• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A State Interesting Matchups

Started by Sir Alex, May 09, 2014, 08:41:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Alex

As the bracket fills up tonight and 7 makes the updates, it looks like there will be some interesting matchups in round 1 and some even better in round two...   What games are the ones to watch?  This one is for Postal so he knows where to go....

Go Postal

May 09, 2014, 09:29:19 pm #1 Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 09:31:39 pm by Go Postal
Dang it, I have to work this year during the first round and quarterfinals games.  I need cell #'s from Harrison fans to text me to know what happened.  At least I got sevenof400's number from Vilonia.  Harrison fans, PM me on your cell #.  I told Coach Cleats today that I should be able to go to the semifinal game.  Dang the U.S. Postal Service not letting me off to see something as important as the 5A soccer playoffs.  Who do they think they are? ;D

sevenof400

After pondering this for a bit, I think the most interesting 1st round matchup on the girls side is Batesville vs Shiloh Christian.  Not so much as a result of whether or not Shiloh manipulated their last couple of conference games to get here - more for the fact that I think Batesville may be the type of matchup that poses difficulty for Shiloh. 

If Shilon continues their habit of sitting and waiting for the counter attack opportunities, Batesville is big enough and physical enough that they might wear down Shiloh Christian.  It would not shock me at all if Batesville were to win this game but the other possible outcome here is that even if Shiloh somehow wins, they may be so physically worn down that their next potential opponent (likely Hot Springs Lakeside) might be the primary beneficiary. 

On the boys side, I am looking at another East - West matchup in the opening round as likely the most interesting - Nettleton vs Huntsville.  Huntsville has improved this year and from other people's reports, it seems Huntsville is a much more physical team this year.  This game might be a game of mirror images as Nettleton can play physically as well.  The keys to this game might well be which team better manages their emotions PLUS how the referee crew manages this game. 

Looking at this from another point of view, here are the games I would chose to attend if I had no direct connection to any team....

8:00 am boys LRCA vs White Hall (since it is the only game at that time)
10:00 am girls White Hall vs Sylvan Hills
12:00 pm boys PA vs HS Lakeside
2:00 pm girls Batesville vs Shiloh Chrisitan
4:00 pm boys Nettleton vs Huntsville

Go Postal

May 15, 2014, 08:00:50 pm #3 Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:19:05 pm by Go Postal
Some of the round 1 (lower seeds beating higher seeds) upsets so far...
Girls:
W4 Morrilton 2 - E1 Nettleton 1 in OT. :o
C3 Sylvan Hills 1 - S2 White Hall 0
W3 Shiloh Christians 2 - E2 Batesville 1
Boys:
S3 HS Lakeside 3 - C2 PA 1 :o

Though it wasn't an upset, E1 Vilonia 4 - W4 Clarksville looked to be an edge on your seat game.  I kept getting texts on this game.  Eagles up 2-0 at half, Panthers come back to make it 2-2, then make PK for 3-2, Eagles come back and tied 3-3, then makes a winning goal for the four goal.  Congratulations to Clarksville on their 3 goal comeback in the 2nd half and Congratulations to Vilionia on keeping in there and not giving up to get the win.  Man, I can't wait until next cycle to see these two teams both in the West conference.

Moving on to quarterfinals matchups thoughts...
Girls:
W1 Harrison & C2 LRCA.  Playoff rivals.  It won't surprise me on who wins this game.  Both are good.  2013 State runner-up Harrison won last year in semis against LRCA.
W4 Morrilton & C3 Sylvan Hills.  I have no clue, but the winner will take on one of the two teams mentioned above.
S1 HS Lakeside & W3 Shiloh Christian.  Can the 2013 State Champs Lady Saints pull another win over Lakeside like they did in last year's semis?
C1 PA & W2 Greenbrier.  Does the Lady Panthers have what it takes to move to the semis this year against a good Lady Bruins?

Boys:
W1 Greenbrier & S3 HS Lakeside.  Looks to be a good matchup.  Greenbrier, West Conference champs vs Lakeside, on their win against C2 PA.
E1 Vilonia & S2 Hot Springs.  Not sure of this one.  HS did win by 3 in the 1st round and Vtown had a close good win with their talent against a good W4 Clarksville in the 1st round.
S1 DeQueen & E2 Nettleton.  DeQueen is still undefeated again this year, so far.  Does Nettleton have enough stamina and talent to upset DQ as Harrison did in the semis last year?  We will see.
C1 LRCA & W2 Harrison.  Playoff rivals.  2013 State Champs and State Runner-up.  I won't be surprised on who wins this game.  The winner will maybe take on a good DeQueen in the semis.

These are my thoughts and comments/insights are welcomed.

Sir Alex

Unfortunately, Huntsville lost 2-1. 

Go Postal

May 15, 2014, 08:12:17 pm #5 Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:19:36 pm by Go Postal
Quote from: Sir Alex on May 15, 2014, 08:09:51 pm
Unfortunately, Huntsville lost 2-1.
Just saw that on twitter.  The scores that I saw were just the 1st half.  I will change my post.

Fixed it.

chaoslord

Quote from: Go Postal on May 15, 2014, 08:00:50 pm
W4 Morrilton 2 - E1 Nettleton 1 in OT. :o
S3 HS Lakeside 3 - C2 PA 1 :o
E1 Vilonia 4 - W4 Clarksville looked to be an edge on your seat game.

:o is right. Both of those results jumped out immediately at me. I...uhh...had PA winning the 5A just from the easier path to the final and they went out at the first hurdle. Reminds me a lot of my NCAA brackets...

Vilonia Clarksville was excellent. It was by far my favorite game to see since the beginning of 2014, and I've seen a couple of MLS games in KC this year. Players all wanted it, the crowd (while small) was into it, and it was just awesome. Back and forth stuff, good hard play, exactly what you would want to see from two teams in a loser-goes-home game. 

Gonna sleep on my thoughts for tomorrows games and be back in the morning. Hopefully by then I'll actually be able to pick a winner!

chaoslord

Girls:
W1 Harrison & C2 LRCA.
Having slept on this, I am none-the-wiser. Is there anything between the two? I'm not sure. The coin flip came up Harrison, so give me them.

W4 Morrilton & C3 Sylvan Hills
Morrilton upset Nettleton, but I don't expect lightning to strike twice. I don't think this one will be close.

S1 HS Lakeside & W3 Shiloh Christian
Give me Shiloh.

C1 PA & W2 Greenbrier. 
Can't see both PA teams being out before the semis.

Boys:
W1 Greenbrier & S3 HS Lakeside.
On the one hand, Lakeside upset PA. On the other hand, they gave me a concussion when I played against them back in the day and so I refuse to hope for anything good for them. Haha, kidding. Having seen Lakeside for a 30-minute-half game once this year and seen none of Greenbrier, this is a hard one to call. I think it might go to penalties. The coin says Greenbrier, so let's go with them.

E1 Vilonia & S2 Hot Springs
Vilonia is a solid team and showed they have the ability to fight back from a losing position. I feel like that is a very important quality in a knockout tournament.

S1 DeQueen & E2 Nettleton
Don't think DeQueen will have a lot of trouble here.

C1 LRCA & W2 Harrison
This time the coin came up LRCA

Lionheart88

Lakeside is a very inconsistent team.  They lost on their home turf 1-0 to a Hope team that missed the playoffs, but beat S4 White Hall 10-0 at the same place and, IIRC, dominated WHHS at their place as well.  White Hall, for reference, lost to Greebrier twice this year (@ Sheridan in their tournament, and @ Greenbrier in nonconference play.  I don't recall the exact scores, but both were multiple goals in Greenbrier's favor, and the second was a mercy rule game IIRC).  If Lakeside brings their A game, I lean Lakeside.  If not, I lean Greenbrier, but it should probably be a good game either way.

Just1Coach

LH88 has Lakeside boys pegged.  Extremely inconsistent but able to get up for big games.  During the middle of the season, the team was content to play the ball up to the senior stud forward and watch him try and score against 4-5 defenders.  Coaching staff worked hard and apparently have worked it out.  Obviously we will know more later this afternoon.   GB vs LS is always a hard fought, tight, physical affair.  I don't expect anything different today.  Best of luck to both teams.

Go Postal

Just throwing this in, Greenbrier lost by one with only 10 men due to a red card against a very good LRCA in last year's semis.

Go Postal

Quote from: chaoslord on May 16, 2014, 08:25:35 am
Girls:
W1 Harrison & C2 LRCA.
Having slept on this, I am none-the-wiser. Is there anything between the two? I'm not sure. The coin flip came up Harrison, so give me them.

W4 Morrilton & C3 Sylvan Hills
Morrilton upset Nettleton, but I don't expect lightning to strike twice. I don't think this one will be close.

S1 HS Lakeside & W3 Shiloh Christian
Give me Shiloh.

C1 PA & W2 Greenbrier. 
Can't see both PA teams being out before the semis.

Boys:
W1 Greenbrier & S3 HS Lakeside.
On the one hand, Lakeside upset PA. On the other hand, they gave me a concussion when I played against them back in the day and so I refuse to hope for anything good for them. Haha, kidding. Having seen Lakeside for a 30-minute-half game once this year and seen none of Greenbrier, this is a hard one to call. I think it might go to penalties. The coin says Greenbrier, so let's go with them.

E1 Vilonia & S2 Hot Springs
Vilonia is a solid team and showed they have the ability to fight back from a losing position. I feel like that is a very important quality in a knockout tournament.

S1 DeQueen & E2 Nettleton
Don't think DeQueen will have a lot of trouble here.

C1 LRCA & W2 Harrison
This time the coin came up LRCA
It must have been a double sided coin.

In 2014 5A quarterfinal round play...
2013 State Runner-up, Harrison boys 0 (11) :o
2013 State Champions, LRCA boys 0 (10) :o
In kicks from the mark, 13 or 14 rounds of shots.

I was wondering if this is a new OT PK record in the State.  I think it is in 5A.

...and Harrison boys move their amazing streak of being in the semis or better to 13 years. ;D

Go Postal

May 16, 2014, 09:08:53 pm #12 Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:36:41 pm by Go Postal
Some of the quarterfinals (lower seeds beating higher seeds) upsets so far...
Girls:
W3 Shiloh Christian 1 - S1 HS Lakeside 0

Boys:
S3 HS Lakeside 3 - W1 Greenbrier 0
S2 Hot Springs 5 - E1 Vilonia 3
W2 Harrison 0 (11) - C1 LRCA 0 (10) This surely has to be a new State record for OT PKs by two teams.  WOW!

Moving on to semifinals matchups thoughts...
Girls:
C1 PA & W3 Shiloh Christian.  Private school matchup.  PA has done wonderful this year.  State Champions, Shiloh is leaving the 5A after this year.  Can the Lady Saints hold their position to go to the Finals once again?  We will see.
C3 Sylvan Hills & W1 Harrison.  State Runner-up Harrison now has a seasonal record of 21-2-0.  Losing to two 7A teams, but they have played "loose" in the last two playoff games.  Harrison girls really need to step it up for the rest of the playoffs.  Sylvan Hills needs to bring their "A" game out to pull an upset.  Winner will have to play a good private school in the Finals.

Boys:
S2 Hot Springs & S3 HS Lakeside.  Rivalry game.  Anything can happen.  The winner gets to take on one of the two teams listed below in the Finals.  DeQueen with 4 State Championships and Harrison with 6 State Championships.  I really do wish both teams the best in the rest of the playoffs.
S1 DeQueen & W2 Harrison.  Last year, these two teams met in the semis also.  Both are ranked in seeding the same as last year.  Best game that I have ever seen.  Does State Runner-up Harrison have the talent/stamina to beat a very good DeQueen team two years in a row?  We will see.  The winner of this game will take on the S2 or S3 in the Finals.

These are my thoughts and other comments/insights are welcomed.

Go Postal

Normally, I would come out with a "rock" song at this time of the playoffs in ANY sport.  Still will with a little Classic variation.  Reminds me of the OMG games that can happen during the playoffs.  ACDC fans and music aficionados will appreciate this.
Enjoy...

chaoslord

Quote from: Go Postal on May 16, 2014, 07:03:09 pm
It must have been a double sided coin.

In 2014 5A quarterfinal round play...
2013 State Runner-up, Harrison boys 0 (11) :o
2013 State Champions, LRCA boys 0 (10) :o
In kicks from the mark, 13 or 14 rounds of shots.

I was wondering if this is a new OT PK record in the State.  I think it is in 5A.

...and Harrison boys move their amazing streak of being in the semis or better to 13 years. ;D

Yeah, boys predictions were brutal, ha. Definitely in no rush to quit my day job to become a high school soccer predictor, that's for sure! That said, I'm going to take a shot at todays matches anyway...

Girls
C1 PA vs W3 Shiloh Christian
From the scorelines, Shiloh has just squeaked by. I didn't see any of the games but only 2-1 over Batesville and only 1-0 over Lakeside does not a pretty picture paint. Not to take away how well Batesville or Lakeside played, but if Shiloh wants to repeat they need to find more offense than that, imo. I figure PA will score at least one, which means Shiloh probably needs two, and I don't see that happening.

C3 Sylvan Hills vs W1 Harrison
I'm excited for Sylvan Hills to be here. I always enjoyed playing them back in my day, so good to see some success for them. That said, I think this is Harrison's game, although I think it will be close.

Boys
S2 Hot Springs vs S3 HS Lakeside 
If you had told me when I was playing that one day, a semifinal in the playoffs would be HS vs HS Lakeside, I would have thought you were crazy. This is the exact reason I love high school sports. Super excited to see this game. I know HS is the higher seed, so they had the better season, but I am more impressed by the two victories HS Lakeside have had to get here.

S1 DeQueen vs W2 Harrison
Will there be an All South final? Would have never guessed it but here we are on the doorstep. I'll give the edge to Harrison for having the mental fortitude to see out a tough win over LRCA. Of course, they could be mentally exhausted from that and DeQueen could be in a great position to take advantage...

I'll be at the Boys games. I am excited to see two very, very excellent matchups. I honestly prefer semi-finals over finals. In the semis, I think more teams go for it, knowing they have to win to make the final, whereas the occasion of the final makes teams play nervously and a little bit more negative, to not lose more than to win. I expect to see a lot of good attacking soccer on display.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas