• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Iliad by Homer

Started by phdefense, September 23, 2009, 08:43:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

phdefense

September 23, 2009, 08:43:48 am Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 08:47:00 am by phdefense
I was wondering if anyone here has read this. It is one of the better fictional works of all time. Anyone who liked the movie Troy would like this book. I read it and it's sequel The Odyssey when I was around 11 or 12 so it has been a while (22 years) , but they are a very good read. And the second oldest preserved literature in existence the oldest being the Bible.

The Reality is back...

Troy is only a good movie if you're NOT a fan of the Iliad, imo. They changed waaaaay too much.

phdefense

Quote from: Agent of Chaos on September 23, 2009, 10:16:28 am
Troy is only a good movie if you're NOT a fan of the Iliad, imo. They changed waaaaay too much.

They most likely had to, to meet time constraints. To give the book justice it would have been a 9 hour movie. They made Hector and Paris too nice to each other. And they made Hector way to weak. In the book normal men could not even pick up Hector's shield or throw his spear. And Odysseus was even worse normal men could not even string his bow, but in the movie he was barely able to fight at all. And of course they left out all the interference of the greek gods altogether. They did make the fight between Hector and Achilles better in the movie though, if they had done that fight according to the book it would have been anticlimactic to say the least.

True Believer

I loved both Iliad and The Odyssey.   Gotta love those Greeks!!!!

Mike Bonds

I have.  It's great.  Long, but great.  I'd recommend the translation by Robert Fagles.

RATTLER43

I read them and the Aeneid when in high school. I really struggled keeping up with what was going on. My senior year the Iliad was required. My teacher explained it as we went along. It just opened up and I loved it. Read Odyssey again my freshman year in college. By that time the story made perfect sense.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas