• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Elkins/Cedarville

Started by adaptedtigerfan, October 21, 2015, 03:00:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

adaptedtigerfan

Can someone explain what went on there friday night?  Sounds like some big city stuff goin on up in Elkins.

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on October 21, 2015, 03:00:04 pm
Can someone explain what went on there friday night?  Sounds like some big city stuff goin on up in Elkins.

A guy who works with me who graduated from Elkins said it happened right after the game... Said as he was leaving several police cars pulled in... He was told it looked like a large group fighting...

AlumniLights

There was a time when Cedarville had a little more class represented at the head spot.

Sick Dog

its on IG or Facebook adapted! You can get the whole story on there.

Lineman

Cedarville & Elkins still play football?

Greenlndfan

Cedarville should be forced to forfeit the rest of the season and coach should be fired ! No room for any of that at a ball game or any where !! If my kid was one of the players surrounding a officer I would snatch him off the field myself !!

Proud Buckaroo

Absolutely the craziest thing I have ever read... I do hope the coach was removed from his position.

Maynard G Krebs

We may have a new redneck capital of Arkansas. Move over SC!

KOJACK

What a disgrace...and we wonder why our society is in the shape it's in... That will leave a bad impression on many kids involved  :'(

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on October 22, 2015, 08:57:39 am
We may have a new redneck capital of Arkansas. Move over SC!

It has been a sleeper and finally revealed itself... They should have tased him...

Missco

Sounds very interesting. The coach sounds like he lost it. However, their are always two sides to every story.

OLDSCHOOL82

I can't believe theirs not a video of it on twitter or IG.  Nothing goes unrecorded nowadays.

Brian G

The Elkins at Cedarville Jr high game for tonight was proactively cancelled.

wootothepig

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on October 22, 2015, 10:49:53 am
I can't believe theirs not a video of it on twitter or IG.  Nothing goes unrecorded nowadays.
There is a video on one of the news network's website. I can't remember which one. It wasn't great quality.

Missco

Things like this have always happend.

$aintMaximu$

Proud Buckaroo

Go to YouTube and search "cedarville at Elkins" you will see some clips recorded by some fans.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on October 22, 2015, 01:28:33 pm
Go to YouTube and search "cedarville at Elkins" you will see some clips recorded by some fans.

Im sure one of the teams has it on hudl!! With a good camera!  I'm sure it will be subpoenaed.

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on October 22, 2015, 01:28:33 pm

That didn't look as bad as what I was expecting... I am sure it will go viral and be on Dr. Drew in a week...

Proud Buckaroo

The announcer hollering "fans. Stay off the field." Then a fan said, "I'm going to help them." Lol.

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on October 22, 2015, 01:40:36 pm
The announcer hollering "fans. Stay off the field." Then a fan said, "I'm going to help them." Lol.
Fans says "I'm going to back them up"  Announcer "That thar is none of yar business"  Fan walks away like a whipped puppy... 

Shorttimer

Quote from: Missco on October 22, 2015, 10:40:54 am
Sounds very interesting. The coach sounds like he lost it. However, their are always two sides to every story.
There is no other side of the story that makes it acceptable to direct racial slurs at the opposing coach.

Brian G

Some video is out there.  Most of it shows the Elkins team off the field and the Cedarville coach and team still on the field.  You can see officials eventually leave and a cop or two left to handle a rough scene.

Proud Buckaroo

One of the video clips shows Elkins players trying to pull Cedarville players away from the circle. The rest of the video clips are showing cedarville team remain on the field.

Brian G

In order:

A one-sided "fight" between players started with about 1:00 left.
Officials and staffs were not able to get it to chill.
Refs called the game.
Fairly quickly, Elkins team leaves the field under direction of their staff.
Policeman tries to restore order.
Cedarville coach stays engaged and eventually his players close in.

Up until the Elkins team leaves the field, it's not an uncommon small town event.  The issue is the inability of the adults in charge to calm the situation and the continuation afterwards.

Proud Buckaroo

I absolutely agree with that. Fans were sprinting to the field to involve themselves with the dispute. I think as adults. They should have remained calm, and allowed the officials and police officers to handle the situation.

Brian G

The fans saw a near 50 on 1 scene developing on their local policeman.  I can sense their uneasiness with the matter.

I've spoken to 3 people right there and though some did go down to the field, most of them were more involved by just being scene as a defuser(?).  I don't blame that a lot.  It was better than the cop having to get really rowdy.

I of course can only relay what I heard from a trusted friend, but they said the racial part was not accurate.  If so, that's good.  It doesn't dismiss the other but it still would be good it didn't happen.

Proud Buckaroo

This all just baffles me because a few weeks ago I had posted about the Cedarville QB going up to the Dover Team and congratulated them, and that they were the most respectful team he had played against.

Brian G

Heat of the moment is a powerful thing.

Good people can do bad things.

Proud Buckaroo

Do we know what actually caused this?

Brian G

I can only speculate it was normal small scuffle that just got escalated. One side ready for it to be over and another side not.

A pure guess on my part was that Cedarville was not thrilled with the game being called with about a 1:00 to go.  They were down 10, so likely they were not going to win.

Nip/Tusk

I don't understand why this topic is allowed to be discussed. We're talking about the livelihood of a coach and presumably his family.

Fox32

Quote from: Josh Louin on October 22, 2015, 07:34:50 pm
I don't understand why this topic is allowed to be discussed. We're talking about the livelihood of a coach and presumably his family.
The Constitution guarantees the freedom of speculation.

Proud Buckaroo

It's all over facebook. Regardless if we are discussing it here or not. It's out for the public.

Lineman

I don't see anyone making negative or derogatory statements.

cdelaney

Fortunately FF posters don't get to decide if a coach keeps his job

Brian G

Cedarville admin has been understandably quiet on the matter.

However, they name an interim coach for the game tomorrow.

Nip/Tusk

There have been similar, but unrelated topics trashed on here before. I'll leave it at that.

Just curious how this one has been allowed to remain up and speculated upon.

Brian G

To this point, it's stayed in bounds.

adaptedtigerfan

Cause I started it, that's why

Missco

I can recall numerous incidents like this. I can recall to many to list them. That doesn't excuse this one but society has gone to PC.

Missco

I will mention one that is one of the worst ones. A coach that is now in NWA stopped his bus on the way out of town. He let two of his players off the bus and they jumped an opposing player from the home school at the gas station. Now days that coach would be fired and never coach again. This happened in 84.

hsindian

Quote from: Missco on October 22, 2015, 10:13:28 pm
I will mention one that is one of the worst ones. A coach that is now in NWA stopped his bus on the way out of town. He let two of his players off the bus and they jumped an opposing player from the home school at the gas station. Now days that coach would be fired and never coach again. This happened in 84.
I was somewhat involved in an incident similar to the one you described. It was a couple of years later and that coach is in the nw qtr of the state as well.

Missco

My all time favorite is the 1990 Westside brawl. The same year the Gosnell football coach decked a ref. at Harrisburg. 

Coach Venny Slocombe

Heat of the moment happens, the one thing about the video that bothers me is this, at the end of the video the Cedarville Coach has turned around directing his players the other way and a cop comes up from behind, looks like he grabs him and spins him around. Now, you don't know if the coach said anything or not either...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Missco on October 22, 2015, 11:42:47 pm
My all time favorite is the 1990 Westside brawl. The same year the Gosnell football coach decked a ref. at Harrisburg. 
Late 70's Greenwood at Mansfield...several fans from both towns arrested, state police called in and those two towns 12 miles apart have never played again...all because of one person from Mansfield...crazy...

Legend

Quote from: Josh Louin on October 22, 2015, 08:23:46 pm
There have been similar, but unrelated topics trashed on here before. I'll leave it at that.

Just curious how this one has been allowed to remain up and speculated upon.
Because its the coach (an adult) and not a player (minor) would be my guess. With the day and age of FB instaeverything whats different people talking about it on here and commenting on it on 5newsonline. Im sure the former NLR RB who passed away in a car wreck news story broke before all family and friends were notified. Why do you think the media is  only worried about who breaks the story first now days. They feel pressure to break a story before people can read about it on FB.

YC

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on October 23, 2015, 11:57:53 am
Late 70's Greenwood at Mansfield...several fans from both towns arrested, state police called in and those two towns 12 miles apart have never played again...all because of one person from Mansfield...crazy...

Why did you do it?

The only one I was ever involved in (I'm dating myself here) was at War Memorial Stadium when Tommy Bell called an Ole Miss field goal good that was obviously not good, giving the Rebels a win over Arkansas. An almost riot ensued and I got caught right in the middle of it.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: IofthaTiger on October 23, 2015, 12:26:27 pm
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on October 23, 2015, 11:57:53 am

Why did you do it?

The only one I was ever involved in (I'm dating myself here) was at War Memorial Stadium when Tommy Bell called an Ole Miss field goal good that was obviously not good, giving the Rebels a win over Arkansas. An almost riot ensued and I got caught right in the middle of it.

hahahahahahahaha...nice, but I was only 12 when it happened...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas