• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who will next year's contenders be?

Started by businesstron, March 15, 2017, 04:03:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

businesstron

Off the top of my head I think North Little Rock and Harber will be the best teams in their respected conferences.  NLR has two sophome (Fudge and Moore) that will do big things next year and they have a few more under classmen that will make them the favorite next year.

Harber is young.  They will lose King and a couple of shooters but Austin Garrett (a freshman) should be a good replacement and Tyler Garrett and Tylor Perry will be one of the best backcourts in 7a.  They also have a few other players coming back that will make them good.

Van Buren will lose Berkner but thay have a lot coming back.   I'm not too familiar with Bentonville West but they were decent this year with underclassmen.  They should be better Next year. 

Honestly I'm not sure how the Central will look minus NLR and Northside.  Northside will have Joe back but they will lose a bunch.  I think most of their starting lineup were seniors so no Norwood, No Brewer, no Forsey, No Perry, No Taylor.  They'll probably be okay by the end of the year but I don't expect them to contend. 

The rest of the Central though I think most of the play off teams had alot of senior soooo not expecting much.

ozarkansas

On the girls side, Fayetteville returns their two leading scorers.  But they lose two all-state players and one all-conference player and they lose most of their depth.

North Little Rock is in the best shape.  They return four starters and have depth in their lineup.

Central loses their two best players and more.  I don't think they will be a contender next year.

Northside loses three of their top four scorers.

Van Buren loses their best post but returns their best player Jamilyn Kinney.

I think NLR is the favorite, followed by Fayetteville.  So I'm predicting a re-match of this year's final.  Of course it's hard to say who is coming up that might have an impact except I know one Fayetteville freshman (Coriah Beck) who is likely to have an impact next year.

BigLion10

Saw where NLR added Moses Moody to their roster from Parkview. He played huge for them as a frosh last season

Trojanball24

Top 5 on the boys side:
1. NLR
2. Harber
3. Bentonville
4. Cabot
5. Northside/Van Buren

BigMan15

My Top 5

1. NLR
2. Harber
3. Northside
4. Bentonville
5. Van Buren

FoxandHound34

Looks like Coach Rice has been on the recruiting trail once again, pulling Moody from Parkview and Doakes from poor ole Jacksonville Lighthouse NLR should win again

Arkman

Central is looking tough this year, but im almost sure NLR will pull although they don't have as much depth as they did last year, the first 5 on the floor will be dangerous. (Doakes, Fudge, Moore, Moody)

In the west, it is up for grabs between Haber and Van Buren who just received a transfer form clarskeville it will only add to a talented roster. It should be interesting to see Jorden West and Tyler perry square off with their "super teams".

I would put my money on NLR though.

Trojanball24

Arkman

Fayetville has Collin Cooper, but i do not see that being enough to compete for a conference title.

Bentonville has a good overall team, not all the talent in the world, but with Shanks (D1 Talent) they should have a pretty decent shot at at least 3rd in the west.

I don't see either one of these teams competing with harber or van buren.

BirdCall

NLR will win hands down they have the arguably the best player in the state no matter the class in Gerald Doakes transferred in form Jacksonville Lighthouse.

NEABallftw

Gerald Doakes, is by far not their best player.  Moore, Fudge, and Moody are their top 3 and they are all leaps and bounds above Doakes.  Doakes doesn't know how to play in a real offense and he is only athleticism.  I've seen him play since 7th grade, great athlete, but not a great team player.

coachzo

U are not lying....Gerald probably wont start for this group. He will be a great sixth man cause he's instant offense. Coach Rice likes to run and gun so he will fit perfectly into that system off of the bench. Doakes is the best athlete on the team no doubt but hes not the best 2020 player in there class....Devonte Davis from Lighthouse is the best player in that class

NEABallftw

I've said that for years now that Devo was the better player of the two. Devo has the court vision and a better all around game.

ZoneBuster

Man, if 2020 class is so legit, Anderson better make sure he gets as many as possible.

BirdCall

Quote from: JagHog on September 15, 2017, 03:51:10 pm
Gerald Doakes, is by far not their best player.  Moore, Fudge, and Moody are their top 3 and they are all leaps and bounds above Doakes.  Doakes doesn't know how to play in a real offense and he is only athleticism.  I've seen him play since 7th grade, great athlete, but not a great team player.
[/quote
You say that those players are better than Doakes lets be honest about this Moody might have a chance to be better because he is bigger and longer. There is no telling how much he might grow.Come on now don't say Doakes just plays off athleticism he got serious game for real andis  often compared to Malik Monk and we see where he is at right now in the league about to get buckets.

BirdCall

Quote from: JagHog on September 18, 2017, 09:26:21 am
I've said that for years now that Devo was the better player of the two. Devo has the court vision and a better all around game.
Devo is up there with Doakes and Moody don't get me wrong. The way he runs his team and still able to get his at anytime is amazing to me and he like Doakes still have a lot of filling out to do. The skills are there for sure with the athleticism to go with it.

BirdCall

Quote from: coachzo on September 18, 2017, 09:20:12 am
U are not lying....Gerald probably wont start for this group. He will be a great sixth man cause he's instant offense. Coach Rice likes to run and gun so he will fit perfectly into that system off of the bench. Doakes is the best athlete on the team no doubt but hes not the best 2020 player in there class....Devonte Davis from Lighthouse is the best player in that class
Lets not say that now everybody knows pound for pound the kid from West Memphis is the best player in the class. The young bull had like 30+ double this summer in AAU. He is already a grown man among boys. Who cares if Doakes doesn't start...He is still he 2nd best or best player on that team check the offers/interest down the line my guy. Forget rankings I'm talking straight game and skill.

NEABallftw

I hate the comparison to Monk, he is more closely related to an Archie Goodwin.  Athletic and will pick up lots of big time offers but doesn't have the attitude to be a Malik Monk

BirdCall

Quote from: JagHog on September 19, 2017, 07:36:48 am
I hate the comparison to Monk, he is more closely related to an Archie Goodwin.  Athletic and will pick up lots of big time offers but doesn't have the attitude to be a Malik Monk
I personally seen and played against Archie in High School he was just bigger and faster than his peers in high school. He had a NBA PG body already his senior year. Never really was a major threat from the 3 line either. Doakes is just like Malik in a sense as that lanky long bucket maker at all three levels that has moves that no one can stop. If he misses a shot its not because of the defense he just missed that's it. Just so happens that he is really athletic just like Monk to make his game even crazier at this age just like Malik was at this age. Not saying he will be better than Malik but he is following the same path he did. Moving up from the 2A to 7A after his freshmen year killing the competition with Devo. I am surprised Doakes and Devo didn't transfer to Central so they could have their own team to be honest. Instead of super teaming NLR. 

NEABallftw

In the words of coach parker at lighthouse Devo is loyal and Doakes is not. doakes wanted the spotlight and devo cares more about making lasting relationships.  Doakes got benched and pulled out of several games last year because of his attitude and innability to play with the team.  Rice will have not part of that, and will get rid of him 

BirdCall

Quote from: JagHog on September 19, 2017, 12:11:08 pm
In the words of coach parker at lighthouse Devo is loyal and Doakes is not. doakes wanted the spotlight and devo cares more about making lasting relationships.  Doakes got benched and pulled out of several games last year because of his attitude and innability to play with the team.  Rice will have not part of that, and will get rid of him
I doubt he will gt rid of him but if he does I'm sure some other Little Rock school will take a bucket like him on their team to help them win. Either way at the end of the day I see him going to a high Major college. And honestly yea he could have stayed at Lighthouse for his Sophomore year but its only like 1 or 2 teams that could compete with them being Lepanto and then Earle which won state. So i don't blame him for wanting to go play better competition just about every game so he could get better and have a challenge. Doakes and Devo prolly would have both averaged 25+ in 2A this season coming up. Devo will be up out of their next year just watch.

Ctucker

What was Jacksonville  light house record last year. I think more than one team beat them. More like 5 I think!

Central AR

Quote from: JagHog on September 15, 2017, 03:51:10 pm

It's time to lay off the drugs. I don't think anyone can take you serious by saying those 3 are leaps and bounds above Doakes. I hate to use offers as a measuring stick but I don't think Moore/Fudge have any offers remotely close to Texas A&M or SMU. Moses Moody and Doakes will be there 2 leading scorers this season. I'll be shocked if that's not how it ends up.

NEABallftw

You clearly haven't seen Moore or Fudge play then.  The only reason Doakes has so many early offers is because he plays for the wings and all those starters got the same offers.  Fudge and Moore and Moody will evenly score most nights

Central AR

September 22, 2017, 08:31:27 am #24 Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:35:21 am by Central AR
Quote from: JagHog on September 22, 2017, 07:22:59 am
You clearly haven't seen Moore or Fudge play then.  The only reason Doakes has so many early offers is because he plays for the wings and all those starters got the same offers.  Fudge and Moore and Moody will evenly score most nights

Same offers you say? Nobody on that 15u Wings team has a Texas A&M offer outside of Doakes. The 3 class of 2020 players receiving the most college interest is Chris Moore, Gerald Doakes, and Moses Moody. Also playing for the Wings doesn't guarantee you an offer. You sound like you just started watching basketball this year. Also Moore plays for the Wings and Fudge plays for the Hawks (great program) and the only offer between them is UALR. So apparently playing for a really good aau team doesn't guarantee you anything actually.

BigLion10

I think Doakes has the talent to be one of the best players to come out of Arkansas the lase decade or so. Now his attitude needs a lot of work, reminds me of Madden when he was at EPC in that regard, great player with a not so great attitude

BirdCall

Quote from: Central AR on September 22, 2017, 01:19:10 am
It's time to lay off the drugs. I don't think anyone can take you serious by saying those 3 are leaps and bounds above Doakes. I hate to use offers as a measuring stick but I don't think Moore/Fudge have any offers remotely close to Texas A&M or SMU. Moses Moody and Doakes will be there 2 leading scorers this season. I'll be shocked if that's not how it ends up.
Finally somebody with a real eye for basketball on here. I agree with you on your statement.

BirdCall

Quote from: JagHog on September 22, 2017, 07:22:59 am
Fudge played for the Arkansas Hawks and Moore played for the 16U Wings so what does Doakes playing for the 15U Wings have to do with anything? They all had the chance to get offers this summer on pretty good AAU programs the only difference is the Wings 15U team was ranked top 5 in the nation the whole season and won at least 30 with maybe 5 losses at the least so don't you think the winning team with good chemistry would get more offers? They have maybe 7 D1 players on that team and 3-4 of them will be high major D1 players. It's not there fault coaches notice talent and teamwork between them to offer them early.

Central AR

September 27, 2017, 02:21:55 am #28 Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 02:31:05 am by Central AR
Quote from: BirdCall on September 26, 2017, 10:22:00 am
Fudge played for the Arkansas Hawks and Moore played for the 16U Wings so what does Doakes playing for the 15U Wings have to do with anything? They all had the chance to get offers this summer on pretty good AAU programs the only difference is the Wings 15U team was ranked top 5 in the nation the whole season and won at least 30 with maybe 5 losses at the least so don't you think the winning team with good chemistry would get more offers? They have maybe 7 D1 players on that team and 3-4 of them will be high major D1 players. It's not there fault coaches notice talent and teamwork between them to offer them early.

All good points. That guy essentially was saying Doakes got carried by his teammates and these colleges went ahead and offered a handful of them without watching footage. So SMU didn't offer the entire team lol I can confirm that. Texas A&M came in and just offered Doakes. Nobody else. Based on that guys knowledge the entire 16u and 17u Wings should have solid offers and everyone on the Hawks 15u-17u should have solid offers. I can't believe someone believes that nonsense. Not sure how they made it past the email verification on here.

Central AR

A team to pay attention to is Conway. 2020 SG/SF Caleb London transferred in from Memphis University. He of course started most guys this summer for the Wings 15u team and holds multiple D1 offers including SMU. Conway has a lot of size and length but to bring in a guy who can get you 20+ every night and be your go to guy was big time. On top of that, he's only a sophomore but he can hold his own on defense against some of the best guards in the state. If Conway stays healthy across the board, this team could make a lot of noise come playoffs. Offensively this team will probably be inconsistent at time but London coming on board was that missing piece.

Trojanball24

September 27, 2017, 09:58:30 am #30 Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:57:03 pm by Trojanball24
Whats the word on LR Central?

Arkman

What do you guys think about Van Buren ? (possible state contender)

BirdCall

Quote from: Arkman on September 27, 2017, 10:50:24 am
What do you guys think about Van Buren ? (possible state contender)
Are you talking about the girls? The guys have no chance just being real.

BirdCall

Quote from: Trojanball24 on September 27, 2017, 09:58:30 am
Whats the word on LR Central?
Unless they got some transfers in they lost all the fire power they had last year in the 6'7 kid and Cam.

Ctucker

Bird call I wonder why your so high on 2 kids that got drilled in 2a state last year!

BirdCall

Quote from: Ctucker on October 04, 2017, 08:55:58 pm
Bird call I wonder why your so high on 2 kids that got drilled in 2a state last year!
Well I'm just stating the obvious that they were both freshmen last year and they dominated the 2A last year like they were seniors. They beat a good EPC team that state could have went either way. EPC had 2-3 college basketball players as well. Then the next game they lose to an experience Earle team who were the eventual state champions that are always in the mix for the state title in the 2A any year. So yea for two Freshmen to lead there team that far the whole year and the way they were performing that is why I am really high on them. Then in AAU this summer they went like 30-5 as a team with numerous offers and ranked as a top 5-10 in the Nation. They even beat so called the best sophomore in the state Moses Moody in a head to head match up. And his team is also stacked with players as well. 

Ctucker

Well our school beat them in district finals by 11 with 2 tenth grade guards and nobody on are team went to play college ball! Well one did but that was baseball.

BigLion10

Quote from: Ctucker on October 09, 2017, 11:29:08 am
Well our school beat them in district finals by 11 with 2 tenth grade guards and nobody on are team went to play college ball! Well one did but that was baseball.
Who got beat by us in regionals

Ctucker

Y'all did what's that got to do with lighthouse!both of them kids are good but if they was head and shoulders above everybody, and hands down the best players why did they lose to us Clarendon Earle and others. And by the way good luck beating us this year Big lion!

BigLion10

Ctucker

We will be ready! Good luck to y'all this year!

BirdCall

Quote from: Ctucker on October 09, 2017, 12:12:34 pm
Y'all did what's that got to do with lighthouse!both of them kids are good but if they was head and shoulders above everybody, and hands down the best players why did they lose to us Clarendon Earle and others. And by the way good luck beating us this year Big lion!
They were freshmen were surely in he top 5 players in the 2A last year and that's just stating facts.

Ctucker

Usually if you have 2 top 5 players you would win 2a.And they may have been must of not had much of a coach.

BirdCall

Quote from: Ctucker on October 10, 2017, 03:14:26 pm
Usually if you have 2 top 5 players you would win 2a.And they may have been must of not had much of a coach.
I think it was the first year of the school having a team. I could be wrong but I think its a charter school.

Ctucker

It was there first year too be eligible for state but I know they had a team year before last cause we played them

BirdCall

Does anyone know why Gerald Doakes left North Little Rock and transferred back to Jacksonville Lighthouse?

Ctucker

BigLion10

Ctucker

That's true do they have any rules like private schools! If not it's a screwed up system!

NEABallftw

Quote from: Ctucker on October 18, 2017, 09:06:20 pm
That's true do they have any rules like private schools! If not it's a screwed up system!

Charter schools have to follow all the same rules, they are a public school.  The only difference is that they aren't funded by the public

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas