• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

De Queen soccer

Started by Arkansas8, April 29, 2016, 09:51:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkansas8

What are your thoughts on the De Queen team going into the state tournament???

Jdhelbig

April 29, 2016, 10:29:24 pm #1 Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 10:48:15 pm by Jdhelbig
As a former member of the DeQueen Leopards soccer team, compared to years in the past, I feel like they aren't as talented as prior years that's for sure. However, with that being said, I feel like they have what it takes to win the 5A State Championship through teamwork and coaching ability. Coach Sloan won the State Coach of the Year last year for the whole state, so obviously coaching is not  in question. However, their toughest teams to beat are the more physical ones. They seem to struggle because most players are shorter than 5'8 or 5'7 so taller and more bulkier teams are definitely troubling for them. This is where their depth comes into play. They absolutely run teams to exhaustion using their depth. With that depth there is hardly any drop off of skill. I'd say their biggest challenge this year is putting the ball in the net. Their top 2 scores from last season are not on the team any longer (Estiven Garcia, best player in the state in many people's opinion graduated last year, and #7 "Honduran", which was last year's 5A State Tournament overall MVP is no longer on the team due to personal issues). So that will be the main challenge going forward in my opinion. Hopefully they come out strong and win a 3 Peat for the second time in the schools 8 year soccer program history. 6 State Championships out of 8 years is not too bad, but 7 out of 9 is even better!  :)  ;D  8)

Arbitro

I would second the opinion that they are not as deep or talented this year as in the past. When I saw them in the last few years they would swap 10 players at one time with little drop off in quality of play. That is not really the case this year, at least not when I saw them. They are still a good team and could put together a championship run, but they could also be vulnerable if they don't play their best.

Sir Alex

sevenof400

More than I can recall in recent years, the matchups are going to be critical come playoff time.  No team in 5A looks that dominant this year. 

Jdhelbig

Jdhelbig

When is the DeQueen @ Hope that was scheduled for 4/29 supposed to be played?

Jdhelbig

What was the DQ at White Hall games results for May 3rd? Anyone know?

sevenof400

Quote from: Jdhelbig on May 02, 2016, 02:36:39 pm
When is the DeQueen @ Hope that was scheduled for 4/29 supposed to be played?
I thought that game was played on 4/28 with the DeQueen boys winning 6-1.
I have the girls result for that game as DeQueen 4 - Hope 1. 

sevenof400

Quote from: Jdhelbig on May 04, 2016, 12:33:09 pm
What was the DQ at White Hall games results for May 3rd? Anyone know?

I am looking for this as well.... can someone please post the finals for the boys and girls games?

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

I think the DQ-WH game is being made up today @ DQ since WH plays Hope tomorrow....not 100% sure but I think that's what I heard at yesterday's 5A South Conf. meeting.

Arkansas8

De Queen 7-0 White hall

Jdhelbig

How far do you think DeQueen will go in the state tournament? Both girls and boys!

Jdhelbig

DeQueen up 1 in second half against LRCA. Second round!

Jdhelbig

Jdhelbig

4-0 DQ. Starting to run away with it now

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas