• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Calley from Harmony Grove to become a principal at Bauxite

Started by Walter, February 26, 2018, 06:26:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter

Any Given Friday

AirWarren

So from the sound of the article, nothing is official yet?

IAFLAR7

Quote from: AirWarren on February 26, 2018, 07:44:13 pm
So from the sound of the article, nothing is official yet?
Could see him being DC but not OC. Especially when you have Patton.

Iknewthemwhen

What was Calley's position when he was working for Patton at Bryant?  OC?

MagicMike

Nacho

Quote from: MagicMike on February 26, 2018, 11:02:28 pm
I've heard Harmony Grove has some rough years ahead

Especially coming into the 7-4A this year. Would be a great job for a young HC to take over (if this is true).

R. A.™

Haskell will be a 5 A school soon at the rate they are growing

AirWarren

mossyoakmilitary

Pretty much a done deal. He has already talked to the players about leaving. Both of mine came home and said he told them today. Best of luck to him, let's find us a good young coach because the next few years are going to be rough for sure.

beaverfan007

If this is true and he becomes the dc ..where did the dc they had go?

Walter

Quote from: beaverfan007 on February 27, 2018, 06:45:02 pm
If this is true and he becomes the dc ..where did the dc they had go?

Could be an assistant coach on the 9th grade team, who knows. Not me.

beaverfan007

He's getting out while he can bauxite is on its way up and harmony grove is gonna struggle

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: beaverfan007 on February 28, 2018, 10:52:55 am
He's getting out while he can bauxite is on its way up and harmony grove is gonna struggle

Calley is a great addition to Bauxite but nothing is certain at Bauxite,  they were only 4-6 last year and if they move up to 5 A they would have another major adjustment.

southarkdaddy

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on February 28, 2018, 11:14:17 am
Calley is a great addition to Bauxite but nothing is certain at Bauxite,  they were only 4-6 last year and if they move up to 5 A they would have another major adjustment.

With that conference they are in a move up to 4A might make it a little easier

Iknewthemwhen

Haskell to 4A, uh not a good move up.  Bauxite to 5A not a good move.

Iknewthemwhen

Is Calley going to Bauxite to prep for a Patton move? 

AirWarren

Wheels

I'm very disappointed and frustrated as a longtime HG supporter.  Lost a lot of respect for Coach Calley. He has basically used Harmony Grove administration and put the players and the football program as a whole in a no win situation that will ultimately set the football program back years. I'm disappointed in his lack of leadership and emphasis on building a foundation and developing players for the future to help with the task of transitioning to 4A. Honestly....if my opinion I believe he was scared and didn't want that pressure/responsibility or the possibility of failure. He seen it was going to be tough the next two years and he quit on all the coaches and players that he preached "hard work", "commitment ", and "integrity" to. Wish he would have chose to quit 2 years ago because several young and hungry coaches were passed over in the process. Anyone is naive to think Calley won't be on the sidelines coaching with Patton next year.

Iknewthemwhen

Wow!!  That's hate speech.  #1. Coaches are transient creatures to begin with.  Many if not most seem to move every 3-5 years as they move up the ladder, look for a better situation or more money.  If you don't hire coaches because they sometimes move you wouldn't be hiring a coach period.  I don't know how you blame a person for improving himself or his situation for his career or family.  #2. His record at HG seemed to be very good during his tenure and much better than in the years before he arrived.  He improved the record and I believe the culture and the work ethic while he was there.  Those young hungry coaches that were passed up, may not have done those things.  #3.  I understand the new position includes an administrative position and that means more money and possibly another future move into a higher level of administration. 
My question to you is.  If you were offered a better position in your professional field, that gave you more reward and set up your future and your families future, would you turn it down.

I see your concern but circumstances change even for the best intended people.  Unfortunately, the move up may create a problem for HG in finding another coach of Calley's quality.

beaverfan007

Its gonna hurt harmony grove most those kids will go to bauxite now probably

JohnBarleycorn

HHG school board recently voted to move all athletics to after school. Not sure if that was a contributing factor, but it doesn't make for an ideal situation.

Hornet blue

My son played for Coach  Calley at Bryant and I don't know if there is another Coach that cares more about his players than that man! I have been trying to talk my younger son to going out there to play for him at HHG. Guess we will look at Bauxite now. For him to leave this soon I would guess things maybe weren't what he was lead to believe in the beginning.

noonerricky

Quote from: Wheels on February 28, 2018, 01:16:49 pm
I'm very disappointed and frustrated as a longtime HG supporter.  Lost a lot of respect for Coach Calley. He has basically used Harmony Grove administration and put the players and the football program as a whole in a no win situation that will ultimately set the football program back years. I'm disappointed in his lack of leadership and emphasis on building a foundation and developing players for the future to help with the task of transitioning to 4A. Honestly....if my opinion I believe he was scared and didn't want that pressure/responsibility or the possibility of failure. He seen it was going to be tough the next two years and he quit on all the coaches and players that he preached "hard work", "commitment ", and "integrity" to. Wish he would have chose to quit 2 years ago because several young and hungry coaches were passed over in the process. Anyone is naive to think Calley won't be on the sidelines coaching with Patton next year.

Yea you've got to understand there is always more than meets the eye when it comes to moves such as this one. Yes you can blame the conference they are going to be in the next couple of years cause trust me it's brutal. I guarantee you there are more things that coach has gone through over the past couple of years that nobody knows about. With or without Calley, Harmony Grove will be lucky to even win a conference game next season

Iknewthemwhen

Situations change, this one is changing big time.  It's going to be a tough change.  I talked to a few coaches just to see what their feeling was on HHG as a job opportunity with the change they foresee coming.  Not good in their opinions.  Did not consider it a good risk for an already successful coach. More a risk to take for a assistant or a coordinator in an already struggling program. 

noonerricky

I agree. Regardless of the coaching they've been blessed with Harmony grove is not an A plus football job it's just not. Who knows who they might get. Right now they need someone who is on the uprising who doesn't mind taking a team going to literally the SEC conference of high school football and basically building them from the ground up.

Iknewthemwhen

It is possible that Calley is leaving solely for the opportunity to get into administration, more pay, less long hours and weekends.  I know the rumormill says he will coach as well but I think the admin job is the biggest lure.  Just my opinion.

AirWarren

I think it's a good move.

Both of these guys are saline boys. Good names. Good PR within the county.

Look for Bauxite to find some "school choice" players from both Benton and Bryant over the next year.

incogneto

No athletic period while preparing to move to 4A?  If that is true then there is your story.  90% of coaches that have a clue would leave in that scenario. 

SR30

I agree with wheels on this one. From what I've been told Calley knew he was going to make the move to Bauxite before the first of the year. However he kept everyone in the dark at HHG. Not only did he do this but the way the players and other coaches first found out was from the Bauxite community, not even Calley himself.
The announcement of a new coach is coming and from what I know the players and admin love this coach already. Yes it's going to be a up hill climb for this school but a true coach sticks it out and faces it head on.

Wheels

Mike Guthrie has been hired as the new head coach at Harmony Grove. Spent the last 2 years as Harmony Grove's DC. Prior to that, was Bauxite DC and interim HC. A coaching disciple of "The General" Coach Campbell from Wynne. HG Offense will definitely return to a more run oriented for sure.

MagicMike

Mulerider4Life

Really curious how the assistant will make changes. I think the run game is the main factor, but will he put a bigger emphasis on the defense? What will he focus on the most with moving up to 4A?

Beaver Fever

I think a 2TE set will benefit them moving into four A.  It will eat the clock and keep the other teams O off the field.  They will not be able to match scores in that conference.

Mulerider4Life

I completely agree. I understand there will be some growing pains, but I hope we have good fundamentals. I also hope that parents and players both have good attitudes through this.

RZback

Quote from: Beaver Fever on March 14, 2018, 07:39:11 am
I think a 2TE set will benefit them moving into four A.  It will eat the clock and keep the other teams O off the field.  They will not be able to match scores in that conference.

When they get behind they will not be able to catch up! If Guthrie is a run only kid of guy, dead T?, he will have to over power the  defense.  Is HHG able to do that in 4 A?

Beaver Fever

Would you rather lose 21-0 or 50-0?  They will not be able to match scores in that conference.  Limit the other teams positions and try to capitalize of a mistake.

southarkdaddy

Quote from: Beaver Fever on March 14, 2018, 01:40:07 pm
Would you rather lose 21-0 or 50-0?  They will not be able to match scores in that conference.  Limit the other teams positions and try to capitalize of a mistake.

If the mentality is to not lose by much, then they hired the wrong guy. 

Although I know a coach doesn't think like, so it wasn't a dig at the new guy at all.  Just pointing out the loser mentality some fans have. 

Iknewthemwhen

Losing is losing.  If you do it consistantly then you will be gone before long.  Doesn't matter if you lose by 1 or 10 or 50.  IF you cannot win you will be job searching. The close loss coaches don't last much longer than the ones who lose by bigger scores.  The fans will say he couldn't find a way to win the close games.

ea cat

RZback

4real

Quote from: southarkdaddy on March 15, 2018, 10:25:36 am
If the mentality is to not lose by much, then they hired the wrong guy. 

Although I know a coach doesn't think like, so it wasn't a dig at the new guy at all.  Just pointing out the loser mentality some fans have. 
its called attainable and realistic goal setting.  Nobody actually wants to come in and lose 21-0.  But when you are starting from scratch and you come in and tell the kids they are gonna be in the playoffs with an 8-2 record, you are setting them up to fail and quit.  Anyone who's ever been involved in goal setting should understand this.  That's one reason kids today are so easily broken, they think confidence is easy to gain and hard to lose

RZback

Quote from: 4real on March 17, 2018, 12:43:05 pm
its called attainable and realistic goal setting.  Nobody actually wants to come in and lose 21-0.  But when you are starting from scratch and you come in and tell the kids they are gonna be in the playoffs with an 8-2 record, you are setting them up to fail and quit.  Anyone who's ever been involved in goal setting should understand this.  That's one reason kids today are so easily broken, they think confidence is easy to gain and hard to lose

Kids want instant gratification, not used to working to get the hard won outcomes.  It's society being PC, everybody gets a trophy for participation.  The coaches and communities that can instill the ideal that you have to work hard and long to achieve what you want have a great edge. 

Mulerider4Life

Harmony Grove parent's are about as bad as Benton parent's when it comes to instant gratification.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas