• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The new "no pop-up onside kicks" rule.

Started by lizard1989, February 27, 2017, 04:53:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lizard1989

Apparently the National Federation of State High School Associations Rules Committee have said that "pop-up" onside kicks are now illegal.

walkingguy72396

They should be ilegal unless the score is tied or the kicking team is behind.  I would actually like to see it and the spike rule be changed.  Spike 5 yard penalty 10 second run-off.  On side has to go 15 yards

JessieP

Quote from: walkingguy72396 on February 27, 2017, 05:18:44 pm
They should be ilegal unless the score is tied or the kicking team is behind.  I would actually like to see it and the spike rule be changed.  Spike 5 yard penalty 10 second run-off.  On side has to go 15 yards

You will see onside kicks (outside of the final 2 minutes) be outlawed within a year. It's simply too dangerous for high school kids. The receiving team is sitting ducks. Some districts in California and Texas are already doing it. California has enacted the 15 yard rule. The ball must travel 15 yards but the receiving team can line up at 10 yards. It's simply too much risk for a high school game.

I haven't heard of the spike rule before, what's the point of that ?

lizard1989

walkingguy72396

Spiking the ball.  The qb takes the snap and throws the ball into the ground. To stop a running clock.  Or as I like to call it Intentional Grounding

lizard1989

To me it is not only safer for the kids not to have the onside kick, the coach doesn't get to say " I don't want to coach a certain part of the game, like kickoff coverage." Any coach that says they are preparing some of the athletes for college and then won't teach them something that virtually every college team does, is not helping the marginal kids who may make the roster on special teams.  Taking a part of the game out just because you don't want to "waste your time" coaching it isn't fair to the kids who may only see the field on special teams.

RZback

Are you certain this new rule is going into effect? 

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: lizard1989 on February 27, 2017, 08:28:13 pm
To me it is not only safer for the kids not to have the onside kick, the coach doesn't get to say " I don't want to coach a certain part of the game, like kickoff coverage." Any coach that says they are preparing some of the athletes for college and then won't teach them something that virtually every college team does, is not helping the marginal kids who may make the roster on special teams.  Taking a part of the game out just because you don't want to "waste your time" coaching it isn't fair to the kids who may only see the field on special teams.
Are you certain that there are not more injuries on actual kickoffs than onside kickoffs? 

Your other argument is contradictory.  You want coaches to do a standard kickoff to prepare players for college, but then you argue that kids that don't get to play other positions should play on kickoff?  Kids that can't play other positions don't play in college.

Lastly, I think that what you will find about these coaches that onside kick is that they actually believe this is the best way to win high school football games.  They may be wrong, but I do think there may be more to it than you seem to give them credit for. 

Quote from: RZback on February 27, 2017, 09:13:16 pm
Are you certain this new rule is going into effect? 
yes

CoachTaylorPA

February 27, 2017, 11:14:06 pm #8 Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:16:12 pm by CoachTaylorPA
The receiving team is not sitting ducks.  The kicking team cannot initiate contact until the ball has gone 10 yards.  By that time the ball should be caught or the kicking team should of recovered.  Also the receiving team is considered a defenseless player when trying to field the ball so they are protected.  If anything the kicking team isn't protected because the receiving team can hit them at any point.  Also with the new rule change outlawing blindside blocks kick off return blocks were a point of mention due to teams hitting players from the side with running starts. Deep kickoffs are the most dangerous part of the game due to a running head start for both teams.  The NFL outlawed large wedges and have changed where the ball is kicked from to allow more touch backs.  As a side note for 15 yard rule what happens when the ball is touched by receiving team before 15 yards.?  I think the rules committee should of taken the college route and allowed a fair catch on the high hop.  We quit doing that kick years ago because it's to easy to field and return.

Quote from: JessieP on February 27, 2017, 05:33:32 pm
You will see onside kicks (outside of the final 2 minutes) be outlawed within a year. It's simply too dangerous for high school kids. The receiving team is sitting ducks. Some districts in California and Texas are already doing it. California has enacted the 15 yard rule. The ball must travel 15 yards but the receiving team can line up at 10 yards. It's simply too much risk for a high school game.

I haven't heard of the spike rule before, what's the point of that ?

GuvHog

Quote from: CoachTaylorPA on February 27, 2017, 11:14:06 pm
The receiving team is not sitting ducks.  The kicking team cannot initiate contact until the ball has gone 10 yards.  By that time the ball should be caught or the kicking team should of recovered.  Also the receiving team is considered a defenseless player when trying to field the ball so they are protected.  If anything the kicking team isn't protected because the receiving team can hit them at any point.  Also with the new rule change outlawing blindside blocks kick off return blocks were a point of mention due to teams hitting players from the side with running starts. Deep kickoffs are the most dangerous part of the game due to a running head start for both teams.  The NFL outlawed large wedges and have changed where the ball is kicked from to allow more touch backs.  As a side note for 15 yard rule what happens when the ball is touched by receiving team before 15 yards.?  I think the rules committee should of taken the college route and allowed a fair catch on the high hop.  We quit doing that kick years ago because it's to easy to field and return.

The line in bold may be the rule but it isn't enforced. 2 years ago when Agim was still playing for the Hope Bobcats, they brought linemen in for the onside kick with one player lined up behind them and they literally shoved the receiving team's players back 5 yards before the ball went 10 yards. The player behind the blockers merely picked the ball up after it went 10 yards and took a knee.

toejammer

We put the most physical kids we had up front against teams that onside kick all the time. Told them the ball means nothing to you, you attack the man opposite you. The back line worries about the ball.  We lost very few onside kicks.

The Future

Ok maybe I've missed something

Is this rule taking away all onside kicks or just pop up ones like mentioned here? Cause if it's just pop up ones, then kicks that bounce along and stay low to the ground are still fair game right?

Surely that's not the case. It would make more sense to keep both ot ban both.

Honestly I don't see a problem with it. I'm sure it's no more dangerous than a QB standing still "like a sitting duck" about to take a hit in order to complete a pass. Or a receiver jumping to make a catch knowing a defender is coming in fast for a tackle.
Also no onside kicks takes away from the team behind trying to get the ball back. They score and still need 7 points to win. Without onsides, how is that team suppose to try for the ball?

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Just the pop up is banned. I believe your point is valid, but I'd hate to see that play taken out of the game completely, even if it is now used for something different what it was likely originally intended.

Toejammer, that is a solid plan, and I teach the opposite for the kickoff team. I teach to avoid contact, and that the ball means everything to you. Only contact is for the guy who tries to receive the ball.

OB11

I posted this on the Official's Timeout forum but thought it would be helpful here also.

Pop Up Kick

Not a pop up kick

Just to clarify...I think some people read pop up kick and think it's any onside kick that "pops" into the air at any point during the kick. The pop up kick being ruled agains here is the one in the first image.  A ball that pops up right after being kicked.

Maynard G Krebs

SUGARTOWN

On another note, I hear PA is now needing a DC...

Red Devil Alum

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 15, 2017, 11:55:12 am
On another note, I hear PA is now needing a DC...
DC went to Russellville (great get for them), but PA will promote from within.

Yellowcake

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on March 15, 2017, 01:39:49 pm
DC went to Russellville (great get for them), but PA will promote from within.

Visited with both coach Kelly and coach wood today. HATE to see him go, but it's a new adventure and he's excited. And PA will indeed fill from within.

But it's still a big hole to fill. Coach Wood was every bit as instrumental to PA 's success as what happens on the offensive side of the ball. Good luck coach Wood. And thanks for all the great memories and great game plans, and teaching those kids so many great lessons beyond just football.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Yellowcake on March 16, 2017, 12:10:15 am
Visited with both coach Kelly and coach wood today. HATE to see him go, but it's a new adventure and he's excited. And PA will indeed fill from within.

But it's still a big hole to fill. Coach Wood was every bit as instrumental to PA 's success as what happens on the offensive side of the ball. Good luck coach Wood. And thanks for all the great memories and great game plans, and teaching those kids so many great lessons beyond just football.
I agree with all of that. My GUESS is that Coach Wyatt will become the DC.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas