• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maynard's Colton Watson

Started by pootnscoot, July 28, 2013, 02:44:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MustangRampage

I've seen Colton practice and play more times than I can count.  I worked with his brother at Hoxie for the last six years and have done the scoreboard there for the same amount of time.  Colton is the best scorer that I have seen for his age.  As a 9th grader playing up he was easily our best player.  He's as good a shooter as you're going to come across.  He shoots well from both the set and off the dribble and he has a really quick release.  He's at his best when he puts the ball on the floor and gets to the line.  He does have a tendency to settle for a 3.

Colton's real weakness has always been his struggles to maintain his composure and keep his head in the game.  He plays hard and is not intimidated by anyone, but he can get blinders on and try to turn the game into a 5 on 1 matchup.

His brother is really good coach and does a great job of getting maximum effort from his players.  I think he will either mold a better, more controlled version of his brother, or he will kill him at halftime of a game.  It really may go either way.  I'm looking forward to following this conference this year and learning about some new teams.  Good luck to all of you guys this season.

pootnscoot

Been gone for a while. Cannot resist reminding the Bay fans of the prediction Maynard would beat Bay this year. After watching Concord, Bay and Maynard numerous times this year. I believe  Roark and Watson are clearly more skilled than Pritchett.

J.D.

Quote from: pootnscoot on January 12, 2014, 12:07:28 pm
Been gone for a while. Cannot resist reminding the Bay fans of the prediction Maynard would beat Bay this year. After watching Concord, Bay and Maynard numerous times this year. I believe  Roark and Watson are clearly more skilled than Pritchett.

I don't think you understand what kind of Pandora's box you just opened.  Beware of the flood. 

Oldref

Maynard has proved they are going to be in the mix for a title in 1A this year. After seeing Watson play a couple of games in the past few weeks it is without question he is really good and can take over a game with his scoring and playmaking abilities. Maynard is also really well coached and their supporting cast is also underrated from what I have seen.  Bay has also shown they can step up and play with about anyone on any given night and with all the young guys they play that is about what everyone expected.  Bay has actually kind of run thru a stretch of playing really good competition while not playing as well as they did early but most teams go thru that kind of stretch during a season. Pritchett or anyone else from Bay will never put up huge numbers under coach Brannen's system of sharing the scoring load and that system is a proven winning formula. I am not sure anyone in class A plays the schedule that Bay plays and that usually means they are playing their best by year end. Time will tell if that happens this year.  This year Concord is going to have to wear the big bull's-eye on their back and there are plenty of teams around that will be taking aim.  Good luck to all the teams........best time of the year is just around the corner.

Bayhoopfan13

Quote from: Oldref on January 12, 2014, 02:03:12 pm
Maynard has proved they are going to be in the mix for a title in 1A this year. After seeing Watson play a couple of games in the past few weeks it is without question he is really good and can take over a game with his scoring and playmaking abilities. Maynard is also really well coached and their supporting cast is also underrated from what I have seen.  Bay has also shown they can step up and play with about anyone on any given night and with all the young guys they play that is about what everyone expected.  Bay has actually kind of run thru a stretch of playing really good competition while not playing as well as they did early but most teams go thru that kind of stretch during a season. Pritchett or anyone else from Bay will never put up huge numbers under coach Brannen's system of sharing the scoring load and that system is a proven winning formula. I am not sure anyone in class A plays the schedule that Bay plays and that usually means they are playing their best by year end. Time will tell if that happens this year.  This year Concord is going to have to wear the big bull's-eye on their back and there are plenty of teams around that will

be taking aim.  Good luck to all the teams........best time of the year is just around the corner.
I couldn't haven't said it better myself

bscinar

Quote from: pootnscoot on January 12, 2014, 12:07:28 pm

Roark is a Senior
Watson is a Junior
Pritchett is still only a Sophomore albeit a returning starter from last years championship team.

BasketballNeverStops

I just read in the Gazette that Watson has hit 40 points in 12 of Maynard's 22 games. Wow.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: BasketballNeverStops on January 12, 2014, 05:29:59 pm
I just read in the Gazette that Watson has hit 40 points in 12 of Maynard's 22 games. Wow.

And was averaging 40 a game in the NEA Tournament...until EPC kind of shut him down...Think he only scored 16 against them...

J.D.

Quote from: HF on January 12, 2014, 08:47:52 pm

And was averaging 40 a game in the NEA Tournament...until EPC kind of shut him down...Think he only scored 16 against them...

Man.  I wish I was good enought to get told I was shut down when I scored 16 points lol. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: J.D. on January 12, 2014, 10:54:02 pm
Quote from: HF on January 12, 2014, 08:47:52 pm

Man.  I wish I was good enought to get told I was shut down when I scored 16 points lol. 

I wish he played a game closer to the Central Arkansas area...I'd call into work that day, or fake an emergency or something to go watch him play....

NEA Razorback olfan

watched him at the NEA Tourney , He just did what he wanted , could score at will. and made it look so easy , just took what the defense gave him ,or he would create his own shot. EPC didn't shut him down, he wasn't moving very well on a sprained ankle and forced a lot of tough shoots not having that explosive first step. When he is healthy he can get his usual 30-40 points.

arstatechamp13

Is Maynard pretty much a one man show? Or is it a team? If they have a player scoring 40 points, how much is the rest of the team scoring?

bdubyab60

They have a decent starting five. Not much of a bench, even when they were up on a couple teams they didnt sub much.

bdubyab60

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on January 12, 2014, 11:18:27 pm
watched him at the NEA Tourney , He just did what he wanted , could score at will. and made it look so easy , just took what the defense gave him ,or he would create his own shot. EPC didn't shut him down, he wasn't moving very well on a sprained ankle and forced a lot of tough shoots not having that explosive first step. When he is healthy he can get his usual 30-40 points.
Sounds like pretty much every game he played in, in the NEA. I didnt see him take many open shots. Many were contested except fo rof course when he stripped Pike about 4 times in a row and laid it in on BIC. he had an off night which will happen.

neds

Great article on him and his brother today in the AR Democrat sports section.
Nice piece for smaller class basketball in the state as they don't get enough coverage.

Head Lion

Quote from: neds on January 19, 2014, 09:07:03 am
Great article on him and his brother today in the AR Democrat sports section.
Nice piece for smaller class basketball in the state as they don't get enough coverage.
+1, he lits us up a couple of times last year. He and Jones had a shootout one night. Hoxie won the game, but believe between the 2 they had 86 pts.

Oldref

Bay travels to Maynard Monday night.......should be a good one. Watson is unbelievable good and can score from anyplace on the floor. Bay is coming off a 5 win week and is playing much better. Bay had wins over Hoxie, Armorel, Black Rock, Corning and Riverside in a 7 day span. Glad to see Watson is being recognized for his talents. Should be a good one in Maynard Monday night to decide the conference.

Batman44

First time poster. Driving 150 miles to watch Bay at Maynard tonight! Seen Watson play twice at NEA tourney. One good game, one not so good. Hope he shows up in a big way tonight!

Real deal

Reading more and posting alot less, but I had to post because I said I would.  Watson best player in Class A, this will be a dandy tonight.  Maynard is obviously a contendenr, IMO 2 of the top 3 teams in Class A playing tonight at Maynard.  Got to also mention the job Braden Watson has done at Maynard. Obviously Colton would come in and immediately make anyone better, but those other kids are playing well also, due to Coach Watson. 

pootnscoot

Watched Maynard play at Sloan Hendrix Friday night.  Maynard focused on balanced scoring and establishing an inside/outside offense. Watson scored around 25 and had 10 assist. I didn't witness a single forced outside shot by him the entire game. He still attacked in transition and finished well. Unfortunately, attacking Sloan Hendrix in transition and getting open looks against their half court defense is easily attained.  I believe against skilled athletic teams Maynard will be forced to revert back to Watson carrying the scoring load . Additionally, they are still lacking a consistent half court defense and this late in the season it won't just magically show up.

Batman44

I just received the news myself about Maynard, and their balanced scoring Fri night. Just hope they can keep it up, and work on that D.

Lionfan 18

Quote from: Real deal on August 07, 2013, 10:21:21 am
Quote from: HF on August 06, 2013, 06:01:04 pm
Quote from: Real deal on August 05, 2013, 09:12:43 pm
Quote from: BoxNOne on August 04, 2013, 08:13:25 am
Quote from: blythevilleguy link=topic=130032.msg2811871#msg2color=black][/color]811871 date=1375605476]

Bay lost to Armorel the first year they dropped to 1A. That game was at Armorel and Bat won at home. As far as Armorel upsetting Bay this. I don't think so. Too many bad atitudes and I don't mean good.
Thanks for that info BG.I had forgotten about Armorel beating Bay that first year in conference for Bay.That makes two conference losses in I think about seven years.Extremely impressive.

This is correct, 2 losses in 7 years in conference. Won or shared the conference championship every year. Won the district every year except 2011. 2 regional championships 2 state championships and another state finals appearance. The next 4 years I don't expect muchdifferent in the conference and district. Would be a little dissappointed if there isn't another ring or two to be won also. Armorel will not beat bay this year. Ill give Maynard a chance, but a slim one. However, if I'm wrong I will be the first to admit it. Outside of Maynard and armorel no one else works at all in the offseason. I'm biased but bay working on a 10 to 11 yr run of dominance in 1a. No ones program better, of course alot of that is due to the fact no one in class a save maybe concord has the type coach like the one at bay.

You mean best recruiter? :D

Rodgers at MVE is a pretty good coach...just not much to work with in Mount Vernon lately, Guess there to far away from Conway to work the "bedroom" community option...

No I meant best coach, his program recruits itself.  His personality is his weakest trait, not going to wow anyone by talking to them about coming to Bay trust me, he's not Bill Taylor on the public speaking/selling ice to eskimos level (well selling whatever he wants to BIC/Manila anyway).   On the other hand his win loss record and work ethic wows alot of people, if you want to argue that I'm sorry.  Winners draw attention, world we live in today, parents want their kids where people win.  Right now over the last 8 years in Craighead/Poinsett county area thats Bay and EPC.  No one in 1 thru 4A basketball winning more than those 2.  Rodgers is a great coach, when he starts winning, he will get runoff from Conway, but you have to win first.
I find this little post really comical, cutting down poor Bill Taylor and in the same breath saying Brannen is just clean as a whistle. Saying Bay's program recruits itself, what a CROCK!!! Spoken like a true Bay kool-aid drinker.

Real deal

I hear it's been a good couple of weeks for coach taylor. Got manila and riversides best 2 rising freshman. Like I said winning draws lots of attention. You better quit worrying about Bay and start helping build a fence up around manila or you won't have any players left!!  That's not a CROCK and you know it, but you keep your attention focused on Bay and I'll make sure we don't run out of kool-aid!!  No jabs at Bill Taylor here, saw this coming a mile away, and poor manila got worked, it's comical!! But again, keep your attention focused here at bay!!  As has always been BIC and Bay are 2 great programs again, year in and year out better than most everyone else around!  I know it's hard for people like you lion fan. I feel sorry for you!!  Happy Easter!!  Get to work on that fence!!

Bayhoopfan13

Quote from: Real deal on April 20, 2014, 09:25:10 am
I hear it's been a good couple of weeks for coach taylor. Got manila and riversides best 2 rising freshman. Like I said winning draws lots of attention. You better quit worrying about Bay and start helping build a fence up around manila or you won't have any players left!!  That's not a CROCK and you know it, but you keep your attention focused on Bay and I'll make sure we don't run out of kool-aid!!  No jabs at Bill Taylor here, saw this coming a mile away, and poor manila got worked, it's comical!! But again, keep your attention focused here at bay!!  As has always been BIC and Bay are 2 great programs again, year in and year out better than most everyone else around!  I know it's hard for people like you lion fan. I feel sorry for you!!  Happy Easter!!  Get to work on that fence!!
+1

Lionfan 18

Quote from: Real deal on April 20, 2014, 09:25:10 am
Thanks and Happy Easter to you too. You got me I sure love me some Manila Lions, especially that high powered football program!! I'm pretty sure Bill Taylor is still the coach but could be wrong, maybe Manila should offer him more money to recruit some football players. Strike one, pun intended. Try again Ricky Bobby real deal. Nobody ask you for an opinion PUNK Baseball Boy 13, I'm sure you NO where I'm coming from ;). -1

bscinar

Lion fan 18 - you are the ultimate troll and trouble maker. However, We appreciate your interest in the Bay basketball program. 

Lionfan 18

Quote from: bscinar on April 20, 2014, 08:58:54 pm
Lion fan 18 - you are the ultimate troll and trouble maker. However, We appreciate your interest in the Bay basketball program.
You're very welcome and I understand the truth hurts the Yellowjacket faithful.

bscinar

Tell us who you played for in high school? 
Must have been an ugly beat down from Bay for you to still Harbor this much hatred and aggression?

Lionfan 18

Read a few posts above, real deal has it figured out. I love me some Manila Lions!!

bscinar

Funny,
In an earlier (now deleted) thread, you denied Manilla being your team.
In fact, I don't think I have ever seen any positive comments from you for any team.
Love to hate much?  Bad childhood?  Help us understand your hatred for Bay.

Lionfan 18

Quote from: bscinar on April 20, 2014, 10:14:50 pm
Funny,
In an earlier (now deleted) thread, you denied Manilla being your team.
In fact, I don't think I have ever seen any positive comments from you for any team.
Love to hate much?  Bad childhood?  Help us understand your hatred for Bay.
Why, it's so much more fun just jerking your chain!

bscinar

You are not jerking my chain. I am just trying to understand your apparent hatred of Bay and to help you move past your problems.

Lionfan 18

Quote from: bscinar on April 20, 2014, 10:46:06 pm
You are not jerking my chain. I am just trying to understand your apparent hatred of Bay and to help you move past your problems.
Why would you do that?  I don't like bay's R word tactics, pretty cut and dry! Thanks for your concern though Dr. Phil eeerrrrr bscinar, it's very much appreciated.

bscinar

More proof of your hatred - name calling. Seems like you have an answer for everything - except the team you support. We all know who you love to hate  you are a worthless waste of time - please leave now.

bscinar

One last post, trying to be civil, and keep it simple for you Lionfan:
Please let the forum know which team is the reason you signed up to support?
Or did you simple sign up to bash successful teams?

Is your life really miserable to the point that you only get pleasure from running others down?

Moonshiner

I saw Bay play last year in the regional.  Saw some wild haircuts and it appeared to me like they were having some fun at the expense of their opponent who they were already beating about 50 hundred.
Mix that in with the new shoes for this years state tournament, the tshirts that said the season didn't start till March in Bay, and the fact that they pretty much play with an AAU roster every year.
Everybody likes a winner.  But we love the ones that do it the right way. This years Concord team is a good example. I got behind them and I had never seen them play till the State tournament. 
Come on guys.  Clean up your act and the hatred will go away and be replaced by RESPECT.

BoxNOne

bscinar

That was two years ago _ live in the past much?
Quote from: Moonshiner on April 21, 2014, 07:13:03 am
I saw Bay play last year in the regional.  Saw some wild haircuts and it appeared to me like they were having some fun at the expense of their opponent who they were already beating about 50 hundred.
Mix that in with the new shoes for this years state tournament, the tshirts that said the season didn't start till March in Bay, and the fact that they pretty much play with an AAU roster every year.
Everybody likes a winner.  But we love the ones that do it the right way. This years Concord team is a good example. I got behind them and I had never seen them play till the State tournament. 
Come on guys.  Clean up your act and the hatred will go away and be replaced by RESPECT.

Real deal

Quote from: Moonshiner on April 21, 2014, 07:13:03 am

Hair cuts, shoes and shirts?  Really, kids get new shoes together the same hair cuts together and a t-shirt and that's your reason for hate?  AAU team? Come on, you hate us because we are successful, concord is a great team and example for anyone to follow. Again, if you think they or anyone else wouldn't except new kids into their district that are players your crazy. Lion fan, you aren't pulling any chains we are pulling yours, your pretty predictable. Boxnone your not fooling anyone either, you are a bay hater started along time ago but got worse in 2011 of course. For where you are now you better take the same advice I gave lion fan and start getting a fence built up around lake city and caraway or BIC will have all your players to. The march shirts were done in 2013 we won it that year but I've never wore one, I don't like them either, but resorting to criticizing how our fans spend money on shirts?  Laughable!!  Go say our players don't deserve this, go keep talking about tactics!!  Here's a thought, get behind your program, get a coach that works as hard as ours, you will become more successful, trying to tear Bay down is not going to get it done for you. The no and know stuff, the Ricky real deal stuff, the tactics!!  It's about to kill us, I don't know if we will ever sleep again!!  lol Box said Nea had to many undeserving all state players, almost threw us off track but we survived, barely!!  Lol, keep throwing gas on the fire boys, you can't ever have enough bulletin board material. Box, you trying to knock on Bays class has provided so much entertainment for us!!  Please keep providing a classy example for us to follow!!  Go rebels go!! 

Lionfan 18

Quote from: bscinar on April 21, 2014, 12:07:37 am
More proof of your hatred - name calling. Seems like you have an answer for everything - except the team you support. We all know who you love to hate  you are a worthless waste of time - please leave now.
Clarendon, I told you that a pretty good while ago. I'll decline your offer to leave, I did however think about it really hard since you said please. ;D

Moonshiner

Hey it's just my opinion.  Mine is no more important than anyone else's.
I'm just saying that Bay fans tend to toot their own horn a bit too much and that people are gonna call you out on a few things when they don't respect the way you do it. 
You guys keep using the excuse that the players move in because of your great coach.  And he is a good coach.  But there are many good coaches in that region.
You got an all state player coming next year by hiring his brother?  I just hope your school is loyal to the coach long after his brother is gone.
Better hope you win it all next year.  If not it's gonna kill your coaches credibility.
Just sayin

Real deal

April 21, 2014, 10:02:01 am #91 Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:09:47 am by Real deal
Quote from: Moonshiner on April 21, 2014, 09:58:21 am
Hey it's just my opinion.  Mine is no more important than anyone else's.
I'm just saying that Bay fans tend to toot their own horn a bit too much and that people are gonna call you out on a few things when they don't respect the way you do it. 
You guys keep using the excuse that the players move in because of your great coach.  And he is a good coach.  But there are many good coaches in that region.
You got an all state player coming next year by hiring his brother?  I just hope your school is loyal to the coach long after his brother is gone.
Better hope you win it all next year.  If not it's gonna kill your coaches credibility.
Just sayin

I don't think his credibility is in jeopardy. You have no idea about Colton or Braden's situation. Not an opinion, fact. Just sayin. Let me be more clear, I know exactly how Braden was hired and the process leading up to it, the facts, y'all don't want to hear the facts, that would dispel your theories about bay tactics and how Colton might end up here. No one works harder and develops more players than Brad Brannen, yes talented players help.

Real deal

Oh and I hope we do win it all this year and every year!!  I'm still disappointed we fell short this year. Earning your respect is not high on our to do list. In this day in time the more hate that's spewed at you proves your probably doing more right than wrong!!  It's sad but you guys hammer that point home on here everyday. It's cheap entertainment and motivation for us. Heck, I guess I should be thanking you guys!!  Nah

Moonshiner

Quote from: Real deal on April 21, 2014, 10:16:25 am
Oh and I hope we do win it all this year and every year!!  I'm still disappointed we fell short this year. Earning your respect is not high on our to do list. In this day in time the more hate that's spewed at you proves your probably doing more right than wrong!!  It's sad but you guys hammer that point home on here everyday. It's cheap entertainment and motivation for us. Heck, I guess I should be thanking you guys!!  Nah

That's not true.  Don't see anyone hating on Concord.  Cedar Ridge won it two years in a row.  Nothing but respect and love for them.  So winning has nothing to do with it.   And thanks for admitting that being a respected winner is not important to you.

Bayhoopfan13

+1

Lionfan 18

I'll go ahead and help ya out real deal " if you ain't first you're last". Now go R word some more all state players so ICC won't end your season again! -1

pootnscoot

I'm knowledgeable  of the Watson situation in Maynard. Based on the facts,  I would of left as well and taken my brother with me. Bay didn't create this situation or exploit it  but simply reaped the benefits.

Real deal

Quote from: pootnscoot on April 21, 2014, 10:52:43 am
I'm knowledgeable  of the Watson situation in Maynard. Based on the facts,  I would of left as well and taken my brother with me. Bay didn't create this situation or exploit it  but simply reaped the benefits.

Thank you!!

Moonshiner

You say they didn't exploit it, and I have no reason not to believe that.
I am curious as to who the other finalists were for the job.

Real deal

Quote from: Moonshiner on April 21, 2014, 10:30:30 am

That's not true.  Don't see anyone hating on Concord.  Cedar Ridge won it two years in a row.  Nothing but respect and love for them.  So winning has nothing to do with it.   And thanks for admitting that being a respected winner is not important to you.

No I don't care if you and your cronies respect us as winners. Big difference!!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas