• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wizards and Dragons

Started by Made, April 28, 2009, 01:55:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Made

Not much into reading non-fiction books, lean more towards the midevil mythology/fantasy Dungeons and Dragons type books.  I believe I have read every RA Salvatore book that falls under this category, and am looking for more authors that put out similar type work.  If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be greatly appreciative.

Made

I must be the absolute opposite of everyone on this board lol.

HorseFeathers

I like the dragon myth books if you want to call them that. I doubt they are what you are looking for but maybe some of the dragon lance books would be of interest to you

Texarkana_Piggie

my husband has read the eragon books.  he said they were very good.  didn't like the movies.  i think there is one more of them coming out.

SLC

Quote from: Made on April 28, 2009, 01:55:37 pm
Not much into reading non-fiction books, lean more towards the midevil mythology/fantasy Dungeons and Dragons type books.  I believe I have read every RA Salvatore book that falls under this category, and am looking for more authors that put out similar type work.  If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be greatly appreciative.

I recommend you start reading the more serious "Epic Fantasy" genre.  These books are much more substantive than the Forgotten Realm series or even Dragon Lance.  The writing is better, more mature. 

I think you should start with The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.  The first book is The Eye of the World.

If you like The Wheel of Time, then it it is time to try Martin.  George RR Martin has a series called A Song of Ice and Fire, it is very good.  So good HBO is producing a pilot of the first book, A Game of Thrones.  This series is not for the squeemish or faint of heart.  It can be violent and has some sex.

I would start with those two series. 

Good Luck.

SLC

Death_Knight

August 13, 2009, 06:31:57 pm #5 Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 06:36:56 pm by Death_Knight
The Belgariad series by David Eddings is pretty good,

Fred Saberhagen has the books of swords trilogy I thought was also pretty good.

DK

muleshoe_forever

August 23, 2009, 09:34:31 pm #6 Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 09:37:52 pm by muleshoe_forever
Have you read The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks. It is the first of a trilogy and she has many more books. Its not exactly dragons, but it does have a wizard if I remember correctly. It is also rather long (734 pgs. I believe) but well worth the read. I liked it as much as I did the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Sorry if I am off on some of the information for it has been several years since I have read the book.

SLC

Quote from: muleshoe_forever on August 23, 2009, 09:34:31 pm
Have you read The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks. It is the first of a trilogy and she has many more books. Its not exactly dragons, but it does have a wizard if I remember correctly. It is also rather long (734 pgs. I believe) but well worth the read. I liked it as much as I did the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Sorry if I am off on some of the information for it has been several years since I have read the book.

Terry Brooks is pretty good. 

Death_Knight

Quote from: muleshoe_forever on August 23, 2009, 09:34:31 pm
She is a he. Terry Brooks is a guy, but the books are pretty good, I read the Sword of Shannara years ago.

HorseFeathers

I love terry brooks the shannara series..is much more than a trilogy...i thnk its about 20 books now that he connected the knight of the word series to shannara. he called his wizards ..druids

monster_island

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever was a pretty good read.

redwolf143

Terry Pratchett.  Myth mixed with British comic relief.  Disc world rocks!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas