• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 STATE FINALS SCHEDULE(Played in Benton)

Started by Brian G, May 12, 2018, 06:49:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

May 12, 2018, 06:49:45 pm Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:38:09 am by B.G.
7A – Bentonville vs Bentonville West
6A-  Marion vs Sheridan
5A – Farmington vs Greenbrier
4A – Bauxite vs Pottsville
3A – Harmony Grove vs Rose Bud
2A – Poyen vs Quitman
1A – Concord vs Taylor

A factor in play here for the first time is the UA Softball team might be hosting a Regional.  Full times announced by AAA on Sunday.  Games normally are Fri/Sat.  Might see some adjustments if UA has a regional softball event.

Brian G

Hearing that Conway might host the Softball at UCA is Bogel Park in Fayetteville isn't available.

Brian G

NCAA announces their softball bracket at 9:00 p.m. Sunday night.

If the UA finds out in advance if they host, the AAA's schedule will reflect that.  If they don't know beforehand, I'd guess they do a Plan A/Plan B.

Brian G

SOFTBALL
FRIDAY
10:00 2A Poyen vs Quitman
12:30 4A Bauxite vs Pottsville
3:00 1A Taylor vs Concord
5:30 7A Bentonville vs Bentonville West
SATURDAY
10:00 5A Farmington vs Greenbrier
12:30 3A Rosebud vs Harmony Grove-H
3:00 6A Marion vs Sheridan

Brian G

May 13, 2018, 09:25:30 pm #4 Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 09:29:21 pm by B.G.
It was just announced the UA women will host their Regional in Fayetteville.

Expect the AAA to announce the Plan B location any minute now.

Conway it is.  We'll see if times stay the same.

OneHitWonder

What now?  UCA was selected to host the first round of the NISC.  The softball version of the NIT

OneHitWonder

Games will now be played at Benton High School.

3 Dollar

Quote from: OneHitWonder on May 14, 2018, 10:01:31 am
Games will now be played at Benton High School.

And your source for this knowledge would be?

SUGARTOWN

Bigleague

What a joke!!!!    Nice job AAA

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Bigleague on May 14, 2018, 10:08:53 am

How is it a joke? They can't help it that Arkansas softball is hosting a regional.

WHITEchicken

Stupid choice. I expect nothing different from the AAA

girlsbbfanatic

Quote from: WHITEchicken on May 14, 2018, 10:29:23 am
Stupid choice. I expect nothing different from the AAA
Exactly-What would be wrong with postponing the tournament and still having it at Bogel?

Brian G

Quote from: B.G. on May 13, 2018, 09:25:30 pm
It was just announced the UA women will host their Regional in Fayetteville.

Expect the AAA to announce the Plan B location any minute now.

Conway it is.  We'll see if times stay the same.

WHITEchicken

At least Benton is centrally locates instead of them moving it to Memphis or somewhere else.

vtown1

Quote from: girlsbbfanatic on May 14, 2018, 10:33:46 am
Exactly-What would be wrong with postponing the tournament and still having it at Bogel?

I agree with Benton High School being a poor choice, no slight to Benton it's a super nice complex just not big enough to host championship games. Only issue with postponing 1 weekend is that both U of A and UCA would have the possibility of still hosting  games in their respective tournaments.

OB11

I don't think any team would want to go 2 weeks without playing a game before playing for a state championship.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: OB11 on May 14, 2018, 11:22:25 am
I don't think any team would want to go 2 weeks without playing a game before playing for a state championship.

Correct. In addition, playing on Memorial Day weekend is not optimal either.

beach bum

Quote from: Bigleague on May 14, 2018, 10:08:53 am

Yea cause they totally saw all this coming  ::).... Let's host it at your home field I guess? Would that make you happy?

OB11

Something that makes Benton a good choice is that they have an all turf field (I think). This would help minimize potential rain issues and schedule changes.

beach bum

Quote from: OB11 on May 14, 2018, 11:34:10 am
Something that makes Benton a good choice is that they have an all turf field (I think). This would help minimize potential rain issues and schedule changes.

That may answer my question to the one poster who did not like the decision... Maybe he personally does not like the turf? I think they did well when having to come up with option C after all.....

Scrapper Faithful

May 14, 2018, 11:40:36 am #21 Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 11:42:54 am by Scrapper Faithful
No dog in this fight, but I would have loved to have seen them move it to Fayetteville High or even Fort Smith or Rogers, if their fields would accommodate the crowds.  I've not seen their fields, so maybe that wouldn't have been an option.  But, if it was, it would have been nice to allow fans to be in the area to watch the Boys state tourneys, the State soccer finals going on at U of A (I think this is the same weekend) or to watch the NCAA Regional that is going on at Bogel.  Nothing at all against Benton's facility.

OB11

Quote from: beach bum on May 14, 2018, 11:38:22 am
That may answer my question to the one poster who did not like the decision... Maybe he personally does not like the turf? I think they did well when having to come up with option C after all.....

I'm almost positive they have an all turf field. At first I wasn't sure how they landed on Benton but then I remembered that they had turf.

My only issue with it is that probably between 95%-99% of games in Arkansas are played on natural surfaces. There's no doubt it is different playing on turf. So having the biggest game of the year on a turf field I'm a little iffy on.

way2go

softballfan13

Benton's field is dirt infield and turf outfield. I agree that Benton has a very nice complex but, the kids work very hard to get to play in that environment in Fayetteville. I think they could have played the games on Monday/Tuesday of next week or at least played the finals at Bentonville, Farmington, or Rogers. It would have been nice to get to watch the regional tournament at Bogle and still watch the softball/baseball finals.

Ozark Hog

AAA is a joke as always, all they care about is the money! They held 4-A  regional this year at Lincoln and the fields were terrible. In the middle of no where with no hotels or places to eat. Its all about who is gonna pad their pocket so they can pay the big money to the people in charge!

WHITEchicken

The only reason to ever have the state championship in Fayetteville is to play at the U of A. If you can't play it there then why in the world would anyone think that Fayetteville, Rogers, Fort Smith or anything other than a central Arkansas venue is crazy.

Bigleague

Quote from: Ozark Hog on May 14, 2018, 12:55:58 pm
AAA is a joke as always, all they care about is the money! They held 4-A  regional this year at Lincoln and the fields were terrible. In the middle of no where with no hotels or places to eat. Its all about who is gonna pad their pocket so they can pay the big money to the people in charge!

Absolutely

MUSTANGSALLY23

Quote from: softballfan13 on May 14, 2018, 12:12:23 pm
Benton's field is dirt infield and turf outfield. I agree that Benton has a very nice complex but, the kids work very hard to get to play in that environment in Fayetteville. I think they could have played the games on Monday/Tuesday of next week or at least played the finals at Bentonville, Farmington, or Rogers. It would have been nice to get to watch the regional tournament at Bogle and still watch the softball/baseball finals.

You can't schedule them for Monday/Tuesday not knowing if Arkansas wins the region. They will need their facility for practice for super's.

Brian G

May 14, 2018, 01:22:23 pm #29 Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 02:21:43 pm by B.G.
I'll weigh in speaking for just myself....

This is a special circumstance but unfortunate.  The initial issue with playing in Fayetteville was a first time deal and one that was prepared for in advance.  Props up for that.

But the Conway deal is a goof.  At the minimum, UCA had to know there was a chance it could happen and should have shared it with the AAA.  If they didn't, shame on them and they're compromised as a host in the future.  If they did share it, then shame on the AAA who should have just skipped the Conway step to avoid what has happened now.

It's a tough nugget to crack.  Game at the UA field are special.

There are many reasons to not push it back.  I agree with playing on the same dates.

SUGARTOWN

May 14, 2018, 01:52:18 pm #30 Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 01:57:32 pm by SUGARTOWN
Quote from: Ozark Hog on May 14, 2018, 12:55:58 pm

How did the AAA "pad their pocket" from this tourney being in Lincoln? You think Lincoln paid them a ton of money for the right to host?

Also, Lincoln was the only school to bid, so you can't really blame the AAA for this one. No other school wanted to host apparently.

hogdiggity

They should hold this thing at Conway at the City of Colleges Park.  It is a very nice facility.  They could hold the hole thing at UCA in one day if they wanted.  There are multiple fields at the facility that are first class.  I know the allure of playing in Fayetteville, but it is hard to get there from a lot of the state, a central spot would be much more convenient for the majority of Arkansas 

Brian G

If it didn't rain, you can look at many scenarios.

But the college stuff is going to trump on their own field.

As far as location, that argument is always going to be there and be discussed.

Personally, when it comes to a state final I want it on the best possible venue in the state.

kcrdrt

I copied this from Facebook.  Email your opinion. Fix the problem.

—————————————

Well, I was ask to post and pass this along for everyone and anyone interested and to please share.  The State Championships for Softball for all Classes were suppose to be playing in Fayetteville Ar. at Razorback Bogle Park this Friday & Saturday. Now, since they are hosting Regional Games at Bogle now, the AAA then moved all games to UCA University in Conway which was great, but now the AAA has changed it again to playing all games at Benton High School.  For those that are not happy with playing at a High School instead of a College University you can send email to julia@ahsaa.org  This is not anything bad towards Benton High School by any means.  This is a major event that only happens once a year and all the girls from all teams should be allowed to play on or at a University with a much bigger stage then this.  From my understanding Arkansas Tech University would love to host the games and is willing to bring in much more seating to accommodate as long as the AAA will allow it.  So, if you would like to petition to change the all games to be played at Arkansas Tech University send in your email today!  Please share and pass along if you would like this changed.  Thank you!!

hogdiggity

Quote from: B.G. on May 14, 2018, 02:24:50 pm

Personally, when it comes to a state final I want it on the best possible venue in the state.

Do you support this for all sports?  If so, Football isn't in the best venue in the state by far.  Why not have Track at one of the universities instead of all over the state?  Softball and Baseball are the only two sports with Championships to be played in Fayetteville, I think.

purpleswag

Quote from: kcrdrt on May 14, 2018, 09:34:52 pm
I copied this from Facebook.  Email your opinion. Fix the problem.

—————————————

Well, I was ask to post and pass this along for everyone and anyone interested and to please share.  The State Championships for Softball for all Classes were suppose to be playing in Fayetteville Ar. at Razorback Bogle Park this Friday & Saturday. Now, since they are hosting Regional Games at Bogle now, the AAA then moved all games to UCA University in Conway which was great, but now the AAA has changed it again to playing all games at Benton High School.  For those that are not happy with playing at a High School instead of a College University you can send email to julia@ahsaa.org  This is not anything bad towards Benton High School by any means.  This is a major event that only happens once a year and all the girls from all teams should be allowed to play on or at a University with a much bigger stage then this.  From my understanding Arkansas Tech University would love to host the games and is willing to bring in much more seating to accommodate as long as the AAA will allow it.  So, if you would like to petition to change the all games to be played at Arkansas Tech University send in your email today!  Please share and pass along if you would like this changed.  Thank you!!

Uh...Tech would be a downgrade from Benton High School

OB11

This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but I've always been a little perplexed about why the state championship games have to be on a university field. Every game the teams play all year are on a school field/city park. Then the biggest game of their lives is in a totally different environment. I totally understand the seating aspect. More people are probably going to be at a state championship game. But that's not always the case. It may be a big deal to play at Bogle or even UCA but I would be willing to bet the teams would play anywhere as long as it is for a state championship. I don't think playing it at a high school is a disservice to the teams and coaches at all. I'm sure some of them are disappointed, but the trophy will still say state champions after the game.

Nomad1324

Quote from: OB11 on May 15, 2018, 11:49:20 am
This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but I've always been a little perplexed about why the state championship games have to be on a university field. Every game the teams play all year are on a school field/city park. Then the biggest game of their lives is in a totally different environment. I totally understand the seating aspect. More people are probably going to be at a state championship game. But that's not always the case. It may be a big deal to play at Bogle or even UCA but I would be willing to bet the teams would play anywhere as long as it is for a state championship. I don't think playing it at a high school is a disservice to the teams and coaches at all. I'm sure some of them are disappointed, but the trophy will still say state champions after the game.

+1

beach bum

I kind of like the college venue for nostalgia.... But in all honesty what you are saying makes more sense. You make a very good point.

BW2015

Honestly it's not any different than the basketball finals being at Hot Springs at Bank of the Ozarks arena.  The kids like and deserve a bigger stage for the finals.  They play for that all year.  I also think the AAA dodged a bullet with no school having baseball and softball teams in the finals.  I can only imagine how upset, and rightfully so,  the school would be if their softball team was in one part of the state and the baseball team in a completely different part. 

OB11

Quote from: BW2015 on May 15, 2018, 12:26:15 pm
Honestly it's not any different than the basketball finals being at Hot Springs at Bank of the Ozarks arena.  The kids like and deserve a bigger stage for the finals.  They play for that all year.  I also think the AAA dodged a bullet with no school having baseball and softball teams in the finals.  I can only imagine how upset, and rightfully so,  the school would be if their softball team was in one part of the state and the baseball team in a completely different part.

But the Bank of the Ozarks arena is comparable to some high school gyms. Probably not many that seats that much but it's not a whole lot nicer than some high school venues. I personally have more beef with the football finals being played at War Memorial than I do with baseball/softball being played at UofA.

maxswine

It would have to be a lot more seating for Tech.  And I'm not sure where they would put it.  Down the right field line?  Behind the outfield fence?  If I remember correctly, it's an odd set up.

Ozark Hog

So how many seats are available at the Benton school?

Brian G

Quote from: hogdiggity on May 15, 2018, 08:30:26 am
Do you support this for all sports?
In a word, "yes".

But I'm fine with the mixture of some sports each having their own set location.  Spring sports in NWA at the UA, football in LR, basketball at Hot Springs and All-Star in Conway is a pretty fair mix.

Several key elements come into play though. Availability of the fields/arena and a local school/community that will do ALL the thankless work required is huge.

Quality venue is paramount. It doesn't have to be the largest but has to be large enough.  The area has to have parking, seating,safety, hotels and more to be a good choice.

The UA is simply not interested in hosting the football if if might conflict with the cash cow that is Hog football.  Basketball is a little tricky for the UA as well.  You can argue there are many very good venues for both football and basketball that would fit the need.  And if the UA isn't offering up DWR or BWA, then the discussion is over before it starts.

On the Spring Sports, the UA is done with Soccer so that's an easy one. Baseball for the Hogs is scheduled so they are on the road(Conference tournament is the next week) for the FINALS.  Softball has been an easy one because the NCAA tournament was not in play for many years.  This year was the first time ever(14 years?) the program was good enough to host. 

Though fun to tease, the AAA was caught in a tough spot here.  They were ready with a PLan B and I give them credit but having to go to the Plan C has to be embarrassing.  But what were they supposed to do?  They don't have their OWN field to use.  You can't push it back unless you have to(Weather) and even that is tough as you deal with graduations and availability of all involved.

So that's my answer.

Mulerider4Life

+1, I think it's a big deal that you are in a Championship. Doesn't matter where you play.

riccoar

Quote from: Ozark Hog on May 15, 2018, 05:21:57 pm
So how many seats are available at the Benton school?
At the 22 or 23 second mark, you can see the stands in the upper left of the screen in this video of the sports complex

doober3

I asked my daughter about this.  She played in State playoffs her last 3 years of HS but never made the championship game.  She said that for all the girls on her team they were looking forward to playing at Bogle.  She said it was kind of a "reward" to look forward to.
So I'd say that the players want something bigger...not a HS field. 
I understand that the trophy will still say state champions but just letting you know what one players opinion is..

maxswine

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but why don't they just play it at the U of A but like on Monday and Tuesday? 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas