• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014: 4A BOYS FINAL Brookland 60 Lonoke 50

Started by Brian G, March 13, 2014, 06:40:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

March 13, 2014, 06:40:50 pm Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:49:22 pm by B.G.
Congrats to the fans and players from Brookland.

Brian G

March 13, 2014, 06:41:02 pm #1 Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:53:14 pm by B.G.
                  1st   2nd 3rd 4th Total
Brookland    13    15    8   24   60
Lonoke          7    11  10   22   50

Bhs-b            Lhs-b
Field goals 19-35 54.3%     19-49 38.8%
3-point FGs 5-10 50.0%     1-13 7.7%
Free throws 17-29 58.6%   11-19 57.9%
Reb (O-D)   31 (7-24)        26 (11-15)
Turnovers          15              11
Last FG      4th-00:23     4th-00:16
Large lead  13 (2nd-02:25)   none

Brian G

March 13, 2014, 06:41:11 pm #2 Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:54:10 pm by B.G.
Brookland (28-6) 

Player   FG 3FG FT Reb  A  F Pts
10 THOMPSON, Chandler * 2-4 1-3 10-11 1 1 3 15
24 HENRY, CJ  * 2-4 2-2 3-6 3 2 5 9
25 NEWTON, Devon  * 3-6 0-2 1-4 2 0 3 7
32 GROVES, Dillon * 2-5 0-0 1-3 6 1 3 5
34 BALLARD, William  * 4-5 0-0 2-3 13 0 3 10
12 HALES, Clayton  0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0
14 AKIN, Gaylen  0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0
20 GAMLING, Reece  5-10 2-3 0-2 2 0 1 12
22 HUDSON, Patrick   1-1 0-0 0-0 1 0 2 2

Lonoke (26-6) 

Player   FG 3FG FT Reb  A  F Pts
01 GRAY, Tykel * 2-8 0-4 0-1 0 0 3 4
02 RANKIN, Jamel * 3-9 0-2 3-7 5 0 4 9
03 MCCALL, Darrius  * 1-5 0-1 3-4 2 0 5 5
04 MACK, Blake  * 8-16 0-2 3-4 10 0 5 19
12 YOUNG, Darian  * 3-7 1-3 0-1 5 2 5 7
05 COONEY, Cedric  2-3 0-0 0-0 3 0 2 4
10 MORRIS, Anthony   0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 1 0
11 BRYANT, Jawaun  0-0 0-0 2-2 0 0 0 2
20 BRYANT, Brenton  0-1 0-1 0-0 0 0 0 0

Attendance: 2818

bscinar

Congrats to the Bearcats - great year for Coach Gross and the team.

NEA Razorback olfan

ricepig

For a team that couldn't throw it in the ocean last game, looks like they responded well.

Head Lion

ASURedWolf6

Congrats Brookland and Coach Gross. Well deserved.

HankWilliams4President

Awesome for Coach Gross. One of the best around. Also super pumped about getting Blake Mack to ASU and watching him show out on the football field! Looks like he is a heck of an athlete.

Dragon77

Congrats to Coach Gross and the Bearcats! I think that is our first boys state title.

True Believer

Neabballfan

BoxNOne

I love coaches who like to pat themselves on the back. Bobby Gross said in Jonesboro Sun today he took a group of average 8th and 9th graders and turned them into state champs. He did give them credit for being "coachable" and the toughest team in the state. But he basically says he got to Brookland and put in a plan and the rest is history. While all this may be true, why toot your own horn.

Basketballfan10

Bearcatparent

Quote from: BoxNOne on March 14, 2014, 12:57:25 pm
I love coaches who like to pat themselves on the back. Bobby Gross said in Jonesboro Sun today he took a group of average 8th and 9th graders and turned them into state champs. He did give them credit for being "coachable" and the toughest team in the state. But he basically says he got to Brookland and put in a plan and the rest is history. While all this may be true, why toot your own horn.
I think what he meant was he took a group that several used to say had no talent and would never be anything because they were just average and showed what happens when they are pushed and given the right guidance to succeed. These boys have worked as hard as anyone over the last four years and proved they are way above average and that was done with his help and pushing them for sure.

BoxNOne

Bearcat, I have no doubt that Gross has had a huge impact on this group. My problem is that his statements seem to turn the credit to himself. I just think after this sort of victory ALL credit should go to the players. I think the word I am looking for in describing Gross's comments is Narcissist. By the way, congrats to the Bearcats for bringing the title back to NEA.

Nip/Tusk

Lions84

Bearcatparent

Quote from: Josh Louin on March 14, 2014, 08:10:23 pm
What were his quotes?
"I am not disrespecting them, but this was a bunch of average kids in eighth and ninth grade", "They had some ability. I get here and I put a plan together, and I said, 'Guys if you do this, you're going to have a chance to win a state championship.' I can tell you the truth, I didn't think in the back of my mind we would do that.. It wasn't that we jumped the highest or ran the quickest, but we are the toughest. I'll take the toughness of this team against any other team in the state of Arkansas. "It's probably illegal some of the things I did to them, to tell you the truth," "I've coached a lot of groups and there have been some very coachable kids, but this bunch of kids was the most coachable group I've ever known."

Could definitely be taken as a pat on his back but Narcissist is a little strong I would say. Knowing the kids and coach I would lean more to a life changing experience and voyage to a life changing goal. Seems like his passion for the game and these kids gets interpreted in so many different ways, much of which are negative. He also had to sacrifice his time in the early morning and 2 a day practices to get to this plateau.

Nip/Tusk

I see how that could be viewed as a bit arrogant on the coaches part.

What was his plan?  (Other than 2 a days apparently)

Bearcatparent

From watching I would say they learned to play better defense, worked to become stronger and quicker through training programs, participated in drills that made them understand the game and what was expected of them along with I am sure other things. I don't guess he felt the need to list it all out line by line. I don't think 2 a days alone got them to where they ended up though.

Either way I would say they have had a very successful last 4 years and ending it with a State Title is by far the best way to go out. For the Sr's that is.

Bearcat4life

Quote from: BoxNOne on March 14, 2014, 12:57:25 pm

Box, I am not sure why you feel the need to get on a public forum during our time of celebration and dish our coach.  Let the boys and families enjoy the championship they just won.  They worked very hard for it and it was his leadership and coaching that got those boys to the point where they could win it.

If you take exception to something he said, man up and call the school.  You can speak to him directly and discuss his statement and give him pointers that will help better express his role in future championships.  But, I really don't think this is the time or place for critizism, especially from someone that is not part of the program and hasn't seen the changes.

Thanks for the concern for our program.

BoxNOne

Didn't say anything about the players or fans except that the players should recieve all of the glory and credit for this great accomplishment. By the way, hope somebody checks Gross's shoulders to see if they are dislocated from patting himself on the back. Again, much congratulations to the Bearcat players and fans for bringing the title back to NEA.

Hooiser

March 15, 2014, 11:16:12 am #23 Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 12:22:43 pm by Hooiser
All of the credit should go to Coach Gross.  People like to forget that the former Coach before Gross had almost ran off this bunch of seniors.  They were all but done with playing basketball.  He had ran the program into the ground.  Brookland was the laughing joke in NEA. Back then, those kids played a run-and-gun style of play with no defense.  Gross came in and changed that.  He got those kids to buy into a system that is not very popular these days.  I can't imagine what those first couple of years were like for those boys.  He took a group of kids that very few people believed in and made them State Champions!  Congratulations Coach Gross!  I guess there will always be haters in the world.

BoxNOne

I agree Gross deserves a lot of credit.Very good coach. I just don't like coaches who like to give credit to themselves. Let the kids get the credit. By the way, I agree totally about the other coach and the state of the Brookland program.

Bearcat4life

March 15, 2014, 04:58:40 pm #25 Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 08:58:48 pm by Bearcat4life
Quote from: BoxNOne on March 15, 2014, 12:30:48 pm
I agree Gross deserves a lot of credit.Very good coach. I just don't like coaches who like to give credit to themselves. Let the kids get the credit. By the way, I agree totally about the other coach and the state of the Brookland program.

I don't think he was taking credit for himself.  I think he was reminding everyone where this program was so we would remember how far these boys have come in a short time.

I have attended every game this year and talked with coach after every game.  Perhaps if the Sun had printed the entire interview it would be more apparent to everyone that he was praising the boys for the work they have put in to get where they are.

Bearcatparent

Bottom line is this. These boys have worked for 4 years to get to what they accomplished Thursday night. They are STATE CHAMPIONS and no one can take that away from them now. They have made history in the Brookland program the last two years, first Basketball State playoff game win and now first Basketball State Championship. They have also helped Gross achieve something in 4 years that he has worked for since he started coaching, Win a State Championship. In my opinion they make a pretty good team no matter who gets the credit. Congrats to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas