• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nashville

Started by polksalet, March 17, 2014, 12:32:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DerekOxford

Quote from: hogfan10 on September 17, 2014, 11:04:17 am
Quote from: DerekOxford on September 16, 2014, 01:31:22 pm
Quote from: polksalet on September 16, 2014, 01:23:50 pm
But coached about ten years, won three western division titles, because he inherited some good players. Yeah that seems like a logical statement.

Nutt did as good as the talent he had allowed him. He was good for 7-5 every year and a bowl trip. Occasionally he had a great team ('98, '02, '03, '06) and he went for 9 wins and 10 wins once.

He recruited some great players. Matt Jones and Darren McFadden are two of the most electrifying players to ever play in the SEC and he recruited both. It can be argued that Jones should've been at WR, but we won't go there.

If Nutt could've let his ego subside and let Malzahn do what he's been doing to college football since he arrived, he'd still be the coach here possibly.

Why do people think Malzahn didn't do what he wanted? We had 3 future NFL backs (2 1st rounders) in the backfield at the time, and we ran the ball out of multiple sets. Is that not exactly what Malzahn has done most of his coaching career. The one thing we didn't have was a mobile QB, so the read-option was run out of the wildcat set. Everybody (hog fans) expected us to pass (Mustain), but with those backs why would we? Personally I'm not a fan of Malzahn (I think he is user and opportunist), but he's not stupid; he played to the strengths of the team.

If you think that Nutt let Malzahn do whatever he wanted during that 2006 season, I can't help you. Sure, he let Malzahn run some stuff (Wild Woody against Auburn) and some of the direct snap stuff with McFadden, but if you think that Malzahn opened up the entire playbook, you're mistaken.

hogfan10

Quote from: DerekOxford on September 17, 2014, 12:39:45 pm
But coached about ten years, won three western division titles, because he inherited some good players. Yeah that seems like a logical statement.

Nutt did as good as the talent he had allowed him. He was good for 7-5 every year and a bowl trip. Occasionally he had a great team ('98, '02, '03, '06) and he went for 9 wins and 10 wins once.

He recruited some great players. Matt Jones and Darren McFadden are two of the most electrifying players to ever play in the SEC and he recruited both. It can be argued that Jones should've been at WR, but we won't go there.

If Nutt could've let his ego subside and let Malzahn do what he's been doing to college football since he arrived, he'd still be the coach here possibly.

Why do people think Malzahn didn't do what he wanted? We had 3 future NFL backs (2 1st rounders) in the backfield at the time, and we ran the ball out of multiple sets. Is that not exactly what Malzahn has done most of his coaching career. The one thing we didn't have was a mobile QB, so the read-option was run out of the wildcat set. Everybody (hog fans) expected us to pass (Mustain), but with those backs why would we? Personally I'm not a fan of Malzahn (I think he is user and opportunist), but he's not stupid; he played to the strengths of the team.

If you think that Nutt let Malzahn do whatever he wanted during that 2006 season, I can't help you. Sure, he let Malzahn run some stuff (Wild Woody against Auburn) and some of the direct snap stuff with McFadden, but if you think that Malzahn opened up the entire playbook, you're mistaken.

Well no kidding, I'm sure Nutt (the head coach) had veto power. But, what makes you think that malzahn would have done much different. We had NFL backs, and some NFL linemen; I don't remember any NFL QBs or WRs. Didn't Auburn lead the SEC  in rushing last year, with malzahn as the coach.

SUGARTOWN

DerekOxford

Quote from: hogfan10 on September 17, 2014, 12:48:39 pm

Well no kidding, I'm sure Nutt (the head coach) had veto power. But, what makes you think that malzahn would have done much different. We had NFL backs, and some NFL linemen; I don't remember any NFL QBs or WRs. Didn't Auburn lead the SEC  in rushing last year, with malzahn as the coach.

Damian Williams was a NFL WR, Monk got drafted and didn't pan out. Who knows what Mustain would've done if actually given the opportunity to succeed? He was 8-0 as the starter and got yanked for Casey Dick, and we all know what happened after that.

All I'm saying is that I don't think Nutt was on board with what Malzahn wanted to do, and so Malzahn changed his playbook to stuff that Nutt wanted ran. What they ran in 2006 isn't what he's running at Auburn. There's some similarities but it's not a carbon copy.

hogfan10

Quote from: DerekOxford on September 17, 2014, 01:38:39 pm
Quote from: hogfan10 on September 17, 2014, 12:48:39 pm

Damian Williams was a NFL WR, Monk got drafted and didn't pan out. Who knows what Mustain would've done if actually given the opportunity to succeed? He was 8-0 as the starter and got yanked for Casey Dick, and we all know what happened after that.

All I'm saying is that I don't think Nutt was on board with what Malzahn wanted to do, and so Malzahn changed his playbook to stuff that Nutt wanted ran. What they ran in 2006 isn't what he's running at Auburn. There's some similarities but it's not a carbon copy.

DW was a freshman WR who would catch a case of the drops at inopportune times. MM was a freshman QB who went 8-0 (really 7-0) on the back of the running game. He was prone to make bad decisions that led to turnovers, which is why he was replaced. I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt that the NFL was in his future.

I think that Malzahn is smart enough to adapt to the strengths of his team. His Auburn offense does look different than what he had at Arkansas, but it's still run oriented, and with players that he recruited. He would have had to have been a huge idiot, to want to change focus of Arkansas' offense when he had McFadden, Jones, and Hillis in the backfield.

hogfan10

Quote from: cuckoobird on September 17, 2014, 11:19:06 am
What coach isnt an opertunist

Oh, I think most are, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or think it's a good thing.

I think Malzahn took it to a new level though.

polksalet

hogfan10

Quote from: polksalet on September 18, 2014, 12:55:18 am
How so?

I think he used his high school class as leverage for a college coaching job. I think he left (except DW, he was already gone) them for Tulsa. I think he kept quite, when he could have defused things, in order to make himself look like a victim. I think honesty and integrity are two words he does not know the meaning of.

cuckoobird

I think he is more than qualified to be a head coach in college. Proof is in the pudding. Remember, this is his CAREER. Any would be a fool not to use any means necessary for promotion  unless they are immoral or against the law and thats not the case

hogfan10

Quote from: cuckoobird on September 18, 2014, 10:50:02 am
I think he is more than qualified to be a head coach in college. Proof is in the pudding. Remember, this is his CAREER. Any would be a fool not to use any means necessary for promotion  unless they are immoral or against the law and thats not the case

Not against the law, but certainly not moral. Anyone who withholds, conceals, or redirects information to intentionally deceive at the expense of another is questionable in character, as far as I'm concerned.
Now I don't know if my opinions about what happened at the UofA are correct, but part of why I don't is because Malzahn has never said a word, in agreement or disagreement about what was being rumored/speculated to have occurred at the UofA.  As long as he remained quite, he was golden; and it was at the expense of multiple families and careers. That might be how things are done (me,me,me), but that doesn't mean I have to agree with or like it.

cuckoobird

You ever think he has great character and is being silent to protect arkansas? Thats my theory because if houston had dirt on him he would have let it leak. "I called that play! And I made some pretty good calls today."

hogfan10

Quote from: cuckoobird on September 18, 2014, 12:19:47 pm
You ever think he has great character and is being silent to protect arkansas? Thats my theory because if houston had dirt on him he would have let it leak. "I called that play! And I made some pretty good calls today."

Possibly, but if he did, he left his former players out there with speculation running wild. I still have a hard time believing he would have done much different, if he would of had (which he might have had) full control. He's basically adapted his offense to fit the personnel he has available. Spread it way out, & throwing it around (what the fans wanted/expected) would have netted a worse result.

polksalet

From Fayetteville, likely best college coach on planet, make up reasons to dislike him while heralding a bloated Yankee who won three games last year. You people are insane.

hogfan10

Quote from: polksalet on September 18, 2014, 02:17:16 pm
From Fayetteville, likely best college coach on planet, make up reasons to dislike him while heralding a bloated Yankee who won three games last year. You people are insane.
Whatever, nowhere have questioned his ability as a coach, nor have I heralded another.

OLDSCHOOL82

This is an excellent nashville thread.

polksalet

Malzahn is bound to have had ancestors from south Howard county.

DerekOxford

Malzahn recruited A.J. Whitmore to Tulsa.

Get this thing back on track!

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: polksalet on September 18, 2014, 02:17:16 pm
Who's from Fayetteville? Gus was born in Texas...

Bigbossman

This thread has jumped the shark.

intruder

Nashville Scrappers! Going to take care of business tomorrow night. After that we will prepare for week 4, which has been anticipated by many.

Bigbossman

And then a few weeks after that we all put clothspins on our noses, and travel south to the home of the graffiti artist, the picassos of the south, thats right everybodys favorite whipping Post. Ashdown. And believe me when I say I hope we run that score Into tripple digits! 

intruder

And finally we may have gotten back on track!  I will say that our offensive weapons are second to none.  Defense has given up 10 points, 7 came on a missed tacle

redeye819

Quote from: Bigbossman on September 18, 2014, 09:09:15 pm
And then a few weeks after that we all put clothspins on our noses, and travel south to the home of the graffiti artist, the picassos of the south, thats right everybodys favorite whipping Post. Ashdown. And believe me when I say I hope we run that score Into tripple digits!
Not sure about triple digits, but wouldn't be surprised if the score is like 73-3

intruder

Red eye, missed your services today, don't worry, job got done

polksalet

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas