• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 Outlook

Started by DerekOxford, December 01, 2015, 01:14:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cuckoobird

Okc is diverse, that's why I didn't add that in my response. The nba team has no affect imo

We were better when the whole state was recruited

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 28, 2016, 12:26:35 pm
Okc is diverse, that's why I didn't add that in my response. The nba team has no affect imo

We were better when the whole state was recruited

I would say it definitely helps, and it's been there since 2008, that's forever to an 18yr old.

We recruit the entire state, and we played in a different conference, lol.

cuckoobird

But we won the only national title then too. We can't compete now in the sec much less nationally

AirWarren

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 28, 2016, 02:26:44 pm
But we won the only national title then too. We can't compete now in the sec much less nationally

I don't count that "national championship". Neither does most youth.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on October 28, 2016, 02:36:10 pm
I don't count that "national championship". Neither does most youth.

Well, who cares what you think, lol, and honestly, it's been so long ago, it doesn't factor into recruiting.

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 28, 2016, 02:26:44 pm

Hmm.....what's changed on the landscape since then, surely you aren't that dense.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on October 28, 2016, 02:39:31 pm
Well, who cares what you think, lol, and honestly, it's been so long ago, it doesn't factor into recruiting.

Oh....you care. Haha

Even then, that "championship" didn't factor into recruiting. Maybe the conference title. But that that phony title in 64.

cuckoobird

I'm not saying it matters to kids now, I'm saying we won it with a lot of home state boys. Just like we won a lot of games under holtz with home state boys. Surely you remember the orange bowl victory with starters out and thumping OU/OKC?

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 28, 2016, 02:41:49 pm
I'm not saying it matters to kids now, I'm saying we won it with a lot of home state boys. Just like we won a lot of games under holtz with home state boys. Surely you remember the orange bowl victory with starters out and thumping OU/OKC?

Where was Scanlon from, where was Calcagni from, where was Cowins from? We're good when Arkansas has good high school players, they haven't since John Walker ruined LRSD football.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on October 28, 2016, 02:40:34 pm
Oh....you care. Haha

Even then, that "championship" didn't factor into recruiting. Maybe the conference title. But that that phony title in 64.

The NCAA recognizes it, all that matters.

http://www.ncaa.com/history/football/fbs

cuckoobird

The athletes are still there regardless if the LRSD has good teams. Camden was a hot bed of talent too

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 28, 2016, 03:34:08 pm
The athletes are still there regardless if the LRSD has good teams. Camden was a hot bed of talent too

Well, they aren't playing football.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on October 28, 2016, 03:13:42 pm
Where was Scanlon from, where was Calcagni from, where was Cowins from? We're good when Arkansas has good high school players, they haven't since John Walker ruined LRSD football.

They have one right night that plays for McCllellen, running back. If given the chance, he could be something else.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on October 28, 2016, 03:37:20 pm
They have one right night that plays for McCllellen, running back. If given the chance, he could be something else.

He doesn't have a D-I offer.

cuckoobird

Right, and the UofA should wait until he does...

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 28, 2016, 05:08:31 pm
Right, and the UofA should wait until he does...

We already have our RB's for this class.

cuckoobird

Ok rp I'm going to ask you directly because honestly you sound like a politician right now. Can you give a yes or no answer on whether the UofA recruits the entire state like they did when we were a pretty successful and respected nationally program during the broyls and holtz years?

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 28, 2016, 05:18:15 pm
Ok rp I'm going to ask you directly because honestly you sound like a politician right now. Can you give a yes or no answer on whether the UofA recruits the entire state like they did when we were a pretty successful and respected nationally program during the broyls and holtz years?

Yes, they recruit the entire state. We have recruits from every region of the state. I guess up here in NEA we are slighted a little, unless you consider Hardy in NEA. Tell me where we are missing recruits? The SEC and SWC aren't comparable today, that's pretty simple to see.

Our highest rated recruit under Broyles was Joe Ferguson, everybody wanted him.

cuckoobird

They didn't really recruit dixon and he was pretty successful in college. My opinion is they wait, like with the kid aw mentioned, until they get additional d1 offers and by then it's too late. I think they are letting the recruiting services, which I'm personally not a fan of because most of them give their stars based on a highlight film without ever having seen a kid play in person, instead of them aggressively recruiting like in the old days.

Plus, there were quite a few national titles won by the swc but there is no way to compare it's heyday with the sec now. The expansion of the sec in the early 90's is actually what made it what it is today. From 1950 to 1990 the big eight ruled the roost

ricepig

They've seen Strong several times, and I believe he camped at Fayetteville, they've evaluated him. Coaching staffs don't use recruiting services, or at least the ones that sell their wares on the internet, lol.

Perino chose a RB in Oklahoma over Dixon, so that happens at times. I guess we should have a roster of 85 kids from Arkansas in your world, boy, can I see you complaining about the results.

cuckoobird

Can it be worse than 56-3? Lol

Longfellow

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 28, 2016, 06:27:43 pm
Can it be worse than 56-3? Lol

Sure, it could be a season of them, lol.

cuckoobird

Or it could be a season of victories but we'll never know

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 28, 2016, 07:17:41 pm
Or it could be a season of victories but we'll never know

47/113 on the roster are from Arkansas.

cuckoobird

How many of those 47 are scholarships?

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 28, 2016, 08:21:05 pm
How many of those 47 are scholarships?

I don't know who has a scholarship, and who doesn't.

cuckoobird

Well you spent the time looking up the ratio, I'm sure it had an * or something for scholarship players. Take your socks and shoes off and count them

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on October 28, 2016, 08:51:35 pm
Well you spent the time looking up the ratio, I'm sure it had an * or something for scholarship players. Take your socks and shoes off and count them

You're a smart guy, figure it out yourself.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/roster/

beach bum

Quote from: ricepig on October 28, 2016, 08:15:53 pm
47/113 on the roster are from Arkansas.

There is another example of why the NFL is so much better than college. Who really needs 113 players on a roster??? That 53 man roster every Sunday actually means something.....

cuckoobird

The nfl sucks. Everyone plays for themselves, it's rarely a team sport anymore. Except for the Patriots, Coab B keeps egos in check

Lumberjackfan1978

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on October 28, 2016, 11:50:33 pm
There is another example of why the NFL is so much better than college. Who really needs 113 players on a roster??? That 53 man roster every Sunday actually means something.....

Well, you can't cut these guys during the week, so there's that.

Valleysports

Quote from: ricepig on October 28, 2016, 03:16:33 pm
The NCAA recognizes it, all that matters.

http://www.ncaa.com/history/football/fbs

What in the world?  Arkansas was National Champions 64' (co)......    I learned something today...

Valleysports

Anybody watched Florida & LSU's offense closely?  If you get a chance, pay attention to their offense, see how Arkansas Defensive Line might stack up.  I think you might have something to look forward too.   ;)

AirWarren

cuckoobird

bleudog

LRRandy

Quote from: bleudog on October 31, 2016, 06:04:02 pm
http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=316&s=286577
getting slightly more than a 50% chance to beat miss. St. surprised me. Miss. St. is not a good football team.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: LRRandy on October 31, 2016, 06:48:04 pm
getting slightly more than a 50% chance to beat miss. St. surprised me. Miss. St. is not a good football team.
Neither is Arkansas...

Valleysports

beach bum

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on October 31, 2016, 07:09:05 pm
Neither is Arkansas...

The honest truth is college football is a yearly cycle of about 2 or 3 really good teams, then 4 or 5 more pretty good teams followed by a bunch of not very good teams. That is what happens when schools have 113 players on a roster times 130 teams. The answer to the equation ends up being a watered down product.

Proud Buckaroo

bdubyab60

And all of that ends up in the boring NFL. Who's viewership continues to decline as they continue to parade out crappy team after crappy team and whinny diva players who make way more than they are worth. I have exactly 0 NFL games this year. Because it sucks. I buy squares on the SB cause it gives me chance to win money. Heck most people watch it for fantasy football than they do for the game itself.

Truthfully the best thing to watch is a good high school football game. But the NFL and the NBA are a shadow of what they used to be.

beach bum

October 31, 2016, 11:30:33 pm #745 Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 11:43:39 pm by beach bum
Quote from: bdubyab60 on October 31, 2016, 10:46:18 pm
And all of that ends up in the boring NFL. Who's viewership continues to decline as they continue to parade out crappy team after crappy team and whinny diva players who make way more than they are worth. I have exactly 0 NFL games this year. Because it sucks. I buy squares on the SB cause it gives me chance to win money. Heck most people watch it for fantasy football than they do for the game itself.

Truthfully the best thing to watch is a good high school football game. But the NFL and the NBA are a shadow of what they used to be.

It sucks so bad that Alabama would go 0-16 in.... And pro sports suck so bad that less than 2% of college athletes will become professionals. So by your logic if the NFL sucks then college must be the worst thing on the planet. Its the truth. College football is filled with about 115 not very good teams.

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on October 31, 2016, 11:30:33 pm
It sucks so bad that Alabama would go 0-16 in.... And pro sports suck so bad that less than 2% of college athletes will become professionals. So by your logic if the NFL sucks then college must be the worst thing on the planet. Its the truth. College football is filled with about 115 not very good teams.

And IMG, or whomever is suppose to be the best high school team would go 0-12 in FBS football, therefore high school football sucks.......apples and oranges......

Valleysports

I really have lost interest in the NFL.  Look forward to college ball, in the SEC.  I might watch a Texas High School game, if they're playing a Big 10 or 12 team. 

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on October 31, 2016, 11:30:33 pm
Put it this way. The NFL just had one of its best weekends, with supposedly close and exciting games. Still got smoked by the WS and that hasn't happened in a long time. People like to watch their sucky team on Saturdays, not so much on sundays anymore. A lot of folks like me are tired of watching overpaid divas parade up to the mic and complain about refs, complain about getting hit, throw games to get a better draft picks. That's why it really sucks. We don't have to hear that crap except from the coaches.

cuckoobird

I don't think Alabama would go 0-16.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas