• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A conference (only)

Started by Go Postal, March 31, 2011, 08:24:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Go Postal

Many Great players in All conferences in this great State, but let's just concentrate on 5A at this time, on this blog.  Thank you sevenof400, for your attention on this sport.  I appreciate any input from 5A posters on all 5A teams (especially 5A West teams).  Comments, insights, knowledge of the 5A teams.

Go Postal

Let's start out with the Golden Goblins and Lady Goblins.  Great start in conference play.

BHS

Who is going to challenge Harrison in the conference this year? Both boys and girls?

arksoc

From what I've heard on the boys side, the question should be, "who is going to challenge Siloam Springs?"

soccer fan

siloam in boys, nobody in girls

sevenof400

Given that Harrison and Siloam play each other on the last day of the regular season, it might go down to that last game to decide the west boys champ.

sportsman33

April 05, 2011, 04:28:34 pm #6 Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:30:32 pm by sportsman33
What about Monticello? There not a top program by far but they have some athletes on the field and some smart player. Also Lr Mills has talent as well i dont know much about the coaching they have but there not too bad themselves.

arkansas_traveller

I think he's directionally challenged and only wanted to talk about the west.  The teams to beat again this year will be LRCA and CAC if discussion is open for the 5A "Classification".

Go Postal

Quote from: arkansas_traveller on April 05, 2011, 05:26:11 pm
I think he's directionally challenged and only wanted to talk about the west.  The teams to beat again this year will be LRCA and CAC if discussion is open for the 5A "Classification".
I apologize for making my opening statement a little bias/directionally challenged for the West, but I really would like for information on all 5A conference players and teams in this Great State of ours to see who and what could be at the end of regular season and going into the playoffs.  If you want to talk for or against any team in your own individual conference during regular season, that is fine.  Let's wait until the playoffs for cross conference talk against each other.  I think you could be right about LRCA, they have beaten us and we have beaten them in previous years, a great team.  CAC, I don't have any info on them, but should have a great team also.

wonderboy

CAC is not the team of old.  No possesion. Plays kickball. Its Siloams to lose. Harrison has the size to challenge Siloam and could hurt them with their set pieces.

BHS

Siloam and Harrison will be a good game.  Are we sure that the West will win state this year?

What about girls?  I know LRCA and Harrison are solid, but who else is?  I assume CAC is pretty good again this year as well.

Sir Alex

The only thing for sure is that on May 20th someone will win state and the other team will be 2nd. 

Go Postal

The Standings are starting to show up a little better as we get closer to midseason (sevenof400 still needs updated game scores for a clearer picture on some conferences).  There looks like a three way tie in the SouthEast boys so far.  FF Posters, please update and share information on your respectful teams.
  In the West, Harrison Golden Goblins, Lady Goblins, Siloam Springs Panthers and Lady Panthers seem to be doing very well as conference leaders (SS still with one makeup game to be played).  Siloam Springs @ Harrison on April 12 should be a great game between these two great rivals in all sports.  Both towns boys and girls teams are putting up respectfully nice scores so far and these 2 games on the 12th should come down to who has the best defense.

BHS

Quote from: Go Postal on April 09, 2011, 09:53:09 am
The Standings are starting to show up a little better as we get closer to midseason (sevenof400 still needs updated game scores for a clearer picture on some conferences).  There looks like a three way tie in the SouthEast boys so far.  FF Posters, please update and share information on your respectful teams.
  In the West, Harrison Golden Goblins, Lady Goblins, Siloam Springs Panthers and Lady Panthers seem to be doing very well as conference leaders (SS still with one makeup game to be played).  Siloam Springs @ Harrison on April 12 should be a great game between these two great rivals in all sports.  Both towns boys and girls teams are putting up respectfully nice scores so far and these 2 games on the 12th should come down to who has the best defense.

Seems like there is a big drop off on the girls side after the top 3.  Is that the same case for the boys?

Arbitro

Quote from: Go Postal on April 09, 2011, 09:53:09 am
I have seen all of the 5A SE teams except LR Christian, but I have spoken with several of the other coaches and think I have a fairly good take on that team as well.  At this point in the season there is a pretty good gap between LR Christian and the other teams in the conference.  It seems unlikely that anyone is going to seriously challenge them for the #1 position.  Sylvan Hills and White Hall look to be battling for the #2 and #3 positions.  Despite the PK win by White Hall in their first meeting, at this point Sylvan Hills looks like the slightly stronger team to me.  We will find out more when White Hall travels to SH later in the season.  There is another gap in skill between those two and the remaining three teams.  At this point Mills is in the drivers seat for the 4th seed, but there could be some surprises as well.

Going further out on a limb, I would say that when it comes to the state tournament only LR Christian has a chance to do much damage, but it remains to be seen if they have enough to defend their title.  It is impossible to know for sure, but at this point I don't see the other SE teams advancing very far.

There are a lot of games left to be played, so all the teams have plenty of work to do before anything is decided.

NPHSsoccer

Hello again Arbito, NPHS player here. LR Christian was a way better team. They were all experienced and they could pass the ball great. There defense never had to do anything because they always had the ball on our side of the field. We haven't went against White Hall yet, but sylvan hills has some decent passing and they do a lot of give and go's. Sylvan hills defense wasn't the greatest but it was pretty good. There midfielder number 7 is the only one we have to watch out for. If you step in to far he just turns and goes from there and he has all that open field. Our team always gets killed by through balls but our sweeper, Spencer Johnston is amazingly fast and he can get to it, but when he does that, he leaves the middle field open and that's a risk he takes. He's a very skilled soccer player.

Go Postal

Siloam at Harrison game:
Lady Goblins were very talented with their set pieces and physical ability.  Lady Panthers had a hard time getting past Harrison's defense, but were more aggressive in the last half.  Halftime ended 1-1.  Lady Goblins win 3-1.

The Panthers were a very swift team and had great ball control.  The Golden Goblins were bigger and more physical.  Halftime ended 1-1.  Harrison had a great comeback in the last few minutes to tie at 3-3.  This was a very slugfest game against these two rivals.  The refs let them play on for most of the game, with a few warnings on both sides, then SS started getting carded for too many obvious fouls, especially the one in the box in the last few seconds to give Colliver a PK to tie the game.  Don't get me wrong, the Panthers are a very skillfull and talented team and played the better game for most of the night.  A great rivalry between these two.    The Golden Goblins win 8-6 in overtime PKs.

Both games were great to watch.

Trophy Guy

Quote from: Go Postal on April 12, 2011, 10:05:19 pm
The Golden Goblins win 8-6 in overtime PKs.

How do you win 8 to 6 on kicks from the mark?

SirSoccer

the final PK was from behind the arc, 2 pts.

sevenof400

Quote from: SirSoccer on April 13, 2011, 02:23:52 pm

Wouldn't that be for 3?  ;D ;D

sevenof400

Quote from: Trophy Guy on April 13, 2011, 02:11:40 pm

I took that to mean 3-3 in regulation with Harrison winning 5-3 in KFTM.  At least, that is what I put in the standings....

Trophy Guy

SirSoccer

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 13, 2011, 03:16:03 pm
Quote from: SirSoccer on April 13, 2011, 02:23:52 pm

Wouldn't that be for 3?  ;D ;D

no no, lets not get crazy, this isn't basketball.

Go Postal

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 13, 2011, 03:17:07 pm
Quote from: Trophy Guy on April 13, 2011, 02:11:40 pm

I took that to mean 3-3 in regulation with Harrison winning 5-3 in KFTM.  At least, that is what I put in the standings....
That is correct.

Soccer1212

How is Lakeside High School? They seem like they are doing good this year.

bobcat 15

to be honest i have seen little rock christian play and they are not that good. they are number one on the side but look at the teams they are playing. second CAC are not doing so great. what i think is that lake is a better team to make it to the finals than any of those two teams

arksoc

The AAA did not do LRCA any favors by moving them to the very weak 5A SE. It does not bode well for their level of preparedness going into the state tournament. Lakeside has a solid squad, but LRCA did beat them in non-conference play. Both Lakeside and CAC will have played tougher schedules in the SW. And, apparently no other 5A conference compares to the West for level of competition top to bottom. Don't know much about the East.

sevenof400

Quote from: arksoc on April 19, 2011, 10:06:26 pm
.. And, apparently no other 5A conference compares to the West for level of competition top to bottom. ..

Maybe in the top three, but after that.....there is a definite separation between 1-3 and 4-6 in the West. 

I do agree that the West is the hardest conference this year though....(and most years).  Getting about time to look at some potential playoff matchups....

Sir Alex

The West is tough but I think you have a similar scenario with the Southwest.  I could be wrong but the current #1 team beat the current #4 team by 1 goal.  I was not at the game so I don't know how close it really was.

soccerfan7930

Who is everyone's favorite to win this year? I heard LRCA is a bit down this year. That may give other teams a chance to snatch one.

Go Postal

Does anyone have any info on the condition of towns hit by tornadoes last night?  Is everyone okay in Vilonia, Little Rock and others?

speatic

Go Postal

As far as I know at this moment, Greenwood at Harrison is still scheduled tonight and Morrilton at Harrison tomorrow night.  Everyone please update schedules changes and game scores on the scores blog.
I hope that everyone is safe and sound after this weather disaster.

Go Postal

April 28, 2011, 08:13:41 pm #33 Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:42:02 am by Go Postal
Games started earlier at 4pm.  I missed the girls game because of work, but I hear the Lady Goblins did a fine game winning 2-0 against the Lady Bulldogs.
Conference play:
Lady Goblins 7-0

The boys game went back and forth with shots, crosses and corners to the goal a little off the mark for both teams, maybe because of the strong cross wind, but the goalies on both teams proved their worth on stopping the ball.  Harrison seemed to be making more shots to goal than Greenwood,  Then the Bulldogs scored at around 15 minutes left in the last half with a goal that hit the top bar and went straight down to the line in front of the Goblin goalie.  I didn't think it went in pass the line, but the ref said it was good. Goblin Dalton Young scored at around 3 minutes left with a nice slide goal in the bottom left hand corner of the Bulldogs goal to make it 1-1.  Harrison looked like they scored at 9 seconds left with the same goal that Greenwood had earlier, but was ruled as no goal.  Both teams played well, especially the goalies.  Greenwood won in OT PKs 3-2. 
Conference play:
Harrison 6-1
Greenwood 5-1
This makes the boys seedings for playoffs a lot more interesting.

Sir Alex

Quote from: Go Postal on April 28, 2011, 08:13:41 pm
Games started earlier at 4pm.  I missed the girls game because of work, but I hear the Lady Goblins did a fine game winning 2-0 against the Lady Bulldogs.
Conference play:
Lady Goblins 7-0

The boys game went back and forth with shots, crosses and corners to the goal a little off the mark for both teams, maybe because of the strong cross wind, but the goalies on both teams proved their worth on stopping the ball.  Harrison seemed to be making more shots to goal than Greenwood,  Then the Bulldogs scored at around 15 minutes left in the last half with a goal that hit the top bar and went straight down to the line in front of the Goblin goalie.  I didn't think it went in pass the line, but the ref said it was good. Goblin Dalton Young scored at around 3 minutes left with a nice slide goal in the bottom left hand corner of the Bulldogs goal to make it 1-1.  Harrison looked like they scored at 9 seconds left with the same goal that Greenwood had earlier, but was ruled as no goal.  Both teams played well, especially the goalies.  Greenwood won in OT PKs 3-2. 
Conference play:
Harrison 6-1
Greenwood 5-1
This makes the boys seedings for playoffs a lot more interesting.

Is this the appropriate thread?  Harrison was terrible.   

Go Postal

I said both teams played well, I didn't say great.  I would like to hear your input on the problem with the game.

hogbert

Is this the appropriate thread?  Harrison was terrible.   
[/quote]

that right there made me laugh out loud. well played.

Sir Alex

Quote from: Go Postal on April 29, 2011, 12:36:37 pm
I said both teams played well, I didn't say great.  I would like to hear your input on the problem with the game.

No, you would not!

Go Postal

The Lady Goblins are still dominating with their set pieces and solid play, winning 9-0.  They move to 8-0 in conference play.
The Golden Goblins were much, much better with their ball control tonight and knowing what was happening on the pitch at all times.
In the 1st quarter, Harrison came out hot when Lovell scored with an assist from Prior at 39:24.  In the 2nd quarter, Morrilton looked like they were trying to attack the goal more, but could not get pass the Goblins defense.  The Devil Dogs never seemed to have the "Give Up" attitude because of the score and kept striving on.  Harrison wins 4-0 and moves to 7-1 in conference play.
Great Job to the Lady Goblins and Golden Goblins.

Go Postal

Looks like a great day for soccer.  Good Luck to the Golden Goblins and Lady Goblins on tonight's game.

Go Postal

May 08, 2011, 10:33:50 am #40 Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 10:36:32 am by Go Postal
Congratulations for a perfect season to the:
Lady Goblins 10-0 (sorry, being a little bias:  Phenomenal)
Lady Pioneers 8-0
Lady Warriors 8-0
Lady Mustangs 7-0
Warriors 10-0
Pioneers 8-0
and to all other the teams that put their time, sweat, skill, and blood into playing soccer (futbal) and showing that Arkansas has the talent and that proving the USA is a always a contender in the rest of the world.  I use to be. "soccer, huh?", but  after my son played and then got a State Championship Ring, I have learned to love soccer (don't get me wrong, I still love American football), World Cup, MLS, etc.  I try to tell the soccer USA nonbelievers or uninformed when they say, "Boring, they only scored or had 1 point in the game for the win or that they are kicking the ball backwards from the goal", my response is "Picture a basketball game (constantly moving, using no hands) on a court that is bigger than a football field and that what they did to get that 1 goal"  Boring, I say not.  The USA has great sports, but we are trying to catch up with the rest of the World on soccer.  We are doing a great job with youth soccer, high school soccer, college teams soccer, MLS and Team USA.  My point is that USA soccer players and parents should inbrace the sport, even though when soccer season is over.  Let's give the World something to think about the USA.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas