• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Campbell

Started by Uncle Ivan, June 20, 2011, 07:55:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DB

Quote from: Big Fan on June 25, 2011, 12:44:40 pm
Quote from: DB on June 21, 2011, 11:57:02 am
Can anybody name some recent championships that were won by teams that were known for defense?

On any level.
Monticello in '09

There's 1.

DB

Quote from: Hoghead on June 25, 2011, 01:12:08 amAs for Wynne, I still say they're gonna have some problems with the Spread throwing the ball. BUT..... the jet sweeps and draws out of the spread will be their strong points all year.

I totally agree that the passing game will not be polished this year.  But it will be fun to watch.  And it will improve as the QB learns to make his reads.  I believe the jet sweeps and draws will not only the money plays this but in years to come.  Wynne just has too much capability to not make those type plays successful.   The big thing about Hill's passing game, IMO, is that each passing play is designed to score.  The point being, he believes in the run game but he also wants to be able to score from anywhere when the game is on the line.

RATTLER43

We won 2A with a great D last year. There are now two.

DB

Quote from: RATTLER43 on June 27, 2011, 01:49:29 pm

Really?  Am I missing something?  It appears that in most of your games last year, you scored 40 points or more.  Looks like an offensive minded approach to me.

Big Fan

Quote from: DB on June 27, 2011, 02:35:18 pm

Really?  Am I missing something?  It appears that in most of your games last year, you scored 40 points or more.  Looks like an offensive minded approach to me.
I'm not that familiar with last year's Rattler team, but just because you score a lot of points doesn't mean you don't play great defense.  The '09 Billies averaged 40 per game due not only to a potent offense, but a defense that got them the ball back quickly and often on a short field. 

Ty

I don't know about most games but their defense definitely won it for them in the state championship game.

muleshoe_forever

Either the 08 or 09 2A championship game was a defensive struggle with JC coming out on top 10-8.

RATTLER43

Quote from: Big Fan on June 27, 2011, 02:44:41 pm

I'm not that familiar with last year's Rattler team, but just because you score a lot of points doesn't mean you don't play great defense.  The '09 Billies averaged 40 per game due not only to a potent offense, but a defense that got them the ball back quickly and often on a short field. 

We were adept at each phase of the game but could rest our chances against any team on our D. We beat 3A semifinalist West Fork 6-3. We knew we could stop any team we played. We held Danville scoreless at our place to win the conference title. 3 of our scores at WMS were scoop and scores by our D. Our D was great. In our one poor game last year, against Mtburg, we had to rely on our D because our offense sputtered all night long. Defense can win titles.

JC beat us last year in semifinals due to a stellar D then went on to beat Bearden at WMS with a great D.

I think winning can be accomplished with stellar offensive or defensive philosophies that are executed well. The state is moving more toward open offenses but D can still win titles. Ours did.

phdefense

Quote from: RATTLER43 on June 27, 2011, 05:51:39 pm

We were adept at each phase of the game but could rest our chances against any team on our D. We beat 3A semifinalist West Fork 6-3. We knew we could stop any team we played. We held Danville scoreless at our place to win the conference title. 3 of our scores at WMS were scoop and scores by our D. Our D was great. In our one poor game last year, against Mtburg, we had to rely on our D because our offense sputtered all night long. Defense can win titles.

JC beat us last year in semifinals due to a stellar D then went on to beat Bearden at WMS with a great D.

I think winning can be accomplished with stellar offensive or defensive philosophies that are executed well. The state is moving more toward open offenses but D can still win titles. Ours did.
So I guess that means 2A small ball has not caught up with the modern era.

Hoghead

Quote from: DB on June 27, 2011, 01:05:14 pm
Quote from: Hoghead on June 25, 2011, 01:12:08 amAs for Wynne, I still say they're gonna have some problems with the Spread throwing the ball. BUT..... the jet sweeps and draws out of the spread will be their strong points all year.

I totally agree that the passing game will not be polished this year.  But it will be fun to watch.  And it will improve as the QB learns to make his reads.  I believe the jet sweeps and draws will not only the money plays this but in years to come.  Wynne just has too much capability to not make those type plays successful.   The big thing about Hill's passing game, IMO, is that each passing play is designed to score.  The point being, he believes in the run game but he also wants to be able to score from anywhere when the game is on the line.

There is one play in paticular that Wynne will see over and over again in Hills offense. As you say Hill tries to score on every play. I saw 3 of his games at Bossier City Parkway last year. He scored on this pass play in every game.  You'll see a guy go in motion to the wide side......I won't give it away. But Wynne will score on it because it's just hard to stop it at the HS level.

FD4

General Trap, I hope you are not offended by this either, I mean this from the bottom of my heart, but for all of you other coaches that think you can coach.................I double dog dare you to try Coach Campbell at checkers...................you think defending the Diamond T is tough.  We miss you Coach and certainly miss counting all the "you knows" after each game on KWYN post game with Lindell.

Just so all of you know, no matter what offense you run, if you cant run the ball you not going to win championships! Right Coach.  See ya some day again Coach.

RATTLER43

Quote from: phdefense on June 27, 2011, 06:28:40 pm

Elaborate. Winning a title with good D does not mean we are behind the times.

We have a good offense too. We are very balance running and throwing. Our special teams are good, too.

Defense and offensive execution are key in 2A and 7A, in NCAA and in NFL.  We won our title with defense. It did not mean that our offense was inept or "old school" although we would run it down your throat on long sustained drives if needed. Just ask Carlisle. We also beat larger classification playoff schools with what we did:  West Fork made semifinals in 3A and Subiaco from 4A.

Steelers, Giants, Steelers, Saints won 4 of last 5 SBs with great D.
Auburn, Alabama, Florida, LSU, Florida won NCAA titles with stellar D. Even Texas knocked off USC with great defensive stand on a 4th and short play.

They could all do great things on offense but won with defense.

phdefense

Quote from: RATTLER43 on June 28, 2011, 05:00:41 pm
Quote from: phdefense on June 27, 2011, 06:28:40 pm

Elaborate. Winning a title with good D does not mean we are behind the times.

We have a good offense too. We are very balance running and throwing. Our special teams are good, too.

Defense and offensive execution are key in 2A and 7A, in NCAA and in NFL.  We won our title with defense. It did not mean that our offense was inept or "old school" although we would run it down your throat on long sustained drives if needed. Just ask Carlisle. We also beat larger classification playoff schools with what we did:  West Fork made semifinals in 3A and Subiaco from 4A.

Steelers, Giants, Steelers, Saints won 4 of last 5 SBs with great D.
Auburn, Alabama, Florida, LSU, Florida won NCAA titles with stellar D. Even Texas knocked off USC with great defensive stand on a 4th and short play.

They could all do great things on offense but won with defense.
Elaboration incoming: it is easier for a defense to look good in the 2A because the offenses are not as good.

RATTLER43

Offenses and defenses are on par with each other at each level. 2A defenses are also not typically as good as at other levels.

Elaborate more. Give evidence instead of generalizations. It makes it easier for us at the 2A level to understand.  ;D

phdefense

Quote from: RATTLER43 on June 28, 2011, 09:03:13 pm
Offenses and defenses are on par with each other at each level. 2A defenses are also not typically as good as at other levels.

Elaborate more. Give evidence instead of generalizations. It makes it easier for us at the 2A level to understand.  ;D
Okay to get to the brass tacks. A small school spouting that the old school approach still works generally falls on deaf ears. It is generally accepted that 1940 ball is viable in the 2A and 3A. Try that approach against the Nashville, Warren, Shiloh, PA & Greenwood when they are good as well and see where it gets you.

Ty

Quote from: phdefense on June 29, 2011, 03:39:00 pm
Quote from: RATTLER43 on June 28, 2011, 09:03:13 pm

Okay to get to the brass tacks. A small school spouting that the old school approach still works generally falls on deaf ears. It is generally accepted that 1940 ball is viable in the 2A and 3A. Try that approach against the Nashville, Warren, Shiloh, PA & Greenwood when they are good as well and see where it gets you.
Cabot's been successful for years running the T. West Memphis with the Wing-T.

You can win with an old school offense; stick Bentonville and Har-Ber in the Wing-T and they would still be playing late into November.

Evidence: The two large schools with somewhat similar talent to the 7A-West (similar, not the same) have been competitive in the past.

RATTLER43

June 29, 2011, 09:17:58 pm #66 Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:06:31 pm by RATTLER43
We did not win with old school thought. Our offense is very innovative and is very balanced with passing and running. We have a healthy vertical passing game. I am just agreeing with Coach that I believe defense and execution win titles. Greenwood's ability to stop CF gave them to opportunity to come back with incredibly precise execution and win. Ask Nashville what they thought of Shiloh's defense in the second half.....

The list goes on and on.

But I am done with this discussion. It seems to be moving toward a negative feeling and I am not into that. Just love discussing football and football philosophies.

Good luck to you and your team this fall. Hope you make it to the Rock.

bleudog

June 29, 2011, 09:58:57 pm #67 Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 04:23:03 pm by bleudog
Quote from: muleshoe_forever on June 27, 2011, 04:00:10 pm
Either the 08 or 09 2A championship game was a defensive struggle with JC coming out on top 10-8.

That was the '08 game against Des Arc.  Great defensive game from both teams.

Can anybody name some recent championships that were won by teams that were known for defense?

On any level.

JC may be known for a four-play, smash-mouth offense that racks up beaucoup points, but they play a little D in Dragon land too.

Here are the JC teams since 1998 who held their opponents to an average of less than 10 points per game.  The top four teams on this list played their last game of the year at WMS.  The top three on the list won that game.  (That fourth team lost their WMS game by one point.)

2009          3.79
2008          4.23
2003          6.20
2006          8.00
2007          8.42
2000          9.08
1998          9.36
2004          9.42

27 Trap

Your number 1 high school board. Fearless Fridays!

Re: Coach Campbell

« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2011, 04:45:37 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Trap, I hope you are not offended by this either, I mean this from the bottom of my heart, but for all of you other coaches that think you can coach.................I double dog dare you to try Coach Campbell at checkers...................you think defending the Diamond T is tough.  We miss you Coach and certainly miss counting all the "you knows" after each game on KWYN post game with Lindell.

Just so all of you know, no matter what offense you run, if you cant run the ball you not going to win championships! Right Coach.  See ya some day again Coach.

Still like to play checkers, play on-line some each day........remember my favorite statement,  "I just move my men and hope for the best"..........had a lot of fun over the years playing checkers.......Know in football always like  to move my men around and see if I can get a advantage someplace, had lots of fun doing that.......

Hoghead

Quote from: RATTLER43 on June 29, 2011, 09:17:58 pm
We did not win with old school thought. Our offense is very innovative and is very balanced with passing and running. We have a healthy vertical passing game. I am just agreeing with Coach that I believe defense and execution win titles. Greenwood's ability to stop CF gave them to opportunity to come back with incredibly precise execution and win. Ask Nashville what they thought of Shiloh's defense in the second half.....

The list goes on and on.

But I am done with this discussion. It seems to be moving toward a negative feeling and I am not into that. Just love discussing football and football philosophies.

Good luck to you and your team this fall. Hope you make it to the Rock.
No Greenwood's execution of a onside kick & a 2 point conversion provided them the oppertunity to beat Camden Fairview. If CFHS recovers that kick the Cards would've won. Greenwood just never gave up ! Camden chewed up big plays and yardage all day.

RATTLER43

Forced and recovered a fumble on drive prior when down by 14-defense. Kicked and recovered onside kick-execution. Scored after recovery. Execution.  You provided more evidence for my supposition. Defense and execution win. CF had so much offense(over 430 yards with 5 minutes to go in the game and did not win. A defensive play and great execution won it.

phdefense

Quote from: RATTLER43 on June 30, 2011, 03:01:18 pm
Forced and recovered a fumble on drive prior when down by 14-defense. Kicked and recovered onside kick-execution. Scored after recovery. Execution.  You provided more evidence for my supposition. Defense and execution win. CF had so much offense(over 430 yards with 5 minutes to go in the game and did not win. A defensive play and great execution won it.
This also and more so supports what the Greenwood posters have been saying. That aggressively going after catalytic plays while playing damage control and executing high tempo fast scoring offense is beginning to replace the old ball control & stone wall defensive approach.

Father Guido

Quote from: RATTLER43 on June 30, 2011, 03:01:18 pm

The difference in this game was coaching.  CF did NOT execute down the strecth.  Greenwood's coaching staff prepares their teams for just this type situations by having them execute to perfection...at the end of practices, under the pressure that, if they mess up one play, they go back and start over until they complete the drive with NO mistakes, penalties, missed blocks, or what ever.  Executing at the end of games is EXPECTED and practiced.

RATTLER43

spoony luv

Little factoid: the highest scoring offense in state history was a wing t team, 52 points a game and was 90percent run

bleudog

July 01, 2011, 04:37:20 pm #75 Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 04:47:34 pm by bleudog
Quote from: spoony luv on July 01, 2011, 04:14:10 pm
Little factoid: the highest scoring offense in state history was a wing t team, 52 points a game and was 90percent run

Wasn't that team's only loss in the title game where they scored 20 but gave up 47?

But to your point.  The team that holds the record for the most points scored in a season (753 in 2003) ran 95%+ of the time.  They would line up in either a wishbone or a double wing formation.  They probably intercepted more passes than they attempted that year and went undefeated.  CLICK HERE

phdefense

Quote from: spoony luv on July 01, 2011, 04:14:10 pm
Small Ball

Jeep71

Bottom line different styles are what makes it more interesting! That's all folks.

Father Guido

Quote from: Jeep71 on July 01, 2011, 09:45:54 pm
Bottom line different styles are what makes it more interesting! That's all folks.

That's for sure.  One of the most interesting match ups ever was the Greenwood/Wynne match ups, (you could throw in the P.A./Wynne games as well).  Which team's philosophy would prevail?  Great games with edge of the seat excitement.

bleudog

July 02, 2011, 09:24:56 am #79 Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 10:56:25 am by bleudog
Quote from: Father Guido on July 02, 2011, 09:00:36 am
Quote from: Jeep71 on July 01, 2011, 09:45:54 pm

That's for sure.  One of the most interesting match ups ever was the Greenwood/Wynne match ups, (you could throw in the P.A./Wynne games as well).  Which team's philosophy would prevail?  Great games with edge of the seat excitement.

"The Night the Lights Went Out in Junction City"

Nov 26, 1999   

Shiloh Christian - 70
Junction City - 64

No overtime.

USC couldn't stop the run; JC couldn't stop the pass. (mostly because the Dragon RBs who were putting up gaudy numbers were the same DBs having to cover the USC receivers.)

Malzahn referred to the game in "The Hurry-Up, No-Huddle: An Offensive Phisosophy."  You can get on Amazon and read Malzahn's account of the game by previewing pages 13-16.   

Someone in the parking lot or on Hwy 167 hit a power pole and did in a transformer.  After a lengthy delay, crews got the power back on but the clock and/or scoreboard wouldn't fire back up.  There are Dragon folks who til this day will contend USC scored their go ahead TD after the game should have been over.

In JC's first three possessions, they ran five plays.  Three of those were touchdown runs of 39, 93, and 79 yards.  With two minutes left in the first quarter, Dragon Marcus Godfrey had 238 yards and three TDs on five carries.

Godfrey finished with 308 yards and 3 scores on 24 carries.  He had 260 at the half with 220 of those yards on his first 4 carries.  Rhett Lashlie as a sophomore threw for 667 yards, 8 TD passes with two TD runs.  JC rushed for 616 yards as a team that night.

wynneaholic©

Quote from: Hoghead on June 28, 2011, 02:25:18 am
Quote from: DB on June 27, 2011, 01:05:14 pm

There is one play in paticular that Wynne will see over and over again in Hills offense. As you say Hill tries to score on every play. I saw 3 of his games at Bossier City Parkway last year. He scored on this pass play in every game.  You'll see a guy go in motion to the wide side......I won't give it away. But Wynne will score on it because it's just hard to stop it at the HS level.
the play is called "colorado" and i too wont give it away. but it is sweet.

27 Trap

In 1991 , my first year at Wynne we scored on the first play of game five times , all the same play,  again football is a game timing and execution , plus we had a good running back.....and some linemen who could block and gave great effort........

ricepig

Coach, what year did you start running the Wing-T? I remember playing Corning in the mid 70's and I thought it was more I formation. I do remember playing D-end and counting on having at least 2 guys hit me on the student body sweeps. We had some great games between Walnut Ridge and Corning, back then it was always for all the marbles.

Big Time

Quote from: DB on June 27, 2011, 12:39:34 pm
Quote from: Big Fan on June 25, 2011, 12:44:40 pm

On any level.
Monticello in '09

Nashville 06, 07

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: ricepig on July 08, 2011, 07:48:29 pm
Coach, what year did you start running the Wing-T? I remember playing Corning in the mid 70's and I thought it was more I formation. I do remember playing D-end and counting on having at least 2 guys hit me on the student body sweeps. We had some great games between Walnut Ridge and Corning, back then it was always for all the marbles.
Diamond T, Ricepig, diamond T. Wynne folks will flail your skin off for saying Wing T.

ricepig

I always get those T's mixed up, all seem the same to me, haha.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: ricepig on July 09, 2011, 06:19:25 pm
I always get those T's mixed up, all seem the same to me, haha.
Diamond T:
X
XXX XXX
X
X       X
X

Wing T:
X
XXX XXX
X
          X
X X 

27 Trap

:)

I use to run some I back in the mid-70's, Coach Noe used to run some I in the early 70's, just depended if we had a back who could do the job.....In the early 70's they ran the diamond T with a split end, I got away from that because people would shift down to the tight end side and cause me problems......We got a lot out of 28 sweep or the Corning sweep as some called it, when I went to Wynne and we played Newport with Coach Keedy , he called it  the "wad", had a lot of people coming at you, block down and kick out with guard and backs coming, tough play, made a lot of yards off that.....
Had some battles with the Walnut Ridge Bobcats , they had some great players and it was a dog fight, still remember the times when we left Walnut Ridge coming back to Corning and all the kids there at the Poplar Freeze waiting there to yell at us, had some great games and some good times.....Still remember Steve Schrable, the Bull, a heck of a football player.......

ricepig

Quote from: 27 Trap on July 10, 2011, 07:30:20 pm

I use to run some I back in the mid-70's, Coach Noe used to run some I in the early 70's, just depended if we had a back who could do the job.....In the early 70's they ran the diamond T with a split end, I got away from that because people would shift down to the tight end side and cause me problems......We got a lot out of 28 sweep or the Corning sweep as some called it, when I went to Wynne and we played Newport with Coach Keedy , he called it  the "wad", had a lot of people coming at you, block down and kick out with guard and backs coming, tough play, made a lot of yards off that.....
Had some battles with the Walnut Ridge Bobcats , they had some great players and it was a dog fight, still remember the times when we left Walnut Ridge coming back to Corning and all the kids there at the Poplar Freeze waiting there to yell at us, had some great games and some good times.....Still remember Steve Schrable, the Bull, a heck of a football player.......

Yeah, nobody would hit your harder than Bull. I always hated when he would screw up in practice and have to take on the team in "Bull in the ring". I know he enjoyed it more than the rest of the team.

27 Trap

Quote from: ricepig on July 10, 2011, 08:06:06 pm
Quote from: 27 Trap on July 10, 2011, 07:30:20 pm

Yeah, nobody would hit your harder than Bull. I always hated when he would screw up in practice and have to take on the team in "Bull in the ring". I know he enjoyed it more than the rest of the team.

When I left Corning and went to Sheridan I stopped in  W. R. to visit with him at "Bulls Used Cars", he was something else, remember when I was Jr. High Coach at Corning and we played them, think he was around 185lbs in the 8th grade, was tough and loved to play and hit people.....The W.R. vs Corning game was real big back in the 70's, great high school football.......
Had lots of great memories from those days, those were some great years , we had lots of fun during my 17yrs at Corning......That's what football and life  is all about , relationships with players and coaches,  great, great memories......thanks ....

ricepig

I agree Coach, loved the Friday nights and fellowship with my teammates. I also learned a lot of valuable lessons in life from my coaches, teachers, and administrators. The games with Corning were always battles and you definitely needed to have both chin straps buckled.

27 Trap

Quote from: ricepig on July 11, 2011, 08:52:07 pm
I agree Coach, loved the Friday nights and fellowship with my teammates. I also learned a lot of valuable lessons in life from my coaches, teachers, and administrators. The games with Corning were always battles and you definitely needed to have both chin straps buckled.

Always have said we teach more than fooball out there on that field, we teach "life", there are many lessons to be learned....Always told my kids that the things in life that mean the most to you are those  things you work the hardest to get, if it comes easy then there is not much value.....Being a "Champion" and knowing  how hard you worked and how much you had to sacrifice , those are the things you cherish...
Being a part of a "team" is special, knowing that if you are to achieve anything  then everyone on that team has a part to play, even those who are not first teamers, those who learn to push the first team or starters contribute , they guys on the sideline cheering for their teammate's, everyone has a part to play and all have a change to make that team "great".  It sure is exciting to see when a team comes together and reaches their maximum potential....Jesus made a great point over is John 13, when he said that whosever  is the greatest in the kingdom is "servant" of all.....When players learn to serve one another and strive to make that team great, is sure is exciting to be coaching that team, they are hard to beat....
Gosh. I sure loved the game and the kids who made it great......THANKS....

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: 27 Trap on July 12, 2011, 06:36:00 pm

Always have said we teach more than fooball out there on that field, we teach "life", there are many lessons to be learned....Always told my kids that the things in life that mean the most to you are those  things you work the hardest to get, if it comes easy then there is not much value.....Being a "Champion" and knowing  how hard you worked and how much you had to sacrifice , those are the things you cherish...
Being a part of a "team" is special, knowing that if you are to achieve anything  then everyone on that team has a part to play, even those who are not first teamers, those who learn to push the first team or starters contribute , they guys on the sideline cheering for their teammate's, everyone has a part to play and all have a change to make that team "great".  It sure is exciting to see when a team comes together and reaches their maximum potential....Jesus made a great point over is John 13, when he said that whosever  is the greatest in the kingdom is "servant" of all.....When players learn to serve one another and strive to make that team great, is sure is exciting to be coaching that team, they are hard to beat....
That's good stuff coach.  Thank you for sharing.

InYoGrill

Quote from: 27 Trap on July 12, 2011, 06:36:00 pm

Classic post!!!!   Should be put in a category of FF for Hall of Fame. Not to shine light on you Coach cause we all know that is not part of you but very well said and inspirational to all that read which applies to everything in life as you said earlier. +1 for the scripture as well.

ballhog

July 13, 2011, 02:10:29 am #94 Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:12:43 am by ballhog
I got to play center for Coach Campbell for 3 years from 97-99.  I was part of a special Wynne team in 99 that came up a little short in the semis against Alma.  I will never forget the sayings that coach gave us either on the field or off.  Coach always stressed that its not how hard or easy the play is but how well you can execute it.  I remember doing a play 30 times or more because it wasnt perfect.  Those four plays got Wynne to the be the team to beat for a long time.  I learned a lot from him and still think back to those days now.  Im lucky now and get to stay in the game by officiating football and I always hear stories about DC but I always have one to beat them with.  I want to thank you coach Campbell for being a honest man and coach for me and instilling in us how to perform on the field and off.  Proud to be a YellowJacket!! 

"A happy Jacket is a running Jacket!!"

Thanks Coach

Trent H.

whippersnapper

Got a question for Coach or anybody who knows a lot about the diamond t. In many run oriented offense that, offense has one play that makes all the rest of them work. EX. with the double wing it is power or toss whichever way you prefer to call it. And wing t it is bucksweep. But I've never had the chance to see the diamond t run against Mena in my years of being here and was wondering what is the one play that makes the diamond t special?

27 Trap

Quote from: bearcatwhippersnapper on July 15, 2011, 07:15:34 pm
Got a question for Coach or anybody who knows a lot about the diamond t. In many run oriented offense that, offense has one play that makes all the rest of them work. EX. with the double wing it is power or toss whichever way you prefer to call it. And wing t it is bucksweep. But I've never had the chance to see the diamond t run against Mena in my years of being here and was wondering what is the one play that makes the diamond t special?

Had to be the trap, we made a lot of yardage of it plus we had a lot of plays off the trap, we would fake the trap and pull the guard like we were going to run the trap and run others plays which were good to us..... But the trap set them up, you have got to have one play that you do really well , teams would work hard to stop the trap and we knew that , then we would try to hurt them something else off the trap fake....We also had about five or six ways to block the trap, had to keep then guessing....was at Black Mountain , N.C. years ago at FCA Conference and heard a coach spoke on don't change the play but change the blocking scheme, made a lot of sense and we came back and did just that....It goes back to our theory, "whatever you do is wrong", teams will make adjustments to stop you or slow you down and you must have something in your schemes to counter act what they do....
We had about four basic plays out of the Diamond T but we had lots of ways to block those plays plus a lot of options off those four plays......It sure was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it......Our motto , "When in doubt, run the trap", they best play in football, it goes north and south and it hits quick.....

Hoghead

Frank Webester of 1st Colonial High School in Va. Beach, Va. ran the Wing T offense. He never had a losing season in 20+ years of it. He'd trap you to death !  Then before the night was over he'd call a pass play that would break open because he had ran the ball 35 times in a row !

27 Trap

Wynne Yellowjackers Team Offense 1995-2006

27 Trap

WYNNE YELLOWJACKETS TEAM OFFENSE 1995 - 2006

Rushing               Passing               Record

1995                             2,722                   336                    8-3
1996                             3,186                   561                    9-1-1
1997                             3,664                   342                    8-4
1998                             2,960                   641                    9-3
1999                             4.287                   380                   12-1
2000                             4,494                   168                   12-1
2001                             5,001                   372                   11-2-1
2002                             3,756                   241                   10-2
2003                             3,669                     84                    9-3
2004                             4,396                   317                   12-2
2005                             4,101                   334                    9-3-1
2006                             4,207                   245                   10-3

Total                       42,687                  4,041              119-28-3

Regular season record for these twelve years     99-18-2

Good things happen when you can run it.....How  Bout' Them Jackets

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas