• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dollarway taken over. Again.

Started by AirWarren, December 10, 2015, 10:06:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

Dollarway has been taken over by the state again. When is enough? It's well past time for the state to shut it down. The district has proven time and time again it cannot function properly. Academically and athletically.

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/local-news/dollarway-school-district-taken-over-by-state-board-of-education

zebrafan

December 10, 2015, 10:50:54 pm #1 Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 11:27:02 pm by zebrafan
Sad smh....but on another note we will take some of there athletes if they come PBHS way. ;D

DWayAlumn2002

Sad! Hope the lady they appointed cleans house! Kids deserve better. I know Warren would love to see it close. #1 seed every year.

Lionheart88

Sad.  The district probably should just be parted out to the other schools in the county, but my impression is that (outside of wanting their athletes) the other schools feel taking them on would be more a burden than anything.  The state may have to force them on someone at some point.

Superjack45

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 11, 2015, 07:26:02 am
Sad.  The district probably should just be parted out to the other schools in the county, but my impression is that (outside of wanting their athletes) the other schools feel taking them on would be more a burden than anything.  The state may have to force them on someone at some point.
Wait one minute now! When has the  education of a child been a burden? Regardless of where they go it is the states responsibility to teach and mentor them so being a burden is the wrong word to use.We all have responsibility in teaching our kids even the parents so even if the school close the children still have a right to an education. IJS

AirWarren

Quote from: DWayAlumn2002 on December 11, 2015, 12:30:01 am
Sad! Hope the lady they appointed cleans house! Kids deserve better. I know Warren would love to see it close. #1 seed every year.

Warren is 8-5 against Dollarway since 2001. No one in Warren is studying Dollarway.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: AirWarren on December 10, 2015, 10:06:55 pm
Dollarway has been taken over by the state again. When is enough? It's well past time for the state to shut it down. The district has proven time and time again it cannot function properly. Academically and athletically.

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/local-news/dollarway-school-district-taken-over-by-state-board-of-education

Athletics is not, or should it be part of the discussion re Dollarway's situation

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Superjack45 on December 11, 2015, 08:14:20 am
Wait one minute now! When has the  education of a child been a burden? Regardless of where they go it is the states responsibility to teach and mentor them so being a burden is the wrong word to use.We all have responsibility in teaching our kids even the parents so even if the school close the children still have a right to an education. IJS
there is the main problem with dway and many other places. you said and even the parents. I can tell by your posts that you are involved but many aren't. you can't blame it on the state. education starts at home. you ever tried to teach someone something who didn't want to learn? school is a babysitter and 2 free meals for far to many.

Missco

To much blame is put on schools that score low on these tests. Test scores are directly related to socio-economics and home environment.

AirWarren

Quote from: Oldman on December 11, 2015, 08:50:41 am
there is the main problem with dway and many other places. you said and even the parents. I can tell by your posts that you are involved but many aren't. you can't blame it on the state. education starts at home. you ever tried to teach someone something who didn't want to learn? school is a babysitter and 2 free meals for far to many.

Amen.

AirWarren

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 11, 2015, 08:36:40 am

Athletics is not, or should it be part of the discussion re Dollarway's situation

Ineligible players. Yeah I think it should.

Also, the kids deserve to have appropriate facilities. Have you seen the grass and the way the stadium looks at Dollarway? The grass is basically weeds. That falls on the district as well as the staff to maintain it. If I'm not mistaken, the AD or someone was fired before football season was over due to missing funds.

This has been going on for years. It's time for the state to quit handslapping. The kids in the district deserve better than they get.

Lions84

Sad to here this. I hope they can get this straighten out.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Lions84 on December 11, 2015, 10:35:57 am

I heard on the radio this morning that the school has had 8 superintendents in 9 years.  If any one of them was in fact the person to remedy the problems, they never got the chance to do it.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 11, 2015, 10:54:03 am
Quote from: Lions84 on December 11, 2015, 10:35:57 am

I heard on the radio this morning that the school has had 8 superintendents in 9 years.  If any one of them was in fact the person to remedy the problems, they never got the chance to do it.

too many hands in the cookie jar.

Jack1990

I find some of the quotes of board members and past superintendents interesting.  Shows a failure of leadership from the top down.  Seems like everyone had their own personal agendas...none of which was the best interest of the students.  I hope the district can be salvaged.  It would be a shame for the history of that district to be lost due to infighting of adults who are supposed to help students.

Romeo

One thing I learned when I was in the military is that the worst thing you can have in an organization is bad people at high places. I remember at least once or twice a month, my squadron's chief would come in and do uniform inspections. If the squad leaders uniform wasn't up to par, he wouldn't bother checking the rest of the squad. He would throw the entire squad out of the inspection. It doesn't matter how hard you work as an individual, the bad perception people have with folks at the top becomes a reflection of everyone involved in the organization.

The biggest issue with Dollarway starts at the top. Complete incompetence and egos within the school board has brought the district to where it is today. They simply won't allow superintendents that come in to do their job. Being the superintendent at Dollarway is basically a potential career killer. No matter what you got fired for, the perception will always be there. Warren's current superintendent was previously at Dollarway last year. Right now, he's the superintendent on an interim basis. He probably would have been named the permanent superintendent if it wasn't for the previous issues at Dollarway.

green-eagle

if memories serves me right...didn't Altheimer consolidated with Dollarway? didn't the state take over that school? also didn't Altheimer field a football team...wasn't their field in better shape than Dway?

move the school back to Altheimer.....

zebrafan

Altheimer's field was the same, possibly better stands...won't go back to Altheimer though.

panther07

Quote from: zebrafan on December 11, 2015, 03:22:31 pm
Altheimer's field was the same, possibly better stands...won't go back to Altheimer though.

Wait a minute... I've never been to dollarway field, but I have hunted in Altheimer a bunch.  Dollarway in worse shape than Altheimer?!!

Superjack45

Quote from: AirWarren on December 11, 2015, 09:08:04 am
Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 11, 2015, 08:36:40 am

Ineligible players. Yeah I think it should.

Also, the kids deserve to have appropriate facilities. Have you seen the grass and the way the stadium looks at Dollarway? The grass is basically weeds. That falls on the district as well as the staff to maintain it. If I'm not mistaken, the AD or someone was fired before football season was over due to missing funds.

This has been going on for years. It's time for the state to quit handslapping. The kids in the district deserve better than they get.
+++1111

Lionheart88

No district wants to be put on academic distress.  Any district that's close (and some other districts in Jefferson County already have individual schools in distress) is going to be leery of bringing in a bunch of students from a distressed district because it could pull them down across that threshold.  There's also facilities to consider; as has been previously mentioned, Dollarway's aren't great.  Any district that takes them in is probably going to have to spend a lot on them in the next 10-20 years.  Obviously, if Dway's tax base provided the money for improvements they'd have already been made.  That means whoever takes them in will have to divert money that had been earmarked for another source or vote in a millage increase, which area districts have already shown a reluctance to do.  Yes, the kids have a right to an education, but Dollarway is an albatross right now.  They're not going to help anyone in the short term.  It's hard to blame other area districts for not wanting to take on that headache.

zebrafan

Quote from: panther07 on December 11, 2015, 04:22:59 pm
Quote from: zebrafan on December 11, 2015, 03:22:31 pm

Wait a minute... I've never been to dollarway field, but I have hunted in Altheimer a bunch.  Dollarway in worse shape than Altheimer?!!
The field shape when Altheimer was open is the same as Dways field now lol

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: Jack1990 on December 11, 2015, 11:11:00 am
I find some of the quotes of board members and past superintendents interesting.  Shows a failure of leadership from the top down.  Seems like everyone had their own personal agendas...none of which was the best interest of the students.  I hope the district can be salvaged.  It would be a shame for the history of that district to be lost due to infighting of adults who are supposed to help students.
This is the issue. The conversations I had today with individuals at state school board conference this week about Dollarway is that there were a couple board members who were really trying to do what is right but the majority of the board is so disfunctional the state had no choice but step in again. It is my understanding they are going to be given another chance to fix the problems or we could see the district divided up and absorbed into neighboring districts. They told me they did not feel like that would happen except as a last resort and that White Hall WOULD NOT have to absorb the whole Dollarway district.

Oldbadger

Education begins at home.  Many of these kids, most likely,  don't have a good one. Difficult to teach kids who don't have support and guidance at home, no matter what the state or anyone else does.  It was my understanding that closing the district down and/or consolidating was not in the plans.  No amount of money can correct this problem.  The shape of the field is unforgivable.  It doesn't  take a lot of work to have a decent field. Many coaches maintain their fields themselves.  Laziness.

AirWarren

There is enough school districts in the area that could absorb Dollarway. Not just white hall.

Eddie Goodson

I know you guys do not like to hear it but athletics are the last thing on the state's mind right now. Nothing will get done to facilities.

Lionheart88

I'm not talking about athletic facilities.  The school buildings themselves aren't in the best shape, and some probably need to be renovated or replaced.  The high school gym (surely used for PE and the like, not just basketball) was built over 50 years ago when my dad was in school, and was barely adequate then.

Romeo

December 11, 2015, 09:44:44 pm #27 Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 09:50:20 pm by Romeo
Improving the facilities are up to the voters. A millage increase failed to pass in September. The vote was fairly close, 343-297.

zebrafan

Quote from: Romeo on December 11, 2015, 09:44:44 pm
Improving the facilities are up to the voters. A millage increase failed to pass in September. The vote was fairly close, 343-297.
Think they said they were going to try another millage...I want to say around January but it could be later than that.

sevenof400

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 11, 2015, 09:09:24 pm
I know you guys do not like to hear it but athletics are the last thing on the state's mind right now. Nothing will get done to facilities.

Which is exactly as it should be.  Academics are supposed to be the first priority.  I do have a question for you Eddie - you said earlier:
Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 11, 2015, 05:19:12 pm... It is my understanding they are going to be given another chance to fix the problems or we could see the district divided up and absorbed into neighboring districts. They told me they did not feel like that would happen except as a last resort and that White Hall WOULD NOT have to absorb the whole Dollarway district.

Should Dollarway be closed, can the state force another district to accept the Dollarway students?  If the state tried that, I could see some legal battles forthcoming from a variety of angles...

zebradynasty

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 11, 2015, 09:43:07 pm
I'm not talking about athletic facilities.  The school buildings themselves aren't in the best shape, and some probably need to be renovated or replaced.  The high school gym (surely used for PE and the like, not just basketball) was built over 50 years ago when my dad was in school, and was barely adequate then.

Actually as far as educational facilities Dollarway is not that bad. The High school could stand a do overs but over last 10 years or so Dollarway has built several new schools. Here is why the a millage increase for athletic facilities face a uphill battle. First, the district has more pressing needs. As bad as the facilities are the academic and fiscal problems are worse. Second, when Dollarway took over Altheimer most of that area is rural farming area with most of the land and property owned by whites. Asking a millage increase for a guy that owns a few 1000 acres with buildings and shops for a school their kids wont attend...takes a lot of convincing. IF the voters located within the city limits turn out heavy it has a chance to pass otherwise... and I fully understand the rural area of the districts position. Third, why build all these facilities unless you know for SURE the state is not going to dissolve the district? I don't know if the state can dissolve a district consolidate it with another and still keep both athletic programs separate (sounds like a mess).

White Hall probably won't be forced to take the entire district and I'm sure neither district wants that so I suspect IF it came to that it would be split up between the rest of the county schools. I would expect White Hall to take the most but again that's like getting a gnat to swallow an elephant!

Oldbadger

You guys are concerned about something that I can't see happening.  If these kids aren't meeting the academic expectations at Dollarway, what makes you think they will elsewhere.?  This will have to be a community wide effort.  All parents, caretakers, grandparents, and foster parents are going to have to be almost forced to get involved.  It's what I call the "education triad"  , that is, parents,  students, and teachers.  Parents being whomever is responsible for the child's well being.  If any one of these three are missing,  learning does not take place.  It is not a race thing, it is socio-economic.  Poor kids everywhere don't perform as well as those who are well off.  We can't  suddenly make everyone well off, but at school we may can remove some of those barriers. But some type of school to home communication maybe daily on failing students must occur.  Who has an answer?

zebradynasty

Quote from: Oldbadger on December 12, 2015, 11:20:18 am
You guys are concerned about something that I can't see happening.  If these kids aren't meeting the academic expectations at Dollarway, what makes you think they will elsewhere.?  This will have to be a community wide effort.  All parents, caretakers, grandparents, and foster parents are going to have to be almost forced to get involved.  It's what I call the "education triad"  , that is, parents,  students, and teachers.  Parents being whomever is responsible for the child's well being.  If any one of these three are missing,  learning does not take place.  It is not a race thing, it is socio-economic.  Poor kids everywhere don't perform as well as those who are well off.  We can't  suddenly make everyone well off, but at school we may can remove some of those barriers. But some type of school to home communication maybe daily on failing students must occur.  Who has an answer?

Can't see what happening? Consolidation? As many schools that have been closed and consolidated...it's definitely a possibility! It will be the last of the last resort to do it because if happens it could multiply the problem by involving other school districts.

Lionheart88

You're right, Oldbadger.  But the state DoE tends to see consolidation as a viable road to improvement for some reason.

ZD, there's actually a chunk of Dway out past White Hall toward Sheridan along 270.  I can't see us not taking that section.  Right now they're bussed through WHSD to get to Dollarway (legacy of when they drew up the districts 50+ years ago, I'm told).  It wouldn't make sense to keep bussing those kids through White Hall to get to WC or PB.  The rest, who knows? 

Oldbadger

It can happen, but most schools that are closed are closed because of lack of numbers,  not academics.  Dollarway is just to large to consolidate.  If it were to happen we're talking years down the road. If you consolidate, nothing has changed.  Same caretakers, same students.  The state will do everything else possible before that is even considered.  Dollarway's problems can be solved right where they are. 

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 12, 2015, 10:38:03 am
Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 11, 2015, 09:09:24 pm

Which is exactly as it should be.  Academics are supposed to be the first priority.  I do have a question for you Eddie - you said earlier:
Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 11, 2015, 05:19:12 pm... It is my understanding they are going to be given another chance to fix the problems or we could see the district divided up and absorbed into neighboring districts. They told me they did not feel like that would happen except as a last resort and that White Hall WOULD NOT have to absorb the whole Dollarway district.

Should Dollarway be closed, can the state force another district to accept the Dollarway students?  If the state tried that, I could see some legal battles forthcoming from a variety of angles...
I do not know if it SHOULD be closed, so I will not speak to that. But, the ADE can pretty much do whatever they want. The one thing that is for certain is that the citizens of the Dollarway school district now have no say in what is done with their school and the decisions are solely up to the appointed Super. and the head of the Ark Dept of Education.

urban legend2

With as many superintendents that the district has had in the past 10 years or so, it was almost inevitable that this was going to happen. Unfortunate as it is, it was pretty much just a matter of time. A lot of those on the school board simply cannot get along because several have their own agendas. And like it was stated earlier, facilities are the last thing that needs to be on the minds of those in charge.

EagleForLife12

I understand this is football board but when it come to something this important who give a s... about the shape the football field is in and their facilities, I know it's a nice topic to talk about but some of you guys REALLY need to see the bigger picture. Cause the "bigger picture" is not the field, nor athletics period.

zebrafan

Quote from: EagleForLife12 on December 13, 2015, 12:11:59 pm
I understand this is football board but when it come to something this important who give a s... about the shape the football field is in and their facilities, I know it's a nice topic to talk about but some of you guys REALLY need to see the bigger picture. Cause the "bigger picture" is not the field, nor athletics period.
Thanks Yoda.

zebrafan

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 12, 2015, 10:58:14 am

Actually as far as educational facilities Dollarway is not that bad. The High school could stand a do overs but over last 10 years or so Dollarway has built several new schools. Here is why the a millage increase for athletic facilities face a uphill battle. First, the district has more pressing needs. As bad as the facilities are the academic and fiscal problems are worse. Second, when Dollarway took over Altheimer most of that area is rural farming area with most of the land and property owned by whites. Asking a millage increase for a guy that owns a few 1000 acres with buildings and shops for a school their kids wont attend...takes a lot of convincing. IF the voters located within the city limits turn out heavy it has a chance to pass otherwise... and I fully understand the rural area of the districts position. Third, why build all these facilities unless you know for SURE the state is not going to dissolve the district? I don't know if the state can dissolve a district consolidate it with another and still keep both athletic programs separate (sounds like a mess).

White Hall probably won't be forced to take the entire district and I'm sure neither district wants that so I suspect IF it came to that it would be split up between the rest of the county schools. I would expect White Hall to take the most but again that's like getting a gnat to swallow an elephant!
+1

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: zebrafan on December 13, 2015, 12:56:34 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on December 12, 2015, 10:58:14 am

+1
The ADE will do whatever it wants. If they want White Hall to take it all, WH will have no choice. I just don't see it coming to that though. The Altheimer area just might be the thing that does get it split up though. Nobody is going to win in this deal regardless of what they do.

Romeo

If you keep firing leaders you have to keep building a new culture and system. Consistent leadership is key for long term success. - Jon Gordon

Lions84

sevenof400

Romeo

AirWarren

Garo

Thanks Asa. Elections have consequences.

WPWells

What are you talking about? It's not Asa's fault

Garo

Of course it's not.  It's obviously Obama's.

WPWells

No, it's Dollarway's. You must be one of those people who tells their kids that it's the teacher's fault they made a bad grade. Entitlement generation

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas