• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blue Like Jazz

Started by The Reality is back..., March 30, 2009, 12:12:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Reality is back...

Great, great read. I would suggest it to anybody who is searching for a more personal way to worship God than singing old hymns.

Anyone else read it?

The Reality is back...

I lost my faith in religion long ago, and this book gave me faith that there are places where people who think like me congregate and worship, without all the things about most churches I hate.

If anything, it reaffirmed my faith in Christianity.

True Believer

This is one that I plan to read this summer. 

SandLizard04

I've had about five different people tell me I need to read this.

Eddie Goodson

I've got it on my bookshelf. I've got it read it.

theHammer

Quote from: Agent of Chaos on March 30, 2009, 12:33:25 am
I lost my faith in religion long ago, and this book gave me faith that there are places where people who think like me congregate and worship, without all the things about most churches I hate.

If anything, it reaffirmed my faith in Christianity.
I really am glad you finally read it. I knew you would enjoy it.

RM, you should, too. Seriously.

Anybody read Through Painted Deserts? Great follow up read.

Uncle Ivan

Don Miller's a little flaky and is too liberal for my liking, but Blue Like Jazz is excellent.

To Own A Dragon is also a good read.

Texarkana_Piggie

i liked the shack.  made me completely re-think the trinity.  and forgiveness.

Ken Griffey Jr.

I have read all 4 of those books by Miller, they are all great.  I definitely recommend reading all of them.

theHammer

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on March 31, 2009, 08:24:44 am
I couldn't get beyond the New Age influences in the books (some of the things were appalling). It sounded like Oprah wrote the book.

The Reality is back...

Quote from: theHammer on March 31, 2009, 08:18:22 pm
Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on March 31, 2009, 08:24:44 am
I couldn't get beyond the New Age influences in the books (some of the things were appalling). It sounded like Oprah wrote the book.

I totally agree.

Uncle Ivan

I purchased the paperback of The Shack a month or two ago and still haven't gotten around to cracking it.

Should I, or would it be a waste of my time?

theHammer

I guess it depends on who you are, and what you believe. But, if Donald Miller was too liberal for you, I would stay away from it. Or give it a shot (and expect to be disappointed).

Uncle Ivan

He came off as a little too liberal, but Miller strikes me more as squirrely.  I can't get a good read on the guy.

My brother has read the book and raved about it - and new age, he is not.

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 31, 2009, 09:56:07 pm
He came off as a little too liberal, but Miller strikes me more as squirrely.  I can't get a good read on the guy.

My brother has read the book and raved about it - and new age, he is not.

do you mean the shack?  i loved it and i'm about as unliberal as it gets.  i thought it was an excellent allegory of the trinity and healing.

Uncle Ivan

No, Miller, not the Shack.

warriorsforever

It took me a while to get through Blue Like Jazz- but I thought it was a good read that made me at least look at my faith a little closer.  The Shack - once I picked it up, I could not put it down- it was a a book that really made me think about a lot of stuff.  I gave about 6 of these books as Christmas gifts and encouraged everyone to read it

theHammer

Well as a Christian I have a tough time accepting things like:

God is limited by His love and cannot practice justice; God will never judge people for their sins; God submits to human wishes and choices; there is no such a thing as eternal judgment or torment in heck (this destination will get censored, but you know what I'm trying to say); Jesus is walking with all people in their different journeys to God, and it doesn't matter which way you get to Him; Jesus is constantly being transformed along with us; there is no need for faith or reconciliation with God because everyone will make it to heaven; the Bible is not true because it reduces God to paper..

But, maybe that's just me.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: theHammer on April 05, 2009, 01:50:30 pm
Well as a Christian I have a tough time accepting things like:

God is limited by His love and cannot practice justice; God will never judge people for their sins; God submits to human wishes and choices; there is no such a thing as eternal judgment or torment in heck (this destination will get censored, but you know what I'm trying to say); Jesus is walking with all people in their different journeys to God, and it doesn't matter which way you get to Him; Jesus is constantly being transformed along with us; there is no need for faith or reconciliation with God because everyone will make it to heaven; the Bible is not true because it reduces God to paper..

But, maybe that's just me.
If that's what the book says, you just saved me some wasted time.

The Reality is back...

theHammer

Quote from: Agent of Chaos on April 05, 2009, 09:05:50 pm
Its not.
If you're referring to what I said about The Shack, I would like to hear why you think they aren't. They might have been subtle, but they are definitely there.

The Reality is back...

Quote from: theHammer on April 05, 2009, 10:41:37 pm
Quote from: Agent of Chaos on April 05, 2009, 09:05:50 pm
Its not.
If you're referring to what I said about The Shack, I would like to hear why you think they aren't. They might have been subtle, but they are definitely there.

Oh, I thought we were talking about BLJ...I haven't read the Shack. My mom liked it too much, meaning I probably wouldn't. My bad. I was confused.

theHammer

Its all good. I probably wasn't as clear as I should have been anyways.

Texarkana_Piggie

i didn't get any of that from the shack.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas