• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bernie Cox...Should Nutt hire him next??

Started by wampuscatblue, January 31, 2006, 10:53:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

wampuscatblue

Why not? His defense did stop the mighty Springdale Bulldogs two years in a row.  If Malzahn is qualified to coach offense in the SEC, then doesn't that mean Cox could call some defense?

With all the other stupid Malzahn topics out there, just thought I'd throw in one more to ponder.

BD Baby

EXCELLENT POINT!!! Bernie had Bledsoe, Fairchild, Robinson and Thornton as players. He also coached McFadden or McSpadden as a sophmore. That qualifies him enough for me.

MrThunder2004

wampuscatblue

Quote from: MrThunder2004 on January 31, 2006, 11:46:26 am
Hey,

What about Scooter Register ?
Allright, now you're overcooking my grits!  I guess Scooter could coach the special teams.  After all, he was close with Springdale for a half. 

I guess now Alabama will hire the guy from Hoover to be their offensive coordinator, and Florida can Hire the guy from Lakeland!

Uncle Ivan

Cox doesn't have a media hype machine behind him proclaiming that he is God.

Unlike another high school coach...

Tony the Tiger

Quote from: wampuscatblue on January 31, 2006, 10:53:56 am
Why not? His defense did stop the mighty Springdale Bulldogs two years in a row. If Malzahn is qualified to coach offense in the SEC, then doesn't that mean Cox could call some defense?

With all the other stupid Malzahn topics out there, just thought I'd throw in one more to ponder.
Cox calls the plays. Seigel is the Defensive Co-ordinator.

HSFBF

I think Register and Cox are both too old to be hired at the college level. I think both are in their mid-late 50s.. I think only one on the U of A staff is older than 52...  And, older guys don't seem to be able to relate well to the primadonnas at the college level who want someone younger who might understand their "world" better.. Most older HCs in college hire assustants as young as they can get that have reasonable experience. Some ascend through the ranks fast and others just get older and wither away.. Just my thoughts

Tony the Tiger

Quote from: HSFBF on January 31, 2006, 03:55:00 pm
I think Register and Cox are both too old to be hired at the college level. I think both are in their mid-late 50s.. I think only one on the U of A staff is older than 52... And, older guys don't seem to be able to relate well to the primadonnas at the college level who want someone younger who might understand their "world" better.. Most older HCs in college hire assustants as young as they can get that have reasonable experience. Some ascend through the ranks fast and others just get older and wither away.. Just my thoughts
JoePa
Terno

triple dog

How about the junior high coach in Springdale who was undefeated with all of those players.  He should be hired as well just like Gus.

rebelman11

Mabe he shouldve gotten the springdale high job.

rebelman11

Gonna be funny if Malazhan does great things isnt it.

brownie dawg

Nobody stopped Gus last year. Did Central have a team? I thought Coach Cox retired because I only hear about what he use to do.

olddog79

Quote from: brownie dawg on February 01, 2006, 08:52:59 pm
Nobody stopped Gus last year. Did Central have a team? I thought Coach Cox retired because I only hear about what he use to do.
I have a feeling someone is going to remind you about 2003 and 2004......oops, just did.

rebelman11

olddog79

It wasn't that long ago. And he's still a very good coach.

brownie dawg

I know. Nobody was suppose to see this but HIM

JacksonvilleGolfa

to bad cox is older than razorback football other than that it would be a great hire

rebelman11

All I was saying is you cant live on what you've done, ya SHS won the whole thing in 02 look at us right now see can't go on that.

JacksonvilleGolfa

I think Register and Cox are both too old to be hired at the college level. I think both are in their mid-late 50s.. I think only one on the U of A staff is older than 52... And, older guys don't seem to be able to relate well to the primadonnas at the college level who want someone younger who might understand their "world" better.. Most older HCs in college hire assustants as young as they can get that have reasonable experience. Some ascend through the ranks fast and others just get older and wither away.. Just my thoughts

Bernie Cox mid to late 50's??? haha where have you been for the other 20 years

arreferee

Quote from: JHSDevilGolfer on February 01, 2006, 09:56:57 pm

Bernie Cox mid to late 50's??? haha where have you been for the other 20 years

Coach Cox is around 61 (give or take a year).  Also, I talked to him last summer and he said he was going to coach for another 4-5 years if he could.  He still loves it and is still successful.  If we only had more like him around...

rhs_07

Quote from: wampuscatblue on January 31, 2006, 12:00:23 pm
Quote from: MrThunder2004 on January 31, 2006, 11:46:26 am
Hey,

What about Scooter Register ?
Allright, now you're overcooking my grits! I guess Scooter could coach the special teams. After all, he was close with Springdale for a half.

I guess now Alabama will hire the guy from Hoover to be their offensive coordinator, and Florida can Hire the guy from Lakeland!

Thank you for sarcasming some sense into him.

Tony the Tiger

What he use to do???

heffy22

2nd to none

What about Don Campbell? Hehe... another one to ponder.

7AFball

Cox, Register, The General in Wynne and several other "older" coaches out there are a blessing to the High School ranks of coaches. They probably NEVER would have gone to the college ranks and that's why you see 20-30 years on their high school resume' list. Something about the rewards and good feelings about seeing young impressionable high school players develop maturity and improve their skills. College coaching lacks some of that luster because the players already "know it all"...  Anyway, I salute those older guys who have stayed in the HS ranks as coaches, HC or assistants.. Special people.. Coach Frank McClelland in Barton was the "Dean" and now someone has to take his place. Guess it is Cox?  I know I am missing someone out there who is deserving - just came up with 3 quick examples..

Central_Tiger04

Norman calls the plays.  Cox is like Bobby Bowden but more hands on

sportsfan

Malzahn WON (past tense) one championship in the state's largest classification. Why is he so special now? His championship is in the past. That doesn't even classify as what he "used to do" because he only did it once. ("Used to do" refers to more than one ....).

It's funny because the "greatest high school coach of all time" (Malzahn) could not win it all with the "greatest talent Arkansas has ever seen" in 2003 or 2004. Remind me who they lost to.

footballfan-tastic

UA better make sure this latest move pans out before it hires anymore HS. coaches.  Not that those guys are not great, but if the move with Gus doesn't work it will be bad on the rest of em.

olddog79

footballfan-tastic

Just commentary, not really being negative just discussing the possibility.   At the very least we ought to expect it to take a few years to develop.  If they hit gold the first year, great, but I'd rather give em a little growing room.

key_stone12

Um Springdale in 03 wasn't that talented... at least compared to '05

Tony the Tiger

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas