• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3-4A starts friday

Started by Coltfan2005, September 16, 2018, 05:14:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Coltfan2005

Let's get the bad news out of the way. Cave City, Brookland, Highland, and Trumann will be competing for the 5th spot in the conf. Doesn't look like any of them are good enough to touch the top 4 teams...barring an act of "whatever God you choose to worship".

Rivercrest is stumbling on offense but the talent is there. They also appear to have the tightest defense in the conf at this time. I'll give them the nod for 1st seed.

Pokey is two teams, not sure which shows up when. if the coaches get the ball in #3's hand and stop expecting the soph QB to carry the team...they offensively will be hard to stop. defense is ok, but not anything to write home about at this point in the season. #2 or #4.

Gosnell has a fairly strong ground game but a highly suspect defense. They are going to have to rely on their offense to carry the game. Didn't work against Osceola. #2 or #4.

Here's my surprise pick (at least to me). Westside in the top 4 spots. In the early 1990's and 2000's I never thought I would think that. Offensive seems capable of huge numbers and the defense is playing "just good enough". Westside will beat te bottom four and have the capability of knocking off one (maybe 2?) of what (at this time) looks like the top 3. I'm gonna go out and say Westside at #3 in conf.

Of course, anything can change in the top 4, it's early in the season. Rivercrest offense may stay cold. Pokey may ignore their big play man, Gosnell could be flatter than a pancake, and Westside could have already played their best games of the year.

bootlegger

this looks like a pretty fair assesment to me,but like you say conference games bring out the best in some teams.

Coltfan2005

GMAT

Dawson got a taste of a top class 5 team in Nettleton and number four  4A Southside. Nobody in 3 4A compares to those 2 teams. Nobody in 3 4A has played that caliber of non conference schedule except pokey. Nearly Mercy Ruled Paragould in the second quarter with Dawson at QB. He will be fine and Devin will shine running the ball and receiving. Conference play won't be easy but it'll be a welcomed relief. The toughest games are behind. Defense is solid. This team is young but gets better as the season goes on. Pokey will be the target teams want to knock off. Won't be easy.

Coltfan2005

Quote from: GMAT on September 19, 2018, 06:09:42 pm
Dawson got a taste of a top class 5 team in Nettleton and number four  4A Southside. Nobody in 3 4A compares to those 2 teams. Nobody in 3 4A has played that caliber of non conference schedule except pokey. Nearly Mercy Ruled Paragould in the second quarter with Dawson at QB. He will be fine and Devin will shine running the ball and receiving. Conference play won't be easy but it'll be a welcomed relief. The toughest games are behind. Defense is solid. This team is young but gets better as the season goes on. Pokey will be the target teams want to knock off. Won't be easy.

You haven't played Gosnell or Rivercrest. You are assuming they aren't as good as Batesville SS. You are making a mistake.

GMAT

They aren't ranked as high and so it's a fair assumption

Ghs21

Quote from: GMAT on September 19, 2018, 06:09:42 pm
gosnell played nettleton in week one only lost by a touchdown and had a chance to tie the game but threw a pick

Redskin2015

Rivercrest and gosnell will be no cake walk

bigchief72455

Quote from: Redskin2015 on September 20, 2018, 09:26:37 am
Rivercrest and gosnell will be no cake walk
I don't think Westside will be either.

basketballguy28

Quote from: bigchief72455 on September 20, 2018, 10:05:01 am
I don't think Westside will be either.
I agree, Westside ain't no joke

basketballguy28

Also, let's not forget that just last year Westside went in to Pokey and handed them an L

bigchief72455

Quote from: basketballguy28 on September 20, 2018, 10:30:29 am
Also, let's not forget that just last year Westside went in to Pokey and handed them an L
We haven't forgotten.

Redskin2015

Quote from: bigchief72455 on September 20, 2018, 10:34:34 am
We haven't forgotten.
Westside has a good vanilla run game, not sure about their overall team speed

Coltfan2005

Quote from: GMAT on September 19, 2018, 07:05:18 pm
They aren't ranked as high and so it's a fair assumption

If you are going by rankings you are in for some surprises this season.

basketballguy28

Quote from: Redskin2015 on September 20, 2018, 11:18:03 am
Westside has a good vanilla run game, not sure about their overall team speed
Goodluck stopping those running backs, easier said than done. I wouldn't call it a vanilla running game

bigchief72455

Quote from: basketballguy28 on September 20, 2018, 12:10:12 pm
Goodluck stopping those running backs, easier said than done. I wouldn't call it a vanilla running game
I guess we will find out next week.

basketballguy28

PocahontasPride

Pocahontas defense is underrated and potentially the best in the conference. They only allowed 14 points to VV, held nettleton to 10 in first half and 24 overall, also forcing 8-9 punts. Only allowed 87 total yards of offense against Paragould

Ghs21

Quote from: PocahontasPride on September 20, 2018, 12:57:15 pm
Pocahontas defense is underrated and potentially the best in the conference. They only allowed 14 points to VV, held nettleton to 10 in first half and 24 overall, also forcing 8-9 punts. Only allowed 87 total yards of offense against Paragould
nettleton scored 31 on pokie.. gosnell Held them to just 7 for 3 quarters 14 overall

etowneraser

Here's how I see thing shaking out.
1.   Rivercrest – Most balanced
2.   Gosnell – Will definitely be able to challenge Rivercrest
3.   Westside – Improving and they are playing well
4.   Pocahontas – Inexperience will hurt them.  I hope I'm wrong.
5.   Trumann – Better then most expected
6.   Highland – A down year for a program that is usually solid
7.   Brookland – I hope your homecoming game is against Cave City!
8.   Cave City -  Maybe next season

SuperFan08

1. Gosnell
2. Rivercrest
3. Brookland
4. Westside
5. Pocahontas
6. Truman
7. Highland
8. Cave City

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas