• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Early 4a-1 2016

Started by Leroy88, April 11, 2016, 10:57:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Leroy88

What are your predictions for the 2016 seasons as far as rankings go? Also, what kind of players are these teams losing/retaining going into next season?

Tigerdad2

PG
PR
Shiloh
Gravette
Lincoln
Huntsville
Gentry
Berryville

prHOG13

Prairie Grove lost a ton. They'll be good and without a doubt a playoff team, just not sure if they are still at the very top. Pea Ridge returns all of their skill guys, but will have a new head coach and just named former Shiloh OC Crosby Tuck their new OC yesterday, so it'll be interesting to see if he tries to incorporate his spread offense or sticks with what Pea Ridge has been running.

I think those two are the clear 1A and 1B though with Shiloh #3.

Tigerdad2

Quote from: prHOG13 on April 12, 2016, 10:33:49 am
Prairie Grove lost a ton. They'll be good and without a doubt a playoff team, just not sure if they are still at the very top. Pea Ridge returns all of their skill guys, but will have a new head coach and just named former Shiloh OC Crosby Tuck their new OC yesterday, so it'll be interesting to see if he tries to incorporate his spread offense or sticks with what Pea Ridge has been running.

I think those two are the clear 1A and 1B though with Shiloh #3.
PG lost a lot but they have a very good SR. and JR class, I would have picked PR 1 over PG if Travis was still at Pea Ridge. Hiring a pass happy coordinator along with a HC who is not familiar with PG's Wing-T, makes Prairie Grove the favorite to win the conference

prHOG13

Well I wouldn't expect any different from you

beach bum

I agree Prairie Grove retains the crown.... ole wise Danny Abshier outwits the first year coaches this time. Pea Ridge will have their day in the sun but it won't be in the fall of 2016. PG will hoist the crown if Pea Ridge tries to fling it all around the field. If Pea Ridge keeps it on the ground like their bread and butter success I'll take the Hawks.

Pack_Mentality

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on April 14, 2016, 10:16:44 pm
PG lost a lot but they have a very good SR. and JR class, I would have picked PR 1 over PG if Travis was still at Pea Ridge. Hiring a pass happy coordinator along with a HC who is not familiar with PG's Wing-T, makes Prairie Grove the favorite to win the conference

We forgot that PG invented the Wing-T. People can say what they want about the Wing-T and its relationship to PG's success, but PG wins because their coaches and administration have built a great program. They could run almost any scheme on either side of the ball and be successful. Think your pretty close with your predictions though hard to pick against PG or PR. Should be a great matchup. Would love to see the bottom 4 get a whole lot better.

beach bum

But all in all I feel this will be a top 2 or 3 conference in the fall most certainly. The usual players of PG, Pea Ridge, and Shiloh will be there. Gravette is a model of consistency of winning more than they lose. Plus, Lincoln will be way better. The 1-4A will have five very good teams. The 7-4A will be the only one with more depth. The 8-4A may challenge that too.

SUGARTOWN

April 15, 2016, 12:50:50 pm #8 Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 01:02:44 pm by SUGARTOWN
Quote from: beach bum on April 15, 2016, 12:17:43 pm
But all in all I feel this will be a top 2 or 3 conference in the fall most certainly. The usual players of PG, Pea Ridge, and Shiloh will be there. Gravette is a model of consistency of winning more than they lose. Plus, Lincoln will be way better. The 1-4A will have five very good teams. The 7-4A will be the only one with more depth. The 8-4A may challenge that too.

Not so sure. After Warren I think there's a huge drop off in the 8-4A. Star City won't be as good, Dollarway doesn't seem to be as good as they used to be. It's wide open for the #2 seed in that conference.

PG, P. Ridge and Shiloh are probably just as good as the top 3 in the 8-4A. Although with a new coach we may have to wait and how that effects Pea Ridge.

beach bum

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on April 15, 2016, 12:50:50 pm
Not so sure. After Warren I think there's a huge drop off in the 8-4A. Star City won't be as good, Dollarway doesn't seem to be as good as they used to be. It's wide open for the #2 seed in that conference.

PG, P. Ridge and Shiloh are probably just as good as the top 3 in the 8-4A. Although with a new coach we may have to wait and how that effects Pea Ridge.

Good we will have to crown us #2 and order the rings  ;D

prHOG13

I don't think the offense is going to change a whole lot under Tuck. There may be some spread looks here and there that we didn't see under Travis, but for the most part we're still going to run Pea Ridge's offense. I'm excited to see a little variety/change in the offense, and think that will help come playoff time. Pea Ridge isn't going to throw the ball 50 times a game though, not with Winn and Holley in the backfield.

DogInTheHat

I believe Pea Ridge will be the obvious favorites this coming season but after that it's a shoot out. Look for a young Lincoln team to surprise some people. Gentry could shock some people this year too...

beach bum

I did a little looking around just for giggles last week at enrollment in each 1-4A school by each grade.... poor Berryville has a huge 9th grade class and some bigger ones even lower. It appears they are headed for the 5A West after these two years ahead in the 1-4A! Its a forgone conclusion.

GuvHog

Quote from: beach bum on April 25, 2016, 04:01:47 pm
I did a little looking around just for giggles last week at enrollment in each 1-4A school by each grade.... poor Berryville has a huge 9th grade class and some bigger ones even lower. It appears they are headed for the 5A West after these two years ahead in the 1-4A! Its a forgone conclusion.

They'll probably be an open spot since is sounds like Pulaski Academy is headed to 6A.

HSFBF

April 26, 2016, 07:11:56 pm #14 Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:14:48 pm by HSFBF
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on April 15, 2016, 12:50:50 pm

The Ned Moseley Stadium ad showing Stuttgart state championships left off the 1960 team. The Ricebirds played in IIA back then, before we had 7A and 6A and 5A classifications. We were 10-1, beating Pine Bluff 18-6 on Thanksgiving. Tried to play overall state rankings leader LR Central but they refused a post season game with us. And, we beat Ken Hatfield/Bill Gray's Helena powerhouse that year 6-0. We pushed ahead of Benton who beat us 7-6 in the season's 2nd game but lost near season's end. Worked ourselves up to #1 in 2A and #3 in the ENTIRE state that year, which included all the LR area "big dogs".. So appears Stuttgart's 1960 team was the 2A champion by the Gazette ratings which was Gospel back then. And the #3 overall in the entire classification system seems like more proof of our 'championship'. We were obvious district champs too..  Just saw that Moseley stadium entrance photo and the championships listed. 1960 should be there if one is there for the 1940s or early 50s. There were NO state playoffs back then, just the AR Gazette ranking by many sports writers with coaches input. Helena ended up #2 in 2A and think #7 in entire state.
Proud Ricebird ..

SUGARTOWN

I hear ya. My dad was in high school then, I remember him talking about watching the Birds beat Hatfield's Helena team. I don't know why they have the years they have up there, but I'm sure there's a reason.

State titles from the days without playoffs are often discussed on here and I'll just say congrats to all teams from those days who had a great season and were recognized as state champs in some form or fashion. As far as us on the Ricebird radio broadcasts we talk about 7 state titles as recognized by the AAA. That's not to take anything away from any other team, but they are the best gauge we have statewide to determine records and such.

bigchief72455

Quote from: GuvHog on April 26, 2016, 04:22:08 pm
They'll probably be an open spot since is sounds like Pulaski Academy is headed to 6A.
They should. They have pretty much steam rolled most of the 5A teams they have played.

HSFBF

April 27, 2016, 01:28:35 pm #17 Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:30:56 pm by HSFBF
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on April 27, 2016, 07:44:53 am
I hear ya. My dad was in high school then, I remember him talking about watching the Birds beat Hatfield's Helena team. I don't know why they have the years they have up there, but I'm sure there's a reason.

State titles from the days without playoffs are often discussed on here and I'll just say congrats to all teams from those days who had a great season and were recognized as state champs in some form or fashion. As far as us on the Ricebird radio broadcasts we talk about 7 state titles as recognized by the AAA. That's not to take anything away from any other team, but they are the best gauge we have statewide to determine records and such.
Thank you for your information.  Well, seems like if the AAA recognized a ricebird team in 1949 and 1951 or so, they had to use "some" criteria, and I am sure the 1960 season would have met ALL the requirements. If we were rated #1 in the state in our division 2A by the Gazette (there were NO other polls then, and I kept the articles weekly -LOL ) and were rated #3 in the entire state behind Central and Pine Bluff, then stands to reason that Stuttgart would qualify to have been champion of the conferences below that, especially our IIA classification.

Don't know who researched all the Stuttgart teams dating back to the 1949 era and put those years on the Ned Moseley gateway but they overlooked the 1960 team. I am sure the players on that team would be a bit upset if they were on Fearless Friday, but doubt they are. Ask Jerry Hoskins, Donnie Ray Smith, Neil Vickers, Sanford Hutson or Wayne Lee and a couple of others if someone can track them down. They all got PATCHES on their letter jackets showing District Champs and Arkansas #3 ranked team, etc on the sleeves. My brother was a Junior on that team and got one of the jackets. Maybe some football enthusiast could do some research and pass that along to the Stuttgart administration. Then they could seek information from the committee who  did the initial research and see what criteria they used.. The team of 1960 deserves their recognition before the last of them slowly pass away as many already have, like Dale Dickson, Paul Schwartz, Sammy Barnett, Chuck Hula, Eddie Whitman and Larry Loveless.. Thanks for reading about "my era" of Stuttgart Football. Oh, I think that team shut out 5 opponents that season and scored over 250 points on offense with mainly a running game.
Thanks to FF for allowing banter like this, especially when it is good historically .....  :D

SUGARTOWN

Eddie Wittman was a relative of mine (my dad's cousin), I heard he was a heckuva player. Next time I speak to my broadcast partner I'll ask him if he knows why they chose those years to put on the entrance. He's a little more well versed on those years of Ricebird history than I am.

HSFBF

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on April 27, 2016, 03:36:19 pm
Eddie Wittman was a relative of mine (my dad's cousin), I heard he was a heckuva player. Next time I speak to my broadcast partner I'll ask him if he knows why they chose those years to put on the entrance. He's a little more well versed on those years of Ricebird history than I am.
Thank you SO very much! I was close to the team, as you can tell. Eddie died unexpectedly in college, a tragic loss which your cousin can tell you about. About half the team has passed away. That was a cool 55 years ago as marked by the 2015 team's Fall season. If the administration wants to talk to ME, send a PM here on FF and you can set me up with an appointment with them and would be glad to meet YOU also on any trip I make there. I lived in Stuttgart for 15 years and used to do a little work at KWAK and also later did judge a couple of beauty pageants in the area. Again, thanks. And I will gladly present MY case about the omission of that 1960 football season. Again, the only teams ahead of Stuttgart at the end of that year were LR Central and Pine Bluff AND Stuttgart beat PB on Thanksgiving 18-6. How could any "other" team have been rated above us? I will even bring the football jacket I spoke of for provenance.. LOL
Stuttgart Ricebird fan 1960...  :)

PGtigers21

Do not get me wrong, I love my PG tigers. But it is hard to say that after loosing some talent after this year, it is hard not to go with Pea Ridge as being the favorite this up coming year. I watched an interview and looked up some on PR new coach, he has a lot of great back round workings in his favor. I do not think the new OC will be slinging the ball all over, I think he will be smart about it. A lot of good talent returning, #2 will be a senior at RB, #6 will be a junior also at Rb, very fast player. #23 WR will be a junior, very quick and great hands. And also #14 the QB that I thought was better than the other one will be a junior and he is also a big play maker. I would not count this Pea Ridge team out because of a new coach.

prHOG13

Got to agree PGTigers21. Good post.

I don't think anyone is doubting PG will be in the top 2-3 of the conference. PR just returns so much firepower that made a deep playoff run as well, and have multiple weapons at skill positions and will continue to add depth with an incoming sophomore class that won their conference. Coach Neal is stepping into an ideal situation. I think the offense will mostly remain the same, with some new spread looks added to it.

HSFBF

Sugartown
  Sent you a FF PM a few days ago with a personal email address. Thanks for any assistance.
HSFBF

pridgehog

Pea Ridge wins this League and likely will not be challenged until Playoffs...

beach bum

Quote from: pridgehog on June 02, 2016, 08:26:03 am

You will be challenged when you play Prairie Grove..... and lose.

whippersnapper

Lincoln is going to the OBU Camp next week. They should get a good look at teams with some speed.

Tigerdad2

Quote from: pridgehog on June 02, 2016, 08:26:03 am
If Tony Travis was your current coach , I might agree.
PG wins another conference championship

prHOG13

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on June 03, 2016, 09:49:55 pm
If Tony Travis was your current coach , I might agree.
PG wins another conference championship
I don't think anyone can intelligently state something like this from either fanbase. All I can say from what I have seen during spring practices and from meeting with Coach Neal, is he is very disciplined and his practices appear more focused and more uptempo.

Our town and program will always appreciate what Coach Travis did in turning the program into a contender, but Coach Neal has coached big time football for a while now, and knows what it takes to win a ring.

beach bum

Prairie Grove sits on the clock with its run game come October and wins 28-21 over the Blackhawks.....

Lumberjackfan1978

It's Prairie Grove crown until someone takes it from them

Tigerdad2

Quote from: prHOG13 on June 05, 2016, 12:57:36 pm
I don't think anyone can intelligently state something like this from either fanbase. All I can say from what I have seen during spring practices and from meeting with Coach Neal, is he is very disciplined and his practices appear more focused and more uptempo.

Our town and program will always appreciate what Coach Travis did in turning the program into a contender, but Coach Neal has coached big time football for a while now, and knows what it takes to win a ring.
Intelligently state your reasoning why Pea Ridge will beat PG

prHOG13

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on June 06, 2016, 01:07:51 pm
Intelligently state your reasoning why Pea Ridge will beat PG
Read my first sentence again.

If you want someone to state the case as to how/why, read this from one of the non mouth breathers in your fanbase:
Quote from: PGtigers21 on May 01, 2016, 06:09:35 pm
Do not get me wrong, I love my PG tigers. But it is hard to say that after loosing some talent after this year, it is hard not to go with Pea Ridge as being the favorite this up coming year. I watched an interview and looked up some on PR new coach, he has a lot of great back round workings in his favor. I do not think the new OC will be slinging the ball all over, I think he will be smart about it. A lot of good talent returning, #2 will be a senior at RB, #6 will be a junior also at Rb, very fast player. #23 WR will be a junior, very quick and great hands. And also #14 the QB that I thought was better than the other one will be a junior and he is also a big play maker. I would not count this Pea Ridge team out because of a new coach.

mtindian42

Has berryville ever been good? Geeze!

Seems like ever year there down...

beach bum

Quote from: mtindian42 on June 06, 2016, 05:55:29 pm
Has berryville ever been good? Geeze!

Seems like ever year there down...

Berryville and Huntsville are one of the hardest places to win at in the 4A.... and what makes it worse is looking at numbers they both may be headed to the 5A West in 2018 after this coming 2 year cycle. This will be especially a huge blow to Berryville. They have no community support to win on a consistent basis ever. I don't like to ever say that about places, but Berryville is one of those doomed places for football.

Lumberjackfan1978

I hate to hear that for Berryville and Huntsville it's bad for a team to be down all the time with no community support

mtindian42

I'm sure you know more then I do about it. I did see where Huntsville has all there games live and replayed on Madison county cable.

WPWells

Quote from: beach bum on June 06, 2016, 09:15:35 pm
Berryville and Huntsville are one of the hardest places to win at in the 4A.... and what makes it worse is looking at numbers they both may be headed to the 5A West in 2018 after this coming 2 year cycle. This will be especially a huge blow to Berryville. They have no community support to win on a consistent basis ever. I don't like to ever say that about places, but Berryville is one of those doomed places for football.

They had an amazing marching band though

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas