• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas basketball 2018-2019

Started by beach bum, November 07, 2018, 11:18:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldoghistorian

beach bum

Quote from: bulldoghistorian on March 18, 2019, 11:45:28 am
Gafford won't play in the NIT!

Smart move on his part.... The NIT is honestly a pointless tournament. Hope nothing but the best for him in the NBA.

dirtybird12

I still think it is unlikely Mike is shown the door. Will be interesting to see how the Hogs handle the quick turnaround going up to Providence. This game could be a harbinger of things to come since we will not have Gafford next year.

Romeo

beach bum

Quote from: Romeo on March 18, 2019, 07:28:06 pm
A Warren Lumberjack wrote this: http://hitthatline.com/gafford-not-playing-in-nit-disrespects-teammates-coaches-ua-fans/

Lol... Ok. He should have never came back in the first place. We were lucky to have him another year. And who cares what the fans think. They don't own Daniel Gafford and his ability to make a smart business decision. Only first round picks are promised a contract, not 2nd round picks. He blows his knee out he quickly becomes 2nd round, not around 20-25 where he is projected as far as what I mostly see. And his teammates are smart enough to not care about it cause they know its his financial decision to better himself and family. And last, who cares what fans think again. There are bigger fish to fry than being a Razorback when you have a shot at the NBA to make money. Has any person seen what marginal NBA players make now. Heck, JJ Redick made 22 million in a season.

Again, I never questioned Daniel's effort. Thank you for being a Hog DG. It was fun to watch you play. Hope you get to that second contract after year 4 cause that's where they big bucks come. Just watch what Bobby Portis signs for this summer. He is just a marginal player by NBA standards and he may sign a 60 million plus deal over 4 or 5 years depending on where he goes. Our fans can be so ignorant sometimes. Players owe you nothing fans.....

beach bum

The guy that wrote it sounds jealous to be honest of a young mans success. He also sounds like someone who has no clue that there are bigger things than college for guys who are going to get drafted. That mindset will happen when you have never lived anywhere, but Arkansas to see pro sports on a daily basis. I hope any player who could be one and done or two and done never comes to the U of A no matter who the coach is in the future for decades to come because of our ignorant fan base who does not understand the finances behind NBA contracts. I've seen so many comments from fans who don't have a clue.

Again, go get PAID Daniel

bdubyab60

Quote from: dirtybird12 on March 18, 2019, 03:17:25 pm
I still think it is unlikely Mike is shown the door. Will be interesting to see how the Hogs handle the quick turnaround going up to Providence. This game could be a harbinger of things to come since we will not have Gafford next year.
And rumors of a least 4 others leaving. 2 that played heavy minutes

bdubyab60

As far as Gafford leaving. Any fan giving that young man flack for leaving is a jack wagon and just mad cause they think it hurts our chances of keeping Anderson for some reason.

Gafford played his heart out and is now going to get developed the way he should. Kids got a lot of potential and I wish him nothing but the best.

Trojanbird

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 18, 2019, 08:21:47 pm
And rumors of a least 4 others leaving. 2 that played heavy minutes
We better cut our losses while we can!
FIRE MIKE!

bigworm

Thanks Big Dan!! Good luck! Thanks for being a hog! If only all the other Arkansas kids would've stayed at home like Dan did. I wish him nuthn but the best. Go make that money.

beach bum

Ethan Henderson actually doing some positive things.... Providence literally looks asleep while it looks like we have the fresh legs.

beach bum

And we actually found a team that shoots free throws worse than us.... Seriously they can't make anything.

beach bum

Rematch with Indiana coming up... Great job by the guys. Providence looked so slow and sluggish. They would have been ran out of the gym on a nightly basis in the SEC.

AirWarren

I didn't watch but it seems like players played last night. Meaning, not hesitating and waiting to see what "big dan was going to do".

bdubyab60

You would figure the coach would be able to get the players to play with and without Dan through the regular season

bigworm

That was an ugly game. Providence may be a good team but they were terrible last night.

bdubyab60

I didn't watch but heard. Not only from fans but people who are usually all hogs on the radio and media.

Providence was slow and looked like they didn't wanna be there for the most part. Widened lane and extended 3 point line were to our advantage. I like the win but not reading to much in to it.

Rumors have calmed and looks like MA will be back. If he is any thing less than a tourney appearance and absolutely must win two in the tourney. No if ands or buts about it. That just my expectation.

This program is better than what it's been period. Just fired two people for mediocre performance.

Bama and Vandy let coaches go as well. We weren't as bad as those two schools but we should have higher standards than middle of the pack. Especially in basketball

beach bum

Playing well early... That #13 is the only thing hurting us right now in the paint without Gafford. He is going to have his way today, we just got to keep the perimeter guys in check like we are so far.

beach bum

Both teams playing hard, you can't say they don't care about this one. The games getting a little bit more up and down with some aggressive play on defense.

bdubyab60

Gabe and Bailey are nightmares offensively. Literally the reason IU is leading right now. Inside game from IU seems to be a bad match up for is but they can't handle our drive.

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 23, 2019, 12:38:17 pm
Gabe and Bailey are nightmares offensively. Literally the reason IU is leading right now. Inside game from IU seems to be a bad match up for is but they can't handle our drive.

Too much for us in the paint, and their fans are insane for an NIT game. Way better than the few games I went to in person at Bud Walton where literally half our own crowd is yelling at our players to shoot when there is still 15 seconds left on the shot clock and hounding our own team.

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on March 23, 2019, 12:46:32 pm
Too much for us in the paint, and their fans are insane for an NIT game. Way better than the few games I went to in person at Bud Walton where literally half our own crowd is yelling at our players to shoot when there is still 15 seconds left on the shot clock and hounding our own team.
Yeah they have a good crowd. I'm kinda of hounding them now for dribbling to much. Some of the same weaknesses keeping popping up.

I expected a competitive game. But we aren't better without Gafford in the paint. This is a team with athletes as well. We need more scoring options. Our bench has 5 points at last check

beach bum

How on Earth does Bailey miss that shot?? Now Gabe just missed two free throws instead

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on March 23, 2019, 12:55:00 pm
How on Earth does Bailey miss that shot?? Now Gabe just missed two free throws instead
What did I just say. And they are starting over Henderson and Chaney just because they are upperclassmen. I admire hustle but they cost us all year long

beach bum

Season over....

Next year will be the year MA is gone or he buys himself time. We'll be watching a page turning moment in Arkansas basketball either way it goes next year. People who want MA gone will get that if we have another poor year. People that want MA around better hope we get to the tourney and do something next year or March of 2020 will be MA's last in Fayetteville. These players need to show some improvement in the offseason. Our defense is fully capable of being a really good team. Some guys are going to have to take their offensive game to another level or we'll be in the same boat all over again next year.

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 23, 2019, 01:05:28 pm
What did I just say. And they are starting over Henderson and Chaney just because they are upperclassmen. I admire hustle but they cost us all year long

Yes, Chaney needed to be in there!!

bdubyab60

I stated my expectations earlier. With what we have returning and if MA can swallow some pride and play his best players the most minutes, replace Gafford with a serviceable big then the conference is a little weaker next year.

LSU is about to lose its coach probably and recruiting should take a hit, Tenner graduates half its roster, Ole miss graduates its best players, MSU the same, Bama and Vandy in rebuild mode. Florida graduates a few I think.

If everyone stays except for the couple of minor transfers since Jones said he was staying. We should have a good core returning. That should be an upper 3rd SEC squad, anything less he should go. Anything less in the tourney than what I stayed earlier he should go.

Wins of relevance need to be won period. We aren't some mid major to settle for an upset every once in a while

beach bum

March 23, 2019, 01:47:02 pm #377 Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:49:23 pm by beach bum
Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 23, 2019, 01:33:42 pm
I stated my expectations earlier. With what we have returning and if MA can swallow some pride and play his best players the most minutes, replace Gafford with a serviceable big then the conference is a little weaker next year.

LSU is about to lose its coach probably and recruiting should take a hit, Tenner graduates half its roster, Ole miss graduates its best players, MSU the same, Bama and Vandy in rebuild mode. Florida graduates a few I think.

If everyone stays except for the couple of minor transfers since Jones said he was staying. We should have a good core returning. That should be an upper 3rd SEC squad, anything less he should go. Anything less in the tourney than what I stayed earlier he should go.

Wins of relevance need to be won period. We aren't some mid major to settle for an upset every once in a while

Totally agree with all that.... And I'd love to see us make some progress to get to the top 3 or 4 in the conference cause the SEC is definitely going to take a step back like you said. And I really wish we could do something in postseason. But we got to win at the Bud regularly again. Get back to just a loss or two each year. If not, it will be a long year again.

bdubyab60

I agree and then it should maintained with an occasional drop with higher peaks. Enough of the middle of the pack.

Even folks I work with who are fans of so called blue blood programs say Arkansas is no worse than the top 2 or 3 in the SEC. it's time to take our place back

bdubyab60

And at the end of the day this is simple. Enough about rumors and crap.

It's this simple. You at the totality of what he's done. Has that met expectations. Look at what we AH e coming backs d is that going to meet your expectations. Hard to tell on the this but you have to base it in the totality of his career and what he's done here. If he has met your expectations then you keep him and move forward. One other factor will eventually be ticket sales as well.

If not you move on from it and try and get someone new.

Memphis did this as Tubby was driving Memphis in to the ground. They couldn't afford it but they did it. They will be more relevant than Us next year with a top 10 recruiting class and the #1 recruit coming in. Memphis May have averaged more in attendance than us based on Hardaway alone

Lumberjackfan1978

It Will probably be another long year.It is what it is.

dirtybird12

So, Kelvin Sampson to the Razorbacks after the season ends? His team plays tough and will beat Kentucky this week.

He has a good relationship with Yuracheck and Arkansas is (perceivably) a step up from Houston. Thoughts?

Former, Coach Jacobs

Quote from: dirtybird12 on March 25, 2019, 11:06:39 am
So, Kelvin Sampson to the Razorbacks after the season ends? His team plays tough and will beat Kentucky this week.

He has a good relationship with Yuracheck and Arkansas is (perceivably) a step up from Houston. Thoughts?

He will have bigger opportunities. He's one of the best. IF Mike was let go Yuracheck would hit a home run if he could hire Sampson. I can't see it though. The big boys will be calling after what he's done at Houston.

dirtybird12

Quote from: Former, Coach Jacobs on March 25, 2019, 11:14:08 am
He will have bigger opportunities. He's one of the best. IF Mike was let go Yuracheck would hit a home run if he could hire Sampson. I can't see it though. The big boys will be calling after what he's done at Houston.
If we are not considered a big boy, then what is your criteria for a big boy? I think we classify being in a power conference, huge arena, only major basketball team in the state.. huge potential.

Trojanbird

bdubyab60

Yep he's gone. Looks like something changed after they had a meeting yesterday.

Hope they don't bungle this coaching search

Romeo

Hate to see MA get fired but I think it's time for a new direction.

dirtybird12

Romeo

My dream coach would be Buzz Williams. He wanted the job in 2011. He's probably Texas A&M's primary target though.

bulldoghistorian

bdubyab60

Rumors are already a swirling on the ville. Folks who predicted MA being out say our top two targets are still in the big dance, both interested and Hogs will Ingram to pay for the right guy 4 mil.

Sampson, Williams and Beard atemy guesses.

Who knows though

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on March 26, 2019, 05:00:29 pm
Hate to see MA get fired but I think it's time for a new direction.

Agreed. Just didnt pan out.

Romeo

I would say Sampson and Williams. I'd be very surprised if Beard left Texas Tech. He loves in West Texas, for some strange reason. Tech is dream job and his daughters are close by.

Lumberjackfan1978

bleudog

bulldoghistorian

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on March 26, 2019, 06:56:46 pm
I would say Sampson and Williams. I'd be very surprised if Beard left Texas Tech. He loves in West Texas, for some strange reason. Tech is dream job and his daughters are close by.

Believe he is from Lubbock.

Can't blame him though. God bless Texas.

CageMonsterNWA

bulldoghistorian

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas