• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brookland Head Football Job

Started by OB11, April 19, 2015, 08:42:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OB11

April 19, 2015, 08:42:41 pm Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 09:07:49 am by OliverBoy11
Brookland head job is open.  Young program that hasn't had much success.  With a growing population and recent upgrades to football facilities, seems like this job might draw some interest.  Will they open it up or promote from within?

Donnie Jamon

April 19, 2015, 08:54:41 pm #1 Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 09:35:40 am by Donnie Jamon
They better not hire within. Assistants are very much apart and responsible for team success.  I haven't seen much of that the first 3 seasons.  Go out and hire a young coach and a very good one.

OB11

Those were my thoughts exactly.  Couldn't see them hiring from within if they are serious about winning.  Go out and get some young blood that will shake things up and take the program in a good direction.  I wonder if any of the assistants will try to leave now?

Donnie Jamon

Well some will want to stay bc people hate moving but if I was the new coach I would hire my own guys unless an asst has a good kid already on the team

whippersnapper

High school football isn't college. You can not always just bring in your own guys right off the bat. Also I think if any coach wants to stay they deserve a trial season.

Donnie Jamon

Ugh yes you can. You don't think a coach can't bring his assts from the current school they are coaching?  They want a job to if they don't get HC job.

OB11

Quote from: whippersnapper on April 19, 2015, 10:03:17 pm
High school football isn't college. You can not always just bring in your own guys right off the bat. Also I think if any coach wants to stay they deserve a trial season.

I asked about the assistants because they mostly all came in with Mills in the beginning.  Just wondered if they were happy there or if they would want to move on as well.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Donnie Jamon on April 19, 2015, 10:05:59 pm
Ugh yes you can. You don't think a coach can't bring his assts from the current school they are coaching?  They want a job to if they don't get HC job.
there must first be an opening for an assistant before the new coach can bring one.

buck780

Quote from: Oldman on April 20, 2015, 11:06:04 am
Quote from: Donnie Jamon on April 19, 2015, 10:05:59 pm
there must first be an opening for an assistant before the new coach can bring one.

It is my understanding the Offensive Line Coach is transferring into another position, and this will open up an Asst. Position.   

FanOfTheSport

tough job for anyone to come in here and make better, goodluck to the man that does take over Brookland. I think you might need it...

Donnie Jamon

I agree. Whoever takes this job will thake lumps and bruises along with the kids. They aren't use to winning in football but are still new at it. That is the hard part.

Beaver Fever

You Should throw the word "coach" in the title of this thread.   

OB11

Quote from: Beaver Fever on April 21, 2015, 06:25:14 am
You Should throw the word "coach" in the title of this thread.   

Oops  :o

Loyalfan1

What makes Brookland such a tough job?  is it a basketball school?

whippersnapper

They did win state in boys basketball in 2014. Idk if its a tough job rather just a young program.

Loyalfan1

If looked at AAA.  Looks like BB coach is also AD. 

OB11

I would say Brookland is a basketball school. The better athletes tend to stay in the gym and choose not go out for football.  Makes it hard to build some momentum in a young program when basketball is having so much success and the football program so little.  I will say this though, I went to a football game at Brookland this past season expecting to get there and find a lot of empty seats at game time.  I ended up having to stand along the fence because the bleachers were packed.  The program seems to have a lot of community support.  It just hasn't translated to success on the field yet. 

Rulesman

Brookland's first year to play varsity football was 2012.

buck780

Brookland is a rapid growing school. They should pick up some additional good athletes this summer. The football program definitely has the community support and they are on their way of having a turf field In the near future. With having a assistant coach or two open as well maybe this position will peak the interest of some good candidates. I too are for the hiring of a GOOD young coach. I think with the right pick it should also bring the numbers up for the currently enrolled kids coming back to play football. 

Nomad1324

You're right about the right coach bringing kids back out. The same exact thing happened when I was in school.

You get a guy who can make kids believe they can compete and succeed, and they'll beat a path to the door.

Donnie Jamon

The thing that will hurt Brookland is pay.  The last superintendent didn't want to pay for a great coach or teachers. If they dont step that up then they may be forced to hire within.

buck780

With Brookland having Bobby Gross as the new AD and McDaniel as the new superintendent, I think the school is in a great position in having the right people making the right decision. I know both of those two want a good football program.   

elvis26

;D I think bryan Haynes would make a good young coach!!!!!!!!!!! I think he was a assistant at brookland this past year!!!!!!!!!!

Loyalfan1

Interesting situation in Brookland.  Gotta believe if this was AD/HFC it would attract more guys.

OB11

That is an interesting dynamic.  I wonder how many schools that don't have a stand alone AD give the job to someone other than the HFC?

Loyalfan1

Donnie Jamon

Any news?  Figured we would have heard something by now

OB11

Anyone have a timeline on a hire, or heard any names?

Donnie Jamon

April 29, 2015, 12:20:01 pm #28 Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:57:07 pm by Donnie Jamon
Meeting this week I believe

TIGER101

Has anyone heard of any names who have applied?

Made

Quote from: TIGER101 on April 29, 2015, 04:59:45 pm
No names, but did hear 55 applicants

Nomad1324

Quote from: Made on April 29, 2015, 05:59:58 pm
Quote from: TIGER101 on April 29, 2015, 04:59:45 pm
No names, but did hear 55 applicants

Wonder how many of those are right out of college?

Donnie Jamon

I would say 90% of those came from assistants or straight out of college guys.

Made

Quote from: Donnie Jamon on April 30, 2015, 11:58:34 pm
No idea heard they made calls this week and starting interviews next week.

Nomad1324

May 04, 2015, 12:20:39 pm #34 Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 08:27:24 am by Nomad1324
Quote from: Made on May 03, 2015, 12:41:16 am
Quote from: Donnie Jamon on April 30, 2015, 11:58:34 pm
No idea heard they made calls this week and starting interviews next week.

Any idea who some of the guys getting calls were? Or any speculation?

OB11

Heard there ended up being over 90 applications for this.

Donnie Jamon

Somebody lied to you. I heard 55 and 44. They came from two in the know

Nomad1324

Quote from: Donnie Jamon on May 05, 2015, 07:19:42 pm

May have been 90 calls of interest but I doubt 90 applicants as well.

purpleswag

Quote from: Donnie Jamon on May 05, 2015, 07:19:42 pm

Does it really matter?

Donnie Jamon

No. Only thing that matters is the W's

Donnie Jamon

But to Brookland people they have a right to be excited. Correct?

OB11

From the outside looking in, this hire will tell you a lot about what the admin at Brookland think about the football program.  With such a young program, the right coach could come in and build some momentum and start building a tradition.  Get the wrong guy, and it could go south quickly.  Hope they give the search due diligence and make a good hire.  They seem to be taking their time with it so hopefully they will.  I wish nothing but the best for that program.     

Loyalfan1

SB Bear

Quote from: buck780 on April 21, 2015, 01:05:34 pm
Brookland is a rapid growing school. They should pick up some additional good athletes this summer. The football program definitely has the community support and they are on their way of having a turf field In the near future. With having a assistant coach or two open as well maybe this position will peak the interest of some good candidates. I too are for the hiring of a GOOD young coach. I think with the right pick it should also bring the numbers up for the currently enrolled kids coming back to play football.
I think an older coach with several years of head coaching experience would be better than a young coach. Program is in a position where someone that has run a program for several years needs to come in and stabilize the situation. Young coaches are still learning on the job. The hire will be interesting. Do they want to hire someone with lots of experience or do they want someone young who will cost less to hire?

Nomad1324

Weren't they supposed to have someone by this week?

OB11

I have heard there are 3 finalists, but don't know when they are supposed to make a decision.

SB Bear

Any idea who the finalists are?

OB11

Quote from: SB Bear on May 13, 2015, 11:09:30 am
Any idea who the finalists are?

From what I have been told...

MacArthur Junior High Head Coach
Corning Head Coach
Greene County Tech Defensive Coordinator

Again, I believe this is what I was told.  If anyone else knows for sure please don't hesitate to correct me.

SB Bear

One coach with actual senior high head coach experience? And from Corning?

Donnie Jamon

From that list I don't know why they even ran off the coach they had.  That is embarrassing

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas