• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015-2016 Arkansas basketball

Started by beach bum, November 14, 2015, 12:02:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

chaoslord

Here are the numbers from the website

Operating expenses: $1,871,088
Total expenses: $8,425,122
Total Revenues: $16,314,973

I also like how xad was demanding concrete proof of revenues but then says he used his own anecdotal experience to say why we are missing out on all this concession money. That's... not how proof works. ??? Here is my anecdotal experience: My wife and I hold season tickets (we also had the SEC pack as extra so for those 5 games we had 4 tickets) and never purchase anything at BWA. Well, almost never anyway, we bought maybe 5 of the $3 waters between the two of us the whole year. They got at most $7.50 a person out of my family for concessions over the whole year.

It is possible we are missing out on some small amount of revenue. I have no idea how the vendor contracts work but I sincerely doubt we are getting 100% of those dollars anyway. All that is to say, that number is not going to motivate Jeff Long to act. If you have ever met Jeff Long and heard him speak you would realize how important the academic mission he has set out for the student athletes is to him. It makes him proud. He wants to win, make no mistake about it, but he also has the vision that most of these kids are going to have to do something other than sports when their time at the University finishes and wants them to succeed in that. He won't put up with us being in the dumpster but he will happily miss out on some amount of concession money if it means his student athletes are continuing to do well in the classroom. I mean, when Mike Anderson signed his contract extension his base salary stayed the same but he got the possibility of bonuses based on academics. Remember that the Hogs were down a scholarship when Mike came in because of grades. Now our APR is perfect (or close to it).

If you want to start talking sharp decline in season ticket sales, that is way more powerful of a motivator because that money is more reliable to count on than concessions and goes a long way to help funding other sports. If the season ticket sales are still high, the student athletes are doing well in the classroom, and the team is at least alright, Long will be more than happy to let it ride. He might not be okay with "alright" for many years in a row, but for a given year if you check those boxes you are gonna be safe.

I personally think next year should be NIT minimum. However, I recognize that this may be over zealous since our program is still trying to rebuild itself into a position where we are constantly in the NCAA tournament and would not be surprised if Jeff Long takes a different view of the situation. As stupid as this team played at times (Stanford, Mississippi State), 16-16 was still probably overachieving for this group of players and shows that Mike isn't a bad coach. His win totals were 18, 19, 22, and 27 in his first four years. He still hasn't had a losing season ever as an NCAA head coach. Yes, it may turn out that he is not the right man for the job here, but he has done a lot to turn the academic culture of the basketball program around and because of that Jeff Long is going to give him as many chances as he can.

ricepig

I would have posted the numbers, but I knew they wouldn't suffice, coming from me, haha. As I've stated before, basketball revenue hasn't changed much in the past 10 years, what's changed is it's percentage of our budget. $16m of a $58m budget is big, $16m of a $115m budget isn't, in comparison.

xadboy

Quote from: ricepig on March 23, 2016, 07:41:19 am
Umm, is it verbal attacks you wish, B.G. doesn't care too much for them, but I'll be more than happy to oblige you. I did notice you changed the subject once you found out Men's basketball made an $8m profit last year, kind of blows your attendance theory will get Anderson fired, lol. He'll get fired on results, and they won't be your standard of results, or mine, but Long's and the administration's.
You shot first, so I just played your game pigman. Besides I didn't change the subject. Attendance sucks and it does cost the U of A money because of it. So what part of that does your little pea brain doesn't understand?

DerekOxford

2011–12    17–3 (.850)    5–3 (.625)    262,329    13,116    23rd
2012–13    17–1 (.944)    9–0 (1.000)    252,857    14,047    17th
2013–14    17–2 (.895)    7–2 (.778)    280,465    14,023    10th
2014–15    16–2 (.889)    7–2 (.778)    283,485    15,749    11th
2015–16    13–4 (.765)    6–3 (.667)    258,705    15,217    N/A

After Mike's first year, attendance has been amongst top 20 in the country since, and in the top 15 the last two years. National attendance figures for this past season probably won't be released until this summer, but they will probably be in the top 20 again.

For comparison, here was attendance under Pel:

2007–08    15–1 (.938)    7–1 (.875)    274,360    17,148    8th
2008–09    12–6 (.667)    2–6 (.250)    288,781    16,043    11th
2009–10    11–8 (.579)    5–3 (.625)    256,667    13,509    17th
2010–11    15–3 (.833)    5–3 (.625)    216,999    12,055    29th

Very good first two years, followed by steep decline. You could actually say attendance got him fired.

bdubyab60

Reading comprehension please!!!

xadboy

Quote from: DerekOxford on March 23, 2016, 10:32:52 am

After Mike's first year, attendance has been amongst top 20 in the country since, and in the top 15 the last two years. National attendance figures for this past season probably won't be released until this summer, but they will probably be in the top 20 again.

Very good first two years, followed by steep decline. You could actually say attendance got him fired.
Are those tickets sold numbers or actual attendance?

DerekOxford

Quote from: xadboy on March 23, 2016, 10:53:40 am
Are those tickets sold numbers or actual attendance?

It's tickets sold, but that's what the NCAA goes by.

ricepig

Quote from: xadboy on March 23, 2016, 10:31:05 am
You shot first, so I just played your game pigman. Besides I didn't change the subject. Attendance sucks and it does cost the U of A money because of it. So what part of that does your little pea brain doesn't understand?

Well yardboy, you kept trying to insinuate that Anderson was going to lose his job because when you looked on TV, it wasn't full. I just tried to show you that wasn't going to happen as it now stands. I'm sorry your level of reading comprehension lends you incapable of understanding that.

Just as they aren't going to fire Bielema because the stadium isn't full, they aren't going to fire Anderson. So, you better hitch your horse to another wagon if you're looking to can him.

ricepig

Quote from: DerekOxford on March 23, 2016, 10:32:52 am

It was used as a reason back when he was fired, but anyone that thinks Pel and Mike have the same standards to meet, doesn't know the history of Arkansas basketball.

AirWarren

This turned into a dumpster fire quick.

xadboy

Quote from: ricepig on March 23, 2016, 11:39:15 am
Well yardboy, you kept trying to insinuate that Anderson was going to lose his job because when you looked on TV, it wasn't full. I just tried to show you that wasn't going to happen as it now stands. I'm sorry your level of reading comprehension lends you incapable of understanding that.

Just as they aren't going to fire Bielema because the stadium isn't full, they aren't going to fire Anderson. So, you better hitch your horse to another wagon if you're looking to can him.
My, my how the mighty pigpen has fallen. My observation of actually being at some of those games this year was attendance was not as good as being reported. Due to that I said that would be one of the reasons that help MA get fired.

How many games have you been to pigpen?

xadboy

Quote from: DerekOxford on March 23, 2016, 11:10:45 am
It's tickets sold, but that's what the NCAA goes by.
Can you read that pigpen?

DerekOxford

Quote from: xadboy on March 23, 2016, 12:34:01 pm

Tickets sold is a pretty good barometer of where your program is. The less people buying tickets, the fewer amount of butts will actually be in seats.

We haven't even gotten into the discussion of how whenever the crowd does show up (Ole Miss, LSU last year, UK this year), the team loses. Until the team wins a big game again in front of a large crowd (which I would define as 18K+), then you'll continue to see attendance where it is.

ricepig

Quote from: xadboy on March 23, 2016, 12:34:01 pm

DA, that's what I told you that matters, tickets sold, not attendance.

ricepig

Quote from: xadboy on March 23, 2016, 12:32:09 pm
My, my how the mighty pigpen has fallen. My observation of actually being at some of those games this year was attendance was not as good as being reported. Due to that I said that would be one of the reasons that help MA get fired.

How many games have you been to pigpen?

They report both, I guess you have no clue of how to read. They'll give attendance, which is actually tickets sold, and actual attendance. It's a shame you can't realize how bad you're getting owned in this thread.

As far as my attendance, I went to 7 games this year, but I have season tickets. My oldest used them if they weren't otherwise spoken for.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on March 23, 2016, 12:24:57 pm
This turned into a dumpster fire quick.

For some reason he likes to argue with facts. I never said that there were less butts in the seats than the announced attendance, everyone knows that. I only stated that season ticket sales were up this year, at a higher price, thus attendance isn't a factor today in deciding MA's future. If attendance, and more importantly, donations take a big downturn next year, then yes, it will factor in Long's decision.

xadboy

Quote from: ricepig on March 23, 2016, 01:12:15 pm
They report both, I guess you have no clue of how to read. They'll give attendance, which is actually tickets sold, and actual attendance. It's a shame you can't realize how bad you're getting owned in this thread.

As far as my attendance, I went to 7 games this year, but I have season tickets. My oldest used them if they weren't otherwise spoken for.
Pigpen you are such a pathetic debater. My point is and has been from the start that attendance not tickets sold is not as high as being reported. That would factor in to the UA getting rid of MA. No where in here have you come up with any proof go dispute what I'm saying. All you want to do is keep going back to tickets sold. Which everyone knows is not an accurate account of how many is in attendance of the game. As far as being owned, I find that very funny because you can't prove me wrong. My advice to you is to just say no to drugs. They have warped your mind. Feel sorry for people like you who live in a drug induced fantasy land. Remember just say no.

xadboy

Quote from: ricepig on March 23, 2016, 01:25:07 pm
For some reason he likes to argue with facts. I never said that there were less butts in the seats than the announced attendance, everyone knows that. I only stated that season ticket sales were up this year, at a higher price, thus attendance isn't a factor today in deciding MA's future. If attendance, and more importantly, donations take a big downturn next year, then yes, it will factor in Long's decision.
Facts? What facts? I've said the whole time is about butts in the seats. Don't care about tickets sold. Now you just said what I have been talking about the whole time. By maybe 1K to Maybe 6k not showing up for the games that UA loses money by loss of merchandise/concession sales. Since you just said my exact point in all this, why did you start taking shots at me if you actually agree with what I said? Man I love having a spirited debate on here but if you make it personal then I will fire shots back at you. SMH wondering why?

Romeo

Wow... this reminds me of the old arguments on the political board. ah the memories.

ricepig

Quote from: xadboy on March 23, 2016, 01:28:45 pm
Pigpen you are such a pathetic debater. My point is and has been from the start that attendance not tickets sold is not as high as being reported. That would factor in to the UA getting rid of MA. No where in here have you come up with any proof go dispute what I'm saying. All you want to do is keep going back to tickets sold. Which everyone knows is not an accurate account of how many is in attendance of the game. As far as being owned, I find that very funny because you can't prove me wrong. My advice to you is to just say no to drugs. They have warped your mind. Feel sorry for people like you who live in a drug induced fantasy land. Remember just say no.

And I have repeatedly told you that attendance this year has no factor in MA's firing. You have offered no proof that it has any effect on his job security. The fact that "tickets sold" and thus "income/revenue" is still there, just proves my point that the actual attendance won't play into the decision. When, and if, season tickets and donations/revenues take a markedly decrease, then a decision will be made. We are not there presently, so keep on bringing up non-conference games from a championship and runner-up years 21+ years ago as your lynchpin.

I wish I could blame your lack of comprehension on drugs, but I'm afraid it's just wanton stupidity.

ricepig

Quote from: xadboy on March 23, 2016, 01:37:59 pm
Facts? What facts? I've said the whole time is about butts in the seats. Don't care about tickets sold. Now you just said what I have been talking about the whole time. By maybe 1K to Maybe 6k not showing up for the games that UA loses money by loss of merchandise/concession sales. Since you just said my exact point in all this, why did you start taking shots at me if you actually agree with what I said? Man I love having a spirited debate on here but if you make it personal then I will fire shots back at you. SMH wondering why?

And those butts not being there were for the most part, seats already paid for. The athletic dept is not missing out on some gold mine by those seats not being occupied, it's a whole lot less than you think. We pay Sodexo to do our concessions, and only get a cut, we got less than 25% of the alcohol sales in the club areas for football, so you do the math. Even in your ill conceived merchandise/concessions sales attempt earlier, 25% of that would be $1m, thus less than 1% of our budget, they aren't firing anyone for that.

xadboy

Quote from: ricepig on March 23, 2016, 01:51:53 pm
And those butts not being there were for the most part, seats already paid for. The athletic dept is not missing out on some gold mine by those seats not being occupied, it's a whole lot less than you think. We pay Sodexo to do our concessions, and only get a cut, we got less than 25% of the alcohol sales in the club areas for football, so you do the math. Even in your ill conceived merchandise/concessions sales attempt earlier, 25% of that would be $1m, thus less than 1% of our budget, they aren't firing anyone for that.
So you just proved my point by saying 1M in losses. Any business wants to make all the money they can. Like I've been saying that this would be one of the factors for getting rid of MA. Another year like this one and I think with performance and money losses will get MA fired. Never did I say that the money would be the only reason to get rid of him. So if you agree with me to a certain extent, why did you personally attack me?

ricepig

Quote from: xadboy on March 23, 2016, 02:20:40 pm
So you just proved my point by saying 1M in losses. Any business wants to make all the money they can. Like I've been saying that this would be one of the factors for getting rid of MA. Another year like this one and I think with performance and money losses will get MA fired. Never did I say that the money would be the only reason to get rid of him. So if you agree with me to a certain extent, why did you personally attack me?

When you can provide my with a link that says the average attendee spends $30 at a Razorback basketball game on concessions/merchandise, then I will acknowledge your $1m as a possibility. It still won't factor in at less than 1% of our athletic budget, but you will have proven at least one of your points.

ricepig

Quote from: xadboy on March 23, 2016, 02:20:40 pm

Does this sound familiar??

"Attendance is what will get MAs job."

beach bum

I am very happy this feud is going on.... We all need something to read as the boards start to slow down.

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on March 23, 2016, 02:43:14 pm
I am very happy this feud is going on.... We all need something to read as the boards start to slow down.

Well, I'm tiring of it, lol. I guess the question now is, does Whitt transfer, and does it matter? I don't like seeing guys, especially freshmen, leave on their own, but does his leaving leave a big hole?

xadboy

Quote from: ricepig on March 23, 2016, 02:31:46 pm
When you can provide my with a link that says the average attendee spends $30 at a Razorback basketball game on concessions/merchandise, then I will acknowledge your $1m as a possibility. It still won't factor in at less than 1% of our athletic budget, but you will have proven at least one of your points.
If the trend continues of people not showing up, regardless of ticket sales MA will get fired. That trend will boil down to money and attendance.

I give up your impossible, just because you don't agree you have to lash out. So I'm just going to let you live in your little fantasy world. Remember just say no.

xadboy

Quote from: beach bum on March 23, 2016, 02:43:14 pm
Sorry to disappoint you bum, but I'm done with this pig.

ricepig

Quote from: xadboy on March 23, 2016, 02:52:25 pm
If the trend continues of people not showing up, regardless of ticket sales MA will get fired. That trend will boil down to money and attendance.

I give up your impossible, just because you don't agree you have to lash out. So I'm just going to let you live in your little fantasy world. Remember just say no.

It will be donations and season ticket sales, not merchandise/concessions and attendance. I'm sorry you can't accept that, you started the name calling, not me. I only pointed out the irony of complaining about attendance while not there, "ATTENDANCE was no where near that. You could see all the empty seats on TV. Bet that if you go back and look it up, you'll see I'm right."  Sorry if the shoe fits.

xadboy

Quote from: ricepig on March 23, 2016, 03:05:31 pm
It will be donations and season ticket sales, not merchandise/concessions and attendance. I'm sorry you can't accept that, you started the name calling, not me. I only pointed out the irony of complaining about attendance while not there, "ATTENDANCE was no where near that. You could see all the empty seats on TV. Bet that if you go back and look it up, you'll see I'm right."  Sorry if the shoe fits.
You started the name calling and personal attacks. Just so you know I've reported you. So deal with them, I'm not going to lower myself to your level anymore. Have a nice day

ricepig

This was you starting the name calling, unless you consider "ironic" to being called a name, if so, I'm sorry that offended you.

Quote from: xadboy on March 21, 2016, 06:10:32 pm
No where did I say anything about any individual, just an observation about what I have seen. It's people like you is what's wrong with this country. You want to twist everything around. How many games have you been to??? But if you want to go down that road we can. Don't ever ever talk like that to me. It's obvious that you are a complete FN retard so stop licking the windows and make sure your helmet is strapped on tight.

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on March 23, 2016, 01:43:41 pm
Wow... this reminds me of the old arguments on the political board. ah the memories.

Sigh....

Haha

Moonshiner

Quote from: AirWarren on March 23, 2016, 08:57:42 pm
Sigh....

Haha

Yeah why'd the dump the politics board?  I know it's been gone a while.

beach bum

March 23, 2016, 09:58:20 pm #583 Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:00:30 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Moonshiner on March 23, 2016, 09:23:34 pm
Yeah why'd the dump the politics board?  I know it's been gone a while.

There were apparently way too many disagreements & banter back and forth. Most of my favorite people on here are the ones I had the most political debate with cause I know deep down they're smart and intelligent people that just want what is best for this place we live. Some people were taking it too personal. I thought it was fun and I enjoyed it. I miss the ole "ZD vs. Venny and Valley" glory days.

AirWarren

You had your Arkansas times crowd vs The Drudge Report crowd.

There were some doozy debates on that board.

Longfellow

The debates were a lot of fun. It was the constant hate and name calling that was too much

pioneers

Here's the thing that bothers me the most is that little rock has been as far as the Razorbacks in the ncaa tournament in the last 20 or so years and that's sad. Next year MA has came up with a quick fix in juco transfers but what's going to happen 2 years from now will we be in the same boat? MA has to stop losing in state talent to other states especially other sec schools.

AirWarren

Juco's aren't going to get it done.

DerekOxford

Quote from: pioneers on March 24, 2016, 08:31:01 am
Here's the thing that bothers me the most is that little rock has been as far as the Razorbacks in the ncaa tournament in the last 20 or so years and that's sad. Next year MA has came up with a quick fix in juco transfers but what's going to happen 2 years from now will we be in the same boat? MA has to stop losing in state talent to other states especially other sec schools.

He has Daniel Gafford and Darious Hall committed in-state for 2017, and he's on other kids in state in both that class and the 2018 class. Things are looking up in recruiting.

Romeo

Quote from: AirWarren on March 24, 2016, 08:46:52 am
Juco's aren't going to get it done.

JUCOs are high risk, high reward these days. As I mentioned before, there's no more Larry Johnson's or Steve Francis type players that go the JUCO route. Along with that, JUCO players have to learn a new system and gel with the current players. Personally, I'd rather get a freshman recruit that can be in your system for two years and develop than a top JUCO player. Moses Kingsley is a good example. Filling your recruiting class with JUCO players is pretty much an alternate when you didn't pick up the initial high school recruits you wanted. That doesn't mean the incoming JUCO players won't have any success. The recruits coming in do have some upside. But I rather have a class with Monk, Jaylen Fisher, Terrance Ferguson, De'Ron Davis, and Tyler Cook. The players we recruited hard for but didn't get.

ricepig

Quote from: Romeo on March 24, 2016, 10:56:07 am
JUCOs are high risk, high reward these days. As I mentioned before, there's no more Larry Johnson's or Steve Francis type players that go the JUCO route. Along with that, JUCO players have to learn a new system and gel with the current players. Personally, I'd rather get a freshman recruit that can be in your system for two years and develop than a top JUCO player. Moses Kingsley is a good example. Filling your recruiting class with JUCO players is pretty much an alternate when you didn't pick up the initial high school recruits you wanted. That doesn't mean the incoming JUCO players won't have any success. The recruits coming in do have some upside. But I rather have a class with Monk, Jaylen Fisher, Terrance Ferguson, De'Ron Davis, and Tyler Cook. The players we recruited hard for but didn't get.

One benefit next season will be the trip to Spain in August, they'll get to practice 10 days before it, plus the games. It should help finding out the rotation and who can/can't play.

mack

Quote from: xadboy on March 23, 2016, 03:54:44 pm
You started the name calling and personal attacks. Just so you know I've reported you. So deal with them, I'm not going to lower myself to your level anymore. Have a nice day

OMG... You reported him on this tripe....
Give me a break....

Romeo

March 30, 2016, 01:50:01 pm #592 Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 02:09:51 pm by Romeo
Now confirmed, Jimmy Whitt will transfer. I just don't get it. Barford and Macon are JUCO transfers. Hannahs is a senior next year. To me, it just seems cowardly to transfer at this point.

DerekOxford

Quote from: Romeo on March 30, 2016, 01:50:01 pm
Now confirmed, Jimmy Whitt will transfer. I just don't get it. Barford and Macon are JUCO transfers. Hannahs is a senior next year. To me, it just seems cowardly to transfer at this point.

Don't know why he's wanting to leave either. Apparently California will be the landing spot for him.

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on March 30, 2016, 01:50:01 pm

Good.

Great.

Get the......out.

Kids need to be here that want to be here. Period. And personally, he and his 6.6 a game were no better than having a trey Thompson and manny Watkins on the court. Not impressed.

With that said, someone just turned the burner up a little higher on MA's seat. He better start recruiting, retaining, and recruiting more and plan on having a stellar season next year.

mack

Quote from: AirWarren on March 30, 2016, 02:51:03 pm

Good.

Great.

Get the......out.

Kids need to be here that want to be here. Period. And personally, he and his 6.6 a game were no better than having a trey Thompson and manny Watkins on the court. Not impressed.

With that said, someone just turned the burner up a little higher on MA's seat. He better start recruiting, retaining, and recruiting more and plan on having a stellar season next year.

Yeah, if he doesn't dance next year, he's probably gone.  I hate that because I don't think we'd get anybody better, and I think the crudstorm he inherited would take anyone 5-6 years to fix.  We wouldn't be having this conversation if P and Q had stayed....

Romeo

That 2015 class was a real winner. Ted Kapita doesn't qualify and ends up signing with SMU. Whitt transfers, and now were left with Doobie Jenkins.... DOOBIE JENKINS.

beach bum

I agree with AW... bye bye. And as I stated before this is a good sign because we have depth at the guard position with what is coming in. I think he saw the writing on the wall and knew he never was going to see minutes he "thought he deserved"

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on March 30, 2016, 06:06:28 pm
That 2015 class was a real winner. Ted Kapita doesn't qualify and ends up signing with SMU. Whitt transfers, and now were left with Doobie Jenkins.... DOOBIE JENKINS.

Doobie Jenkins? Haha

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on March 30, 2016, 07:48:57 pm
Doobie Jenkins? Haha

Hey now, Mike's going to try and get Doobie a redshirt year since he only played about 5 minutes, so we've potentially have him for 4 more years!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas