Star City
6. Farmington
7. Pulaski Robinson
8. Cave City
9. Valley View
10. Prairie Grove

NEA Razorback olfan

Brookland, Valley View, and Cave City are all in the same confrrence. Should be some terrific games!

WPWells

It looks like the 4A-1 (Ozark, Farmington, PG) and 4A-3 (Brookland, VV, Cave City) are absolutely loaded

basketballfan3

Malvern, CAC, and Robinson are all in the 4A-7. Good thing the 4A-1, 4A-3, and 4A-7 are all in different regions. Should make for a lot of great games come state tournament time.

basketballfan3

I think on the boys side Lonoke should probably be in the top 10. I'm not sure who all they have played but I've heard they have a good record and I know they played Dollarway close and they seem to be everyone's pick for #1.

CoachRed10

Here we go!!

. Malvern
2. CAC
3. Ozark
4. Brookland
5. Star City
6. Farmington
7. Cave City
8. Pulaski Robinson
9. Valley View
10. Ozark
11. Lonoke
12 Prairie Grove

WPWells

You listed Ozark twice. Was that a mistake??

edghog

Quote from: CoachRed10 on January 10, 2014, 09:32:25 am
Here we go!!

. Malvern
2. CAC
3. Ozark
4. Brookland
5. Star City
6. Farmington
7. Cave City
8. Pulaski Robinson
9. Valley View
10. Ozark
11. Lonoke
12 Prairie Grove
I think Ozark at 3 & 10 is about right. Play like they did in the BofO tournament and prior to that and they are a solid 3. Play like they did against Farmtown and they are about 10th. Very sloppy play by both teams in that one. Some due to their opponent. Some not. Ozark walked & threw the ball away more in that game than all the games before that. Also, I didn't see the stats but I bet that was one of the lowest shooting % by Ozark this year. They couldn't seem to hit anything.   

zebrafan69

Better watch out for dem Dway Cardinals I seen them in the PB tourney and they looked good at times

CoachRed10

Quote from: edghog on January 10, 2014, 10:36:00 am
Quote from: CoachRed10 on January 10, 2014, 09:32:25 am
Here we go!!

1. Malvern
2. CAC
3. Ozark
4. Brookland
5. Star City
6. Farmington
7. Cave City
8. Pulaski Robinson
9. Valley View
10. Ozark
11. Lonoke
12 Prairie Grove
I think Ozark at 3 & 10 is about right. Play like they did in the BofO tournament and prior to that and they are a solid 3. Play like they did against Farmtown and they are about 10th. Very sloppy play by both teams in that one. Some due to their opponent. Some not. Ozark walked & threw the ball away more in that game than all the games before that. Also, I didn't see the stats but I bet that was one of the lowest shooting % by Ozark this year. They couldn't seem to hit anything.

Yeah I put Ozark there because I haven't seen them but I have read a lot about them. Actually I think they should be ahead of Robinson, until Robinson prove themselves. They got a big game tonight against CAC. Most of that top 10 have won 9 games or more, and haven't lost more than 3 games. I don't think the 4A-7 is as strong this year, but they could surprise some people. I would like to see Cave City play better quality teams. They played a lot of smaller schools. Brookland looks strong, but I think this year will be up for grabs for the team that gets hot at the end.

OldTimeCager

Based on early conference results, you've got Subiaco overrated.  Maumelle ran through the first half of conference play undefeated.  I'd swap Suby and Maumelle in your rankings.  On the 1-4A teams; they have rarely competed well at the State level beyond regional.  Huntsville a few years back was a rare exception when they won it all.  Lincoln is now 15-0 and manhandled Gravette the other night.  Lincoln has earned a 6 or 7th place ranking in your list.  I don't see Farmington as a top 10 team, especially considering the conference's history.  I think the 1-4A overall is slightly down from previous years.  Gravette is not a top 10 team because of inconsistency and their tendency to play down/up to the level or their competition (Lincoln game excluded).  However, Gravette is a dangerous team and capable of beating any 4A team in the state if they are playing their best. 

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on January 08, 2014, 09:40:31 pm

1. Dollarway
2. Subiaco
3. Monticello
4. Arkadelphia
5. Maumelle
6. Brookland
7. JB Westside
8. Farmington
9. Lincoln
10. Gravette

WPWells

Posted that poll before Subi and Maumelle played

Basketball13

All I can say is that the 4A North Regional is going to be a great showing! I won't be surprised if a winner of the state comes from this region at all. Anything can happen. If you remember last year, Subiaco held the 1 from the 4A-4 and got upset by Lincoln. Booneville wasn't expected to do anything and ended up making the state tournament. Be sure to try and make these games if you get a chance because I imagine you will be impressed.

WPWells

I'm pumped that the North Regional is in Lincoln-right down the road from me!

NEA Razorback olfan

Girls

1 Malvern
2 CAC
3 Brookland
4 Ozark
5 Farmington
6 Valley View
7 Star City
8 Cave City
9 Robinson
10 Lonoke

PASS

Girls:

1 Malvern
2 CAC
3 Brookland
4 Star City
5 Farmington
6 Ozark
7 Valley View
8 Cave City
9 Prairie Grove
10 Robinson

StevenGlen

I must smile at these rankings as none of the most recent postings have either of Pottsville's teams ranked.  The Apaches are the defending 4A State Champions, 9-2 in conference play with splits playing Subiaco and Maumelle.  Currently I believe the Apaches are tied for second in the 4-4A with Subiaco and would have the second seed into the first round of the playoffs via point differential.  Pottsville may have been missed after getting off to a 1-2 start in the league but have won 8 in a row since that start. The splits with Subi and Maumelle have been each team defending their home court.  May I point out that the 4-4A District tournament is in Pottsville?  The Apaches are the State Champions until someone knocks them out of the post season tournament, and that may happen but it hasn't yet.  Shouldn't that be worth at least a top 10 ranking??

The Lady Apaches are a perfect 8-0 in league play although they still have a tough game at second place Dover.  Don't both the Lady Pirates and Lady Apaches at least deserve some top 10 consideration?

I'm not going to offer a top 10 as all that I see are 4-4A teams.  However, there are some teams that I just sort of automatically assume are going to be good on the ladies side.  I'm not surprised to see Ozark, Farmington, and Prairie Grove getting some deserved love in the polls. 

WPWells

You are correct. Pottsville was overlooked because of their poor start. However, I'd say that how they're certainly a top 10 team. I'd probably have them #7 right now

PASS

Stevenglen, I will only speak to the girls side. I have not voted for Pottsville in top 10 because of there game with CAC, which was a 53-31 loss. The game was actually more lopsided than the score. I will say that it is hard to judge a team on 1 game, but that 1 game was bad enough to keep them out of top 10 to me at this point. Hopefully they continue to improve and prove their detractors wrong about them.

ATU

The Subi boys are not top 10 from what i seen of them.

WPWells

ATU you're always bitter. No team is ever any good in your opinion

ATU

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on February 05, 2014, 11:39:48 pm
ATU you're always bitter. No team is ever any good in your opinion
I'm not bitter at all and i never said they wasn't any good.Just not playing well right now.They might win it all for all i no.

AT

Was Pottsville not fully healthy in the Alma tournament? I mean Farmington and Gravette beat them...and Gravette beat them pretty good.

WPWells

They've turned the corner. They were beat by both Subi and Maumelle the first time around and then recorded double-digit wins the second time

NEA Razorback olfan

Girls 2/8/14
1 Malvern
2 CAC
3 Ozark
4 Star City
5 Brookland
6 Farmington
7 Valley View
8 Cave City
9 Prarie Grove
10 Robinson

WPWells

hasbeen03

Quote from: Almatrackster on February 07, 2014, 04:24:43 pm
Was Pottsville not fully healthy in the Alma tournament? I mean Farmington and Gravette beat them...and Gravette beat them pretty good.

Pottsville took some time to gain chemistry (7 contributors graduated) and understand what Thurman was asking (he probably mentioned that 10 times in interviews, so you know it was getting on his nerves!) but they have figured out the type of team they'll need to be to win. Not saying they're winning state again (looking back, that team last year was LOADED) but they will be a very tough out. That Maumelle/Subi week was huge and the Subi win was the most impressive I've seen outside of maybe Dollarway and Monticello last year.

The way they played in those early games this year doesn't compare to how they're playing now.

justin1a2

What about Heber's girls?  I know there conference is real weak but I think they deserve to be in the bottom part of that list.  They are consistently beating bad teams easily.  That's all they can do. 

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: justin1a2 on February 12, 2014, 07:04:36 pm
What about Heber's girls?  I know there conference is real weak but I think they deserve to be in the bottom part of that list.  They are consistently beating bad teams easily.  That's all they can do.

They probably do, I just haven't seen them play this year. I know the lost to Cave City by 4 early in the year ,so I imagine they are pretty tough.

OldTimeCager

Quote from: Almatrackster on February 07, 2014, 04:24:43 pm

Excellent point Almatrackster.  I believe there have only been two games played between the 1-4A and the 4-4A.  Pottsville v. #2 Farmington and v. #3 Gravette.  Pottsville lost both.  Advantage 1-4A.

WPWells

Look at the difference between Pottsville then and Pottsville now...

OldTimeCager

Sounds like Pottsville wants a rematch with Gravette.  It may happen next week!  Lions by 20.

AT

I saw 2 games each of Pottsville, Farmington, and Gravette. Have not seen Lincoln, Maumelle, or Subiaco this year, so I can't speak to them...

Alma played Gravette in the semi finals of their tournament and Farmington in the finals, but after the tournament was over, I got the impression that Gravette was the better team. Alma was up 20 on them, but Pierce and Troutner led a furious comeback and got within 4 at one point before falling short.

Farmington was a completely different type of team which did not match up well with Alma. They were somewhat big (maybe long is a better word), but didn't really have a true PG and Alma used their quickness to cause them big problems. There was a point in the first half where Farmington couldn't get the ball across half court for 4 or 5 possessions straight. Farmington never let Alma get away too far, but it was never close.

I was surprised to see Farmington doing better in conference than Gravette. I figured even if Farmington had the better overall starting 5, that Gravette would have the 2 best players on the court if they played. I guess that shows what I know and maybe Farmington's length causes Troutner and Pierce some problems. Farmington played a zone defense against Alma and played it very well.

Pottsville didn't impress me that much. Perry was a good player, but he was struggling at Alma. Yet even with all that said, I think Farmington only beat Pottsville on a late 3 pointer. Like I said, I came away more impressed with Gravette out of all the 4 teams out of that tournament.

Gravette smoked Pottsville in the 3rd place game.

I would like to see this regional tournament, but probably won't be able too. Pottsville has definitely done something right during conference, though.

hasbeen03

Quote from: Almatrackster on February 17, 2014, 02:42:41 pm
I saw 2 games each of Pottsville, Farmington, and Gravette. Have not seen Lincoln, Maumelle, or Subiaco this year, so I can't speak to them...

Alma played Gravette in the semi finals of their tournament and Farmington in the finals, but after the tournament was over, I got the impression that Gravette was the better team. Alma was up 20 on them, but Pierce and Troutner led a furious comeback and got within 4 at one point before falling short.

Farmington was a completely different type of team which did not match up well with Alma. They were somewhat big (maybe long is a better word), but didn't really have a true PG and Alma used their quickness to cause them big problems. There was a point in the first half where Farmington couldn't get the ball across half court for 4 or 5 possessions straight. Farmington never let Alma get away too far, but it was never close.

I was surprised to see Farmington doing better in conference than Gravette. I figured even if Farmington had the better overall starting 5, that Gravette would have the 2 best players on the court if they played. I guess that shows what I know and maybe Farmington's length causes Troutner and Pierce some problems. Farmington played a zone defense against Alma and played it very well.

Pottsville didn't impress me that much. Perry was a good player, but he was struggling at Alma. Yet even with all that said, I think Farmington only beat Pottsville on a late 3 pointer. Like I said, I came away more impressed with Gravette out of all the 4 teams out of that tournament.

Gravette smoked Pottsville in the 3rd place game.

I would like to see this regional tournament, but probably won't be able too. Pottsville has definitely done something right during conference, though.

Pottsville has a tough road out of DISTRICT. If I'm right, they'll end up with Subi on Thursday and if they squeak by, Maumelle in the final. It's at home, but that is tough. They are much improved though, because I saw them early and they looked like a hot mess. They don't anymore.

redfire75

March 07, 2014, 10:09:06 am #41 Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 10:12:10 am by redfire75

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas