• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 All State, All Tourney and All Star Teams plus Gatorade Player of the Year

Started by sevenof400, May 16, 2016, 06:55:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

We'll be watching the AAA website for the announcement(s) for each of these teams.  As each team is announced, an active link will be placed appropriately.

Click here for the 2016 All State team.  This is the team selected by the conference coaches based on conference season play.  Click here for more information about how this team is selected.

Note: the example referenced was from 2011 and while the conferences have obviously changed, the general idea on how the team is selected is still illustrated with the referenced post.  It should also be noted that All Conference selections are generally left to the discretion of the individual coach - a coach can choose to recognize any player (or players) from his/her team as All Conference (there is no limit to the number of players a coach can recognize as All Conference).  Also, keep in mind All Conference is NOT an official recognized AAA award - this means no list of All Conference players is/are available.

Click here for the 2016 All Tournament team.  This is the team selected by coaches whose teams made the 2016 playoffs in their respective classifications.  Remember a team had to make the playoffs for a player to be selected to this team.  Coaches of playoff teams are asked by AAA to nominate the players they feel to be worthy of this distinction.

Click here for the 2016 All Star team.  This is the team comprised of seniors and selected from input first made by the conference coaches.  At the respective conference meetings, each conference compiles a list of seniors within the conference in ranked order.  This ordered list is then passed along to the all star coaches who (in turn) form the All Star teams using the lists from all of the conferences that make up their respective team (East / West). 

Simply because a player appears on an All Star list at the conference level does NOT guarantee that player will appear in the All Star game BUT the higher a player's name appears on the conference list increases the chances of a player's selection.

All Star coaches look at player ranks AND position.  In other words, the All Star Coaches will NOT simply select the 20 highest rated players with no regard for position. 

Please check out the attached PDF to this post for even more on this process.

Be aware that if you have an athlete selected to participate in the All Star game, that athlete will be required to a recent physical exam.  The physical required by most schools at the beginning of the school year does NOT satisfy the requirement for All Star week participation because that physical is NOT considered current.   

Click here for more information about how this team was selected in 2011 (this is actually a thread that discussed the selection process of a previous year.)

For 2016, the Boys Gatorade Player of the Year is Brady Rosenow.
For 2016, the Girls Gatorade Player of the Year is Caroline Campbell.

It is worth noting the selection process used to identify the Gatorade Player of the Year is a nomination process.  Whether that nomination comes from a coach, fan, parent, player, school official or anyone else is irrelevant. The point of this note is NOT to degrade the accomplishment(s) of anyone nominated or selected as a state or national player of the year, rather that one should keep in mind this process starts with only those player(s) nominated.   

Badger

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 16, 2016, 06:55:46 pm

For 2016, no Boys or Girls Gatorade Player of the Year has been announced at this time.

It is worth noting the selection process used to identify the Gatorade Player of the Year is a nomination process.  Whether that nomination comes from a coach, fan, parent, player, school official or anyone else is irrelevant. The point of this note is NOT to degrade the accomplishment(s) of anyone nominated or selected as a state or national player of the year, rather that one should keep in mind this process starts with only those player(s) nominated.

Brady Rosenow (Conway/Mighty Bluebirds 99) is the boy's 2016 Gatorade Player of the Year.  I don't think the girl's winner has been announced (yes, Buck183, I actually checked).

My son plays club soccer with Brady and says he is not only a good soccer player but a good dude.  He was selected to the Region III ODP 99 team last year.  My understanding is he was not even selected to the Arkansas ODP team; he filled in at the Regional camp as an alternate.  If so, how about that for talent evaluation.  My son has played against Brady for the past 3-4 years and with him this year.  He has improved markedly in that time.  I hear he has really worked on his game the past couple years and obviously, that hard work is paying off for him.  I understand he will attend UCA where his father is a professor.  I am not sure if he is playing soccer there, but I assume so.  Congratulations, Brady!!

http://www.gatorade.com/poy/winners.aspx

Buck183

Quote from: Badger on May 16, 2016, 07:26:44 pm
Brady Rosenow (Conway/Mighty Bluebirds 99) is the boy's 2016 Gatorade Player of the Year.  I don't think the girl's winner has been announced (yes, Buck183, I actually checked).

My son plays club soccer with Brady and says he is not only a good soccer player but a good dude.  He was selected to the Region III ODP 99 team last year.  My understanding is he was not even selected to the Arkansas ODP team; he filled in at the Regional camp as an alternate.  If so, how about that for talent evaluation.  My son has played against Brady for the past 3-4 years and with him this year.  He has improved markedly in that time.  I hear he has really worked on his game the past couple years and obviously, that hard work is paying off for him.  I understand he will attend UCA where his father is a professor.  I am not sure if he is playing soccer there, but I assume so.  Congratulations, Brady!!

http://www.gatorade.com/poy/winners.aspx

I actually got a chuckle out of that one. 

Meant to ask you how your teams did in the playoffs this weekend.  I'm being serious too. 

Buck

Badger

"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." - Unknown

MDXPHD

Quote from: Badger on May 17, 2016, 07:11:31 am
"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." - Unknown

"Fool me once, strike one. But fool me twice, strike three." - Michael Scott

Badger

WPWells

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 17, 2016, 09:29:42 am
"Fool me once, strike one. But fool me twice, strike three." - Michael Scott

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott

razorback

Soccer is 90% mental and the other half is physical....Bogi Yerra.....think he had a famous baseball brother that played catcher for the Yankees, but his name escapes me at the moment.... ;D ;D

CHS-1

sevenof400

Thanks for that info, CHS-1.  I have updated the OP.

And thanks to you too Badger for the info on the Boys Gatorade POY.

arksoccer20

sevenof400

You probably won't see any of these teams announced until sometime next week at the earliest.  We have seen these announcements take until June to be published too. 

revolution

Quote from: CHS-1 on May 17, 2016, 05:05:54 pm
http://www.gatorade.com/poy/profile.aspx?id=16489

Caroline Campbell, Jr, from Bryant is the ladies Gatorade PoY.

This young lady is an all-around superb individual.  She has high character, exceptional academics, and is just a joy to be around.  She is well-deserving of this honor, and it will be fun to see if she can make an impact on the Razorback program when she joins them in the fall of 2017.

sevenof400

It appears the 2016 All State team has been announced.....

BUT

When opened, the list says 2015 team - which I think is a misprint on AAA's part.

MB Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 24, 2016, 04:46:59 pm

BUT

When opened, the list says 2015 team - which I think is a misprint on AAA's part.
where do you see this?

FutbolPhan

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 24, 2016, 04:46:59 pm

BUT

This is the link: http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Soccer/2016/SO_AllState_2016.pdf

They didn't edit the Header on the document to read 2016 but the list is actually from this year's class...

always88

How does CAC get at least 5 selections every year for State? They are definitely a great program no disrespect meant to them at all, but as the champions last year Gentry had 2 selections and this year as defending champions Gentry had 4  selections? CAC had more selections each year, as well as other schools that didn't advance as far... Why? What is, is what is!!! I don't care if everybody thinks it's sour grapes,  no sour grapes here, my daughter has graduated and has been selected all state more than once....just curious how the selection committee works. I'm sure this has happened in more classifications than just 4A girls...just looking for an honest answer.

CHS-1

From what I have read on the selection process, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, it is pretty much up to the coach.  They are given X amount of slots based on where they finish in the conference standings.  If a coach does not use all of their spots, they can be used on a player from another team.  At the conference meeting, each coach presents their list to the other coaches to vote on.  If nobody votes against a player, they are All State.  I find it hard to believe that another coach would vote against a peers list of players. 

So, in short, there will be deserving players recognized, but it boils down to a popularity contest for the coach.

sevenof400

While I cannot speak specifically about what happened to allow CAC to have five all state selections, I can tell you (in general) many conference all state selection processes work this way:

• There is usually a conference meeting at the end of the conference season.  This meeting has (at least) three purposes: 1) Identify (confirm) the teams that will represent the conference in the state tournament, 2) select the conferences's representatives on the All State team and 3) select the conference's representatives to the All Star game.
  • For the All Star team - remember this team is composed of Seniors only - and the assembled coaches identify and rank their seniors for consideration to the All Star coaching staff.
  • For the All State team - each team receives a number of slots (selections) based on their conference finish.  The 1st place team may receive three All State slots, the 2nd place team two slots, the 3rd and 4th places teams one slot each (remember, this is just an example).  But, there is nothing that says a coach must use all of their slots.  So for example, you might see a catch not use one of their team's slots because it does NOT have a player the coach feels is truly deserving of the All State team.  There are some coaches who look a bit further than their own team and will allow another team to have an All State selection because an outstanding player may have played on a team that did NOT receive an All State slot of their own.

sevenof400

There is another problem with the All State teams that is unlikely to be fixed anytime soon and that is the distribution of All State teams slotted per each conference. One should recall that the number of teams in each conference is NOT the same.  The South has only 5 teams, the Central 5, East 6, West 7. By that ratio, you'd expect the breakdown of 44 slots to have the South and Central with the same number of slots, then the East with a bit more and the West with the most.     

If you look at the 5A Girls, the South was clearly the weakest of the four conferences (losing all four 1st round games in the playoffs).  Yet, the South received 9 bids:
4 DeQueen
3 Hot Springs
1 HS Lakeside
1 White Hall

The Central was only better in that PA (Central champ) made it to the title game.  The Central received 13 slots:
6 Pulaski Academy
3 Sylvan Hills
2 Beebe
1 Jacksonville
1 LR Mills

The East was similar to the Central (the East was matched with the South in the first round of the playoffs and swept all four games BUT all East girls teams fell in round 2).  The East  received 10 slots:
3 Valley View
2 Batesville
2 GCT
1 Wynne
1 Paragould
1 Nettleton

And, on the whole, the West was the best conference.  The West received 12 slots:
3 LR Christian
3 Harrison
3 Maumelle
2 Greenbrier
1 Vilonia

Sir Alex

Somebody messed up.  The number of picks is directly related to the number of the teams in the conference. There is no way the central had more than the west if nothing else if would have been the same amount.  I guess the aaa missed it but without seeing the form the shows the distribution no one will know for sure.  I will see what I can find out.

forumfan

Sir Alex

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 25, 2016, 05:17:03 pm
There is another problem with the All State teams that is unlikely to be fixed anytime soon and that is the distribution of All State teams slotted per each conference. One should recall that the number of teams in each conference is NOT the same.  The South has only 5 teams, the Central 5, East 6, West 7. By that ratio, you'd expect the breakdown of 44 slots to have the South and Central with the same number of slots, then the East with a bit more and the West with the most.     

If you look at the 5A Girls, the South was clearly the weakest of the four conferences (losing all four 1st round games in the playoffs).  Yet, the South received 9 bids:
4 DeQueen
3 Hot Springs
1 HS Lakeside
1 White Hall

The Central was only better in that PA (Central champ) made it to the title game.  The Central received 13 slots:
6 Pulaski Academy
3 Sylvan Hills
2 Beebe
1 Jacksonville
1 LR Mills

The East was similar to the Central (the East was matched with the South in the first round of the playoffs and swept all four games BUT all East girls teams fell in round 2).  The East  received 10 slots:
3 Valley View
2 Batesville
2 GCT
1 Wynne
1 Paragould
1 Nettleton

And, on the whole, the West was the best conference.  The West received 12 slots:
3 LR Christian
3 Harrison
3 Maumelle
2 Greenbrier
1 Vilonia

Pretty sure the central  girls went off the same number of teams as the boys did which would explain the extra picks. Are there some schools that just have boys soccer in the central conference. May have been an honest error.

MDXPHD

There needs to be an entirely different process for an all-state selection. How they have it now makes it almost meaningless.

Sir Alex

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 31, 2016, 08:26:33 pm
There needs to be an entirely different process for an all-state selection. How they have it now makes it almost meaningless.

Agreed, may be that should just have one all state team that includes all four classifications. There could be a first, second and honorable mention team. At least there would be more meaning to it.  The biggest obstacle I see is that all the other sports are doing it the same way as soccer right now and the AAA is always hesitant to let one sport roll its own way.

sevenof400

Quote from: Sir Alex on May 31, 2016, 05:52:09 pm
Pretty sure the central  girls went off the same number of teams as the boys did which would explain the extra picks. Are there some schools that just have boys soccer in the central conference. May have been an honest error.

Yes. 

LR McClellan and LR Fair do not have girls soccer.

Go Postal

sevenof400

obamabill

Where can I find the All-Conference Soccer teams being mentioned in the newspaper.  Particularly like to see the 7A West All-Conference Soccer teams (boys and girls)?  Thanks,

sevenof400

Quote from: obamabill on June 06, 2016, 09:42:25 am
Where can I find the All-Conference Soccer teams being mentioned in the newspaper.  Particularly like to see the 7A West All-Conference Soccer teams (boys and girls)?  Thanks,

AAA does not recognize or publish all conference teams so you won't find any mention of those on the AAA website.
Having said that, some newspapers select an All-Area team that covers the school within their area of publication. You'd have to visit newspaper websites to see those lists but with more newspapers making the move to subscription required for access, it has grown very hard to find that info too. 

Some coaches do 'award' their players All Conference status but that decision is left to the individual coaches. 
You will always have difficulty finding much on these teams not honored by AAA.   

Some searching of Twitter might be helpful too.

Wish I had more useful suggestions for you but this is (unfortunately) how things are these days with respect to information... 

Jack1990

sevenof400

Jack,

I wish I had an answer for you but I just don't.
This is likely the latest announcement date for All Star rosters that I can recall.
For what it's worth, it may be the case there have been a slew of roster changes and AAA has tended to wait until they thought they had a set roster before publishing the rosters.
That is pure speculation though....

PressBox-81

Besides Parents I wonder if many will attend these games tonight.

Watching the game on a striped pitch is a whole new experience.

Lionheart88

When I went a couple of years ago, it was played on UCA's soccer/track facility, which is normal grass.  Has some part of that changed?

PressBox-81

Quote from: Lionheart88 on June 22, 2016, 09:35:29 am
When I went a couple of years ago, it was played on UCA's soccer/track facility, which is normal grass.  Has some part of that changed?

The last couple of years it has been played at Estes Stadium and tonight's games will be played there as well.

VHSCoach2

All Star Girls: East 3, West 1, final

All Star Boys: West 2, East 1, final

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas