• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Proposed 6A Conference Alignments 2018-19

Started by Brian G, June 07, 2017, 01:57:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

June 07, 2017, 01:57:09 pm Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:11:43 am by B.G.
This would be FOOTBALL ONLY as other sports are likely to go to a new alignment(16 6A, next 32 5A)

CLASS 6A
6A-EAST: Jacksonville, Jonesboro, Marion, Mountain Home, Pine Bluff, Searcy, Sylvan Hills, West Memphis
6A-WEST: Benton, El Dorado, Greenwood, Lake Hamilton, Little Rock Hall, Russellville, Sheridan, Siloam Springs

HorseFeathers

GuvHog

Quote from: B.G. on June 07, 2017, 01:57:09 pm
This would be FOOTBALL ONLY as other sports are likely to go to a new alignment(16 6A, next 32 5A)

CLASS 6A
6A-EAST: Jacksonville, Jonesboro, Marion, Mountain Home, Pine Bluff, Sylvan Hills, West Memphis
6A-WEST: Benton, El Dorado, Greenwood, Lake Hamilton, Little Rock Hall, Russellville, Sheridan, Siloam Springs

Isn't Searcy also in the 6A East??

Proud Buckaroo

thebigshot

thebigshot

June 16, 2017, 07:46:45 pm #5 Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 07:48:57 pm by thebigshot
That is the most stupidest conference alignment I have ever seen.

This actually makes more sense.

6A North
Greenwood
Russellville
Mt. Home
West- Memphis
Siloam Springs
Jonesboro
Marion
Searcy

6A South
El Dorado
Pine Bluff
Lake Hamilton
Benton
LR Hall
Sylvan Hills
Sheridan
Jacksonville

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Have you done the mileage on it for both conferences?  Seems like you're just switching which conference has the most travel.   I have no idea which is better, but with your way,  West Memphis and Marion would be driving right by three 6A South teams (Jacksonville,  Sylvan Hills,  and Hall) on their way to Russellville,  Greenwood,  and Siloam. I think it's obvious that there is no good way to make two conferences out of these 16 teams.

thebigshot

And you want El Dorado to play Greenwood and Russellville in a conference game. That is stupid, if I recall the AAA wanted to cut down on the time spending on the road. How is El Dorado playing Greenwood in a conference game cutting down time spent on the road ? Knowing they could play Hall, Jacksonville, S. Hills in a shorter trip.

AAA really screwed this up, there's no common sense with having a job there period. Anyone who thinks El Dorado vs Greenwood / Russellville is a good idea is really a complete idiot with that mind set.

The reality is 6A needs 32 teams and not 16. You got too many teams going on a 4+ hour bus ride for a conference game when it should be 2 hours at most.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: thebigshot on June 17, 2017, 09:26:52 am
And you want El Dorado to play Greenwood and Russellville in a conference game. That is stupid, if I recall the AAA wanted to cut down on the time spending on the road. How is El Dorado playing Greenwood in a conference game cutting down time spent on the road ? Knowing they could play Hall, Jacksonville, S. Hills in a shorter trip.

AAA really screwed this up, there's no common sense with having a job there period. Anyone who thinks El Dorado vs Greenwood / Russellville is a good idea is really a complete idiot with that mind set.

The reality is 6A needs 32 teams and not 16. You got too many teams going on a 4+ hour bus ride for a conference game when it should be 2 hours at most.

I don't want El Dorado to play Greenwood and Russellville [and Siloam] in a conference game, but I don't think Jonesboro, Marion, Searcy, and West Memphis should either.  However, you are putting the blame in the wrong place.  This was voted on around 2005 by the member schools, not the AAA.  Every other cycle since then has had a proposal to try to remedy the situation, and it either gets voted down, or people hate it when it gets put into practice (6A / 7A combined with power points, 5A / 6A combined for regular season only). 

rona

Well said Coach DePriest. The Board and AAA have labored for a long time trying to make the best out of a bad situation. The current system given the enrollment numbers seem to be the best option given that everyone is going to have two long drives in Conference Play. Unfortunately, we are a small State with big time enrollment differences in the wrong places.

GuvHog

El Dorado playing Greenwood, Russellville, and Siloam Springs makes a great deal more sense than making West Memphis and Marion travel all the way across the state to do the same thing. 

Wonderdog

Quote from: rona on June 19, 2017, 08:14:02 am
Well said Coach DePriest. The Board and AAA have labored for a long time trying to make the best out of a bad situation. The current system given the enrollment numbers seem to be the best option given that everyone is going to have two long drives in Conference Play. Unfortunately, we are a small State with big time enrollment differences in the wrong places.
The other notable piece of information, which you kind of referenced, is that those 2 "long" drives only happens that many times. Since it is football only you only have to make those drives once or twice not including any playoff drives.

GuvHog

Quote from: Wonderdog on June 19, 2017, 01:20:09 pm
The other notable piece of information, which you kind of referenced, is that those 2 "long" drives only happens that many times. Since it is football only you only have to make those drives once or twice not including any playoff drives.

Yeah, it's not as big of a deal as some make it out to be because since they play on Fridays, the players and coaches can sleep in late on Saturday mornings.

thebigshot

What makes sense is move the top 16 schools from 5A to 6A and have 32 teams in 6A and move the top 16 from 4A to 5A and so on.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: thebigshot on June 24, 2017, 11:19:53 am
What makes sense is move the top 16 schools from 5A to 6A and have 32 teams in 6A and move the top 16 from 4A to 5A and so on.

Cause being the biggest 16 schools is much better than the smaller 16 in their class right?

AHS06

Quote from: HorseFeathers on June 24, 2017, 12:14:49 pm
Cause being the biggest 16 schools is much better than the smaller 16 in their class right?
Well that scenario does solve the distance issue.

SouthpawSensation

June 24, 2017, 04:25:52 pm #16 Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 08:00:02 pm by SouthpawSensation

Let me get this straight ... you don't like El Dorado going to Greenwood (217 miles) and Russellville (197 miles) for conference games, but not once did you mention Siloam Springs (337 miles)?
Yet, in your alignment of north and south, you're OK with trips of 336 miles from Siloam Springs to West Memphis, 339 miles from Siloam Springs to Marion and 312 miles from Siloam Springs to Jonesboro?
Not to pick on you, bigshot, but this conference alignment wasn't easy. You're right with putting 6A with 7A, but there are certain schools in 6A (El Dorado isn't one of them) that don't want to play 7A schools, and you can't get them to change their minds. Then they will get their smaller school buddies to help them vote down any proposal that groups the two together.
This alignment, while it isn't great, it's the best situation because it considers all schools involved. I did the math and, while your north-south 6A alignment would be less miles, it causes schools in the north to have almost 3 times as much travel as those in the south (not to mention going right between the Little Rock schools and Jacksonville to get to West Memphis and Marion.
Under the current alignment, the West has just over 7,000 one-way miles over a two-year span, while the East schools have almost 6,000. It's the least amount of mileage while keeping things as balanced as possible.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on June 24, 2017, 04:25:52 pm
Let me get this straight ... you don't like El Dorado going to Greenwood (217 miles) and Russellville (197 miles) for conference games, but not once did you mention Siloam Springs (337 miles)?
Yet, in your alignment of north and south, you're OK with trips of 336 miles from Siloam Springs to West Memphis, 339 miles from Siloam Springs to Marion and 312 miles from Siloam Springs to Jonesboro?
Not to pick on you, bigshot, but this conference alignment wasn't easy. You're right with putting 6A with 7A, but there are certain schools in 6A (El Dorado isn't one of them) that don't want to play 7A schools, and you can't get them to change their minds. Then they will get their smaller school buddies to help them vote down any proposal that groups the two together.
This alignment, while it isn't great, it's the best situation because it considers all schools involved. I did the math and, while your north-south 6A alignment would be less miles, it causes schools in the north to have almost 3 times as much travel as those in the south (not to mention going right between the Little Rock schools and Jacksonville to get to West Memphis and Marion.
Under the current alignment, the West has just over 7,000 one-way miles over a two-year span, while the East schools have almost 6,000. It's the least amount of mileage while keeping things as balanced as possible.

That's the thing.....when looking at the conferences, folks don't want to understand for the most part the schools are to blame for the mess. They also only want to look at it from their schools view point....

blueandwhite

I still say the best way to do it is let the schools make up the conferences, with little thought on size.  Than divide up by school enrollment for the playoffs. This would work for all sports.

samschoice

Quote from: blueandwhite on June 27, 2017, 08:46:33 am
I still say the best way to do it is let the schools make up the conferences, with little thought on size.  Than divide up by school enrollment for the playoffs. This would work for all sports.

This has to be a joke.  Could you imagine the logistics of actually making this happen?  How in the world do you think you would be able to get all the schools in an area to agree on who should be in the conferences?  How in the world would those remote districts, ever find 7 other teams to join?  Or, how would those powerhouse programs ever find a conference willing to let them in?

There is zero chance this would ever work.

MHFAN

This will probably be the dumbest thing I have ever posted but here goes, why not play every game with a travel distance over say 200 miles at a neutral site?  Ok ready for the attack!!

Wonderdog

Quote from: MHFAN on June 27, 2017, 04:24:21 pm
This will probably be the dumbest thing I have ever posted but here goes, why not play every game with a travel distance over say 200 miles at a neutral site?  Ok ready for the attack!!
Not a bad idea, but it would require lots of teamwork from multiple parties.
1. Finding a venue that is in the "neutral" area that both teams would agree upon.
2. Making sure that venue is not hosting their own home game.
3. Operation of facilities at the host site (concessions, ticket booth, security (if needed) among other variables i am not considering
4. Admin on duty, at least 1 administrator is supposed to be in attendance for athletic contests.
5. Extra duty/requirement by host site admins. Someone from the host school (or multiple people) would need to be in attendance to ensure the house doesn't get burnt down.

Your proposition is a decent solution, but would require exceptional planning and teamwork from several parties.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Wonderdog on June 27, 2017, 06:08:15 pm
Not a bad idea, but it would require lots of teamwork from multiple parties.
1. Finding a venue that is in the "neutral" area that both teams would agree upon.
2. Making sure that venue is not hosting their own home game.
3. Operation of facilities at the host site (concessions, ticket booth, security (if needed) among other variables i am not considering
4. Admin on duty, at least 1 administrator is supposed to be in attendance for athletic contests.
5. Extra duty/requirement by host site admins. Someone from the host school (or multiple people) would need to be in attendance to ensure the house doesn't get burnt down.

Your proposition is a decent solution, but would require exceptional planning and teamwork from several parties.

Have a double/triple/quadruple header at war memorial on Saturday...bam problem solved

ricepig

Quote from: HorseFeathers on June 27, 2017, 06:34:50 pm
Have a double/triple/quadruple header at war memorial on Saturday...bam problem solved

Lol, like high schools want to play at 10am during the regular season on a Saturday morning.

blueandwhite

Quote from: samschoice on June 27, 2017, 10:09:18 am
This has to be a joke.  Could you imagine the logistics of actually making this happen?  How in the world do you think you would be able to get all the schools in an area to agree on who should be in the conferences?  How in the world would those remote districts, ever find 7 other teams to join?  Or, how would those powerhouse programs ever find a conference willing to let them in?

There is zero chance this would ever work.

It works in other states.

Rulesman

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Rulesman on June 28, 2017, 01:57:52 pm
Examples?

Best I can tell Indiana is one....and they seem to operate like college conference's....schools aren't always members of the same conference in all sports....

blueandwhite

Geographical conferences with schools of similar size. For the playoffs, than divide up by school enrollment and geographically.

I am familiar with what Wisconsin does. They have the geographic conferences. Now they don't have a 7A school in the same conference as a 2A school. The conferences are run by the schools in the conference, and they do have some say in what schools are in their conferences.

In Wisconsin the have geographic conferences with schools of similar size. For the playoffs they take the top 224 teams, all conference champions and teams with .500 or better conference records. If there is more or less than 224 teams that meet this criteria, they have a system in place to fill the slots. They than divide into 7 classifications of 32 teams each, than divide the classifications into 4 8-team regions. The coaches in each region meet and decide on the seedings, and they play it out.

The conference I am familiar with is a 8 team conference, with school enrollment from 1,292 to 571 students. They had 6 teams in the playoffs, spread over 3 of the classifications.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas