• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pea Ridge coach Tony Travis to Rogers Heritage

Started by prHOG13, February 03, 2016, 02:51:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

prHOG13

Happy for him. Appreciate what he built at Pea Ridge and didn't think he'd leave right now but he apparently got a great offer. The program is set up in both football and basketball for the next several years. Will be interesting to see who PR hires now.

beach bum

February 03, 2016, 02:58:56 pm #1 Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 03:01:34 pm by beach bum
Multiple people on here said no way he would leave when I had a hunch this would happen but I knew money would talk as well as an opportunity at the highest level and challenge for what this state offers at the high school level. I am sure he will do as good as anyone can possibly do at Heritage as well as Pea Ridge being one of the most attractive 4A schools because of the growth near Bentonville as well as the trajectory that school is on. Both sides will do well and I wish Travis and Pea Ridge success for the future. He seems like a class guy in every way.

Wpsformerqb

Good for him and for RH. And another domino falls.

prHOG13

February 03, 2016, 10:34:05 pm #3 Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:42:20 pm by prHOG13
Quote from: beach bum on February 03, 2016, 02:58:56 pm
Multiple people on here said no way he would leave when I had a hunch this would happen but I knew money would talk as well as an opportunity at the highest level and challenge for what this state offers at the high school level. I am sure he will do as good as anyone can possibly do at Heritage as well as Pea Ridge being one of the most attractive 4A schools because of the growth near Bentonville as well as the trajectory that school is on. Both sides will do well and I wish Travis and Pea Ridge success for the future. He seems like a class guy in every way.
I didn't think he'd leave yet, I'll admit that. Being both AD and coach, its pretty exhausting having to attend all those games in Pea Ridge living a good distance away. Regardless, I'm genuinely happy for him and thankful for all he's done for our programs and community. PR went from the worst facilities in the 4A to one of the best during his tenure.

It will be interesting to see who PR targets as AD and/or coach this next season. There's some very good young talent awaiting the next coach.

nuttinbuthogs

Unless there were some serious salary changes at Rogers above what was in the paper I'm not sure he got a "money talking" deal. 

Tigerdad2

I'm really happy for him, he's a great coach and person. It would be hard to turn down 90k and no AD duties. Pea Ridge is loaded and the next coach wil walk in and win 10 games

Ole Legend

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on February 03, 2016, 10:52:57 pm
Unless there were some serious salary changes at Rogers above what was in the paper I'm not sure he got a "money talking" deal.

They raised the pay tremendously. I know a few Rogers school employees, and they were told that there was a special board meeting about 2-3 weeks ago about raising the pay for the new football coaches. I was told that the pay is now comparable to the rest of the 7a west jobs.

Interestingcall

Will PR  hire from within or go outside for the nee coach?

Tigerdad2

Go outside, they'll get a lot of good coaches to apply

Wpsformerqb

Ole Legend

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on February 05, 2016, 04:49:08 pm
Go outside, they'll get a lot of good coaches to apply

I think they will hire from within.

Tigerdad2

Can't go wrong either way, next years coach will win 10 games

dumptruck

Any more info. on this job?? Who's interviewing???

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on February 17, 2016, 07:07:31 am
Can't go wrong either way, next years coach will win 10 games
your kid must be a sr. next year.

whippersnapper

There are some former 4a head coaches at Fayetteville that I could see getting the job if they were to put in for it. Then I am sure other assistants in the area as well.

Ole Legend

I was told that they interviewed 8 people this past week, and they really liked a couple of them. One of them was from Tulsa, and it sounds like he is the overall favorite right now. Should know something soon!

prHOG13

Sounds like Tulsa Union's DC is the front runner. Good looking résumé

JohnBarleycorn

What else is on his resume? Any head coaching experience? If so, what's his record?

SUGARTOWN

Per Twitter: PREP FB: Breaking news -- Pea Ridge names Stephen Neal its new head coach during Monday's school board meeting.

prHOG13

Quote from: JohnBarleycorn on February 28, 2016, 06:42:07 pm
What else is on his resume? Any head coaching experience? If so, what's his record?
His bio: Coach Neal is entering his 25th season coaching high school football and his 9th season at Union High School.  He has served as the Head Football Coach at Tulsa Edison High School, Apache Junction High School in Arizona, and Tulsa Hale High School as well as an assistant at Nathan Hale and Union.

beach bum

February 29, 2016, 09:25:22 pm #20 Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 09:29:24 pm by beach bum
Is there any possibility that he is related to the superintendent at Pea Ridge if that Neal is still there in administration? That is one competitive hard nosed family if that is the case. And also if that is the case that is a unique situation and sounds like it will be a great thing moving forward. Neal is a very common name so I may be way off base here.

prHOG13

Quote from: beach bum on February 29, 2016, 09:25:22 pm
Is there any possibility that he is related to the superintendent at Pea Ridge if that Neal is still there in administration? That is one competitive hard nosed family if that is the case. And also if that is the case that is a unique situation and sounds like it will be a great thing moving forward. Neal is a very common name so I may be way off base here.
Don't think so. The Jr High head Bball coach and HS assistant at Pea Ridge also has the last name Neal

Tigerdad2

February 29, 2016, 09:40:58 pm #22 Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 05:19:27 am by Tigerdad2
Quote from: prHOG13 on February 29, 2016, 09:39:55 pm
Don't think so. The Jr High head Bball coach and HS assistant at Pea Ridge also has the last name Neal

Ole Legend

Quote from: prHOG13 on February 29, 2016, 09:39:55 pm

The basketball coach is the superintendents son. The new football coach is no relation.

beach bum

March 01, 2016, 08:20:48 pm #24 Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 03:29:21 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Ole Legend on March 01, 2016, 05:40:36 pm
The basketball coach is the superintendents son. The new football coach is no relation.

Ah, I appreciate you clarifying. That would have been a unique situation. Either way Pea Ridge got a good one. Them and Prairie Grove IMO are putting together the best coaching staffs across the board for guys and girls athletics as a collective unit in the conference. Kudos to Pea Ridge for the direction their school is headed for the future. The 1-4A is very lucky to have the coaches and staffs they have in place at the all 8 schools for football.

beach bum

Does anyone know if Pea Ridge beefed up their non-conference schedule? If they didn't 10-0 could happen if all the right cards fall into place next fall. I know they have had a pretty easy one in recent history.

prHOG13

Quote from: beach bum on March 02, 2016, 03:27:29 pm
Does anyone know if Pea Ridge beefed up their non-conference schedule? If they didn't 10-0 could happen if all the right cards fall into place next fall. I know they have had a pretty easy one in recent history.
Booneville is one and I want to say Travis told me Farmington is on the schedule this year

Can't remember the 3rd OOC game right now

beach bum

Thats a nice schedule if so. I enjoy seeing those high quality non conference games like that.

nuttinbuthogs

March 03, 2016, 06:43:39 pm #28 Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 01:50:35 pm by nuttinbuthogs
Neal a strong pick?  What's the rest of that staff look like?  I had heard a friend say it was good but had a couple of holes. I didn't understand what he meant. Anyone got more information on the football staff or the PR staff as a whole?

prHOG13

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on March 03, 2016, 06:43:39 pm
Neal is a strong pick.  What's the rest of that staff look like?  I had heard a friend say it was good but had a couple of holes. I didn't understand what he meant. Anyone got more information on the football staff or the PR staff as a whole?
I guess it depends whether the same staff stays in place or not

Cowboy51

Quote from: JohnBarleycorn on February 28, 2016, 06:42:07 pm
Took a look at his record at Tulsa Edison and Apache Junction as HC. Not too impressive. Couldn't find Tulsa Hale record.  Apache Junction 6 seasons 17-44. Edison 5 seasons 18-34. Last 3 seasons at Edison was 5-25.   Total Record at both schools 35-78. 31% winning record.

nuttinbuthogs

So what do you think was the convincing factor in his being selected?

Tigerdad2

The title Tulsa Union Coordinator, with that you would think he could get a 7a job

prHOG13

Hale and Edison are dead end jobs. They play second fiddle to the big time schools in that area like Union, Jenks, Broken Arrow, etc. kind of like Heritage and Rogers High here to Bentonville/Fay/etc. Travis obviously has an uphill battle to turn things around. Apache Junction, there is literally nothing there. Surprised they can even form an 11 man team.

He's been a part of a big time nationally competitive winning program for the last several years. He's walking into a very good/young roster and has the facilities and support to be much more competitive than in his last few HC gigs.

MountieForLife

Quote from: prHOG13 on March 06, 2016, 10:07:52 pm
Apache Junction, there is literally nothing there. Surprised they can even form an 11 man team.

Evidently, you've got some outdated information, but AJ is a suburb of Mesa, AZ and has a population of 35,000 and HS enrollment is around 1300 (9-12).  And the coach that followed him at AJ was in the 4A playoffs his 3rd year and in the state semifinals his 4th year, so there are some coaches who have won there.

nuttinbuthogs

I'm seeing, or hearing some inconsistencies as to why he may have been picked.  His record just is not sounding that good.  How long was he the DC at Union? 

prHOG13

He was the DC and associate head coach the last 5 years at Union.

Quote from: MountieForLife on March 07, 2016, 04:24:39 pm
Evidently, you've got some outdated information, but AJ is a suburb of Mesa, AZ and has a population of 35,000 and HS enrollment is around 1300 (9-12).  And the coach that followed him at AJ was in the 4A playoffs his 3rd year and in the state semifinals his 4th year, so there are some coaches who have won there.
gmafb

Apache Junction had a 28 game losing streak when he took over. He won more games with them in 3 years than they won in the prior 10 years prior to his arrival combined.

This was also like 15-20 years ago. Towns may get bigger, but it doesn't mean it's not a sh!thole.

MountieForLife

Quote from: prHOG13 on March 07, 2016, 10:59:58 pm

This was also like 15-20 years ago. Towns may get bigger, but it doesn't mean it's not a sh!thole.

Sounds like you're a man of experience.  Give us the source of your fountain of knowledge about Arizona...you a former resident?

beach bum

March 11, 2016, 04:04:14 pm #38 Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 04:16:17 pm by beach bum
Quote from: MountieForLife on March 11, 2016, 02:13:39 pm
Sounds like you're a man of experience.  Give us the source of your fountain of knowledge about Arizona...you a former resident?

I have never lived in Arizona but can tell you that place is not desirable whatsoever outside of Flagstaff and the rest of northern Arizona. Phoenix is a dump along with Tucson from my time out there. If you are old and have tons of money the nice burbs could be alright in Phoenix. That's about it. There is my fountain of knowledge about Arizona to add on to his. Apache Junction is on the very fringe of the Phoneix area and only grew by 4,000 people the last decade so that tells you enough about that place only growing by a few thousand near a major metropolitan area.... It obviously must not be that desirable. Most suburbs of a major city grow in the 10K's each decade at least.

prHOG13

Quote from: MountieForLife on March 11, 2016, 02:13:39 pm
Nice of you to ignore the rest of my post pointing out that you didnt know what you're talking about.

If living in a dust bowl surrounded by cactus and rattlesnakes is your cup of tea, then more power to you.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas