• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Future Alignments and Restructuring

Started by 4real, January 25, 2018, 08:03:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

4real

OK, the supes come up with the plans every few years to fix things.  Looking through the glass, it would seem to be possible that several districts will have to build additional high schools due to overcrowding.  Some that come to mind, when thinking within the next 10-12 years:
Springdale, Bentonville, Rogers, Cabot, Bryant, maybe even Fayetteville.

That would lead to an infusion of larger high schools into the picture.  For the last 12 years, we've had a largest classification of 16 teams, due to the disparity in enrollment.  At some point, we made need to look at expanding the largest class to possible 24 teams.  Several 6A teams have an enrollment today that would've put them in 7A numbers 6-10 years ago.  This issue of disparity becomes lessened.  You could have 4 leagues of 6 teams each, send the top four from each to post season.

friscokid

In 10-12 years this might be possible with continuing growth. But what do you do with the other classifications? If you pull up 8 schools to make 24 in 7A, it stands to reason 6A will be 24 schools as well, so that means 16 schools would be pulled up from 5A. And on down the line.

4real

If there were 3-5 new high schools with 7A numbers, you're only pulling up 3 from 6A and so in

friscokid

So you want 24 schools in 7A and keep only 8 in 6A? That's the only way your plan doesn't shake up the whole rest of the state.

(I'm not necessarily against a 24-team 7A setup, in fact I like it when and if the size is there, but the lower classes need to be balanced too.)

4real

Maybe I didn't explain very well... I'm not talking about taking 8 teams out of 6A and leaving 6A with 8. 

There are several districts that are going to be way over capacity at their high schools.  For example, Springdale high and HarBer both have around 2500 kids. So, Springdale will have to build a 3rd high school at some point.  When that happens, the new high school will have numbers bigger than any 6A team, and the other two high schools will still be huge 7A schools.  Cabot and Bryant are around 2400 and over capacity at some point, they will have to split. Bentonville and Rogers will each need an additional high school at some point too. 
By that point, it might make sense to expand The largest class, and take some of the current 6A schools who have grown, like Jonesboro, Russellville, VB who will be the next to get bumped down with a new Springdale high, and maybe a West Memphis.

Then bump the biggest 3-4 from each class up to even the numbers.

dentist15

I also feel like you could restructure the 1A, 2A, 3A and 4A from 4 classifications to just 3 classifications...

FromTheBench

Quote from: dentist15 on January 30, 2018, 08:39:15 am
I also feel like you could restructure the 1A, 2A, 3A and 4A from 4 classifications to just 3 classifications...

Agreed!

footballfan-tastic

There used to be adequate numbers in each classification, the enrollment disparity is what got us into the situation we now see.  I would hate to be one of the smallest 7A's or 6A's as a result of your plan.  At the bottom you would most likely see the same schools with lower enrollment getting steamrolled year in and year out.  The answer is to have more large schools but there is little way to control that with Arkansas being such a small state in terms of population.  The only way would be a cap on large school enrollment that would force the largest districts to build new schools.

friscokid

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on January 31, 2018, 10:07:50 am
There used to be adequate numbers in each classification, the enrollment disparity is what got us into the situation we now see.  I would hate to be one of the smallest 7A's or 6A's as a result of your plan.  At the bottom you would most likely see the same schools with lower enrollment getting steamrolled year in and year out.  The answer is to have more large schools but there is little way to control that with Arkansas being such a small state in terms of population.  The only way would be a cap on large school enrollment that would force the largest districts to build new schools.

Texas has talked about a 4,000-student cap (9-12), but it won't go anywhere until Allen runs off something like five championships in a row.

4real

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on January 31, 2018, 10:07:50 am
You make good points, but I disagree about the schools at the bottom end of my idea getting steam rolled. NWA will continue to be neutralized by splitting.  The biggest schools right now are not the ones doing all the steam rolling in the major sports

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas