• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which 5A team will surprise the most this season?

Started by jvallas_13, May 03, 2017, 12:08:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jvallas_13

It is early, but which 5A football team may pop up and win games they weren't meant to? Or even make a run in the playoffs? Maumelle could, depending on their coach, as well as Mills and Harrison. What do you think?

Rocket23

Keep an eye on LRCA.  New coach is dynamite.  Been having 6 am workouts in full pads.  They never practiced in full pads last year.  Several key players who sat out last season for various reasons are coming back out.

He plays to run a varied offense that could be under center, shotgun, hurried pace or grind it out.  Warriors were very young last year and look to be better all around.

tmycjy

May 03, 2017, 02:57:04 pm #2 Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 03:00:00 pm by tmycjy
Here my surprise teams

For east
Will be Forrest city, Blytheville and nettleton

South
Will be HSLS, Watson Chapel. if they get right seed or white hall,

Central sylvan hill if get right seed or LR Christian

West
Harrison, greenbrier if key player don't get hurt, Morrilton if they keep kids. In grades

GuvHog

If Jakobi Jackson returns to the team then WC has to be one of the favorites to win the 5A South this year and go deep into the playoffs this year. Coach Dutton is really turning that program around.

Rick Swines

The east surprise teams are Nettleton and Valley View.  But return a bunch of starters and both were close to being good last year. 

JessieP

Quote from: Rick Swines on May 08, 2017, 08:30:04 am
The east surprise teams are Nettleton and Valley View.  But return a bunch of starters and both were close to being good last year.

Nettleton, no question. Last year they looked like a team right on the verge. I'd say they should be a playoff team. Valley View is making strides, they still may be a few years off. They are pointed in the right direction but they weren't very competitive against the East powers. Nettleton may very well be the surprise of the year.

Trojanball24

Once again GUVHOG quit talking crazy. One winning season in 4 years isnt turning things around and letting a kid back that cussed out the coaches isnt the way to change the trend

zebradynasty

I think Parkview and Texarkana both will be much improved.

Marblehog

Quote from: Rocket23 on May 03, 2017, 01:08:07 pm
Keep an eye on LRCA.  New coach is dynamite.  Been having 6 am workouts in full pads.  They never practiced in full pads last year.  Several key players who sat out last season for various reasons are coming back out.

He plays to run a varied offense that could be under center, shotgun, hurried pace or grind it out.  Warriors were very young last year and look to be better all around.
Why a coach would have kids practicing in full pads at 6am before school in the spring is beyond me. 

Eastbay501

Quote from: zebradynasty on May 11, 2017, 03:54:25 pm
I think Parkview and Texarkana both will be much improved.

Which 5A conference is Texarkana going to be in this season?

old.dole

Not this season but next season they will be in the south. I look for Camden Fairview to be much improved in the second year of the monden era

Rick Swines

Quote from: Marblehog on May 12, 2017, 09:05:26 am
Why a coach would have kids practicing in full pads at 6am before school in the spring is beyond me.

Also a coach that has an offense with no identity raises an eyebrow as well. 

Marblehog

Quote from: old.dole on May 12, 2017, 12:03:29 pm
Not this season but next season they will be in the south. I look for Camden Fairview to be much improved in the second year of the monden era
Camden was awful last year and lost their best 3 players all D1 calibar.  They will be down bigtime

Marblehog

Quote from: Rick Swines on May 12, 2017, 12:47:19 pm
Also a coach that has an offense with no identity raises an eyebrow as well.
I like a coach who adapts to his players not a coach who tries and make players adapt to their system.  We will see which he does.

GuvHog

Quote from: Trojanball24 on May 11, 2017, 12:56:47 pm
Once again GUVHOG quit talking crazy. One winning season in 4 years isnt turning things around and letting a kid back that cussed out the coaches isnt the way to change the trend

As I said, what Dutton has done with that team is amazing. The turnaround isn't complete put it is happening. The fact that WC went all the way to the semi-finals of the 5A State playoffs last year is proof of that because since WC dropped down to 5A, they had never gotten very far in the playoffs until last year. It's still a work in progress but it's obvious that the program is headed in the right direction.

As far as Jakobi Jackson is concerned, if he apologizes to the coaches for his actions and the team is willing to accept him then I have no problem with him returning to the team.. He's just a teenager and he made an honest mistake.

zebrafan

Quote from: GuvHog on May 12, 2017, 03:34:28 pm
As I said, what Dutton has done with that team is amazing. The turnaround isn't complete put it is happening. The fact that WC went all the way to the semi-finals of the 5A State playoffs last year is proof of that because since WC dropped down to 5A, they had never gotten very far in the playoffs until last year. It's still a work in progress but it's obvious that the program is headed in the right direction.

As far as Jakobi Jackson is concerned, if he apologizes to the coaches for his actions and the team is willing to accept him then I have no problem with him returning to the team.. He's just a teenager and he made an honest mistake.
Saw there practice in pads the other day...both lines will be a concern.

zebradynasty

Quote from: zebrafan on May 12, 2017, 04:03:18 pm
Saw there practice in pads the other day...both lines will be a concern.

The DL was small last year.

zebrafan

Quote from: zebradynasty on May 12, 2017, 04:11:25 pm
The DL was small last year.
It looks to be the same this year, had a good looking DE on one side.

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: GuvHog on May 12, 2017, 03:34:28 pm

The WC program did have a very good year last year.  Dutton appears to be going in the right direction. 
I'm not sure about the Jackson kid.  From what I hear his actions were not a one time thing, but a long list of similar poor behavior that eventually crossed a line that could no longer be tolerated.  You have to remember that old one bad apple thing we have all heard about.  I've seen the kid play, he is an athlete but I'm not sure about his mindset as a QB.   Remember this, the playoff run was without Jackson.
GuvHog, if you called your boss a long list of cursewords would he let you keep your job? Better yet if one of your employess cursed you like that would you keep him one.

GuvHog

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on May 14, 2017, 10:00:42 am
The WC program did have a very good year last year.  Dutton appears to be going in the right direction. 
I'm not sure about the Jackson kid.  From what I hear his actions were not a one time thing, but a long list of similar poor behavior that eventually crossed a line that could no longer be tolerated.  You have to remember that old one bad apple thing we have all heard about.  I've seen the kid play, he is an athlete but I'm not sure about his mindset as a QB.   Remember this, the playoff run was without Jackson.
GuvHog, if you called your boss a long list of cursewords would he let you keep your job? Better yet if one of your employess cursed you like that would you keep him one.

This is different than an adult cussing his boss. Surely you are smarter than that. Jakobi is a teenager and teenagers make youthful mistakes. He was punished for his mistakes last year by being kicked off of the team for them. He has been a pitcher this season for the WC Baseball team with no behavioral problems so maybe he has learned his lesson and will receive a second chance on the football team this year. He had initially transferred to Pine Bluff after the incident last year but realized that he would have been ineligible to play baseball there and would have been ineligible for athletics his entire Senior year their so he went back to WC.

Rocket23

Quote from: Marblehog on May 12, 2017, 09:05:26 am

Because it is spring football.  We aren't the only team going full pads.  Plus they never went full pads all last season, so it took them halfway through the season before they quit missing tackles.  Cohu has a heckuva record, so I am not going to question him.

GuvHog

Quote from: Rocket23 on May 14, 2017, 08:04:08 pm
Because it is spring football.  We aren't the only team going full pads.  Plus they never went full pads all last season, so it took them halfway through the season before they quit missing tackles.  Cohu has a heckuva record, so I am not going to question him.

I don't think full pads is the issue, it's practicing at 6AM before the school day starts. That's a bit much and should be illegal.

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: GuvHog on May 14, 2017, 05:06:07 pm
This is different than an adult cussing his boss. Surely you are smarter than that. Jakobi is a teenager and teenagers make youthful mistakes. He was punished for his mistakes last year by being kicked off of the team for them. He has been a pitcher this season for the WC Baseball team with no behavioral problems so maybe he has learned his lesson and will receive a second chance on the football team this year. He had initially transferred to Pine Bluff after the incident last year but realized that he would have been ineligible to play baseball there and would have been ineligible for athletics his entire Senior year their so he went back to WC.

I understand second chances but I also know from some locals that he has had a history of that behavior.  That mistake was not slight and was not apparently the first of that type.  His flight to PB shows his and his parents immaturity.  If the head coach wants to let him on the team that is his decision and I imagine he thought a lot about it first.  However a disruptive force on a team is not a good thing.  I understand the QB that finished the season has graduated? But, I hear the sophomore to be is a good one.  You cannot have a leadership problem at the QB position and have great success.   Why to people think that you should tolerate any behavior if a kid has athletic skills? 

Marblehog

Quote from: Rocket23 on May 14, 2017, 08:04:08 pm
Nick Saban has a heckuva record as well but he deserves being questioned

bigchief72455

I think Paragould might surprise a few. They are a long way from being a playoff contender but they did show some signs of improvement last season.

JessieP

Quote from: bigchief72455 on May 15, 2017, 02:00:45 pm
I think Paragould might surprise a few. They are a long way from being a playoff contender but they did show some signs of improvement last season.

You may be correct. I toyed with saying that but they had a few skilled underclassmen, I wouldn't be shocked to see them at 500.

JessieP

Just for sake of discussion, I'm not saying it will happen, but look at the big 3 (PA, Batesville, Wynne) all 3 have massive question marks. It you take a look at then you may have quite the "hmmm" moment.

PA
Negative: They lose a ton to graduation. By far the most of the top 3. It's almost a total re-boot.
Positive: Their PA and the qb returns.

Batesville
Negative: They lose qb, defensive player of the year and other skill players. They also have the most brutal schedule in the 5A.
Positive: Consistency at the coaching staff. The new strength and conditioning coach is last years Razorbacks S & C coach. The Jr. Pioneers that set a state record with 29 straight wins are now the Senior class. Other then skill positions they return all the underclassmen that had to step up and win 7 straight last year when the team got killed by injuries.

Wynne: On paper the best looking team, they return almost everybody. As strong as they are, to get over the hump they just need the DB's to play fair, great isn't necessary. As good as Wynne was last year their DB's were bad to weak. If they improve just a little, look out.
Negative: While Wynne has the most positive they also have the biggest possible negative. It wouldn't take much of a hiccup to disrupt the whole train. Regardless of how good the new coach is the fact is he's still a new coach. That's never a seamless transition.

Odds are that all three will be left standing when it's down to 4 but all 3 also have pretty big question marks.

Iknewthemwhen

BruinBacker

Quote from: JessieP on May 15, 2017, 02:54:49 pm
Just for sake of discussion, I'm not saying it will happen, but look at the big 3 (PA, Batesville, Wynne) all 3 have massive question marks. It you take a look at then you may have quite the "hmmm" moment.

PA
Negative: They lose a ton to graduation. By far the most of the top 3. It's almost a total re-boot.

Batesville
Negative: They lose qb, defensive player of the year and other skill players. They also have the most brutal schedule in the 5A.
Positive: Consistency at the coaching staff. The new strength and conditioning coach is last years Razorbacks S & C coach. The Jr. Pioneers that set a state record with 29 straight wins are now the Senior class. Other then skill positions they return all the underclassmen that had to step up and win 7 straight last year when the team got killed by injuries.

Wynne: On paper the best looking team, they return almost everybody. As strong as they are, to get over the hump they just need the DB's to play fair, great isn't necessary. As good as Wynne was last year their DB's were bad to weak. If they improve just a little, look out.
Negative: While Wynne has the most positive they also have the biggest possible negative. It wouldn't take much of a hiccup to disrupt the whole train. Regardless of how good the new coach is the fact is he's still a new coach. That's never a seamless transition.

Odds are that all three will be left standing when it's down to 4 but all 3 also have pretty big question marks.
The upcoming Sr. Class at PA has lost one game since 5th grade, last season at Salt Lake City East high.  One.  They are most certainly not a weak class.  They lost a bunch of players.  They have a good bunch back. 

JessieP

Quote from: BruinBacker on May 15, 2017, 11:52:04 pm
The upcoming Sr. Class at PA has lost one game since 5th grade, last season at Salt Lake City East high.  One.  They are most certainly not a weak class.  They lost a bunch of players.  They have a good bunch back.

Another advantage PA has, 5th grade football. No public schools have organized interscholastic football teams in elementary school. That's a pretty big advantage, who does PA's 5th grade team play ?

GuvHog

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on May 15, 2017, 11:26:15 am
I understand second chances but I also know from some locals that he has had a history of that behavior.  That mistake was not slight and was not apparently the first of that type.  His flight to PB shows his and his parents immaturity.  If the head coach wants to let him on the team that is his decision and I imagine he thought a lot about it first.  However a disruptive force on a team is not a good thing.  I understand the QB that finished the season has graduated? But, I hear the sophomore to be is a good one.  You cannot have a leadership problem at the QB position and have great success.   Why to people think that you should tolerate any behavior if a kid has athletic skills? 

I'm sure if he is allowed back on the team, it will be with a stern warning that another behavioral infraction will get him tossed from the team for good. After getting kicked off last year, he'd be walking on thin ice if he is allowed back on the team.

Rocket23

Quote from: JessieP on May 16, 2017, 12:12:08 am
Another advantage PA has, 5th grade football. No public schools have organized interscholastic football teams in elementary school. That's a pretty big advantage, who does PA's 5th grade team play ?

It is 5th-6th grade football.  It is parent-coached.  It is a league consisting of the private schools PA, LRCA (two teams), CAC, Episcopal Collegiate, Baptist Prep, Christ The King, and Holy Souls.  I think that was all of them.  I know PA runs their high school schemes the best that 5th/6th graders can as does LRCA.  I don't know about the others. 

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: BruinBacker on May 15, 2017, 11:52:04 pm
Agree, but PA does have a re-build (re-load) job with all the graduations and the DC leaving.

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: GuvHog on May 16, 2017, 11:29:54 am
I'm sure if he is allowed back on the team, it will be with a stern warning that another behavioral infraction will get him tossed from the team for good. After getting kicked off last year, he'd be walking on thin ice if he is allowed back on the team.

I would think there is a crack in the ice already!  If that sophomore has the potential I hear, I think I'd play him.

JessieP

Quote from: Rocket23 on May 16, 2017, 12:59:37 pm
It is 5th-6th grade football.  It is parent-coached.  It is a league consisting of the private schools PA, LRCA (two teams), CAC, Episcopal Collegiate, Baptist Prep, Christ The King, and Holy Souls.  I think that was all of them.  I know PA runs their high school schemes the best that 5th/6th graders can as does LRCA.  I don't know about the others.

I did not know that. It's funny that a person who calls themselves "Bruin Backer" would point out that PA runs organized football starting in the 5th grade. A lot of the "PA recruits" debate was rebuffed by PA fans that pointed out most of the team started at PA before grade 6, how can you tell who's going to be good at that age? well, if you have an organized football team it becomes quite easy. But I agree with your point "the best that 5th/6th graders can", lol. At that age coaching is like trying to herd cats. They'll be focused and attentive until someone farts, at that point you have a pack of giggling kids. To coach football for 5th/6th graders requires the patience of Job.

GuvHog

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on May 16, 2017, 01:36:56 pm
I would think there is a crack in the ice already!  If that sophomore has the potential I hear, I think I'd play him.

It wouldn't surprise me if that Sophomore starts. Dutton first started Jakobi as a Sophomore.

Rick Swines

Quote from: tmycjy on May 03, 2017, 02:57:04 pm
Here my surprise teams

For east
Will be Forrest city, Blytheville and nettleton

South
Will be HSLS, Watson Chapel. if they get right seed or white hall,

Central sylvan hill if get right seed or LR Christian

West
Harrison, greenbrier if key player don't get hurt, Morrilton if they keep kids. In grades

FC lost an insane amount of seniors plus I'm hearing rumors most of their coaches will not return. 

Chin Music

Quote from: GuvHog on May 16, 2017, 11:29:54 am

So making the mistakes this kid has made should be overlooked and given multiple chances but a team practicing at 6:00 a.m. should be illegal?

GuvHog

Quote from: Chin Music on May 17, 2017, 12:40:40 pm
So making the mistakes this kid has made should be overlooked and given multiple chances but a team practicing at 6:00 a.m. should be illegal?

What do you mean when you say "multiple chances?? He was only kicked off of the team only once.

Yes practicing at 6 AM before the start of a school day should be illegal. I have no problem with it when it's not on a school day.

woopork

Quote from: JessieP on May 15, 2017, 02:54:49 pm

PA

Batesville

The most brutal schedule in 5A?

Rocket23

Quote from: GuvHog on May 18, 2017, 03:59:23 pm
What do you mean when you say "multiple chances?? He was only kicked off of the team only once.

Yes practicing at 6 AM before the start of a school day should be illegal. I have no problem with it when it's not on a school day.

Why should it be illegal?  I was on a morning run at 6 am all three years of my high school at Blytheville in the 80s.  My daughter practiced soccer at 6 am once a week in preseason at LRCA, still with straight As.  You make them get their butts to bed and get rest.  Do their homework when they get home instead of watching TV.

Part of it is when you have three teams sharing a field, it doesn't make for the best.  The boys and girls soccer teams had first dibs on field because they were in season.  Getting up early doesn't hurt anyone.  Now some of these rural schools that have a ways to get into town to school, that would be too early.

Illegal?  Overkill.

GhostofRosswoodCC

White Hall
Team going to surprise a bunch folks/  Team numbers at all time high/ team speed all time high

I will return in the fall to bless you guys and gals with my vast knowledge of football.

Have a great summer and God Bless our troops

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: GuvHog on May 18, 2017, 03:59:23 pm

My understanding is he was usually treading on thin ice and had issues with being coachable.  He finally crossed a line the HC could not tolerate.  I've heard this from more than one person.  I do hear he is an athlete but is a head case and tough to deal with.  Lets hope the issues last year helped him mature.

Iknewthemwhen

GuvHog, you are obviously in the know at WC, I hear they have a lot of new coaches again.

GuvHog

June 20, 2017, 04:36:58 pm #44 Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 04:49:22 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on June 20, 2017, 10:55:48 am
GuvHog, you are obviously in the know at WC, I hear they have a lot of new coaches again.

I'll check it out but as far as I know they have the same Senior High coaching staff they had last season. I don't keep up with the Junior High as much so there could have been some changes there. They are getting a new trainer though.

GuvHog

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on June 20, 2017, 10:54:01 am
My understanding is he was usually treading on thin ice and had issues with being coachable.  He finally crossed a line the HC could not tolerate.  I've heard this from more than one person.  I do hear he is an athlete but is a head case and tough to deal with.  Lets hope the issues last year helped him mature.

He crossed the line when he cussed coach Dutton out after they lost to Magnolia.

zebrafan

June 22, 2017, 12:19:43 am #46 Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:24:25 am by zebrafan
Quote from: GuvHog on June 20, 2017, 04:36:58 pm
I'll check it out but as far as I know they have the same Senior High coaching staff they had last season. I don't keep up with the Junior High as much so there could have been some changes there. They are getting a new trainer though.
Think they have a junior high assistant coach that got bumped up, Guv what is the QB situation over there? Didn't see Curry or Jackson at Stutgart team camp but that doesn't mean there not playing(a tall skinny kid was running the offense)...the lines looked real concerning again...where are these lineman going are they walking the halls?? I know PBHS got the big Barnett kid but they were real small again. I just don't get it you get some lineman over there you can get back to that semifinal Shelton run...solid line play then...always have solid skill players!

PapaHog

I still think Fairview is a couple of years away. I'd move Magnolia ahead of them in the south and I'm still not sure what to think of WC. Might move Magnolia ahead of them too. The south just isn't very good right now.

Iknewthemwhen

Chapel could make some noise but I think they will have to play some youngsters.

GuvHog

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on July 02, 2017, 08:32:38 am
Chapel could make some noise but I think they will have to play some youngsters.

They started a lot of Sophomores late in the season after a number of players were kicked off of the team and still made it to the semifinals of the 5A State playoffs so they won't be as young as you might think.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas